[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dusty

Dusty

Just listening for the umpteenth time to the wonderful Ace CD, Dusty Sings soul and it struck me that some of her tracks would be just right to have re-orchstrated as they have done with som many artists. True there are some that shoud never be touched but theor are ocaasions where she [[in my opinion) is held back as she is accompanied by some middle of the road instrumentation.

I have not yet heard the Dusty Sings Soul compilation but I'll put it to the top of this weekend's listening.

I had a friend who was a huge Dusty S. fan. Her would write her and eventually met her and became friends with her. [[Much like many Mary Wilson fans.). He told me a few stories of her life during her last fifteen years of life that were quite sad.

For what it’s worth, another friend was a huge Debby Reynolds fan. He also wrote letters and became good friends with her. He would stay in her house when he visited her in LA. Who knew these things were possible?

Dusty’s live duet of A House Is Not A Home with Burt B. is mind blowing! I wish someone would link it here. I don’t know how.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 04-23-2022 at 09:58 AM.

I still need to get this CD, but I did pick up the 2 LP 50th anniversary edition of her "See All Her Faces" album that came out today for Record Store Day.

I found a live version, doesn’t seem to be a studio version available of a duet.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I found a live version, doesn’t seem to be a studio version available of a duet.

Thanks Kenneth !

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I still need to get this CD, but I did pick up the 2 LP 50th anniversary edition of her "See All Her Faces" album that came out today for Record Store Day.
    BRAVO for my friend Carlo! I wanted ... but am to impatient to stand in lines. I hope the SAHF meets your expectations; what else did you pick up? I woulda loved my very own SAHF as well as the Ike&Tina / Tina lp.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Just listening for the umpteenth time to the wonderful Ace CD, Dusty Sings soul and it struck me that some of her tracks would be just right to have re-orchstrated as they have done with som many artists. True there are some that shoud never be touched but theor are ocaasions where she [in my opinion) is held back as she is accompanied by some middle of the road instrumentation.
    So I've listened today and highly recommend this release. Springfield sings our beloved genre gloriously and without a soupcon of pandering or self-importance. Lots [all?) of the tracks have been released previously so the value of this collection is the selection of songs that have been recorded in their 'definitive' rendition by other singers. I can't agree entirely with Paul because 1) I personally don't like new backing tracks-vocals, etc except in the rare case that [for example) the track was unfinished or maybe the singer expressed dislike with the version originally released. So, Paul - if you will - which cuts would you revise? Will be interesting to hear -

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    BRAVO for my friend Carlo! I wanted ... but am to impatient to stand in lines. I hope the SAHF meets your expectations; what else did you pick up? I woulda loved my very own SAHF as well as the Ike&Tina / Tina lp.
    Thanks Peace! I can't blame you. I also traditionally skip out on Record Store Day because I can't be bothered to wait in line. This was the second time I've done this...the first time was last summer and I went home after waiting for 15 mins and it started raining. This time, the line was well managed and efficient, thankfully...so I was in and out much quicker than expected. The staff were taking customers' orders, as they waited in-line, to get into the store. They wrote down the items that I wanted on a piece of paper, and then handed it to the staff inside the store, who verified availability and picked the items. They put everything in a bag for me, with my name written on it. The bag was waiting for me in the store, which I was able to claim, once I was able to move up into the in-store line. Very impressively efficient...if only all stores managed Record Store Day like this. Plus, they only allowed five items per customer, with no duplicates, to discourage the online scalpers/flippers. In-store browsing was not permitted until the line cleared.

In addition to Dusty's See All Her Faces, I also ended up getting the Darlene Love release from Real Gone Music [[see the other thread below this one, for my review).

Hey Carlo,
    my Dusty RSD 2022 is waiting for me at my record store until I can pick it up after a bout of covid. I also ordered a.o. 2 x Bowie, Jesse Ware , Scott Walker, Madonna, Joni Mitchell and Elton John.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Thanks Kenneth !

Of course! I very much agree, she could sing anything!

If there's any Dusty I would like to hear with new/remixed backing tracks, it would be those of her last album "A Very Fine Love." For the most part, the backing falls between two stools. Despite entering territory similar to Bonnie Raitt, they didn't go rootsy enough in most of the instrumental backings. I especially hate some of the tinny drums.

I love "Lovin' Proof" smallworld!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey Carlo,
    my Dusty RSD 2022 is waiting for me at my record store until I can pick it up after a bout of covid. I also ordered a.o. 2 x Bowie, Jesse Ware , Scott Walker, Madonna, Joni Mitchell and Elton John.
    Hey Jack, sorry to hear that you're recovering from covid. Wishing you a quick recovery! All of that amazing new music will be waiting for you and will be sure to boost your spirits

Thanks Carlo. Talking about Dusty, have you heard Shelby Lynne Just A Liitle Lovin album?

Hey Carlo,
    Hi Jack; Sorry to hear that you're dealing with COVID-19 and I wish you a Quick & Full Recovery [and enjoy your RSD 2022 purchases].

Thank you, hope everyone at this forum is in good health!
    Covid is giving me a chance to bingewatch some crime series like Cardinal , listening to music is usually not my thing when I am not feeling well.
    Last edited by jack020; 04-25-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks Carlo. Talking about Dusty, have you heard Shelby Lynne Just A Liitle Lovin album?
    I think I did hear bits of it, years ago, as the album cover is definitely familiar to me. After seeing your post, I took a little listen. She has a lovely voice, yet it's very different than Dusty warm tone. What are your thoughts on this album?

I really love this album, its Dusty songs in a laidback melancholy smooth way. I have 3 versions of it, normal cd, cd with bonus track and SACD. The 2LP version is still on my shopping list!

Shelby is talented, but ... for me, not as talented as her supporters wanted her to be 10 or more years ago. Just my opinion.

Paul, thanks for bringing Dusty up. The only song that I was firmly aware of was "Son Of A Preacher Man." I am listening to the album that song came from and am impressed with it. I got a lot of catching up to do with Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, AKA Dusty Springfield. Can anyone point me to the best CD for her greatest hits?

Hey Carlo,
    A get well from me also Jack.

Thank you!

A few Dusty recommendations:
    Dusty Springfield
    – Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970
    Dusty Springfield
    – A Little Piece Of My Heart - The Essential Dusty Springfield
    Dusty Springfield ‎– The Look Of Love
    Dusty Springfield
    ‎– Something Special
    Dusty Springfield
    ‎– The Dusty Springfield Anthology
    Dusty Springfield
    – Songbooks [[Dusty Sings The Songs Of Bacharach & David And Goffin & King)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/31260...s&filter_anv=0

Yes, I would also recommend starting with the Complete A and B Sides, 2 CD set. It's a good one. That was my first Dusty collection as well

If you really want to splash money, get this one!
    I was lucky to get it in a sale.

https://theseconddisc.com/2011/10/06...ties-and-more/

The Complete A and B Sides uses a remix, actually a mono fold of a stereo remix, for "Little by Little" that sounds quite different to the single mix and lacks some vocal overdubs. I wish Ace would put together a comparative set but with all the correct mixes. They did a good singles set for Marianne Faithfull a few years ago.

I just purchased the 5 album set to start off with. Anyone here prefer mono over stereo?

I tend to prefer the mono. Take "Live It Up." When the backing vocalists {which include Valerie Simpson} come in with "Live it up, live it up baby" at :36, they are right there with Dusty. Presence! Impact!

That's lost for me with the stereo remix. The backing vocalists might as well be singing from another studio, far from Springfield.

Also, you can tell Dusty pitched her vocal for the mix that she OK'd back in the day. She sang OUT, confident that her voice would be placed IN the mix, not just sitting on top of it or way out in front.
    Last edited by smallworld; 04-28-2022 at 04:44 PM.

"All Cried Out" is another instance where I'm confident that Dusty would not have liked the clear, pristine, comparatively antiseptic stereo remix.

Mono

Stereo

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    "All Cried Out" is another instance where I'm confident that Dusty would not have liked the clear, pristine, comparatively antiseptic stereo remix.

Mono

Stereo
    Thank you for sharing this.

I'd not previously heard this in stereo and, as you suggest, it's not a patch on the original mono.

Part of the problem is that Dusty's second, "double" vocal track was probably dubbed directly onto the mono final mix and was never, therefore, available as a separate element to be incorporated into a stereo mix.

Consequently, the modern stereo mix just has a single vocal track that shows all of the characteristics of a single vocal take with no edits or punch-ins. So, for instance, we get to hear it clearly as Dusty's voice cracks slightly towards the end of the instrumental break as there is no attempt to bury by dropping the fader down a bit, but we also get to hear just what a lovely voice it was even without loads of EQ and echo.

This does leave me wondering, however, why the remix engineer didn't follow the pattern of the modern stereo mix of "I Only Want To Be With You", wherein the energy and power of the orchestra are nicely captured, especially as she sings "You stopped and smiled at me" and the drummer shifts up a gear. That mix really rocks, whereas the remix of "All Cried Out" sounds a bit unfinished.

The bonus of the stereo remix of "All Cried Out", however, is that they found and used the correct vocal track whereas for "I Only Want To Be With You" they used a different take that includes Dusty struggling on a couple of high notes.

Despite any flaws, both remixes will get more listens from me, however. Although sometimes frustrating, this kind of stuff fascinates me.

Finally, "All Cried Out" shows that John Franz, his arranger and his mixing engineer understood more about the characteristically powerful Phil Spector drum sound than Bill Medley and his arranger and engineer did on "[You're My] Soul And Inspiration". [Just thought that I'd chuck that in at the end. ]

I'm hoping one of our experts here can comment on these two different versions of My Colouring Book from "A Girl Called Dusty" and "Dusty"...the UK and US versions of her debut album. Were these versions simply mixed differently for each release? One seems to have much more echo applied to her vocal, versus the other.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm hoping one of our experts here can comment on these two different versions of My Colouring Book from "A Girl Called Dusty" and "Dusty"...the UK and US versions of her debut album. Were these versions simply mixed differently for each release? One seems to have much more echo applied to her vocal, versus the other.

Damn!

I'm going to have to listen to these now.

You rotter!

Actually, "Dusty" was Springfield's second US album. Her US debut album was "Stay Awhile - I Only Want To Be With You."

And yes, extra echo was added Stateside. And some of the "stereo" mixes were fake stereo/rechanneled.

A label named Premium Cool released the first three US mono albums on vinyl in 2017.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1078...To-Be-With-You

https://www.discogs.com/release/1082...ingfield-Dusty

https://www.discogs.com/release/10781722-Dusty-Springfield-Ooooooweeee

Last edited by smallworld; 05-07-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Damn!

I'm going to have to listen to these now.

You rotter!
    Hehehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Actually, "Dusty" was Springfield's second US album. Her US debut album was "Stay Awhile - I Only Want To Be With You."

And yes, extra echo was added Stateside. And some of the "stereo" mixes were fake stereo/rechanneled.

A label named Premium Cool released the first three US mono albums on vinyl in 2017.
    Thanks for confirming/clarifying, smallworld. I have original pressings of those first three albums, but I have also been eyeing those 2017 reissues by Premium Cool for some time now. I have seen them in a couple of local shops and have read good things about the quality and sound of those reissues.
    Last edited by carlo; 05-07-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Damn, I didn't know American users on this site were aware of Dusty Springfield. I'm from the UK and she was pretty damn huge during her time back in the 60s.

I wonder how popular she was in the States back in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Damn, I didn't know American users on this site were aware of Dusty Springfield. I'm from the UK and she was pretty damn huge during her time back in the 60s.

I wonder how popular she was in the States back in the 60s.
    she was HUGE in the disco 70s.

well ok not huge, but she did give it a shot ....

I'm friends with the woman who co-wrote the Dusty biography that came out a few years ago. She was friends with Dusty since the Ready Steady Go days back in the mid 60's.My friend told me she'd been attacked by Dusty fans for writing "lies" but that nobody could actually name a single lie. The truth was that Dusty was a lesbian and nobody wanted to know the truth--and they also didn't want to know about her mood swings and temper tantrums. I don't know why people put these entertainers on pedestals. They are human just like the rest of us.

Thank you!

A few Dusty recommendations:
    Dusty Springfield
    – Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970
    Dusty Springfield
    – A Little Piece Of My Heart - The Essential Dusty Springfield
    Dusty Springfield ‎– The Look Of Love
    Dusty Springfield
    ‎– Something Special
    Dusty Springfield
    ‎– The Dusty Springfield Anthology
    Dusty Springfield
    – Songbooks [[Dusty Sings The Songs Of Bacharach & David And Goffin & King)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/31260...s&filter_anv=0
    Was TLOL a cover or the original? Since many have covered it over the years. I was a baby NativeNY in the earlier 60s. I lurv the echo and the atmospherics of the production/arrangement. Her sultry delivery as well; all of which makes the title song evocative of the groovy, laid-back 60s IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I'm friends with the woman who co-wrote the Dusty biography that came out a few years ago. She was friends with Dusty since the Ready Steady Go days back in the mid 60's.My friend told me she'd been attacked by Dusty fans for writing "lies" but that nobody could actually name a single lie. The truth was that Dusty was a lesbian and nobody wanted to know the truth--and they also didn't want to know about her mood swings and temper tantrums. I don't know why people put these entertainers on pedestals. They are human just like the rest of us.
    fans are very often nasty and mean to each other and to the truth.

What a True Lady Dusty was! the many times I met her, her personal life was fairly well known, and no one ever questioned it! The last time she came into the radio station I worked for based in Liverpool, which broadcast from Liverpool, to the North West of England, Cheshire and North Wales, after interviewing her, which was at the time of the Hit with Pet Shop Boys, we always staged drinks in the board room and food. When I had a personal chat with her, I kneeled down before her, and she looked so tired, my eyes filled with tears, but she always made herself aware who she was speajing with her, that hour I will never forget!

True, Circa. Unfortunately.

Dusty's Northern soul classic on Phillips "What's It Gonna Be" its on the complilation

See The others not on the Complilation
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-15-2022 at 11:19 AM.

There's a great Dusty 45 not on the complilation, produced by Thom Bell and written by Gamble & Huff & Bell- Creed in 1970. "I Wanna Be A Free Girl"

Another Gamble & Huff from 1970

"Live It Up" from 1964

Other missing 45 "Don't Forget About Me"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SWqLwQeEug
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 05-15-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Was TLOL a cover or the original?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Look_of_Love_[[1967_song)

For Dusty fans. Dusty's grave is in St. Mary's Church graveyard, Henley On Thames.

The photos were taken this morning, Sunday. As you can see, Dusty's grave is very well maintained and is decorated with lovely fresh blooms from her devoted fans. The O.B.E. on Dusty's gravestone recognises her award from the British Government and The British Monarchy for services to music. O.B.E. stands for Officer of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire and is a very significant honour for British citizens who have excelled with major achievements in their lifetime.
    Name:  dusty 1.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  100.3 KB

The graveyard backdrop

Name:  Dusty 2.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  97.7 KB

And the medieval church, St. Mary's Church, very close to Dusty's graveName:  dusty 3.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  98.5 KB

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. Dusty is one of my favorite singers ever and one of my top three favorite female singers of all time.
    When and if I ever visit Great Britain, I will want to visit this hallowed site.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 10-15-2023 at 11:27 AM.

Beautiful photos, Mike. We paid a visit to Dusty's gravesite when we were in the UK this summer. Henley-On-Thames is such a lovely place. A very loyal Dusty fan and friend named David is responsible for maintaining Dusty's gravestone. He pays to have it regularly cleaned and recently had the lettering re-done. Bless him. She deserves to be celebrated and remembered as one of the greatest.

Did anyone get this new version? Is it a good pressing? I have already so many versions of DIM that I am stil deliberating...