[REMOVE ADS]

Bonnie Pointer's 'Like a Picasso' CD Expanded Edition

We had some discussion about this release back in January but the title of the thread may not have encouraged its reading so I'm 'restarting' the discussion for the interested among us.

I've been loving this hard-hitting, beautifully sung and produced released by the late, beloved Bonnie Pointer. A variety of musical styles, mostly rock-influenced and rock-oriented are met with excellent and heartfelt vocals by Bonnie. Maybe I'd characterize it as the album Tina Turner didn't make before retiring. It's an adventurous album and I find holds together well, probably due to consistency on the part of the production team. To those [like me ...) who overlooked the album at the time of its release I do encourage a listen. Good work Bonnie and Taylor Poe, and everyone else involved with the cd. Loving it.

I listened to a few cuts when it was released. Like you PNH, didn't give it much attention initially. After reading your post I went back to YouTube and listened to most of the CD. It holds more merit than the first go round. I might buy it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I listened to a few cuts when it was released. Like you PNH, didn't give it much attention initially. After reading your post I went back to YouTube and listened to most of the CD. It holds more merit than the first go round. I might buy it. Thanks!
    Nice news, Lakeside. I'm surprised at how much I'm loving the album and I have ordered a copy to support all involved AND because there's said to be a good booklet. It won't be for all of us - not too much in the way of soul or r&b sounds - but for those with a taste for Black performers doing more rock oriented material it's a great listen.

Yes, this is indeed a great album. Glad to see that you are enjoying it, Peace. I had purchased it on the iTunes store when it first came out and had put the album onto a CD-R, which I played quite a bit. I had wanted to buy the official CD release that was available through the Pointer Sisters online store at that time, but I seem to remember that they weren't shipping to international fans initially. When I saw the news of this album finally getting a proper release, I pre-ordered the CD and was happy I could finally replace my CD-R version. The artwork and booklet are nice, as it contains quotes from the team that was involved with this album. They provide insight in regards to their working process, as well as Bonnie's, and why they weren't able to give the album the proper push it deserved, when it was released the first time around. I always enjoyed it and had wished it had gotten more attention, as it really did seem to vanish pretty quickly. I know that Bonnie continued to have her personal struggles on and off during that time, so I'm sure that didn't help things either. You wouldn't expect to hear her singing these types of songs, which I would generally classify to be part of the Americana genre...but they surprisingly worked well with her voice! I love all of the tracks, but my top favourite is "Long Ago", followed by "You Will", "Hey Harley" and "The Ghost of I-95".
    Last edited by carlo; 05-02-2022 at 08:15 PM.