[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross, and others Confirmed For 2022 Montreux Jazz Festival

From UDiscoverMusic.com-
    Switzerland’s Montreux Jazz Festival has announced its 2022 line-up, with the likes of Diana Ross, Gregory Porter and Years & Years among the big names on the bill.

The festival will run from 1 to 16 July on the shores of Lake Geneva, and feature an all-new layout for 2022.

As well as its usual two venues – the Auditorium Stravinski and the Montreux Jazz Lab – the festival will reveal its “beating heart” in the form of a Lake House venue.
    A press release explains: “This large three-story residence will play host to ten enthralling rooms, each offering a unique experience. Open 24 hours a day, the public will be able to wander freely, enjoying unique experiences ranging from the musical, visual, educational or technological. With bars and lounges on each floor, this large house will be a perfect place to enjoy the festival in a lively and intimate setting.”
    Also on the 2022 line-up are Stormzy, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Phoebe Bridgers, Måneskin, Girl In Red, Michael Kiwanuka, Self Esteem, Celeste, Black Pumas and many, many more. Visit the event’s official website for further information.
    Mathieu Jaton, the CEO of Montreux Jazz Festival, said: “With so many great artists set to play this year, the 56th edition of the Montreux Jazz Festival will be one of our finest yet. For over 50 years, Montreux has created some of the most magical moments in music and we are excited to continue the festival’s legacy.”
    Last year, a number of UK and Irish artists were removed from the bill of the Swiss festival due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. The likes of Rag’n’Bone Man, Inhaler, Alfa Mist, Yussef Dayes and more were unable to perform at the festival, with travelers from countries including the UK needing to complete 10 days of quarantine upon entering the country at the time.

I wonder if she will actually perform any jazz?. I guess it likely things will it be confined to “I’m Coming Out”, “I Will Survive” etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I wonder if she will actually perform any jazz?. I guess it likely things will it be confined to “I’m Coming Out”, “I Will Survive” etc.
    MSS played Montreux in 76 and didn't exactly do a set heavy on jazz. So it will likely be Diana's usual show.

Like the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands, the Montreux one does not only feature jazz, but also blues, soul, and pop.

so why call it that

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    so why call it that
    You beat me to it. Calling it a jazz festival does seem a little redundant.

It gives it legitimacy for the uppities sipping wine in their higher paid box seats.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-17-2022 at 06:44 PM.

$165.00
    highest priced show

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Like the North Sea Jazz festival in the Netherlands, the Montreux one does not only feature jazz, but also blues, soul, and pop.
    Yes! And the Toronto Jazz Festival, which Diana headlined in 2019. There are jazz festivals all over the world.

It gives it legitimacy for the uppities sipping wine in their higher paid box seats.
    I've been to jazz festival shows that were outdoor shows in the streets, and I've been to others that were in small clubs, larger theaters, etc. Jazz fest shows aren't normally marketed as being exclusively for snobs. I've been able to discover a lot of different artists and local talent through these festivals.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-17-2022 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

I've been to jazz festival shows that were outdoor shows in the streets, and I've been to others that were in small clubs, larger theaters, etc. Jazz fest shows aren't normally marketed as being exclusively for snobs. I've been able to discover a lot of different artists and local talent through these festivals.
    duly noted. I largely agree!

Seems quite daft to me. They might as well just announce it as a music festival. Perhaps a new jazz arrangement of “I Will Survive” might be a nice touch.

Seems quite daft to me. They might as well just announce it as a music festival. Perhaps a new jazz arrangement of “I Will Survive” might be a nice touch.
    All these festivals started out as Jazz festivals, established their names as such, but needed to expand in genre to keep it profitable and doable. Thanks to the more "mainstream" acts attracting a more wider audience, the organization can ALSO keep programming more niche and alternative jazz artists -- best of both worlds. Montreux Jazz Festival has been around since 1967, North Sea Jazz since 1976. No sense to change the name of such classic institutions. Ignoring the histories of these festivals would be daft.

He haw

Sort of like having a yearly Italian food fest that now has stands of hamburgers and hot dogs and tacos and fish and chips and if anyone notices you say
    Oh no we still have Italian see the pizza stand - right over there

All these festivals started out as Jazz festivals, established their names as such, but needed to expand in genre to keep it profitable and doable. Thanks to the more "mainstream" acts attracting a more wider audience, the organization can ALSO keep programming more niche and alternative jazz artists -- best of both worlds. Montreux Jazz Festival has been around since 1967, North Sea Jazz since 1976. No sense to change the name of such classic institutions. Ignoring the histories of these festivals would be daft.
    I was kind of guessing that was the reason. I think it important the festival at least attempts to keep with the jazz tradition in inviting a modicum of jazz orientated artists to participate. How exciting would it be if Diana performed an entire jazz set at the venue. I would love to hear what she now sounds like now singing songs such as “Strange Fruit” or “You've Changed”.

He haw

Sort of like having a yearly Italian food fest that now has stands of hamburgers and hot dogs and tacos and fish and chips and if anyone notices you say
    Oh no we still have Italian see the pizza stand - right over there
    LOL. That’s a funny analogy

Pop and soul performers come to the Montreux Jazz Festival all the time.

Good reply, Jaap -

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Pop and soul performers come to the Montreux Jazz Festival all the time.
    Indeed they do. I personally think it would make more sense to call it a music festival as jazz appears to represent but a nominal part of the festivities. Having said that, i would still love for Diana to include a couple more songs from LSTB at such an event.