[REMOVE ADS]

Flo and Cindy to Cindy and Lynda

There's been much said about when Cindy first joined the group, she "looked like Flo".

I've seen this JML clip many times, and always thought that Lynda looks just like Cindy.

https://youtu.be/wmceb_0bOtU

For reference, here's Cindy in the almost exact same wig.

https://youtu.be/MBu8pUJNRpg

Was this intentional on Lynda's part; or just as intentional as Cindy in 1967?

Mary I thought for years that it was Cindy in that Sonny and Cher clip lol. I don't know if it was necessary for Lynda to try to look like Cindy as much as it was for Cindy to look like Flo. I do think Lynda's stage presence was very reminiscent of Flo which we all know Cindy studied.

I do think that Flo, Cindy and Lynda resembled each other while they were in the Supremes. I think Cindy did resemble Flo but this was also when they upped the glamour in DRATS and Cindy and Mary sort of visually complimented each other with their looks in this phase while the original group had more visual individuality. When Lynda joined she seemed to wear wigs that resembled Cindy's looks initially and then later seemed to move away from that. But, yes while they were in the group all three of them seemed to resemble one another. Funny, Diana's replacements didn't look anything like her and Susaye certainly did not look at all like Flo, Cindy or Lynda.

Cindy has stated that when she first joined, she tried to mimic flo's wig, wanting to resemble her so as to avoid too jarring of a change. the wig she wears at the Hollywood Bowl event is the side swoop similar to what Flo wore on YCHL on Sullivan.

for a long time I thought this was Cindy and when they performed on Flip Wilson in the short white dresses, I knew that was Linda, and thought that she brought youth, energy and sexiness back to the group. Little did I know it was the same person and what a difference the gowns make.

Interesting that this has all been past down as resembling the former Supremes whether it was Flo, Cindy or Lynda. As a fan or follower I always knew who was in the group on album cover or TV appearance so was Motown trying to fake us out or did we have hope ? When Diana introduced the group it was CINDY BIRDSONG not FLORENCE BALLARD. I don't know how Lynda was introduced but amazing and pretty as she was it was not Cindy. Take a good look at Floy Joy album and tell me if you thought Lynda was Cindy.

The YWSSL clip wasn't the best quality as to the detail on my device, but Lynda's performance was phenomenal. Hard to believe first time on network TV. What a place to open. What strikes me about this song is it has so much more energy seeing it performed even though it's obviously the recorded track. Nice job.

But the UTLTTR clip is simply great. That song never fails to move me.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    The YWSSL clip wasn't the best quality as to the detail on my device, but Lynda's performance was phenomenal. Hard to believe first time on network TV. What a place to open. What strikes me about this song is it has so much more energy seeing it performed even though it's obviously the recorded track. Nice job.

But the UTLTTR clip is simply great. That song never fails to move me.
    most of the live versions of their hits are too fast and "vegas-y" but with YWSSL i think the changes helped. the lp version was just a bit too slow. it dragged a bit. and Smokey's voice layered in made it a very unusual and non-Supremes sound. duetting with Smokey could have been a wonderful treat but that's not what YWSSL was. the Flip Wilson version is really great. and they look amazingly hot in those mini dresses with fringe. they should have done more looks like that

have a bootleg of the girls on tour with the Tempts at Valley Forge, PA. the Temps introduce the girls and the band starts the intro to YWSSL. it was a good show opener as the intro could be vamped while the girls entered the stage, started clapping along and got the audience up on it's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Interesting that this has all been past down as resembling the former Supremes whether it was Flo, Cindy or Lynda. As a fan or follower I always knew who was in the group on album cover or TV appearance so was Motown trying to fake us out or did we have hope ? When Diana introduced the group it was CINDY BIRDSONG not FLORENCE BALLARD. I don't know how Lynda was introduced but amazing and pretty as she was it was not Cindy. Take a good look at Floy Joy album and tell me if you thought Lynda was Cindy.
    No one is suggesting that Lynda on the cover of FJ looks like Cindy. Did you look at the clips that were posted? Tell me you don't think Lynda favors Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    No one is suggesting that Lynda on the cover of FJ looks like Cindy. Did you look at the clips that were posted? Tell me you don't think Lynda favors Cindy.
    i agree - on FJ there's a little resemblance. but in some of the live photos on stage i can be a little harder to tell. heck there are some of JMC in DRATS downs that i have to look closely to see who is who.

When Cindy replaced Flo, it was done is a way to minimize the change. Mary took on more of the ad libs in the act that Flo did and Cindy mostly smiled. it was pretty well downplayed on purpose

When Lynda joined the act, they were already coming off of multiple personnel changes so i think they should have done more to try and emphasize the positive aspects of the change. when a company hire a new "executive" part of the hope is that they bring new thinking or approaches to the job. something fresh. frankly with lynda they DID have something new and exciting. i love Cindy and her vocals and her she was a perfect harmony singer. Lynda on the other hand had different vocal capabilities so it would have been a great time to re-energize the act with a new singer, a new approach, maybe more 3 lead opportunities, etc.

that might have helped downplay some of the negative aspects of the Supremes enduring ANOTHER change

It's interesting that much to do was made when it became public that Florence left the group, and was replaced by Cindy. Of course, this was big news. But by the time Lynda replaced Cindy, it was done seemingly with little fan fare. I'm sure it was mentioned in a few papers, but to a casual fan, I'll bet they were none the wiser. It's not like they were introducing themselves on TV.

A bit more of a splash was made when Cindy returned with Scherrie.

yeah i think the Lynda one was really under the radar. but then people would see the group and recognize even fewer faces. maybe if they'd done more to show her off from the start with vocal spotlights. but for some reason, they felt new members had to have a "trial" period and they wouldn't really put much focus on the new person.