[REMOVE ADS]

The "Marveletts" Sing......

It's always perplexed me as a record collector that this LP is always listed with the header "RARE" misprinted" or "misspelled cover version", likely due to the old Goldmine price guides listing it as an error of sorts. I've personally never seen a properly spelled "Marvelettes Sing" cover and have assumed all of them ever sold were misprinted. Is that the general consensus?
    Thanks,
    Darin

Name:  Marvelettes Sing.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  51.7 KB

I think you are correct. I have never heard of nor seen a cover with the group's name spelled correctly on this release.

One thing I've never been sure of though, is which was the original cover? I would tend to think the one with the group's name spelled in error was the original, because it was likely hurriedly recorded and released to capitalize on the group's sudden success [[and "Twistin' Postman" was their second single). Also, on one of the group's later albums, the back cover depicted the "Smash Hits of '62" [[which actually also has a typo - the apostrophe in "62" on the cover comes after 62, not before, where it should be) cover, so I would think that one was put out later.

Certainly everything about the "Marveletts" cover spells "rush job." The only thing that makes me doubt that is wouldn't the 1962 designation in the album title date it unnecessarily, making it seem old after even a year?

Also, isn't this the album that fails to mention Wanda Young [[don't think she was married yet at that point) in the liner notes, even though she sings lead on several numbers such as "Lover Please" and "Twistin' the Night Away" and I think outdoes even the great Roy Orbison on "Dream Baby?" I know at one point she stopped touring with the group when pregnant, at least ceding the way for Florence Ballard to fill in for her a few times, but you'd think they would want to maintain the group's continuity as she hadn't officially left the group then or at any time, even if she had to take a break from the road while awaiting the birth of her child.

Anyone know for sure which cover came first?

Name:  Marvelettes Smash Hits 62.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  87.6 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-19-2022 at 11:09 AM.

My guess is that the above cover is being compared to the 1st pressing cover, which does spell the group's name correctly. Rare and mispelled seems to be used to differentiate between the 2.

I have not seen either of the covers personally.

Name:  Marveletts Sing Covers.JPG
Size:  32.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Also, isn't this the album that fails to mention Wanda Young [[don't think she was married yet at that point) in the liner notes, even though she sings lead on several numbers such as "Lover Please" and "Twistin' the Night Away" and I think outdoes even the great Roy Orbison on "Dream Baby?" I know at one point she stopped touring with the group when pregnant, at least ceding the way for Florence Ballard to fill in for her a few times, but you'd think they would want to maintain the group's continuity as she hadn't officially left the group then or at any time, even if she had to take a break from the road while awaiting the birth of her child.
    Yes, it is true that Wanda isn't mentioned in the liner notes. Perhaps they weren't sure if she was coming back. I've seen at least two publicity photos of the group without Wanda that I assume were taken during this period. Note: one of these photos appears on the cover of the FROM THE VAULTS collection.

Thanks Reese. I'd forgotten that some of the photos depicting a 4-member group at times excluded Wanda. I'm more used to the foursome photos after the first member to leave was no longer with them, like on the "Marvelous" album cover. I always forget if it was Juanita or Georgeanna, perhaps you can tell me.

Thanks Reese. I'd forgotten that some of the photos depicting a 4-member group at times excluded Wanda. I'm more used to the foursome photos after the first member to leave was no longer with them, like on the "Marvelous" album cover. I always forget if it was Juanita or Georgeanna, perhaps you can tell me.
    Wyanetta was the first to leave.

Okay, Reese. Now your response has led to another mystery...Juanita/Wyanetta's name. I had never heard her referred to as Wyanetta until the bio of the group came out which, although it lacked Gladys' participation and input, was pretty well written. I'm not sure I've ever seen her name shown that way since.

Any idea how the lady herself prefers the spelling of her name [[or pronunciation, I guess)?

Sorry, DWSheffer, if I hijacked your thread...I seem to have a tendency to do that.

I think you are correct. I have never heard of nor seen a cover with the group's name spelled correctly on this release.

One thing I've never been sure of though, is which was the original cover? I would tend to think the one with the group's name spelled in error was the original, because it was likely hurriedly recorded and released to capitalize on the group's sudden success [[and "Twistin' Postman" was their second single). Also, on one of the group's later albums, the back cover depicted the "Smash Hits of '62" [[which actually also has a typo - the apostrophe in "62" on the cover comes after 62, not before, where it should be) cover, so I would think that one was put out later.

Certainly everything about the "Marveletts" cover spells "rush job." The only thing that makes me doubt that is wouldn't the 1962 designation in the album title date it unnecessarily, making it seem old after even a year?

Anyone know for sure which cover came first?

According to the Both Sides Now website, the Smash Hits of '62 LP was released first.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    According to the Both Sides Now website, the Smash Hits of '62 LP was released first.
    Interesting...thanks!

Okay, Reese. Now your response has led to another mystery...Juanita/Wyanetta's name. I had never heard her referred to as Wyanetta until the bio of the group came out which, although it lacked Gladys' participation and input, was pretty well written. I'm not sure I've ever seen her name shown that way since.

Any idea how the lady herself prefers the spelling of her name [[or pronunciation, I guess)?

Sorry, DWSheffer, if I hijacked your thread...I seem to have a tendency to do that.
    I assume the Wyanetta spelling is correct because the author interviewed her for the book and used that. But I think it is pronounced like "Juanita," which is probably why there has been confusion over the years.

reese is correct about Wyanetta & Juanita. I have the Marveletts Sing cover LP, which I bought new in about 1964[[when I had the money). The record label [[which is white) spells their name correct. The Marvelettes Sing the Smash Hits of '62 is the first pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    reese is correct about Wyanetta & Juanita. I have the Marveletts Sing cover LP, which I bought new in about 1964[[when I had the money). The record label [[which is white) spells their name correct. The Marvelettes Sing the Smash Hits of '62 is the first pressing.
    I agree with Kenneth...I think Motown wanted to milk the cow dry, so they removed the "Smash Hits of '62" for the 2nd pressing so the album wouldn't be perceived as dated.

1st pressing was released 6/62; 2nd pressing was released 11/13/63.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 04-19-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Here's a link to picture of The Marvelettes as a quartet sans Wanda:

https://www.posterazzi.com/the-marve...chbdmarvcs001/

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    It's always perplexed me as a record collector that this LP is always listed with the header "RARE" misprinted" or "misspelled cover version", likely due to the old Goldmine price guides listing it as an error of sorts. I've personally never seen a properly spelled "Marvelettes Sing" cover and have assumed all of them ever sold were misprinted. Is that the general consensus?
    Thanks,
    Darin

Not only is the title so badly misspelt, but there are two songs spelt in lower case [[while the rest are upper case]] which really GETS ME GOING

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Not only is the title so badly misspelt, but there are two songs spelt in lower case [[while the rest are upper case]] which really GETS ME GOING
    It appears that once the size of the circles was reduced, only 3 words of all capital letters would fit comfortably in the circle. Using all capital letters for the 4 & 6 word titles would mean that the size of the letters would have to be reduced in order to fit. The One Who Loves Me would be the most affected and was a Motown copyright. I don't think Motown would want to make its copyright song the least noticeable of the 10 listed. So that was probably why they chose to use lower case for 2 of the titles.
    Using all capitals could have been acheived by enlarging all the circles but the asthetics would have less pleasing to the eye. I wouldn't be surpised if there was an artistic draft of that fashion that may be lost to history. Or maybe there's such a draft in someone's collection. [No, I don't have one, if one does exist]

Once it was realized certain titles wouldn't fit, they also could've made all titles lower case.

That has got to be one of the ugliest cheapest album covers ever.
    Motown must've been counting the pennies the week that project got financed.

My question is why would they reissue this lp to begin with?

Thanks for the replies and no problem "hi-jacking" the thread, the more conversation the better on any subject IMO!
    Darin

. Also, on one of the group's later albums, the back cover depicted the "Smash Hits of '62" [[which actually also has a typo - the apostrophe in "62" on the cover comes after 62, not before, where it should be) cover, so I would think that one was put out later.

......and the apostrophe debacle worsens:

TWISTIN vs. TWISTIN'
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-20-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    It appears that once the size of the circles was reduced, only 3 words of all capital letters would fit comfortably in the circle. Using all capital letters for the 4 & 6 word titles would mean that the size of the letters would have to be reduced in order to fit. The One Who Loves Me would be the most affected and was a Motown copyright. I don't think Motown would want to make its copyright song the least noticeable of the 10 listed. So that was probably why they chose to use lower case for 2 of the titles.
    Using all capitals could have been acheived by enlarging all the circles but the asthetics would have less pleasing to the eye. I wouldn't be surpised if there was an artistic draft of that fashion that may be lost to history. Or maybe there's such a draft in someone's collection. [No, I don't have one, if one does exist]
    You are quite right lucky. To me, it makes more sense, both logically and aesthetically, to just increase the size of the circles and put all the text in capitals. Its definitely more eye-pleasing to have the song titles in the same case, especially as they are all in circles of the same size. It’s obviously just a cheaply and quickly-made reissue of the much better Smash Hits of '62 cover [as if the spelling mistake of the GROUP'S ACTUAL NAME didn’t give that away ]

[or as Boogie says, make all the text lower case — just pick one and stick with it!!!!!! ]
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-20-2022 at 01:52 PM.

It was reissued in late 1963 because it was a continual seller. Back then 45's RULED.I usually only got an LP for Christmas, Birthday & a good report card at the end of the school year. I saved my lunch money to buy records. At first I thought The Marveletts Sing...was a new LP, I would have rather had the original front cover.

You are quite right lucky. To me, it makes more sense, both logically and aesthetically, to just increase the size of the circles and put all the text in capitals. Its definitely more eye-pleasing to have the song titles in the same case, especially as they are all in circles of the same size. It’s obviously just a cheaply and quickly-made reissue of the much better Smash Hits of '62 cover [as if the spelling mistake of the GROUP'S ACTUAL NAME didn’t give that away ]

[or as Boogie says, make all the text lower case — just pick one and stick with it!!!!!! ]

and Tom watcha think of the three, three then four line-up !

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    and Tom watcha think of the three, three then four line-up !
    I’d not paid much attention to that actually [hee!]. Again though, it makes more logical and aesthetic sense to go three circles, then four, then three… for symmetrical purposes at least

There’s just so much wrong with this cover LOLOL
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-20-2022 at 07:19 PM.

There are two annoyingly different versions of the all-black misspelled cover too: one with information on the spine [[name spelled correctly), and one without. Couldn't tell you if one is rarer than the other though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    ......and the apostrophe debacle worsens:

TWISTIN vs. TWISTIN'
    At least it's in the right place!

Both of my copies are the misspelled version, one is the white label the other yellow globes.Both don`t have titles on the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Thanks,
    Darin

To answer Darin's question, all of the copies of The Marvelettes Sing misspelled the name of the group on the front cover as 'Marveletts'. I've never understood why Motown didn't keep the original design they had on the cover of Smash Hits of 62 and just changed the title.

Perhaps they were trying to copy Phil Spector's Philles Crystals album cover

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...otolist-izGByW

my copy of "The Marveletts Sing" has the white label with Marvelettes spelled correctly & on the side of the cover it just say The Marvelettes[[spelled correctly) Tamla 229.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Perhaps they were trying to copy Phil Spector's Philles Crystals album cover

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...otolist-izGByW
    Good point! It's possible Motown was copying the cover of The Crystals' Sing The Greatest Hits Vol. 1 LP when coming up with the design for The Marvelettes Sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    To answer Darin's question, all of the copies of The Marvelettes Sing misspelled the name of the group on the front cover as 'Marveletts'. I've never understood why Motown didn't keep the original design they had on the cover of Smash Hits of 62 and just changed the title.
    Maybe they were hoping that people would think it was a different album altogether. The overall design was different enough so people might have thought it was a different album, especially if they didn't buy it or didn't see it the first go round.

And that twist dance craze. It died and then was resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good point! It's possible Motown was copying the cover of The Crystals' Sing The Greatest Hits Vol. 1 LP when coming up with the design for The Marvelettes Sing.
    It definitely looks like it! Although The Crystals cover is actually quite nice!!!!

It definitely looks like it! Although The Crystals cover is actually quite nice!!!!
    A lot nicer than the cover for The Marvelettes Sing!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Maybe they were hoping that people would think it was a different album altogether. The overall design was different enough so people might have thought it was a different album, especially if they didn't buy it or didn't see it the first go round.

And that twist dance craze. It died and then was resurrected.
    Good points! Later in the '60s when Motown changed the titles for LPs by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, The Originals & Marvin Gaye, they kept the original designs for those albums [or changed the design for Marvin's I Heard It Though The Grapevine LP]. And they should've called the LP The Marvelettes Twist to cash in on the 'twist dance craze'.

the Twist was an "old folks" dance by the time Marveletts Sing was released in late '63, LOL.

Even Connie Francis‘s album “Do the Twist” was renamed “Dance Party” and given a different cover not long after it first came out. Now I’m curious to know if hers came out before or after the Vandellas album of the same name, which in its own way had a cover controversy of its own, as it was one of several Motown albums depicting white models or in this case pictured a sketch of dancers on the cover. I think it was the book “Girl Groups” said the artists were left off the covers because they wouldn’t be displayed in record stores in the south. I don’t think I’ve ever read that anywhere else, so I’ve always kind of wondered if that were true.

Anyway, I guess fads like the Twist come and go quickly at times! We saw it again with disco about 10 years later! It went from being the hottest craze to what they used to call “box office poison.“
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-22-2022 at 04:25 PM.

maybe before '61 someone at Motown thought that about record displays in the South but by the time of "Dance Party" that was not true at all. As a kid in the South picture case 45's in '61/"62 displayed color photos of Dee Dee Sharp, the Orlons, Chubby Checker in all the stores.

GREAT POST, ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE LEARNED, I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE TWO SPELLINGS OFJUANITA'S NAME...MARVELETTES[did i spell it right, hehehe] FOREVER!!!

Maybe the Juanita spelling was a professional name.