[REMOVE ADS]

would these have been hits?

while lots of songs were intended for the Supremes, some certainly seem more of a fit. given when they were originally released on other artists, i wonder if these could have worked for the girls

What becomes of the broken hearted - Jimmy's version was completed in FEb 66 and supposedly Diana was in love with the song. so what if DMF did it and it was released as the follow up to My World? and using Jimmy's backing track, not the one M and D used in July 66

this old heart of mine - the Isley's was completed Dec 65 so nearly the same time as the song above. so it too could have been an early or spring 66 release for the girls

Never can say goodbye - this was done in Dec 70 and released in spring 71 on the J5. Clifton Davis wrote it and he also wrote Here Comes the Sunrise for the Sups. This song in the J5 arrangement would have worked beautifully for JMC and been not only an amazing track to include on Touch, could have been a beautiful single for the girls too. I like the J5 version better than the Promises kept version we got

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    this old heart of mine - the Isley's was completed Dec 65 so nearly the same time as the song above. so it too could have been an early or spring 66 release for the girls
    I choose this one .

added: would the "this ol'" aspect have to be rewritten to better suit them?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-27-2022 at 01:28 PM.

I think This Old Heart of Mine could easily have been a hit for them. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted is okay. I think what I really don't like is the backing track itself. Mary and Diana sound good doing the background vocals but the instrumental itself is lacking the fire that Jimmy's had.

The Isley Brothers version of “This Old Heart” is far superior. It actually sounds like a hit single. The Supremes version is just run of the mill. A nice album track at best.

I've always thought that if not for the Four Tops, the Supremes could have had a hit with "I Can't Help Myself".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've always thought that if not for the Four Tops, the Supremes could have had a hit with "I Can't Help Myself".
    I Can’t Help Myself is a reworking of Where Did Our Love Go.

This old heart is nice ,and I thought it was going to be a single but cancelled

I think The Supremes' versions of "This Old Heart Of Mine" and "I Can't Help Myself" are totally awesome. It’s difficult to say whether they would have been hits for the girls as I'm so used to the Isleys/Tops originals. Assuming the latter never existed, I would say quite possibly!

I think, with arrangements for single release, The Supremes would have had hits/ or bigger hits with:

1. This Old Heart Of Mine
    2. Shake Me, Wake Me
    3. Something About You
    4. 7 Rooms of Gloom
    5. Get Ready
    6. [[Come ‘Round Here) I’m The One You Need
    7. Tracks Of My Tears
    8. Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    9. When You’re Young And In Love
    10. Ohhhh Baby, Baby

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I think, with arrangements for single release, The Supremes would have had hits/ or bigger hits with:

1. This Old Heart Of Mine
    2. Shake Me, Wake Me
    3. Something About You
    4. 7 Rooms of Gloom
    5. Get Ready
    6. [[Come ‘Round Here) I’m The One You Need
    7. Tracks Of My Tears
    8. Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead
    9. When You’re Young And In Love
    10. Ohhhh Baby, Baby
    pretty much agree with your complete list. and i'd add

Destination Anywhere - can't you just hear Diana on this! originally recorded in Oct 67, it was done again in April 68 right when the Sups were doing Some Things

Does Your mama know about me

I think "Does Your Mama Know About Me" would have been the perfect follow on from "Love Child" had it not already been released on Bobby Taylor..its lyric content was in keeping with the girls "new" hip sound and style.

"Get Ready" I think would've been a hit for them. It's one of the few Supremes' Motown covers whose track attempts to keep the fire of the original.