[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227

    graphing out the chart action of the Sups vs MRATV vs Marvelettes

    i've shared lots of info from my Supremes Excel Sheet - their itinerary, their chart action, etc.

    well this is just fascinating!! a guy took all of the pop charting singles from the Supremes vs MRATV vs the Marvelettes. it goes week by week and you see each release, how it climbed the charts, how it compares with the other groups and when it dropped off

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hOLdCePhf0

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,459
    Rep Power
    212
    Quite a lot to follow, but certainly interesting. Thanks for sharing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227
    i didn't realize I'll Keep Holding On was released as early as it was. i have to say that was a pretty innovative song and is due more respect that it typically gets

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,459
    Rep Power
    212
    Another thing that this chart emphasizes is how much of a fixture the Marvelettes were at Motown before the other two even got started. For those of us who didn't really discover Motown until the mid 60s, all three groups were firmly established, so the assumption was that they were all on equal footing in terms of longevity.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've shared lots of info from my Supremes Excel Sheet - their itinerary, their chart action, etc.

    well this is just fascinating!! a guy took all of the pop charting singles from the Supremes vs MRATV vs the Marvelettes. it goes week by week and you see each release, how it climbed the charts, how it compares with the other groups and when it dropped off

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hOLdCePhf0

    Marry me! I love chart facts itís a great way to tell a story without spin. Your graph is brilliant and well appreciated!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227
    oh i can't claim responsibility for this amazing graph and video. i didn't even help with the collecting of the data, unless this youtuber is a fan on here and happened across my sharing of the chart positions

    now Maniac - were you one that was trying to discredit my comments about the market being flooded and all? i think this chart gives a perfect example of how River Deep negatively impacted SL. now in the end, SL still charted very very well and sold a gazillion copies. but had River not been climbing at the same time, there might have been enough momentum to push SL to #1. i don't know exactly how billboard calculates the chart positions - what the algorithm is of sales and air play. but you see how SL is moving up the charts and then in comes River.

    on FB there's a chat going about Every Body's Got the Right. a couple fans and i were in agreement that Everybody just was a lackluster follow up to Ladder. someone said Loving Country and Together were far better singles. i agree - Loving should have followed Ladder. But then do you hold on SL and release Together? i don't think Together could have do much as a follow up to SL. Together is great but SL is a masterpiece. So maybe after SL was done, you then release River Deep. the duet might be fresh enough of an idea that it avoids the pitfall of being a follow up to such a great song

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,553
    Rep Power
    180
    Interesting stuff!! Excellently done as well. I would have no idea how to even start something like that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    700
    Rep Power
    152
    thank you for sharing this. What occurred to me was, that is this chart was available at the time, the Marvellettes and Martha would of been pretty depressed...the fall off is pretty obvious and it's interesting that the Supremes follow the same fate. Almost a law of nature I guess.
    Also when you don't have any control over your music or what is released, when you stop selling the organization loses interest.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    181
    Excellent, I really enjoyed seeing the patterns emerging.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    783
    Rep Power
    52
    That's an excellent clip. I would love to see this graph with all the Motown singles that charted on the pop charts and one for the Soul/RnB charts.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    6,553
    Rep Power
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    That's an excellent clip. I would love to see this graph with all the Motown singles that charted on the pop charts and one for the Soul/RnB charts.
    Now that sounds like a challenge!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18,081
    Rep Power
    345
    I really enjoyed that video. Thank you

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    oh i can't claim responsibility for this amazing graph and video. i didn't even help with the collecting of the data, unless this youtuber is a fan on here and happened across my sharing of the chart positions

    now Maniac - were you one that was trying to discredit my comments about the market being flooded and all? i think this chart gives a perfect example of how River Deep negatively impacted SL. now in the end, SL still charted very very well and sold a gazillion copies. but had River not been climbing at the same time, there might have been enough momentum to push SL to #1. i don't know exactly how billboard calculates the chart positions - what the algorithm is of sales and air play. but you see how SL is moving up the charts and then in comes River.

    on FB there's a chat going about Every Body's Got the Right. a couple fans and i were in agreement that Everybody just was a lackluster follow up to Ladder. someone said Loving Country and Together were far better singles. i agree - Loving should have followed Ladder. But then do you hold on SL and release Together? i don't think Together could have do much as a follow up to SL. Together is great but SL is a masterpiece. So maybe after SL was done, you then release River Deep. the duet might be fresh enough of an idea that it avoids the pitfall of being a follow up to such a great song
    well I wouldnít exactly call it been discredited, however Iím going to make you love me and love child climbed at the same time and both went platinum. I will agree that thereís probably some stations that didnít add River deep because they were already playing Stoned love, but I donít think stoned love lost any adds because of River deep asSL was already well launched. SL is a great record, but it doesnít surprise me it failed to hit number one. I wish it had, but I just donít think it was that good to be considered a sure fire number one. It didnít ignite a slew of album sales on either chart. The single was #1 R&B, but the album only went to 12. I know itís sacrilege to suggest this, but it might be that, like up the ladder to the roof, it appeals very strongly to a certain market and not as broadly as we think.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Rep Power
    163
    Also just noticed, that stoned love shot straight up the chart for several weeks and then for three weeks after that slowed way way down and then when River deep was released stoned love began to climb again and made it number seven.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227
    SL entered the charts on 11/7 at 61 and then over the next few weeks climbed but then stalled around 20 for 3 weeks. The girls appeared on the Tom Jones show in Nov and then Flip Wilson in Jan. these two appearances could be why the song got that second burst of chart activity. Plus in Dec they did the Smokey special and Mike Douglas, so they had a considerable about of tv air time. And if the single was on the radio, like it must have been to general the 1 Million+ sales, these tv spots would have helped push it along

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227
    here's more of the data

    SL was released on 10/15 and entered the charts on 11/7 at 61. for 3 weeks it was climbing nicely [[61, 48, 22) and then stalled after week 11/21 and sat around #20 the weeks of 11/21, 28 and 12/4

    River was released on 11/5 and entered the charts on 11/28 at number 51. it went from 51 to 45 and then 35 and then 30.

    so the week SL started to stall [[11/28) is the week River first charted.

    SL had been making nice leaps each week and had momentum until River was released. so unless a top source like George or a historian comes out with a more clear answer, i think this is pretty strong evidence that River stole some of the sales and movement of SL

    frankly i'm sure the same happened in 68. Love Child was a HUGE hit but only sat at #1 for 2 weeks. had IGMYLM not been released, it's very possible LC would have sat on top for another week or two.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,739
    Rep Power
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    here's more of the data

    SL was released on 10/15 and entered the charts on 11/7 at 61. for 3 weeks it was climbing nicely [[61, 48, 22) and then stalled after week 11/21 and sat around #20 the weeks of 11/21, 28 and 12/4

    River was released on 11/5 and entered the charts on 11/28 at number 51. it went from 51 to 45 and then 35 and then 30.

    so the week SL started to stall [[11/28) is the week River first charted.

    SL had been making nice leaps each week and had momentum until River was released. so unless a top source like George or a historian comes out with a more clear answer, i think this is pretty strong evidence that River stole some of the sales and movement of SL

    frankly i'm sure the same happened in 68. Love Child was a HUGE hit but only sat at #1 for 2 weeks. had IGMYLM not been released, it's very possible LC would have sat on top for another week or two.

    Ralph, chart fax do not lie and Iím always the last to admit when Iím wrong. It certainly does look like that and I never thought about love child because Grapevine was soaring up the charts so quickly and I know there were some stations that were not playing with the child because of the controversial nature but it looks like maybe thatís possible maybe it wouldíve lasted another week or two. Iíve always thought that baby love was hurt by the release of come see about me and the album, but baby love wasnít just a smash hit record it was a phenomenon. Somebody from HDH said some thing similar that they couldíve got five or six weeks at number one out of baby love ifÖÖ..

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,031
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Ralph, chart fax do not lie and I’m always the last to admit when I’m wrong. It certainly does look like that and I never thought about love child because Grapevine was soaring up the charts so quickly and I know there were some stations that were not playing with the child because of the controversial nature but it looks like maybe that’s possible maybe it would’ve lasted another week or two. I’ve always thought that baby love was hurt by the release of come see about me and the album, but baby love wasn’t just a smash hit record it was a phenomenon. Somebody from HDH said some thing similar that they could’ve got five or six weeks at number one out of baby love if……..
    I always thought it was amazing that Baby Love and Come See About Me were released just a month from each other and they both went to #1.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,456
    Rep Power
    227
    and it could be that if 1 song sits at the top for too long, the public bores of the the song AND the group. the rapid fire of singles and albums from the Sups between June 64 and June 65 is stunning

    WDOLG was a great song and could certainly have been a 1 hit wonder amidst the wave of British invasion

    BL - sealed the deal and with the WDOLG album the girls now were all the rage

    Come - wow ANOTHER great song.

    Stop - so supremes and yet so different. the girls are now a phenom

    Specialty albums - the kids raced to buy Liverpool, plus the others. people are thinking - wow what'll they do next?!?!?

    Back in Arms - the epitome of The Motown Sound and just great. plus the more hits album


    I think this machine gunning of content helped because it took advantage of this relatively short period [[all in 1 year) and turned the group into a sensation. What'll they do next!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.