[REMOVE ADS]

Not bad but it’s never easy to impersonate or copy or emulate Diana

Quoting Joni Mitchell, 'Get your own shit'.

All these groups try to mimic and copy Ross, but for there is no attempt to mimic or copy the other two Supremes. The other two Supremes are just two black ladies in a gown.

This is so bad it had me laughing out loud. The lead singer being simperingly twee, as opposed to confident and unique.
    God forbid anyone should ever think this truly represents the Supremes as were.

I found the lead singer annoyingly over-the-top. The other two were simply 'there' and
    superfluous. The gowns weren't bad. I would imagine this group plays to folks who were
    only familiar with a few of the hits in the Diana era and were happy with that. For anyone who was truly a fan and knew the group they'd be running for the hills!

That was just dreadful. Splicing in Ed Sullivan is so tacky and offensive. I'm pretty sure these girls never came within 100 miles of Ed Sullivan.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    That was just dreadful. Splicing in Ed Sullivan is so tacky and offensive. I'm pretty sure these girls never came within 100 miles of Ed Sullivan.
    I'm pretty sure these girls weren't even born when old Ed kicked the bucket.

Tacky to the Supreme!

They are like a bad high school show choir trio.

I must admit that I thought I would play the video and find that it was not as bad as some of the comments above have said. But IMO, it is. I was able to keep it together until LOVE CHILD. That one made me laugh out loud, a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I must admit that I thought I would play the video and find that it was not as bad as some of the comments above have said. But IMO, it is. I was able to keep it together until LOVE CHILD. That one made me laugh out loud, a few times.
    I'm not sure I laughed....maybe 'cringed'.

The one who's Diana Ross is very one note in her impersonation/"tribute".

Good point

It's always interesting to see through another set of eyes how others see Diana. This woman probably thinks her impression is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This is so bad it had me laughing out loud. The lead singer being simperingly twee, as opposed to confident and unique.
    God forbid anyone should ever think this truly represents the Supremes as were.
    Ollie9, twee is the best word to describe the impersonation. I didn't make it through a whole song, don't know that I could stand an entire set.

I gotta agree this "tribute" group is trying too hard. But, you gotta admit their costumes for Love Child are spot onto the Sullivan performance. LOL

Watching 30 seconds of this [[and that's about all I really could take) underscored for me yet once more just how elusive the whole essence of Diana Ross and The Supremes really is. One of the things that struck me, even as a 12-year-old discovering the group, was that they had this chic, high-fashion, cultured, classy, elegant look. They looked like socialites who just happened to perform pop songs in their spare time. The Supremes also had a personality that floated right off those album covers- there was absolutely nothing, nothing about the group, collectively or individually, that was anonymous or nondescript. I fell in love with the three of them, Mary, Florence, Diana; to me I saw them each with their own energy, personality and charisma. Charisma.

The Supremes had a charisma that you cannot duplicate. They had, to me, an astonishing ability to look as if they could have easily fit into any upper-middle class/upper class setting with instant acceptability. How on earth do three girls from a Detroit housing project achieve, possess [[!) such an innate sense of class, style and boarding school polish that it just projects even from still photographs? I could never wrap my head around how these three came together from the same background and all three had this quality. It's almost along the lines of the universe aligning these three specific girls together. You'd swear all three had been born to a life of boarding schools and finishing schools.

Whenever I see any group of women trying to capture The Supremes look, it NEVER works. It just looks like three random women [[Shantell, La ShaRonnda, KaShifica) from whatever and wherever U.S.A. trying to pull off Haute Couture in cheap Walmart knockoffs. Or worse, even if they could find exact duplicates of the type of fashions The Supremes wore, they'd end up making the dresses look cheap because they wouldn't have the charm, class and elegance of the real Supremes. I'm seeing that you can't just put on pretty dresses and look like the Supremes and that's something too many of these so-called tribute groups fail to comprehend.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 04-18-2022 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Watching 30 seconds of this [[and that's about all I really could take) underscored for me yet once more just how elusive the whole essence of Diana Ross and The Supremes really is. One of the things that struck me, even as a 12-year-old discovering the group, was that they had this chic, high-fashion, cultured, classy, elegant look. They looked like socialites who just happened to perform pop songs in their spare time. The Supremes also had a personality that floated right off those album covers- there was absolutely nothing, nothing about the group, collectively or individually, that was anonymous or nondescript. I fell in love with the three of them, Mary, Florence, Diana; to me I saw them each with their own energy, personality and charisma. Charisma.

The Supremes had a charisma that you cannot duplicate. They had, to me, an astonishing ability to look as if they could have easily fit into any upper-middle class/upper class setting with instant acceptability. How on earth do three girls from a Detroit housing project achieve, possess [[!) such an innate sense of class, style and boarding school polish that it just projects even from still photographs? I could never wrap my head around how these three came together from the same background and all three had this quality. It's almost along the lines of the universe aligning these three specific girls together. You'd swear all three had been born to a life of boarding schools and finishing schools.

Whenever I see any group of women trying to capture The Supremes look, it NEVER works. It just looks like three random women [[Shantell, La ShaRonnda, KaShifica) from whatever and wherever U.S.A. trying to pull off Haute Couture in cheap Walmart knockoffs. Or worse, even if they could find exact duplicates of the type of fashions The Supremes wore, they'd end up making the dresses look cheap because they wouldn't have the charm, class and elegance of the real Supremes. I'm seeing that you can't just put on pretty dresses and look like the Supremes and that's something too many of these so-called tribute groups fail to comprehend.
    I don’t think one has to be born into a life of money and privilege to be able to demonstrate class and sophistication. Natural charisma and talent are what the Supremes gave the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I don’t think one has to be born into a life of money and privilege to be able to demonstrate class and sophistication. Natural charisma and talent are what the Supremes gave the world.
    This. The Supremes were not some mystical never-before-seen unicorns who sprang fully formed from the head of Zeus and graced the ghetto with their “anomalous” presence; they represent a long line of proud, graceful people who have come from similar circumstances for generations. One's being born and raised in the projects—or, for that matter, what first name one has [for crying out LOUD] —has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of “breeding” one has. Statements to the contrary say a hell of a lot more about the speaker[s] than anyone else. Thank you.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-19-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This. The Supremes were not some mystical never-before-seen unicorns who sprang fully formed from the head of Zeus and graced the ghetto with their “anomalous” presence; they represent a long line of proud, graceful people who have come from similar circumstances for generations. One's being born and raised in the projects—or, for that matter, what first name one has [for crying out LOUD] —has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of “breeding” one has. Statements to the contrary say a hell of a lot more about the speaker[s] than anyone else. Thank you.
    My point exactly.