[REMOVE ADS]

Far Out Magazine - 6 Definitive Diana Ross Songs

Chain Reaction and Muscles? I don't think so.

Your love?! At least the list is different.

Ponderous, eclectic, but any list of 6 is apt to be. Still…….this one is ponderously ponderous.

Only a duet from the 60’s?

hmmm - i'll do my top 6 solo

Mountain
    My Man
    Upside Down
    The boss
    Mahogany
    Reach out and touch

Lists like this are shite.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Mountain
    My Man
    Upside Down
    The boss
    Mahogany
    Reach out and touch
    I thought about this and when I think of definitive songs, I think these 6 really fit that description. Not my favorites, but definitive.

Mountain
    My Man
    Upside Down
    The boss
    Mahogany
    Reach out and touch
    For definitive, i would replace “The Boss” with “I’m Coming Out” and “My Man” for “Good Morning Heartache”. “Touch Me In The Morning” should probably make the list, but where?.

yeah i was torn a bit between TMITM and ROATSH. i prefer Touch to Reach but the image of DR doing ROATSH, getting the audience to stand and hold hands swaying is so iconic. that, for me, edged out Touch

i also gave heavy thought to I'm Coming Out and i can certainly see the argument that perhaps it is more "definitive" than The Boss. but on this one i did lean towards my personal preference lol

don't know anything about FAR'T Magazine

yeah i was torn a bit between TMITM and ROATSH. i prefer Touch to Reach but the image of DR doing ROATSH, getting the audience to stand and hold hands swaying is so iconic. that, for me, edged out Touch

i also gave heavy thought to I'm Coming Out and i can certainly see the argument that perhaps it is more "definitive" than The Boss. but on this one i did lean towards my personal preference lol
    I think “Reach Out And Touch” has to be there. Used as a tool in persuading thousands to hold hands at the same time is no mean achievement. It’s synonymous to a Diana Ross concert.
    I considered replacing “Good Morning Heartache” with “Love Hangover, but ”LSTB” was such an important milestone in her career I felt it had to be represented in a list of six songs.

Diana Ross has had too many hits and too long of a career to narrow it down to just 6 definitive songs. 10 would have been more workable. I take this list as just one person's opinion. At least the writer chose a few things that one wouldn't expect.

My personal 10 definitive Diana Ross songs [[Supremes and solo):

Where Did Our Love Go
    My World is Empty Without You
    Reflections
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    God Bless the Child
    Love Hangover
    Come in from the Rain
    It's My Turn
    Summertime
    When You Tell Me That You Love Me

I feel the LSTB song has to be My Man - go watch her sing it at Grammy.com Motown 60

I also agree with what’s been said about ROAT

Reach Out ... [ROAT? I can't) was [as we know) Diana's first solo release so it's automatically important. It's also a gorgeously written and produced record by our beloved A&S. In Diana's early solo days [in the era of the Vietnam war & other social unrest) the holding-hands thing was lovely and heart-felt. It also became an instantaneous signature song for Diana. Into the 'greed is good' 80's and beyond the act became [sadly) dated and jokey. So be it. Trends, eras, lyrics, etc. come and go. But in fact Reach Out remains a stunning recording all around and the lyric 'make the world a better place' remains poignant as well as entirely valid.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I feel the LSTB song has to be My Man - go watch her sing it at Grammy.com Motown 60

I also agree with what’s been said about ROAT
    I disagree about “My Man”. Sure it was the song that closed out LSTB, but i think it will always be best associated with M’s Fanny Brice and the mega successful Funny Girl movie.
    I consider “Good Morning Heartache” the best remembered song from LSTB, being in turn the song more associated with Diana. It was also a minor hit for her.
    I agree she does a great job when performing “”My Man” live, but this was a definitive list as to which six songs she would be best remembered for.

I think Diana first hits album has her top ten minus last time I saw him, I would add , the boss

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I disagree about “My Man”. Sure it was the song that closed out LSTB, but i think it will always be best associated with M’s Fanny Brice and the mega successful Funny Girl movie.
    I consider “Good Morning Heartache” the best remembered song from LSTB, being in turn the song more associated with Diana. It was also a minor hit for her.
    I agree she does a great job when performing “”My Man” live, but this was a definitive list as to which six songs she would be best remembered for.
    God Bless The child closed out Lady.

My 6.
    Ain't no mountain
    Remember me
    Touch me in the morning
    Do you know where your going to
    Love hangover
    Upside down

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    God Bless The child closed out Lady.
    Of course it did. I guess i think of it as the big show stopper. Diana’s performance of “God Bless The Child” and “Good Morning Heartache” are for me the quintessential versions. I prefer them even to BH. I was hoping the 50th anniversary might see an expanded remaster of the soundtrack. It certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Of course it did. I guess i think of it as the big show stopper. Diana’s performance of “God Bless The Child” and “Good Morning Heartache” are for me the quintessential versions. I prefer them even to BH. I was hoping the 50th anniversary might see an expanded remaster of the soundtrack. It certainly deserves it.
    If it's any consolation, last month I flew Delta in the USA, and one of the movies passengers could watch was Lady Sings the Blues. I watched it and made the flight go by much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    If it's any consolation, last month I flew Delta in the USA, and one of the movies passengers could watch was Lady Sings the Blues. I watched it and made the flight go by much faster.
    How lucky was that. It’s generally not the kind of movie one expects on a flight. I hope you sang along. “I’m his forever mooore”.