[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Papa Joe's Legacy: J5 v. NE

Hey all!
    As George Clinton & Co. used to say back inaday: "Here's something to put in your ear hole!"
    Follow me on this one -
    With the 3rd or 4th resurgence of New Edition in their Culture Tour w/Uncle Charlie obliterating all kinds of records and such; what, if any, was Joe's take on NE when they burst on the scene? Especially when he heard Candy Girl and Popcorn Love?! Serious competition? Healthy rivals like the Ohio funk bands at the time?

Add to the mix, NE outlasted J5, The Jacksons, MJ and Jermaine's solo megastardom. [[Not factoring those weird forays with the Rebbie, Randy and Tito AND later his sons' efforts.)With the exception of Janet, who's still hungry in her 50's! What's her take in 2022?

Any SDF senior members/Admin.; Ralph, RanRan79, Motown Eddie, Robb like to weigh in?

Let's go!

That's a very good question. While I don't have any information concerning Joe Jackson's feelings about New Edition, I consider The Jackson 5 to be the Godfathers of all the teen-age/young adult Soul Music Groups that followed in their wake. Not forgetting The Five Stairsteps [who enjoyed hit records before The J5 began their run of smashes], but there's no denying the impact The Jackson 5 had on the music industry and their legions of fans.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-16-2022 at 05:31 PM.

I don't know what Joe's thoughts were, as I can't recall ever hearing or reading him commenting on NE or any other 80s boy bands. I have to point out though, that by the time NE came along, the Jacksons as a group were far removed from their bubblegum stage and I can't imagine that Joe, or the fellas themselves, saw NE as competition. Besides at that point, MJ was blowin up on his own. The group was barely existing anyway.

As a Jacksons' fan, I wouldn't call any of their musical attempts "weird". It's unfortunate that Rebbie's one major hit single [[which my mother purchased) is such a nonsensical novelty record, as Rebbie really had some chops. [[A lot of people don't know that she won the Roosevelt Talent Contest before her brothers did.) She cut some nice stuff. Randy also suffered a cruel musical fate when he couldn't find success outside of his family. His Randy and the Gypsys music was really good and his vocal skills are sadly underrated. 3T apparently was huge overseas, but didn't do much over here outside of "Anything For You", which is a song I still play regularly. They cut some other good stuff also, though much of it sounds a bit dated. Jackie's first solo album in the 70s was very good. I still don't understand why it wasn't well received like Michael and Jermaine's first solo gos.

I stand corrected. Latoya's "Gonna Get Rocked" was weird. I still remember where I was the first time I heard it.

I don't know what Papa Joe thought about NE, Menudo, or New Kids, or any others, but I imagine he didn't think any of them could hold a candle to his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't know what Joe's thoughts were, as I can't recall ever hearing or reading him commenting on NE or any other 80s boy bands. I have to point out though, that by the time NE came along, the Jacksons as a group were far removed from their bubblegum stage and I can't imagine that Joe, or the fellas themselves, saw NE as competition. Besides at that point, MJ was blowin up on his own. The group was barely existing anyway.

As a Jacksons' fan, I wouldn't call any of their musical attempts "weird". It's unfortunate that Rebbie's one major hit single [[which my mother purchased) is such a nonsensical novelty record, as Rebbie really had some chops. [[A lot of people don't know that she won the Roosevelt Talent Contest before her brothers did.) She cut some nice stuff. Randy also suffered a cruel musical fate when he couldn't find success outside of his family. His Randy and the Gypsys music was really good and his vocal skills are sadly underrated. 3T apparently was huge overseas, but didn't do much over here outside of "Anything For You", which is a song I still play regularly. They cut some other good stuff also, though much of it sounds a bit dated. Jackie's first solo album in the 70s was very good. I still don't understand why it wasn't well received like Michael and Jermaine's first solo gos.

I stand corrected. Latoya's "Gonna Get Rocked" was weird. I still remember where I was the first time I heard it.

I don't know what Papa Joe thought about NE, Menudo, or New Kids, or any others, but I imagine he didn't think any of them could hold a candle to his kids.
    I stand corrected, RanRan. I digress. Much valid points indeed. And yes Rebbie's, Centipede didn't age well, but you can hear where Janet's voice there. I like Tito's R & B solo output more than his attempt at blues. His guitar still rocks though.

I would suggest The Jacksons An American Dream miniseries and A & E's The Jack5ons A Family Dynasty. [[which highlights Jackie's songwriting and producing chops.) Both a prominent part of my CD collection.

However, I do standby my blown mind over NE's The Culture Tour. [[Jodeci is also on the bill) In their 50s and STILL putting in the work!!
    [[Two takeaways: Bobby had to rest - often and Johnny's voice has finally caught up to his adult body.) Honorable mention: Ralph with the pimp three-quarter coat...

IMO, The Jacksons reached their peak on Epic with Truimph and Destiny albums. Soooo many classic tunes from both LPS.

Side bar: MJ - Off The Wall album
    Jermaine - Don't Take It Personal [[don't recall album it was on) Let's Get Serious and Dynamite singles
    Janet - Control and Rhythm Nation [[ the Jam × Lewis years)
    Rebbie - Centipede
    Tito's smooth, ethereal R&B cut and of Jackie's work/production on the A & E tv series. And Randy and The Gypsys never was a blip on my radar. Sorry. But his bongo playing w/ J5 mesmerized me as a kid, especially his set on Dancing Machine!!

New Edition:
    Ralph - his solo work; Sensitivity; Candy Girl rap
    Bobby - Don't Be Cruel era
    Ronny - that slept on track with his wife!
    Johnny - solo; Fairweather Friend and My My My, etc.
    Mike - putting B2M on and being a mogul!
    Ricky holding his own holding it down. The NE Story and Bobby Brown Story tv series on rewatch mode! Just think of a Temps/Four Tops-like rival showdown!! Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    IMO, The Jacksons reached their peak on Epic with Truimph and Destiny albums. Soooo many classic tunes from both LPS.
    So true! And The Victory Tour in 1984 was the last big hurrah for The Jacksons. By the time that New Edition got going, the action had shifted to Michael's [and later on] Janet Jackson's careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    That's a very good question. While I don't have any information concerning Joe Jackson's feelings about New Edition, I consider The Jackson 5 to be the Godfathers of all the teen-age/young adult Soul Music Groups that followed in their wake. Not forgetting The Five Stairsteps [who enjoyed hit records before The J5 began their run of smashes], but there's no denying the impact The Jackson 5 had on the music industry and their legions of fans.
    Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers and Little Anthony & the Imperials; that group that originally sung Love Jones predates J5, don't they? I mean as far as your "Godfathers of the boy bands" [[particularly in the 80s- 90s.)

I preferred Latoya's drama - reality shows, etc.
    IMO, it seems Randy is just built differently from "The brothers. " Aside from his performances with them in the 70s , he just never seemed to be down with them as a group or family unit. That's my take from the tv movie and reality show I referenced downtrend. Sure he had issues with them [[what family doesn't) but after that horrific motorcycle accident, it appeared it and the all-encompassing fame and spotlight on Mike and Janet with the Jackson fame waning....it had to take some toll on him.

Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers and Little Anthony & the Imperials; that group that originally sung Love Jones predates J5, don't they? I mean as far as your "Godfathers of the boy bands" [[particularly in the 80s- 90s.)
    You're right about Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers and Little Anthony & The Imperials pre-dating The Jackson 5 [and I was wrong not to consider them when talking about Michael Jackson & Co.]. However, I still feel that The Jacksons had an impact on all the teen age Soul music groups from the '70s [and all of them from The Sylvers thru to Hi-Five have been compared to The J5 at one time or another]. And The Brighter Side of Darkness [which formed in 1971] would only enjoy one hit with 1972's "Love Jones" so they came after The Jacksons big run of smash hits.

PS: How About the rivalry between The Jackson 5 and The Osmonds?? The Osmonds enjoyed hits with the songs "One Bad Apple" & "Sweet And Innocent" that copied The Jackson 5 and came out during The J5's run of smash hits in 1970. Being a White group with ties to mainstream pop music, The Osmonds briefly posed a serious threat to the success of The J5. I don't recall any reactions from Joe Jackson about that.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-17-2022 at 04:33 PM.

You're right about Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers and Little Anthony & The Imperials pre-dating The Jackson 5 [and I was wrong not to consider them when talking about Michael Jackson & Co.]. However, I still feel that The Jacksons had an impact on all the teen age Soul music groups from the '70s [and all of them from The Sylvers thru to Hi-Five have been compared to The J5 at one time or another]. And The Brighter Side of Darkness [which formed in 1971] would only enjoy one hit with 1972's "Love Jones" so they came after The Jacksons big run of smash hits.

PS: How About the rivalry between The Jackson 5 and The Osmonds?? The Osmonds enjoyed hits with the songs "One Bad Apple" & "Sweet And Innocent" that copied The Jackson 5 and came out during The J5's run of smash hits in 1970. Being a White group with ties to mainstream pop music, The Osmonds briefly posed a serious threat to the success of The J5. I don't recall any reactions from Joe Jackson about that.
    I remember when "One Bad Apple" came out. I was 6 years old. I remember turning to one of my friends at the time and saying, "They're trying to be like the Jackson 5!".

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I remember when "One Bad Apple" came out. I was 6 years old. I remember turning to one of my friends at the time and saying, "They're trying to be like the Jackson 5!".
    You had a good ear even then!

wiki

The song was written by George Jackson, who originally had the Jackson 5 in mind when he wrote it.[3] According to Donny Osmond, Michael Jackson later told him that the Jackson 5 almost recorded this song first, but chose to record "ABC" instead.[4] Rick Hall recorded and produced the song at his FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, and then brought it to Terry Manning in Memphis to mix.
    I suspect the story has been tweaked as ABC was out a year before ONE BAD APPLE
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-17-2022 at 05:49 PM.

Also, LockHG, don't forget they ALSO had competing variety shows AND Saturday cartoons!! And to blur the lines [[sorry Mr. R. Thicke, I couhelp it) even further; Wait. For. It.
    In '72, on ABC-TV, aired the J5 AND Osmonds cartoon!!! Talk about cross-pollination!

Me too! Copycats.

Randy also suffered a cruel musical fate when he couldn't find success outside of his family. His Randy and the Gypsys music was really good and his vocal skills are sadly underrated. 3T apparently was huge overseas, but didn't do much over here outside of "Anything For You", which is a song I still play regularly. They cut some other good stuff also, though much of it sounds a bit dated. Jackie's first solo album in the 70s was very good. I still don't understand why it wasn't well received like Michael and Jermaine's first solo gos.
    "Is It Him or Me?" is a great track on that album. As for Randy, I've always loved "One More Chance" which I think could have been a good single if it was given some decent promotion. I really think that MJ made a mistake refusing to do any Victory songs on the tour. If he really wanted to be rid of the brothers' reliance on himself, one way to move towards it would have been to let them get a bit more focus at that time so they wouldn't need him so much. Jermaine's success was evidence that it could have maybe worked. I mean 'Wait' would have been a great single - again, with some decent promotional push and a good video - and would have helped present the group as more than MJ's backing band. [[Although, it would've been hard to do that song live with Jackie recovering from his 'accident').

"The brothers" never revisited that Jacksons reunion tour after MJ's death. If I remember correctly, due to lack of interest mostly, according to their Jack5ons Dynast short-lived A & E series.
    Anyone know what their upto nowadays.
    We know what NE is incredibly doing - The Culture Tour.

"The brothers" never revisited that Jacksons reunion tour after MJ's death. If I remember correctly, due to lack of interest mostly, according to their Jack5ons Dynast short-lived A & E series.
    “The brothers” have been touring this year.

I saw the Jacksons on tour in 2013 when they came to Glasgow [[Scotland). I really enjoyed it, though I thought some song choices were odd. Jermaine, for example, sang Dynamite, which was not a hit here, but did not do 'Let's Get Serious' which is relatively well known and hit the U.K. top ten. Still, they put on a good show and it was almost a bucket list thing for me, to get to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidactingsmart View Post
    I saw the Jacksons on tour in 2013 when they came to Glasgow [[Scotland). I really enjoyed it, though I thought some song choices were odd. Jermaine, for example, sang Dynamite, which was not a hit here, but did not do 'Let's Get Serious' which is relatively well known and hit the U.K. top ten. Still, they put on a good show and it was almost a bucket list thing for me, to get to see them.
    I had very similar thoughts after seeing them in Hampton Court a couple of years ago! Jermaine was totally underused as lead singer, considering he was co-lead with Michael on lots of their early hits. I’m still not sure why he didn’t sing lead more, and especially why they didn't do "Let’s Get Serious", which was Jermaine’s one big solo hit. All the other songs they performed were originally Michael-led, so the guys [[mostly lead by Randy]] could never quite recreate the same magic. Still, like you say, it was a good show!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-21-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Side bar: One of Hi-Five's singers [[lead?) passed away last week. "Pooh" sung on I Like [[The Kissing Game) jam , my fave H5 cut.

"Is It Him or Me?" is a great track on that album. As for Randy, I've always loved "One More Chance" which I think could have been a good single if it was given some decent promotion. I really think that MJ made a mistake refusing to do any Victory songs on the tour. If he really wanted to be rid of the brothers' reliance on himself, one way to move towards it would have been to let them get a bit more focus at that time so they wouldn't need him so much. Jermaine's success was evidence that it could have maybe worked. I mean 'Wait' would have been a great single - again, with some decent promotional push and a good video - and would have helped present the group as more than MJ's backing band. [[Although, it would've been hard to do that song live with Jackie recovering from his 'accident').
    "MJ's backing band" I wished I'd thought of that first!!! But oh so true. Just don't let Jermaine hear that....

Their lead was Tony Thompson had passed in 2007. Roderick Clark was the one who job passed.
    Side bar: One of Hi-Five's singers [[lead?) passed away last week. "Pooh" sung on I Like [[The Kissing Game) jam , my fave H5 cut.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Their lead was Tony Thompson had passed in 2007. Roderick Clark was the one who job passed.
    Thanks, bguy69.

To me there's no comparing the two. NE sounds horrible live, with the exception of Johnny Gill, the rest of NE all have marginal voices. Did they make some good records? Yes, sure they did but they sound horrible live. Did NE ever release a live cd/album?

It should be noted that MJ also added to giving hip hop legs; much like JB and Syl did. After Thriller massively blew up and out, many rappers shouted him out in their bars! Such as Uncle L, The Biz, etc. Honestly, NE can't be in that rarefied air. With the exception of Mike Bivins. Hear me out: he managed and/or discovered ABC [[Another Bad Creation), B2M, and was founding member of BBD!!! And just recently, he was named a creative director of the new Harlem Soul Festival! Go Mike!! You know he got soul.

We forgot to throw in the mix the much underrated Soul for Real. I believe I read somewhere one of them became a rapper.

For your consideration: Just Mike's stellar output/performances have spawned several careers, i.e., Usher, Ne-Yo, Bruno Mars, BTS & the whole K-pop universe....!!

NE's got a lock on bubblegum music that has aged quite well, I must say. Again there recent Culture Tour proved that. Fans came out in droves and they brought their kids and grands!

Meanwhile, Papa Joe's and Katherine's legacy endures and still influences pop culture, music, film & tv, streaming platforms and stage. [[ the upcoming MJ musical!) His bodyguard spoke out recently and even penned an eye-opening tome pre-Covid.

Interesting twist: Janet performed WITH NE at a first-ever venue concert after The Kentucky Derby! In a Derby-inspired ensemble no less!! She. Can. Do. No. Wrong. She does not move like a 50 year old. You go girl!!

...and Janet crashed the BBMA last night. Gave Mary J an icon award and they both were fangirling all over the room! Not to mention she "looked fabulous!" Wonder how "the brothers" feel about baby sister and late baby bro. in the news so much. I'm sure there tour ain't smashing no records.

Me too! Copycats.
    The J5 copied them back... listen to the chorus of One Bad Apple by the Osmonds, and then go straight to the chorus of this... {about 37 seconds in}

it's pretty much the same melody.

The J5 copied them back... listen to the chorus of One Bad Apple by the Osmonds, and then go straight to the chorus of this... {about 37 seconds in}

OMG! This one passed me by!!

I love it!!

Nice ear, SAS!! Correct a-mundo. Nice arrangement though. Never heard this before. Infectious melody too.