[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Japan love

Japan love

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/the-l...song-japan?amp

THE KARAOKE-ROCKIN' STORY OF HOW 'THE LAND BEFORE TIME' GAVE DIANA ROSS A DINO-SIZED HIT IN JAPAN
    I believe song was number one for many weeks

Love this one too. Classic Diana Ross ballad. Also reached #11 in the UK!

Beautiful song, though this didn’t particularly reveal very much. I wonder if Diana was always first choice to sing it?.

Beautiful song, superbly sung by Diana.

There's a misconception of just how big this song was in Japan and Wiki doesn't help by just saying it was a #1 there.

At that time Japan produced two charts one for domestic singles and one for singles by overseas artists - it was the International chart in which Diana hit #1 for an inordinate number of weeks and remained on the chart for many months - it may have been well over a year.

But sales on the International chart were relatively low, the record selling just under half-a-million in total.

On the overall chart which combined the two Diana peaked at #4.

When they finally got the licence to release If We Hold On in the UK it was slated for Christmas 1992 - in some ways this was a shrewd move for it regurgitated interest in the Force Behind The Power album bringing it back into the top 20 and with big sales around Christmas pushing the album to the half-million mark.

I did sort of get caught up in the Christmas rush and I think had it been released at a different time of year with Diana available to promote the track it could have been massive.

It was one of the top 100 selling singles in the UK for 1992.