[REMOVE ADS]

Lightbulb You Heard of March Madness? Well, How 'Bout Motown Madness!

No click bait here, folks. As SDF is a direct result of Motortown's and Detroit's undying relevance in our lives AND the world-at-large...into the 21st century!!! Could BG in all his genius-ness have foresaw this cultural/musical phenomenon back when scraped those few hundreds of dollars together to create a lil' record company?! Hardly. Dare say in his wildest wild dreams!!

Some notable examples:
    Temptations 60 anniversary & album - [[Ain't nobody comin' to see you, Otis!"

Smokey [[William) - helped craft/produce the above, per O's insistence; his take on race, etc., etc.

Ricky J - Chappelle's iconic skit, all those documentaries...still waiting on some love for his ex-boo, Lady Tee [[granted her daughter finished and produced her final album and dropped a few projects herself)

Marvin - 50th anniversary of WGO; the millions of on-again off-again biopic projects, to-date

Miss Ross - still touring and recording; still being The Boss; her uber-talented progeny; The Supremes debate

That's what I got! As the other O said,
    [[Your turnnnn....!!"

...can't forget Stevie [[Steveland Morris) - records, performs, asks why.....[[fill in the blanks[[

Another mark of Motown's Enduring Influence is Berry Gordy receiving an Honorary Doctor of Music Degree from the University of Michigan on 4/30/2022 [with Stevie Wonder to receive an Honorary Doctorate Degree from Detroit's Wayne State University in 5/7/2022].

Motown maddness indeed, a veryy important part of our lives musically and culturally...let's not forget that most motown songs tell a complete story not repeating the same verses over and over...god bless berry gordy and motown forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Motown maddness indeed, a veryy important part of our lives musically and culturally...let's not forget that most motown songs tell a complete story not repeating the same verses over and over...god bless berry gordy and motown forever!!
    Ditto. That's a big 10-4, Good Buddy!!

We left out the record-smashing musicals.

And don't forget all the Books that have been written about Motown and it's Artists. Starting with the memoirs penned by Berry Gordy, Jr., Otis Williams, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir [and others] to the books written about Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Temptations as well as the various books written about Motown itself [like The Motown Encyclopedia]. There's enough there to fill up a library!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    And don't forget all the Books that have been written about Motown and it's Artists. Starting with the memoirs penned by Berry Gordy, Jr., Otis Williams, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Abdul "Duke" Fakir [and others] to the books written about Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, The Temptations as well as the various books written about Motown itself [like The Motown Encyclopedia]. There's enough there to fill up a library!
    Actually Papa Gordy, was the first. It was a pocket book; coffee table style. Believe it is out of print. I checked it out from the library. Very funny read.

THE FLOs recently performed in Ohio with a Temptations Revue.

A joy that they KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING!

I know this does not fit what the OP was talking but what about the numerous times black music in general has been called Motown when it isn't Motown music at all? Ignorance notwithstanding, the fact that it's called Motown when it isn't speaks volumes about how far reaching even the term Motown is.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    THE FLOs recently performed in Ohio with a Temptations Revue.

A joy that they KEEP THE MUSIC PLAYING!
    Caught the Temps Revue at a dinner & show in the late 90s. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I know this does not fit what the OP was talking but what about the numerous times black music in general has been called Motown when it isn't Motown music at all? Ignorance notwithstanding, the fact that it's called Motown when it isn't speaks volumes about how far reaching even the term Motown is.
    No, you're right, Lockh. The current iteration has a stable of hip-hop acts - for the Millineals and Gen. Zs. Clearly, they DO NOT embody the [[Motown Sound.) Even though they & other labels refer to these guys as [[R & B/Soul.) Not! So, correct ta mundo, as Fonzie used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    No, you're right, Lockh. The current iteration has a stable of hip-hop acts - for the Millineals and Gen. Zs. Clearly, they DO NOT embody the [[Motown Sound.) Even though they & other labels refer to these guys as [[R & B/Soul.) Not! So, correct ta mundo, as Fonzie used to say.
    I think what Gary was getting at [if I may be so presumptuous] is the lazy mislabeling of all classic soul/Black music from the ‘60s and ‘70s as Motown — which gets my goat, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I think what Gary was getting at [if I may be so presumptuous] is the lazy mislabeling of all classic soul/Black music from the ‘60s and ‘70s as Motown — which gets my goat, too.

And your presumption would be correct. But as lazy as it is, it still speaks to the impact of Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And your presumption would be correct. But as lazy as it is, it still speaks to the impact of Motown.
    No question about it!

E.T.A.: But grrrrrrr....
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-05-2022 at 12:34 PM.

From someone in the UK, Diana Ross' tour topped by the legend slot at Glastonbury really underlines hers and Motown's enduring popularity here.

And there's, quiet as it's kept, animated Netflix, Jr. series Motown Magic, EP'd by Smokey. Re-imagines the catalog by non-Motown acts. It was out pre-Covid. Anyone know if it's still on? How it did? Trailers/short clips on YouTube.

...anniversary shows. Motown 25 was the bomb, though. MJ's moonwalk. Temps/Tops showdown. Levi Stubbs. Don't git no better than that, I say!

Other acts who owe their careers to Motown royalty: [[ in no particular order )
    Raheem DeVaughn, Eric Roberson, Rashan Patterson, Musiq Soulchild FKA Musiq, Brian McKnight, Robin Thicke, John Legend, etc. - Marvin

Prince, Bruno Mars, Raphael Saadiq, D-Train, Steve Arrington, etc. - MJ

Beyonce, Solange, Kelly Rowland, JLo, Paula Abdul, Missy "Misdemeanor "Elliott, Ciara, Madonna, etc. - Diane/Diana, The Boss; Miss Ross if ya fiesty!Fiesta!!

Get the picture?

...D'Angelo, Teddy, Christopher Williams, Keith Sweat, Tank, etc. - David Ruffin

Then there's that SDF poster's clip of WGO lyrics video last year [[?) Nicely done? A work of art! I think I missed a time stamp or who and when it was created.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Other acts who owe their careers to Motown royalty: [[ in no particular order )
    Raheem DeVaughn, Eric Roberson, Rashan Patterson, Musiq Soulchild FKA Musiq, Brian McKnight, Robin Thicke, John Legend, etc. - Marvin

Prince, Bruno Mars, Raphael Saadiq, D-Train, Steve Arrington, etc. - MJ

Beyonce, Solange, Kelly Rowland, JLo, Paula Abdul, Missy "Misdemeanor "Elliott, Ciara, Madonna, etc. - Diane/Diana, The Boss; Miss Ross if ya fiesty!Fiesta!!

Get the picture?
    Edit: Janet can be right alongside Miss Ross, in king-making too.

This just in: MJ's "Thriller" is 40 years young. Yaaayyy!!

"Money" [["That's What I Want") - Lyfe Jennings cover