[REMOVE ADS]

03 Stoned Love The Supremes Mary Wilson Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence LIVE

from the Black Expo Chicago 1972

Good God--why did Motown feel the need to speed up all the big hits that people wanted to hear? It's almost like they were trying to just get through them as quickly as possible--crazy. For what? To make room for slowed versions of show-tunes? I came to know the Supremes through the Scherrie years, but if I'd heard this I'd have never been a fan. The worst part is that the speed-through strategy only got worse from 1972 on. If anything they should have slowed down the hits, as Scherrie did with My World is Empty.

Okay, so this is probably officially my favorite live version of "Stoned Love". The ladies were on fire, and the band was great too. This is the lineup I most feel had the best potential to excel and sustain.

Talented group. But the arrangements are very Vegas. No wonder they got cut from the concert film of the Chicago Black Expo.

The song totally loses its integrity. It ends up sounding like something from the Eurovision Song Contest, circa 72. The 70’s lineup were always pushing to hard to please everyone. This being something that would always hold them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The song totally loses its integrity. It ends up sounding like something from the Eurovision Song Contest, circa 72. The 70’s lineup were always pushing to hard to please everyone. This being something that would always hold them back.
    couldn't agree more. the sound and message and lyric of SL are just essential to success of the song. and this terrible conversion from studio to stage is appalling. and not just this version but pretty much all of the live ones. they should have used this as an opportunity to really demonstrate their wonderful singing. by slowing it down, by skipping choreography and the 3 of them focusing on singing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    couldn't agree more. the sound and message and lyric of SL are just essential to success of the song. and this terrible conversion from studio to stage is appalling. and not just this version but pretty much all of the live ones. they should have used this as an opportunity to really demonstrate their wonderful singing. by slowing it down, by skipping choreography and the 3 of them focusing on singing.
    It was a major misstep. They should have continued to perform all the new Supremes hits as near to the the original recording as was possible. Leave the medleys to Diana.
    Performances like this not this not only hurt the integrity of the song, but of the group as well.

The speed does not bother me. It is the shrill vocals that make it less than great.