[REMOVE ADS]

Save Me Versions by Clodagh Rodgers, Mary Wilson and Louis Mandrell

The Rodgers and Wilson versions seem to have the same lyrics but Mandrell is a re-write. Was the Rodgers single the first version? Was it a big hit in the UK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UsOAhz5_b4

Of the three versions i think Clodagh Rodgers the superior. It’s a nice blend of country and pop performed in a relaxed style. Mary’s vocal is a little overly expressive making it sound a ‘tad fake. Mandrell is ok, though not particularly memorable.

I prefer Clodagh's version but I'm stunned to learn it did nothing in the UK. I'm well familiar with it so it must have had plenty of radio play or TV promotion but still got nowhere.

She did have other hits including 3 Top 10s, one of which was her Eurovision entry *.

COME BACK AND SHAKE ME No 3
    GOODNIGHT MIDNIGHT No 4
    JACK IN THE BOX No 4 *

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I prefer Clodagh's version but I'm stunned to learn it did nothing in the UK. I'm well familiar with it so it must have had plenty of radio play or TV promotion but still got nowhere.

She did have other hits including 3 Top 10s, one of which was her Eurovision entry *.

COME BACK AND SHAKE ME No 3
    GOODNIGHT MIDNIGHT No 4
    JACK IN THE BOX No 4 *
    I was also rather surprised. It’s a commercial song that appears to have been afforded a fair amount of media exposure.
    “Jack In The Box’ was my favourite song when I was eight lol. Happy memories.

I'm not surprised. Clodagh Rodgers hadn't had a hit in five years and she'd become a Light Entertainment TV staple, which made her unattractive/uncool to radio. Cliff Richard could get away with that. The female singers in the UK could not, for the most part. Lulu was able to peak at #18 on the Hot 100 with "I Could Never Miss You {More Than I Do}" in 1981. The same record rose no higher than #62 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I'm not surprised. Clodagh Rodgers hadn't had a hit in five years and she'd become a Light Entertainment TV staple, which made her unattractive/uncool to radio. Cliff Richard could get away with that. The female singers in the UK could not, for the most part. Lulu was able to peak at #18 on the Hot 100 with "I Could Never Miss You {More Than I Do}" in 1981. The same record rose no higher than #62 in the UK.
    Good point. Perhaps she would be forever associated with the girl who sung “Jack In The Box” at Eurovision.
    Lulu did mange a couple of hits in the 80’s, with “The Man Who Sold The World” reaching #3 on the pop charts. The 90’s saw a major uplift in her fortunes as regards hit singles.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-23-2022 at 08:50 AM.

If Motown had released any of the Mary/Dudgeon tracks as a single, should Save Me have been the single? Or a B-side?

Mary's version is good and I would have liked to have seen it as an A-side.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    If Motown had released any of the Mary/Dudgeon tracks as a single, should Save Me have been the single? Or a B-side?
    I know everyone raves about “You Danced My Heart Around The Stars,” but I always felt “Save Me” and “Love Talk” were the standouts. With the right promotion, both would have been hits for Mary especially on the R&B charts.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-23-2022 at 10:48 AM.

I like Mary Love's vocal.

Clout also recorded a version of the song I believe in 1978, which after listening to all versions I think is probably the best version.