[REMOVE ADS]

Background Vocals on Marvin's "More Than A Heart Can Stand"

Sounds like it's the Pips in the background? Or is it just The Andantes with Ivy Jo Hunter or with someone else?
    Last edited by carlo; 04-12-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Always sounded like the Pips to me.

It's one of my favorites, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Always sounded like the Pips to me.

It's one of my favorites, btw.
    They back him on You, too

Prefer Jimmy Ruffins version, it was never originally released until 2003 along with eleven other unreleased tracks on the two CD set "Jimmy Ruffin The Ultimate Collection"

Attachment 19678
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 04-19-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Why would the Pips be on background for a MG track? Or were MG's vocals simply put on tracks previously recorded by GK&TP?

I'd obviously not paid enough attention before to know it was The Pips. But you can hear them very clearly!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Yup, but on "You" it sounds like Gladys is with them this time. Another favorite Marvin cut of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Why would the Pips be on background for a MG track? Or were MG's vocals simply put on tracks previously recorded by GK&TP?
    It was Motown, where nearly everybody did background work on somebody else's song at some point. I think one of the Velvelettes claimed they were the only ones who never did that, while another Velvelette claimed they joined the Supremes on a track for a fuller sound. I'm hard pressed to think of an instance where the Marvelettes backed anyone up other than themselves. By the time GKTP joined Motown I figure this was not nearly common practice as it was in the earlier period. It's possible the track was originally intended for GKTP and given to Marvin after the backing vocals had been cut. Or maybe the group was hanging around the studio and Ivy decided to utilize their talents.

To me, this was always one of the most fun and interesting aspects of the Motown experience. Artistically speaking, it had to be so much fun to just jump on a track and kill it.

It was Motown, where nearly everybody did background work on somebody else's song at some point. I think one of the Velvelettes claimed they were the only ones who never did that, while another Velvelette claimed they joined the Supremes on a track for a fuller sound. I'm hard pressed to think of an instance where the Marvelettes backed anyone up other than themselves. By the time GKTP joined Motown I figure this was not nearly common practice as it was in the earlier period. It's possible the track was originally intended for GKTP and given to Marvin after the backing vocals had been cut. Or maybe the group was hanging around the studio and Ivy decided to utilize their talents.

To me, this was always one of the most fun and interesting aspects of the Motown experience. Artistically speaking, it had to be so much fun to just jump on a track and kill it.
    Isn't there also a track by Shorty Long that has the Pips, and maybe even Gladys singing the background? I want to say the track may have been Mobile Lil' the Dancing Witch, originally done by M&TV.

Yup, but on "You" it sounds like Gladys is with them this time. Another favorite Marvin cut of mine.
    She sure is you can clearly hear her

My understanding is that Marvin recorded a session of two tracks with Gladys Knight & The Pips doing the back up... 'You' and 'At Last [[I Found A Love)'.

It would be unlikely Gladys would be in the backing vocal mix if it was an overdub, just The Pips. It all seems arranged with GK&TP booked, and hey who wouldn't want to be in the booth with Marvin!

I remember an interview with Gladys somewhere where she mentioned it. Sure sounds like they all had hella fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLpZGA1UMY

"You" is one of my favorite Marvin songs. The backgrounds are fantastic on it. I had no idea it was the Pips. I'll have to give it a listen tonight.

This is a great interview with Gladys by Mica Paris from 2018 where she shows her love of Marvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3qQt1j-zQ