[REMOVE ADS]

Shindig responsible for Supremes success?

I'm watching the clip of the Supremes on Mike Douglas in April of '65 where they debut Back In My Arms Again. During the interview they're asked "Would you say Shindig was responsible for your success?" and they all say yes and nod in agreement. Was their first appearance on Shindig really that high profile? I would think he'd mention their appearance on Ed Sullivan instead.

Maybe they are just speaking by the number of appearances. By April 1965, they had appeared on Shindig! twice, as opposed to only once on Sullivan.

was Shindig on the same network as the Mike Douglas show? odds are it was more of a shout out to a sister program and to help ratings. obviously the girls would never have replied "what?!?! are you crazy? who the fuck cares about Shindig!" lol

Shindig was a network show [[ABC). Mike Douglas was a syndicated show affiliated with no network. If I remember correctly, here in NYC Metro area, it was on CBS flagship station WCBS but throughout the country, it could have been on any local affiliated network station, or any local independent station.

I doubt the Ed Sullivan crowd bought many 45s.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    was Shindig on the same network as the Mike Douglas show? odds are it was more of a shout out to a sister program and to help ratings. obviously the girls would never have replied "what?!?! are you crazy? who the fuck cares about Shindig!" lol
    I believe Mike Douglas aired in syndication on stations within the Westinghouse Broadcasting Network. At least that's where he aired in my area.

After the 1979-1980 season, he lost his show to John Davidson. Douglas tried to do his show elsewhere but it didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe Mike Douglas aired in syndication on stations within the Westinghouse Broadcasting Network. At least that's where he aired in my area.

After the 1979-1980 season, he lost his show to John Davidson. Douglas tried to do his show elsewhere but it didn't last long.
    In Los Angeles, "The Mike Douglas Show" appeared on KNBC, which was and is the NBC-owned and operated station. It was not part of a Westinghouse network. Back in that era [[the 1960s and 1970s) there were no "Ellen" or "Kelly Clarkson" programs so stations bought syndicated shows to fill the afternoon hours.

Due to the unison response from the Supremes my guess is that this was a staged plug for Shindig.