[REMOVE ADS]

Memories of an outstanding Motown icon.

Esther Gordy Edwards was born on April 25. If she were with us today she would turn 102.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers today. Had it not been for her, the impetus for the Motown Museum would not exist. As everyone knows she saved the facility to enable it to become a monument to her legacy.

She was truly a wonderful outstanding person.

Having been to the museum once I can applaud her vision. Hope to go back again someday since my visit was before the restoration and expansion.

She was awesome in so many ways. A very warm person that was all business. Russ and
    I called her Auntie Esther.

I remember the first time that I went to the Motown Museum, it just so happened we were there when Mrs. Esther Edwards had passed away [[I seem to remember she passed the evening prior to our morning visit). Being there that morning and seeing her portrait, as well as hearing the staff communicate their love for her and all that she did, made it an emotional and special visit.

I would agree with daviddesper and Ralph: a wonderful, wonderful person. Growing up on Monica Street in Detroit, my next door neighbor Ms. Donaldson's daughter married Esther Edward's son.
    I was an avid record collector; while coming home from work one day, I was shocked to see Ms. Edwards sitting on the porch talking to Ms. Donaldson and my Mom. I didn't say anything as I went in, so Ms. Donaldson told me to get back out there and say hello. I said hello, Ms. Edwards, and my Mom said "you know her?" and I said yes, that's Berry Gordy's sister and Vice President of Motown. My mom had no idea, she then told Ms. Edwards that Berry had lived down the street on the next block and all the comings and goings at that house [[on Outer Drive). Soon afterwards, Ms. Edwards and I would talk whenever she would visit Ms. Donaldson. I asked Fawn Edwards, her daughter-in-law to see if she could find me a copy of You Beat Me to the Punch, and she said she'll ask Esther. A couple of weeks later I had my Mary Wells 45, along with some Motown albums. Ms. Edwards was really down to earth, and so kind.

Great memories stingbeelee, thank you for sharing them with us.
    Darin

Mrs. Edwards was such a wonderful person. The first time I met her was about 1989 when my brother & I went to Detroit to visit Martha Reeves & Martha took us to the Museum. It seems like it had not been open very long. My brother had made a collage of photos & Mrs. Edwards had it hanging in the lobby.Berry Gordy was sure lucky to have his sisters & brothers with all they brought to Motown.

I toured Motown Museum when it first opened. This nice gentleman gave us a tour. We were the only ones on it. He then took us in to meet Esther. She was so nice. She gave me some pics of the Motown stars and some other memorabilia. She said to us.... you're very lucky to have 'Bean Bowles' as your tour guide today! I about fell over. I knew the name but not what he looked like. He was doing a show of some kind at the Fox Theater then. He was the nicest guy. I asked a ton of questions and he answered them all and added some stories of his own. A memorable tour, indeed.

Great to read Sting and Motony and Lakeside

You're welcome Darin and Jobeterob! When I toured the Motown Museum, Robin Terry told me not to open my mouth about the history of Motown...so I toured and nodded silently!!