[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Hmmm? Any details?
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ng-Jun-22-2022

Available for pre-order now, for example on Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-...s%2C945&sr=8-4

For me the highlight of the album is "Baby It's Love," which must be the only "original" Marvin Gaye song Ross has sung [[meaning not a cover version of a song originally released by Marvin Gaye). Wonder what the backstory of the song is. The liner notes of the expanded edition merely mention that some of the overdubs were done during the recording of What's Going On. But did Marvin and Anna write the song especially for Diana, or was it a song initially intended for The Originals?

This is an interesting thread.

My view is that the album would have benefited by not including the Beatles' songs. Surely something original was available at the time for Diana to record?

My Place should have been the lead single - for me it's an early form of the assertive The Boss and It's My House.

I'm Still Waiting should have been the next single.

I think this album seemed to not find it's place very well between Diana's first album and Surrender/I'm Still Waiting, which is a great shame as many of the songs are pretty good. I agree with Jaap above, Baby It's Love is a very strong song and might have been a successful single too.

i too like Baby It's Love. i find the lower groove of the tune to be nice. yes i do really like the more peak performance songs from Diana like Mountain and Boss. but BIL has a great melody, a more smoldering feel, etc.

as much as i like it on EIE, imagine if she had recorded it or she re-recorded it AFTER Lady Sings the Blues? to me, BIL is a precursor to the more laid-back, jazz inflected singing she did on the TMITM package

As the “Surrender” album ended up being retitled “I’m Still Waiting”, they should have held EE back and used the best tracks off each album for one release......Perhaps.

Another view, perhaps Baby It's Love should have been held back for Diana & Marvin. I can imagine a nice groove between them on the song, especially if they managed to record it together!

I've always enjoyed the EIE album. It's been my go to DR fix for decades. It's just an easy album to listen to as background music. I like all the Motown originals - ain't no BAD song! [[sorry). The non-Motown covers are fine, better than some of her Supremes-era covers.

I do consider the two A&S albums, from that period, much better but just not as soothing to listen to. The songs on the Surrender album, with the exception of I'll Settle For You and All The Befores, are all structured the same with a slower or softer opening verse and by each song's end there is a crescendo in the lead and background vocals. It's a lot to listen to when you want to kick back.

I agree that had EIE been released after Surrender then it might have been better received, particularly if a single or two could support it.

If cover pics help to sell albums, i really don’t think the best was chosen for EIE. Though quite nice, for me Diana is smiling just a little to broadly. There is a truly stunning shot of her wearing the same costume, with her mouth slightly open that would have added a touch more glamour.
    I really like the cover shots on “DR70” and “Surrender”, both being extremely eye catching.

I always thought that the cover of EIE looked cheap compared to Surrender and DR70. The same could be said that Right On was a great cover for the Supremes and NW with it's pink type, the hodgepodge of photos looked dated and Touch also looked kind of cheap with its b&w photo with the splashes of color on top. I liked the picture but think the graphics cheapened it. Whoever was in charge of the graphics on covers during this time really missed the mark.