[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Let The Sunshine In - what could have made it better

ok - here's an album we don't discuss much. and with the L&F set, we do have quite a bit of material from the vaults.

IMO this is where the hodge podge effects of grabbing whatever really caused an album to suffer. so many covers!!

and this IMO is a rare instance where Side 2 is stronger than Side 1. Songs like Discover Me, Will this be the Day, I'm So Glad were interesting and contemporary sounding.

I like the album okay. Of all the DRATS albums this and Love Child are the only ones I've listened to all the way through. I don't like Let the Sunshine In/Aquarias. I'd have dropped that and renamed the album [[Diana Ross and The Supremes Today!). I also would have dropped What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted which sounds out of place to me. I do feel Let the Music Play fits it well though despite being recorded with Flo. Maybe replace those two tracks I don't like with Sweet Thing and Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

LTSI is an album supported by singles that never should have been released. However, I enjoyed it when released, mostly because of some new songs. It wasn't as good as the Love Child album but I soon learned it was better than the soon to be released Cream of the Crap.

I disliked COTC so much I did a revised playlist. I then followed that with one for Sunshine. I dislike Aquarius/Sunshine and Everyday People, the other songs are fine enough. I try to keep my playlist close enough to the original release as bearable, otherwise I would scrap this whole album for 12 totally different songs! I also format an album as Side 1 and Side 2, which is how I listened to it back then, sometimes playing one side more than the other.

My current Sunshine playlist:
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    Side 1
    No Matter What Sign You Are
    Discover Me [And You’ll Discover Happiness]
    Ain’t No Sun Since You’ve Been Gone
    Hey Western Union Man
    The Nitty Gritty
    I’m Livin’ In Shame
    Side 2
    The Composer
    Come On And See Me
    What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
    Slow Down
    Will This Be The Day
    I’m So Glad I Got Somebody [Like You Around]

[I put Let The Music Play on my IHAS playlist.]

When I heard the Supremes' version of Aquarius/Let the Sun I started laughing. That song needed big, booming voices to pull it off, as the 5th Dimension did, and the Supremes just didn't have that. This is not meant as an insult because I couldn't hear the 5th Dimension singing Baby Love--it's just not their style. I don't know whose idea it was to tackle that song but they should have been fired.

i did playlists too, playing producer. would use songs that i thought had been completed "in time" and then if i used on my revised Reflections or LC, i of course couldn't then use on Sunshine or Cream

one version is:

Aquarius
    Composer
    Western Union
    Up Up and away
    you ain't living till you're loving
    I'm living in shame

no matter what sign
    honey bee
    love makes me do foolish
    can't shake it loose
    don't break these chains
    hey jude

another playlist option i tried was sort of making this a "supremes sing smokey" Again i had changed previous [[and subsequent) albums so all of these songs were available to me, the producer, to use lol

Composer
    are you sure love
    sweet thing
    he's my sunny boy
    treat me nice john henry
    then

no matter what sign
    will this be the day
    western union
    let the music play
    with a child's heart
    living in shame

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    another playlist option i tried was sort of making this a "supremes sing smokey" Again i had changed previous [[and subsequent) albums so all of these songs were available to me, the producer, to use lol

Composer
    are you sure love
    sweet thing
    he's my sunny boy
    treat me nice john henry
    then

no matter what sign
    will this be the day
    western union
    let the music play
    with a child's heart
    living in shame
    I particularly like this running order / playlist -

I do like the album but would definitely cut Everyday People and the Hair medley and replace with For Once ..., Are You Sure, and maybe Stormy [[which I love but may not fit in. Also a different title and though I love the cover art it looks kinda like a Pickwick label tribute lp of the time; a contempo photo of the group would be better suited.

between Cream and Sunshine, I would have to pick Cream. not that it's a fav but the 3 singles on sunshine are really not ones i'm a fan of. Sign can be fun and enjoyable. but Shame and Composer really do little for me. I also don't love the songs Western Union or Everyday People. i think the girls' cover of these are fine - i just don't really care for the songs.

i think some of the songs on Cream are quite strong. and adding in some of the vaulted tracks, you could see a maturing of their sound. I took some of the tracks i'd not used yet on LC or Sunshine playlists

Someday
    can't you see its me
    you gave me love
    stormy
    the look of love
    till johnny comes
    You're gonna hear from me
    loving you is better than ever
    when it's to the top
    beginning of the end
    I'll set you free

Don't forget that Diana appeared only a month earlier on Dinah Shore's TV special, Like Hep, where she sang Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine. Perhaps that was why that album title was chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Don't forget that Diana appeared only a month earlier on Dinah Shore's TV special, Like Hep, where she sang Aquarius/Let The Sun Shine. Perhaps that was why that album title was chosen.
    Also, the performance on the album was directly lifted from the TV special.

But I believe the album was originally called NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE. Some fans have the original artwork with that title. But when that single under-performed, they changed the title. I suppose they went with LET THE SUNSHINE IN since they already had Dinah Shore's liner notes where she referenced Diana's LIKE HEP performance.

there's a mockup up of the cover for a poster with the NMWSYA title. I'm not sure if Aquarius was still always planned as a track on the lp but once Sign bombed, they redid the album art and title

Another BG brainstorm....F up
    I don't like this album and it would have been better to wait until cream of the crop was released.
    This is bottom of the Barrell.
    Any out takes are far better than this mess

I do think it’s quite odd that the album was named after another group's hit. And one that, after having recorded it, doesn’t suit The Supremes very much at all.

So the group's then-current singles ["The Composer", "No Matter What Sign You Are"] were so poorly performing as to not be worthy of the album's name? If so, Motown could have gone with something unspecific, like A Go Go or More Hits.

Just seems like a bad start to name it after someone else’s song lol

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I do think it’s quite odd that the album was named after another group's hit. And one that, after having recorded it, doesn’t suit The Supremes very much at all.

So the group's then-current singles ["The Composer", "No Matter What Sign You Are"] were so poorly performing as to not be worthy of the album's name? If so, Motown could have gone with something unspecific, like A Go Go or More Hits.

Just seems like a bad start to name it after someone else’s song lol
    you took the words out of my mouth
    funny that years later when the 5th D recorded Love Hangover, somebody threw a fit and accused them of stealing her song.just to funny.
    maybe Diana forgot she sang their song and Babs Dont Rain On My Parade. i do recall Babs saying ,Get your Own Sxxx. lol

Ditch the title track [[one of the worse things recorded and issued under Diana Ross and The Supremes--Diana sounds vocally exhausted and whoever is on background sounds creepy). Rename the album something like "Discover" And I put Stormy in place of Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    funny that years later when the 5th D recorded Love Hangover, somebody threw a fit and accused them of stealing her song.just to funny.
    maybe Diana forgot she sang their song and Babs Dont Rain On My Parade. i do recall Babs saying ,Get your Own Sxxx. lol
    I would agree that naming the Supremes album after another act's recent hit was odd. But back then, everyone recorded cover versions of current hits as album tracks. It's not quite the same as an act re-recording an original album track that most likely was going to be released as a single, like what happened with LOVE HANGOVER.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    who threw a fit? I don’t recall Diana mentioning it at all let alone throwing a fit. The same thing happened with come see about me, both were brand new album tracks scheduled for single release when a competitor Rush released a Coffee not only the song but the arrangement.

I don’t think your comparatives work. Aquarius had been number one for six weeks and was beginning to drop before the Supremes version was released, it was simply a cover like many many many many many many many many many other covers. Ditto don’t rain on my parade: Ross recorded it 4 years after Babs’ smash recording of it. It was simply a cover. I don’t get it.

what is your source for Diana throwing a fit and accusing them of stealing her song?

Here's what I'd have put together based on what was already released at the time.

Side A:
    1. For Once In My Life
    2. No Matter What Sign You Are
    3. Am I Asking Too Much
    4. Stormy
    5. If You Should Walk Away
    6. I'm Livin' In Shame
    Side B:
    7. Everyday People
    8. The Nitty Gritty
    9. Witchi Tai To
    10. Will This Be The Day
    11. The Beginning of the End
    12. You're Gonna Hear From Me

between Cream and Sunshine, I would have to pick Cream. not that it's a fav but the 3 singles on sunshine are really not ones i'm a fan of. Sign can be fun and enjoyable. but Shame and Composer really do little for me. I also don't love the songs Western Union or Everyday People. i think the girls' cover of these are fine - i just don't really care for the songs.

i think some of the songs on Cream are quite strong. and adding in some of the vaulted tracks, you could see a maturing of their sound. I took some of the tracks i'd not used yet on LC or Sunshine playlists

Someday
    can't you see its me
    you gave me love
    stormy
    the look of love
    till johnny comes
    You're gonna hear from me
    loving you is better than ever
    when it's to the top
    beginning of the end
    I'll set you free
    All of the songs listed above are excellent recordings imo. I certainly think “You Gave Me Love”, “Loving You Is Better Then Ever” and “Can’t You See Its Me” would have all made excellent singles, being far more memorable then “The Composer”.

let's also not forget that the 5th D was doing a cover of Aquarius too! it's originally from Hair and so the broadway cast album was the ORIGINAL version. 5D was a cover

and while i can see some might think it was a hot idea to have a DRATS album using this massively popular title, i like Discover!

Discover! Diana Ross & the Supremes

and then image what type of cool and interesting album cover art they could have done!

Motownmaniac--Diana DID throw a fit over Love Hangover, according to LaMonte Mclemore of the 5th dimension. He said that somebody in DR's entourage called him while she was on tour and said that DR heard the 5th's version on the radio and at first she thought it was her own version. When she realized it was the 5th's song, she threw a fit and told Berry to pull It Took Some Time To Learn About Loving and release her take on the song. After DR won that battle, LaMonte and Florence LaRue went to see DR in concert, and when DR realized they were there, she directed the spotlight onto them, and said "that's the enemy!" She also complained in an interview that THE 5TH Dimension should get their own song, despite the fact that she recorded Aquarius and the Supremes did Stoned Soul Picnic and God only knows what else.

it was common practice for people to record a zillion covers and include on an album. i think the issue starts when you release a single or it becomes a centerpiece in your act.

yes the Sups recorded lots of covers but they typically were only album filler. Im Gonna Make You Love Me is a clear exception and apparently Madeline Bell was NOT pleases as her version was only released a few months prior.

I think it was less of an issue with Someday since 1) it had been released years prior 2) had no significant public knowledge or impact and 3) the writer was now the one doing the new version.

Same with Composer - it was a motown song so not as big of a deal. Although it was a deal for Grapevine and GKATP. I wonder if Marvin had any major concerns about Diana's cover of Mountain. it does almost seem like the two Mountains are just entirely different songs and only share a title. maybe if Tammi had lived, it might have been an issue as they would have possibly toured, it was her first big hit, etc.

however

it was not common practice to rush out a release of someone else's song to get a jump with it before that artist had had a chance to work the song themselves.

yes LOVE HANGOVER was specifically a quickly made 45 knock off and never appears on a 5ths album

it was common practice for people to record a zillion covers and include on an album. i think the issue starts when you release a single or it becomes a centerpiece in your act.

yes the Sups recorded lots of covers but they typically were only album filler. Im Gonna Make You Love Me is a clear exception and apparently Madeline Bell was NOT pleases as her version was only released a few months prior.

I think it was less of an issue with Someday since 1) it had been released years prior 2) had no significant public knowledge or impact and 3) the writer was now the one doing the new version.

Same with Composer - it was a motown song so not as big of a deal. Although it was a deal for Grapevine and GKATP. I wonder if Marvin had any major concerns about Diana's cover of Mountain. it does almost seem like the two Mountains are just entirely different songs and only share a title. maybe if Tammi had lived, it might have been an issue as they would have possibly toured, it was her first big hit, etc.
    So who actually did the original version of I'm Gonna Make You Love Me? I always thought that it was Dee Dee Warwick and it was released as a 45.

yeah i think it was done multiple times. Dee Dee was first and then Madeline and then the duet

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    So who actually did the original version of I'm Gonna Make You Love Me? I always thought that it was Dee Dee Warwick and it was released as a 45.
    Dee Dee's version came out in 1966 and was a Top 20 R&B hit. Madeline's version came out in 1968 and hit the R&B top 40.

I think producer Frank Wilson said it was Suzanne dePasse's idea for the Supremes and Tempts to record a version.
    Last edited by reese; 04-28-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Dee Dee's version came out in 1966 and was a Top 20 R&B hit. Madeline's version came out in 1968 and hit the R&B top 40.

I think producer Frank Wilson said it was Suzanne dePasse's idea for the Supremes and Tempts to record a version.
    Thanks for that. I once read that Dee Dee went to her record label and complained that her version should have sounded more like the Temps/Supremes version.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Motownmaniac--Diana DID throw a fit over Love Hangover, according to LaMonte Mclemore of the 5th dimension. He said that somebody in DR's entourage called him while she was on tour and said that DR heard the 5th's version on the radio and at first she thought it was her own version. When she realized it was the 5th's song, she threw a fit and told Berry to pull It Took Some Time To Learn About Loving and release her take on the song. After DR won that battle, LaMonte and Florence LaRue went to see DR in concert, and when DR realized they were there, she directed the spotlight onto them, and said "that's the enemy!" She also complained in an interview that THE 5TH Dimension should get their own song, despite the fact that she recorded Aquarius and the Supremes did Stoned Soul Picnic and God only knows what else.
    that story is not true. I can say this as an actual fact it is not true. But it makes a nice story. First of all, diana was on tour in Europe from the album came out and at the time the fifth dimension 45 came out. However, let’s say she’s singing Mahogany on the Academy Awards and hears the song on the radio Brussels. And let’s say for arguments sake that that was the first time anywhere in the world that that fifth dimension song had been played even though it’s highly unlikely it was released in Europe before the United States. And let’s say she called up Motown, whose sales department was not interested enough to be checking the adds across the country for I thought it took a little time and her two charting albums and were completely unaware. And let’s say Miss Ross called them up and said I am throwing a fit because the fifth dimension have recorded love hangover and they’re playing it on KSUP 7.3 In Antwerp and I want that record quashed immediately. And let’s say that whoever she spoke to spoke to Barry and said, “let’s throw I thought it took a little time into the toilet and Rush released Diane’s version of love hangover” and he said, “good idea! “ and let’s say that the single edit was already done and all they had to do was order pressings and those pressings got delivered across the country however fastest they could be delivered, even by hand if necessary. They still could not have charted at the same time. It’s impossible. It could not happen. It did not happen. I believe it’s possible she threw a fit, she might’ve thrown one every day that year, but that is not the reason her single was Rush released.

The version I’ve heard most often, is that Marc Gordon Who had been working with Hal Davis for over a decade, heard love hangover and he was surprised to learn it was not the follow up to Mahogany, decided to cut the track on the fifth dimension, and told buddy Hal Davis he released it because he didn’t think Motown was going to issue it as a single. Maybe Davis is the one that notified Motown sales department, but my guess is that they were already on it.

people love to tell stories, especially about her because it gets attention. Read Gladys Knight‘s account of been kicked off the Supremes tour in 1967 in her book, and her subsequent versions on television and radio and podcast interviews and you will see what I mean. She did play Caesars and the Palace in New York in late spring that year and she very likely could have seen them in their audience and very likely have said what they said she said, but I do not believe that she said it in any kind of nasty way at all in front of her audience. Especially by then, because her version was already a smash and the fifth dimensions version was already toast.

Sometimes people relish exaggerating her stories because it’s fun, even if it defies logic and physics.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 04-28-2022 at 03:42 PM.

again, I have never heard of anyone anywhere at any time complaining because their record was covered, there are millions of recorded covers without people complaining, including diana ross covers. The issue here is that it got covered before she had a chance to release it herself, just like come see about me. I hear she put a hit out on Nella Dodds for that one. Do you think gabs would have embraced Miss Ross if she put out guilty wild women in love still on the charts? It’s bad form to take new music off of a new album, copy the arrangement and rush it out before the original artist has a chance to work it themselves. It is very very very rarely done.

I think it would've been a better idea had they kept Aquarius/ LTSI, but used the other tracks listed for the COTC album [[minus Someday) in substitution for the other tracks on the LTSI album. I feel that the tracks on COTC really matched with the aesthetic of Diana's cover of Aquarius.

Hated the cover art but honestly forgot how many out takes from this era.
    Just thinking this would be a low key expanded edition but then again...
    Perhaps a Sunshine ,Cream combo

... if Diana had truly performed as many 'fits' as the haters have perpetuated rumors of for the last 60 years she would have had no time to actually record, film and perform [not to mention publicize) and certainly no one would have worked with her. The stories are in the majority perpetuated Big Lies by the 300-pound-sitting-on-the-bed toads. Mebee they should take a look at, say, Lea Michelle, who actually tanked her career before it started, if they want some hot-take-trash-talk. Like it or not, Diana [[like Sammy Davis JR, in a way) maintained a career through work and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The version I’ve heard most often, is that Marc Gordon Who had been working with Hal Davis for over a decade, heard love hangover and he was surprised to learn it was not the follow up to Mahogany, decided to cut the track on the fifth dimension, and told buddy Hal Davis he released it because he didn’t think Motown was going to issue it as a single. Maybe Davis is the one that notified Motown sales department, but my guess is that they were already on it.
    The LOVE HANGOVER escapade I find as being perhaps Motown's most intriguing story and I've combed through it several times. Yes Hal Davis and Marc Gordon were friends and collaborators from way back beginning in the sixties. It doesn't add up then that Marc would tap into one of his good friend's projects [steal it if you will] and wait to reveal his actions to his friend only after having achieved the bother.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-29-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    again, I have never heard of anyone anywhere at any time complaining because their record was covered, there are millions of recorded covers without people complaining, including diana ross covers. The issue here is that it got covered before she had a chance to release it herself, just like come see about me. I hear she put a hit out on Nella Dodds for that one. Do you think gabs would have embraced Miss Ross if she put out guilty wild women in love still on the charts? It’s bad form to take new music off of a new album, copy the arrangement and rush it out before the original artist has a chance to work it themselves. It is very very very rarely done.
    Though not a single release, i did hear rumour that Bab’s was rather unamused around the edges when “Diana Ross & The Supremes Perform Funny Girl” was rush released before her film soundtrack.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-29-2022 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... if Diana had truly performed as many 'fits' as the haters have perpetuated rumors of for the last 60 years she would have had no time to actually record, film and perform [not to mention publicize) and certainly no one would have worked with her. The stories are in the majority perpetuated Big Lies by the 300-pound-sitting-on-the-bed toads. Mebee they should take a look at, say, Lea Michelle, who actually tanked her career before it started, if they want some hot-take-trash-talk. Like it or not, Diana [[like Sammy Davis JR, in a way) maintained a career through work and talent.
    All good and well, but then you tend to label anyone who doesn’t like a particular Diana Ross song a toad. Hardly a balanced viewpoint methinks.
    Let me guess, their all jealous of her talent and beauty.....I know i am.

MotownManiac-- The information about DR "throwing a fit" came from DR's musical director, who then called Lamonte about it, if I am remembering that correctly. Why do you find this so hard to believe? I don't. I have read many interviews with DR where she complained that Mary Wilson was singing "her songs" as if Mary had nothing to do with them. DR obviously felt those old songs were part of her legacy and was protective of that--I don't see a big problem with that. Aretha Franklin was the same way, even threatening Martha Reeves when she found out Martha was doing a medley of Aretha songs back in the 70's. Anyway, I love when DR throws fits, I find it hilarious, especially when she attacks a paparazzi with her shoe!! It's part of her "artistic temperament" as Berry said.

MotownManiac-- I love when DR throws fits, I find it hilarious, especially when she attacks a paparazzi with her shoe!! It's part of her "artistic temperament" as Berry said.
    I’m guessing the french photographer who reportedly had blood running down the side of his face after being assaulted with her high heel shoe failed to see the funny side. Some people have no sense of humour.

Hee hee! Yeah I guess I'd be less forgiving if I'd gotten a stiletto upside my wide, wide head!

let's also not forget that the 5th D was doing a cover of Aquarius too! it's originally from Hair and so the broadway cast album was the ORIGINAL version. 5D was a cover

and while i can see some might think it was a hot idea to have a DRATS album using this massively popular title, i like Discover!

Discover! Diana Ross & the Supremes

and then image what type of cool and interesting album cover art they could have done!
    I would agree with you on the song "Discover Me", I use to love that song and was suprised that they never lifted it from the album. The artwork I was not in love with.

The 5th Dimension recorded Aquarius after seeing the show live in late 1968--they never heard it recorded. They were told by their producer that it wasn't a good idea since several people had recorded it already and none of those versions charted. It was Bones Howe's idea to combine Aquarius with Sunshine In. Nobody had done that before, so calling the 5th's version a cover is a stretch, at least to my mind. Eventually, over time, the Hair musical started doing the two songs as a medley, just like the 5th did. By 1969, the 5th had the hit that brought this medley to the public at large and the rest is history. Did you guys know that the group [[5th) brought a tape of some of their early demos to Berry Gordy, before they were known? Berry turned them down, but later after Up Up and Away hit big, Berry saw LaMonte at Motown. Berry asked him if "that balloon song" was on the demo tape LaMonte brought him a year earlier. Berry was obviously a little nervous that maybe he passed on a huge, career making hit. LaMonte said Up Up and Away was not on the tape, and it wasn't.
    Last edited by BobbyC; 04-29-2022 at 01:30 PM.

It is amusing that after spending decades promoting herself as this "Family is everything", "I Love everyone" peace and new age spirituality guru through her upliting positive message songs, Secrets of a Sparrow, her rare interviews, her Twitter feed, and the Thank You project, Diana Ross still can't shake off the reputation as an intimidating, mean, angry, egotistical demanding Diva prone to verbally abusive and emotional outbursts and physically violent temper tantrums when anything doesn't go her own way.

The 5th Dimension recorded Aquarius after seeing the show live in late 1968--they never heard it recorded. They were told by their producer that it wasn't a good idea since several people had recorded it already and none of those versions charted. It was Bones Howe's idea to combine Aquarius with Sunshine In. Nobody had done that before, so calling the 5th's version a cover is a stretch, at least to my mind. Eventually, over time, the Hair musical started doing the two songs as a medley, just like the 5th did. By 1969, the 5th had the hit that brought this medley to the public at large and the rest is history. Did you guys know that the group [[5th) brought a tape of some of their early demos to Berry Gordy, before they were known? Berry turned them down, but later after Up Up and Away hit big, Berry saw LaMonte at Motown. Berry asked him if "that balloon song" was on the demo tape LaMonte brought him a year earlier. Berry was obviously a little nervous that maybe he passed on a huge, career making hit. LaMonte said Up Up and Away was not on the tape, and it wasn't.
    I agree with Bobby C. Although it is not the original version of the song as it was first heard, it isn't exactly a strictly cover version either. I don't remember from at the time, but if it truly was the first version to be a hit, then the 5ths definitely have a valid claim that it's "their song." As the lines between genres such as broadway/pop radio/records weren't completely blurred like they are now, it could really be true that there could be songs popular on Broadway that the public hadn't really heard yet, though obviously that was the intention always. It'd be interesting if we could learn if most people might identify "Aquarius" as a "5th Dimension song" as opposed to "that song from 'Hair'" but I'm just speculating obviously.

Now, apologies in advance for hijacking yet another thread from its main subject, but I'm just curious, did anyone ever hear the two 5D Motown albums? I had them at one time but I'm not sure I ever played them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Though not a single release, i did hear rumour that Bab’s was rather unamused around the edges when “Diana Ross & The Supremes Perform Funny Girl” was rush released before her film soundtrack.

i heard that as well, I think that turned to laughter when she heard it.🤮

Kenneth--I had both Star Dancing, which was for the most part excellent, and High On Sunshine, which was just dreadful. When I heard You're My Star I realized it was the worst song the group ever did, and that that would be the end of the group in terms of recording, and it was. I mean look that song up on Youtube and tell me I'm wrong. You could tell they were anything but a priority at Motown. It was sad. The group later recorded an album called Fantasy, yes the same song EWF did in the 70's, and it was a much better LP. Unfortunately the 5th's management at the time had some sort of argument with the label, and it was not released for many years--just online. A few years later they did a CD called In The House and it was just horrible--worse than High on Sunshine. It didn't even chart.

MotownManiac-- The information about DR "throwing a fit" came from DR's musical director, who then called Lamonte about it, if I am remembering that correctly. Why do you find this so hard to believe? I don't. I have read many interviews with DR where she complained that Mary Wilson was singing "her songs" as if Mary had nothing to do with them. DR obviously felt those old songs were part of her legacy and was protective of that--I don't see a big problem with that. Aretha Franklin was the same way, even threatening Martha Reeves when she found out Martha was doing a medley of Aretha songs back in the 70's. Anyway, I love when DR throws fits, I find it hilarious, especially when she attacks a paparazzi with her shoe!! It's part of her "artistic temperament" as Berry said.
    I think you must be missing my point on purpose. I don’t find it odd or unbelievable that she threw a fit as I said above she probably throws fits every day… That’s not the point. It is just not physically humanly possible for her to have heard this on the radio in Europe, throw a fit long distance, demand her version be put out immediately and have them chart the same day. I’m sure she was plenty pissed because it was a killer record that they had nothing to do with creating, and it’s practically unheard of being done in the industry. How do you think Marvin Gaye would feel if Lou Rawls released Mercy Mercy me while the what’s going on single was still on the chart? Anyway it just isn’t done there are thousands of examples of it not happening. I didn’t notice Miss Ross throwing a fit when Aretha covered it’s my turn, Phil Collins or Kim Wilde seem to have escaped her wrath. It’s just the unprofessionalism. And the fact that some thing was written somewhere doesn’t mean it’s true anyway. Look at all the lies that mary wilson told over the years in Books and in interviews - it doesn’t make them true because they are in a book. I read that Aretha claiming that upside down and I’m coming out were written for her, it appears that might be untrue of course we don’t know for sure. We do know that diana ross wasn’t offered $20 million for RTL because it wasn’t possible, but it made a good headline and it gave her a story and so she kept telling it but it never became truth except in the minds of people that didn’t pass 4th grade arithmetic. Some people believe what they want to believe because they like their version of reality better. There are adults that know The Easter bunny isn’t real, but that doesn’t stop them from “believing” because it’s fun.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 04-29-2022 at 03:10 PM.

how long was Diana in Europe ....the dates??

I didn't realize that the Fifths version got released beyond the US and the UK , but I see confirmed pressings in Italy, Trinidad and Germany. Boy ABC really went after it. I wonder why that label thought this a good idea.

The B side is called WILL YOU BE THERE... also not on any album . Would like to hear it , but can't locate it on YouTube.

Hee hee! Yeah I guess I'd be less forgiving if I'd gotten a stiletto upside my wide, wide head!
    she told them not to take any more pics and meant it. Better a stiletto than Lady Di’s fate.

my fave fit Will always be when she bit that fan on national television in France

https://youtu.be/uudjkmaari0

it might be that that quick temper helped create the still celebrated icon

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    It is amusing that after spending decades promoting herself as this "Family is everything", "I Love everyone" peace and new age spirituality guru through her upliting positive message songs, Secrets of a Sparrow, her rare interviews, her Twitter feed, and the Thank You project, Diana Ross still can't shake off the reputation as an intimidating, mean, angry, egotistical demanding Diva prone to verbally abusive and emotional outbursts and physically violent temper tantrums when anything doesn't go her own way.
    There is a certain irony to it lol. Just as well we love her no matter what.

MoManiac--I was not misrepresenting what you said, I was just telling you what LaMonte said in his book. That's all. I don't know why he'd just make it up, especially since he had nothing to gain. On the other hand, I went through all the trades [[Billboard, Cashbox, etc) of that time and the truth nobody seems to remember is that DR's version of Love Hangover was getting enormous amounts of club play before either she or the 5th released it was a single. It was #1 on many club lists, or at least top 5 on most. So there was a huge buzz around the song before anybody thought to release it to pop radio. LaMonte, in his book, said he'd heard the song and knew it was the right dance song that his group wanted at that precarious time in their careers. He didn't mention that it was already huge in the clubs.