[REMOVE ADS]

Where the heck is cindy ?

Hello Forum,

I was sitting here and I realized that I have not heard much information about Cindy Birdsong in the past few years. Does anyone know how she is ? What she is doing ? Or been in contact with her in the recent time.

Details are vague due to family protecting her privacy, but she's been very ill for several years now and requires 24/7 care.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1968 View Post
    Hello Forum,

I was sitting here and I realized that I have not heard much information about Cindy Birdsong in the past few years. Does anyone know how she is ? What she is doing ? Or been in contact with her in the recent time.
    It seems she is in a nursing home and being cared for.

A few years back, I found reliable information that Cindy was being cared for by a woman from her church. I don't recall the woman's name. Not sure if Cindy was living with her, or if she was living with Cindy.

I believe Scherrie had tried unsuccessfully to visit Cindy; not sure what those circumstances were about.

Cindy's ex Charles is on Facebook and several people I know are friendly with him. He's very tight lipped about Cindy's where abouts and condition.

Truthfully? I always suspected there was some sort of elder abuse happening with this woman.

Discussed, and answered, quite frequently. Cindy is long retired from any form of spotlight and being cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    A few years back, I found reliable information that Cindy was being cared for by a woman from her church. I don't recall the woman's name. Not sure if Cindy was living with her, or if she was living with Cindy.

I believe Scherrie had tried unsuccessfully to visit Cindy; not sure what those circumstances were about.

Cindy's ex Charles is on Facebook and several people I know are friendly with him. He's very tight lipped about Cindy's where abouts and condition.

Truthfully? I always suspected there was some sort of elder abuse happening with this woman.
    This sounds rather worrying. I do wonder the reason for the general mystery surrounding Cindy’s illness. Just what is it someone maybe protecting her from?.

I agree with Mary.

Cindy wasn’t the most well known celebrity but she was part of a well known, well loved group.

She is entitled to whatever privacy she wishes but she might also be comforted to know she is remembered and thought about and cared for.

Regardless of what medical conditions she might have, none of them can be so embarrassing that her long standing fans aren’t told anything other than something like “she has a dreadful condition that no one can even acknowledge and no one is allowed to say a word about it”

It's one thing to wonder about Cindy's whereabouts...it's another thing entirely to publicly speculate about the quality of care that her family has arranged for her. That's a private matter. I don't doubt that she's receiving adequate care. Let's not unnecessarily fuel gossip.

For those who are still wondering about Cindy...there was a thread here in 2013, started by one of our long-time members, REDHOT, who had attended the HAL awards that year. REDHOT had given us a summary of the event, which was a fundraiser benefit for Cindy, and was attended by her son, David, who publicly spoke about his mother. If you are someone who knows about the types of afflictions that can affect individuals in their old age, then you can fill in the blanks yourself, without needing to expect more details/updates from her family, who very clearly want to keep things private. Let's practice some degree of acceptance and be respectful of their wishes.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ndowment-award

Patti LaBelle also disclosed in an interview last year on Andy Cohen's What Happens Live that she is still in touch with Cindy and is praying for her.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-17-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Caring about someone’s well being is not gossip. I also heard that about Scherrie trying to visit Cindy as well. Many celebrities’ families have talked about their challenges with the person who is ill-Glen Campbell made a movie about it. I would wish a little reliable info could be put out.

Michael’s molestation allegations
    Whitney’s drug problems
    Aretha’s failure to pay her bills
    Mary’s men and affairs
    Diana being a bitch

All gossip with some basis in fact

It’s immensely naive to suggest that a concern over Cindy’s well being is anything like the gossip and chit chat that has been filtered through this space over the years.

Get real and get off the self righteous throne.

It is only natural to speculate about a beloved celebrity, especially since there is no information about her illness. I think speculation comes out of love and not a need to gossip. I know that Mary always answered that if a possible Supremes reunion were to happen, Cindy was too ill and wouldn't be able to do it and did not elaborate. I believe Mary did try to see her before the HAL Awards and did not get to see her. I think the continued mystery only fuels speculation. It has been alluded to on this forum that it is possibly a certain illness, but her family chooses not to divulge it. That is their right. We just need to send our love and prayers that she is being well taken care of. I know I stated that Mary's passing touched me deeply but I was so pleased that she was visible and energetic until the end. Mary had health issues, but never really mentioned them except for the mini stroke she had before Motown 45. Seeing Liza Minnelli so frail at the Oscars, I understand the family not wanting to talk about Cindy's illness. Cindy is 82 and if she is in poor health, we do not need to know anything other than she knows she is loved by her fans and friends and family. Still, we can certainly hope she is being taken care of properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    It is only natural to speculate about a beloved celebrity, especially since there is no information about her illness. I think speculation comes out of love and not a need to gossip. I know that Mary always answered that if a possible Supremes reunion were to happen, Cindy was too ill and wouldn't be able to do it and did not elaborate. I believe Mary did try to see her before the HAL Awards and did not get to see her. I think the continued mystery only fuels speculation. It has been alluded to on this forum that it is possibly a certain illness, but her family chooses not to divulge it. That is their right. We just need to send our love and prayers that she is being well taken care of. I know I stated that Mary's passing touched me deeply but I was so pleased that she was visible and energetic until the end. Mary had health issues, but never really mentioned them except for the mini stroke she had before Motown 45. Seeing Liza Minnelli so frail at the Oscars, I understand the family not wanting to talk about Cindy's illness. Cindy is 82 and if she is in poor health, we do not need to know anything other than she knows she is loved by her fans and friends and family. Still, we can certainly hope she is being taken care of properly.
    Hi, Jim - you stated this very well. My additional thought, as stated over the years, is that no [[and, I mean NO) celebrity of any sort is duty-bound to give details of their personal life once they step out of the spotlight. Best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Michael’s molestation allegations
    Whitney’s drug problems
    Aretha’s failure to pay her bills
    Mary’s men and affairs
    Diana being a bitch

All gossip with some basis in fact

It’s immensely naive to suggest that a concern over Cindy’s well being is anything like the gossip and chit chat that has been filtered through this space over the years.

Get real and get off the self righteous throne.
    In case my post wasn't clear enough, I was directly referring to gossiping about the quality of care that Cindy is receiving [[ie. The suggestion made above that Cindy is being abused). That's a little much. I understand the desire to discuss her whereabouts [[ I stated this in my post). Dealing with aging parents and their health can be difficult and challenging. I think we can hopefully all agree on that. Maybe it's their wish [[or Cindy's wish) to not have the public know about and/or see her in decline. Let's respect that. That's all I was saying. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are entitled to yours.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-18-2022 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Well said, Jim.

To your point about Mary's past discussion of her own health, she also discussed her angioplasty procedure in an interview with Inside Edition, some years ago. I once had that video up on YouTube. Not sure if someone has reposted it since then...
    Last edited by carlo; 04-18-2022 at 09:52 AM.

my thoughts are if a celebrity is still living a "public" life then there is some degree of allowance for pictures, updates, fan news, etc. That lack of privacy is the trade of with for having immense fame and wealth generated by those fans.

however whenever a celebrity "retires" from public life, i believe they're entitled to dignity and respect. like that actor from Cosby Show that was photographed and made the headlines for having a job at Trader Joe's. that was a disgusting act, done solely for the reason of profiting off of someone's supposed misfortune.

For Cindy [[or any of the women for that matter) if they've opted to completely remove from celebrity events, appearances and activities then they have every right to be treated as a "normal" person and afforded whatever privacy they which.

now i'm not saying any of us would do anything as vulgar as that article on the Cosby guy. but if Cindy has something like Alzheimer's or dementia or something debilitating, it might have been her wish to not have any outside contact. especially since things can leak and all. i'm sure a source as hideous as TMZ would love to show an unflattering image of a "former Supreme" in nursing care.

There are a number of other female singers that we all admired that have been reported to be ill to one degree or another over the years. Ann Peebles, Gwen McCrae, and Angela Bofill are three that immediately come to mind.

To my knowledge all three of those are still with us and hopefully doing well. But it can be frustrating to hear the news that "something" is wrong with someone you admire but then not receive any follow-up information.

Having said that I fully understand the privacy aspect and goodness knows that gossip ALWAYS gets out of hand. Not sure if there is a solution that would fit all situations.

The problem in not knowing anything, is that you imagine the worst. I just hope she’s not suffering and is being well cared for. I’m sure all will be revealed one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The problem in not knowing anything, is that you imagine the worst. I just hope she’s not suffering and is being well cared for. I’m sure all will be revealed one day.
    Ollie Cindy is indeed being cared for and is not now nor has she ever been a victim of elder abuse.

She needs our prayers and her privacy, which is sometimes too much to ask.

Cindy Birdsong was not a background singer that nobody could tell from a dozen other background singers - she was a member of the most successful female group of all time. Mary Wilson fought her whole life to keep them in the public eye.

Is there not a child, an ex spouse, a sibling that could simply say something as opposed to a fan who was told or who heard - the hearsay from a fan is no evidence at all.

Hence you get suggestions of abuse and suggestions former colleagues were not allowed to see her.

It’s relatively little to ask. It gets you beyond the fan who says “I know a secret and I can’t tell.”

No one is suggesting Cindy be paraded out in public unable to speak.

There is nothing wrong with getting dementia, Alzheimer’s, cancer or covid.

Honestly, I think there’s a better way to handle this.

It may be a little much for you all to comprehend, but elder abuse comes in MANY different forms. A "caregiver" denying a visit from a friend of 40+ years is one form, in my book. Scherrie Payne has been a faithful friend to Cindy for longer than some of us have been alive. We all are entitled to our own opinions. This is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Ollie Cindy is indeed being cared for and is not now nor has she ever been a victim of elder abuse.

She needs our prayers and her privacy, which is sometimes too much to ask.
    Thank you, BayouMotownMan.

If Cindy indeed has dementia/Alzheimer's, based on my own encounters with this horrible disease, within my family...sometimes it can cause a person to be unpredictably violent. There are good days and bad days. On a bad day and depending on the disease's progression, a person with this disease can be triggered into an aggressive/violent episode by anything. This is not always the case with all people, but it does happen and unfortunately I have experienced it. This can be not only a difficult situation to handle, but can also a safety risk to caregivers, family and potential visitors. Caregivers often know how to best manage and de-escalate these types of situations. Sometimes visitors are denied, not because a caregiver is trying to manipulate, isolate or abuse the person they're looking after. Sometimes access is denied because depending on the situation [[such as the one I described above), it's in the best interest of all involved. Since we don't have information on Cindy's situation, I think it's just as fair to speculate that this could be a possiblity/explanation as to why Mary and Scherrie were not able to visit her. Perhaps they were relayed this information after the fact...who knows. We just have a lot of second hand information at this point. Abuse of the elderly is known to happen, but I have my doubts that this is occurring with Cindy. We all wish her well.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-18-2022 at 09:12 PM.

You're absolutely right Carlo. I work in Healthcare and usually the night time is the worst for those with dementia. When I used to work the overnight shift, there was one woman I had to sit with all night because she was getting violent with the female nurses and aids. She smacked in the face many times, called me an ugly bastard and told me her sister was in the parking lot waiting to kick my behind [[saying it nicer than she did lol). By sunrise she was caressing my face and thanking me for "showing her what it was all about" and kissed my hand. I had to laugh.

So these last two posts really make a case for a factual statement of what she has; there should be no embarrassment if in fact she has dementia or Alzheimer’s. A simple statement thanking the friends, colleagues and fans for their concern, she has Alzheimer’s or whatever and the family will make no further comment as it is a private matter.

No more embarrassing or distasteful speculation or comment.

I recall a few years ago someone on this forum demanded that Mary and Diana go to wherever Cindy was and take a picture with her so that the fans could at least have that as evidence or some sort of reunion.

Also a few years ago at a Q and A after one of her residency shows in Vegas someone asked Diana Ross if she was still in touch with The Supremes. She replied that Flo was no longer alive, she didn't know where Cindy was and wondered if Mary was in the audience. I suspect she knew where Cindy was but was respecting privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I recall a few years ago someone on this forum demanded that Mary and Diana go to wherever Cindy was and take a picture with her so that the fans could at least have that as evidence or some sort of reunion.

Also a few years ago at a Q and A after one of her residency shows in Vegas someone asked Diana Ross if she was still in touch with The Supremes. She replied that Flo was no longer alive, she didn't know where Cindy was and wondered if Mary was in the audience. I suspect she knew where Cindy was but was respecting privacy.
    Totally correct, Diana knows where Cindy is and is quite protective of her. I think this subject should be brought to a close guys.

If someone close wants this kind of discussion ended, they need a frank, honest and short statement. Otherwise, in another few months somebody will make the same kind of suggestions and ask the same kind of questions that get asked every few months and that are contained above.

It's life; we live in an era of social media where everything is a free for all. This is not the 1960's.

This is so tame compared to the kind of sensationalism about Diana in the other current thread.