[REMOVE ADS]

Shine Bright: A Very Personal History of Black Women in Pop by Danyel Smith

Has anyone read this book? I'm highly interested. From Goodreads:

"American pop music is arguably this country’s greatest cultural contribution to the world, and its singular voice and virtuosity were created by a shining thread of Black women geniuses stretching back to the country’s founding. This is their surprising, heartbreaking, soaring story—written by one of the preeminent cultural critics of her generation.

A weave of biography, criticism, and memoir, Shine Bright is Danyel Smith’s intimate history of Black women’s music as the foundational story of American pop. Smith has been writing this history for more than five years. But as a music fan, and then as an essayist, editor [[Vibe, Billboard), and podcast host [[Black Girl Songbook), she has been living this history since she was a latchkey kid listening to “Midnight Train to Georgia” on the family stereo.

Smith’s detailed narrative begins with Phillis Wheatley, an enslaved woman who sang her poems, and continues through the stories of Mahalia Jackson, Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, and Mariah Carey, as well as the under-considered careers of Marilyn McCoo, Deniece Williams, and Jody Watley.

Shine Bright is an overdue paean to musical masters whose true stories and genius have been hidden in plain sight—and the book Danyel Smith was born to write"

The pub date is Tuesday, 19 April. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Aside from her considerable resumé, Danyel's a very warm, accessible person, too; I had the pleasure of chatting with her at my old job once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The pub date is Tuesday, 19 April. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Aside from her considerable resumé, Danyel's a very warm, accessible person, too; I had the pleasure of chatting with her at my old job once or twice.
    I'm not familiar with Danyel and will give her podcast a spin tonight -