[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops recording inducted into National Recording Registry

The Washington Post today in a story announced that the Library of Congress National Recording Registry announced its latest selection of 25 recordings. At least Motown got one recording in the 25 outlined in the story.

#13. "Reach Out, I'll Be There" --- the Four Tops 1966 single.

The Librarian of Congress will formally announce the inductees Wednesday morning 4/13.

The latest class of inductees brings the registry to 600 titles in all.

It would be nice to know how many of the 600 titles are Motown related. I do not know how to determine this though.

Great news in view of the forthcoming book on the Four Tops due in May.

Here's The Library Of Congress entry on 'Reach Out, I'll Be There'-
    According to the Motown Museum, “Reach Out, I'll Be There” was the Four Tops’ biggest hit and is considered the vocal group’s theme song. Recorded in Studio A at Hitsville USA and both written and produced by the powerhouse team of Holland-Dozier-Holland, the lyrics grew out of their feeling that women “wanted someone to be there for them, through thick or thin.” Lamont Dozier said that he wanted to write “a journey of emotions with sustained tension, like a bolero.” To achieve that, he “alternated the keys, from a minor, Russian feel in the verse to a major, gospel feel in the chorus.” Levi Stubbs’ impassioned vocal was inspired by an unlikely source: Bob Dylan. According to Dozier, they were inspired by Dylan’s shout singing style on “Like a Rolling Stone” and wanted lead vocalist Stubbs to sing like that. To give his vocal added intensity, Holland-Dozier-Holland put Stubbs at the top of his vocal range so he would have to strain a little. The “galloping” sound, heard prominently at the beginning of the song, is a series of triplet beats struck on the plastic head of a tambourine with no jingles, played by Motown producer Norman Whitfield. Levi Stubbs improvised the lyric, “Just look over your shoulder.” It sounded good, so they kept it in

Great news about the first Motown song I ever heard, and it was life-changing. There is a website where you can view all the listed recordings in the Registry. A quick scan showed Martha and the Vandellas [[Dancing in the Street), The Supremes [[Where did our Love Go), the Temptations [[My Girl), Marvin [[What's Going On), Stevie [[Songs in the Key of Life) and many other great examples from all genres of sound recordings. Here is the link: https://www.loc.gov/programs/nationa...istry-listing/

Nice to hear this song is being recognized. I just recently added to my collection Lamont Dozier's RIAA gold record award for "Reach Out", which was discovered after the sale of Lamont's abandoned storage units in Las Vegas.
    Darin

Name:  Reach Out Gold Disc.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  84.9 KB

Great news!

Lucky you, Darin! I saw this on eBay a bit ago, along with a handful of Lamonte's other gold discs. It's lovely. I tend to wonder what the story was with that storage unit, as I had read that it was registered to his late wife, who passed away relatively recently. It seems this sort of situation happens often enough, as I remember how Aretha and Whitney had their belongings go on auction, after they stopped paying the fees on their respective storage units. Anyway, glad to see that his gold record for Reach Out is in good hands

Thanks Carlo! I also bought some other items from the same seller. I know that the storage unit owners would have to go through due process before the units go to auction, so I'm sure Lamont is/was aware that the contents were sold. It's interesting to me that he wasn't interested in keeping the contents, but I also came to the conclusion that at his age these awards likely aren't what is important to him. He was present and has the memories of being there as it all happened. That's worth 100 times more than these awards, I'm sure!

Yes, you're exactly right, Darin. I also figured the same...he likely doesn't have as much attachment to these physical objects at this stage, hence his willingness to let them go. He likely cares more about not only the memories, but the royalties!

I saw that this same seller was also selling his gold disc for You Can't Hurry Love. I was so close to buying it, but held myself back! It would have been a cool thing to own, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Here's The Library Of Congress entry on 'Reach Out, I'll Be There'-
    According to the Motown Museum, “Reach Out, I'll Be There” was the Four Tops’ biggest hit and is considered the vocal group’s theme song. Recorded in Studio A at Hitsville USA and both written and produced by the powerhouse team of Holland-Dozier-Holland, the lyrics grew out of their feeling that women “wanted someone to be there for them, through thick or thin.” Lamont Dozier said that he wanted to write “a journey of emotions with sustained tension, like a bolero.” To achieve that, he “alternated the keys, from a minor, Russian feel in the verse to a major, gospel feel in the chorus.” Levi Stubbs’ impassioned vocal was inspired by an unlikely source: Bob Dylan. According to Dozier, they were inspired by Dylan’s shout singing style on “Like a Rolling Stone” and wanted lead vocalist Stubbs to sing like that. To give his vocal added intensity, Holland-Dozier-Holland put Stubbs at the top of his vocal range so he would have to strain a little. The “galloping” sound, heard prominently at the beginning of the song, is a series of triplet beats struck on the plastic head of a tambourine with no jingles, played by Motown producer Norman Whitfield. Levi Stubbs improvised the lyric, “Just look over your shoulder.” It sounded good, so they kept it in
    Wow! Great news. Didn't Berry Gordy do the same improvisation for MJ? Or did The Tops do it first?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Wow! Great news. Didn't Berry Gordy do the same improvisation for MJ? Or did The Tops do it first?
    MJ cribbed it years later.

What an Amazing Lamont Dozier Award Disc, I always thought it was unfair, that the radio station I was at for 21 years, would not allow awards given to us, presemters, to leave the they were on the walls of the 4 floor building. Just two artists, sent me my discs direct to my home, Whitney for Bodyguard, and 98 Degrees for their debut album. I was promised a disc for R.Dean Taylor for 'Ghost in my House', as I had been playint it for years from a budget album, they took some pushing to release it as a single, and it was such a major hit when it was, thanks to the Northern Soul Clubs here in the UK.

What took so long

Mu all
    time favorite by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    MJ cribbed it years later.
    And he wanted his girl to look over her shoulders. She'd need mirrors to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The Washington Post today in a story announced that the Library of Congress National Recording Registry announced its latest selection of 25 recordings. At least Motown got one recording in the 25 outlined in the story.

#13. "Reach Out, I'll Be There" --- the Four Tops 1966 single.

The Librarian of Congress will formally announce the inductees Wednesday morning 4/13.

The latest class of inductees brings the registry to 600 titles in all.

It would be nice to know how many of the 600 titles are Motown related. I do not know how to determine this though.

Great news in view of the forthcoming book on the Four Tops due in May.
    Better be the single mix.

Miss Levi. Waiting impatiently on the surviving [[?) member's book.