[REMOVE ADS]

DMF - what other 60s motown song for them?

what other 60s era Motown song would you have liked the original lineup to do?

don't worry about if a song came out after flo left. and it's also ok to pick a song they did do but with a totally different arrangement [[like it's the same old song).

When you're young and in love - marvelettes

I'm losing you - somewhere i read that this was originally intended for the group or recorded first by them ????? not sure i believe that but would be interesting

Destination Anywhere

Locking up my heart - what if Diana sang Glady's part and Flo did Wanda's?

I'm in a different world

Dont Compare Me With Her..apparently assigned to The Supremes first.
    Standing In The Shadows Of Love...also apparently assigned to The Supremes.
    Without The One You Love
    Theres No Love Left

"I'm Losing You" being intended for The Supremes/DMF isn't the same song as The Temptations' "[I Know I'm] Losing You." The song ILY intended for The Supremes was written by Clarence Paul and Morris Broadnax, didn't get past the demo stage, and [having heard the demo] wasn't some great lost Supremes hit.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    "I'm Losing You" being intended for The Supremes/DMF isn't the same song as The Temptations' "[I Know I'm] Losing You." The song ILY intended for The Supremes was written by Clarence Paul and Morris Broadnax, didn't get past the demo stage, and [having heard the demo] wasn't some great lost Supremes hit.
    interesting!!! when supposedly was this one? did they do much in the studio with Clarence after CWP?

Well, they did do Paul/Broadnax's "Just A Little Misunderstanding" in July 1966 and Clarence produced it, too, but... I'd say "I'm Losing You" was probably intended for around that same period---BUT, it's no "JALM." It's a slower [but not slow] song. I'd venture to say the demo vocalists [it may be the Lewis Sisters] don't really make for a great song--Clarence may even be on it because I think I hear a male voice mixed in there. It sounds very much like an album track candidate to me. For years, I thought they'd covered "[I Know I'm] Losing You" by [before?!] The Tempts, but found that hard to believe. I'd believe this song [ILY] would've been offered as a Supremes song--and filler at that.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    what other 60s era Motown song would you have liked the original lineup to do?

don't worry about if a song came out after flo left. and it's also ok to pick a song they did do but with a totally different arrangement [[like it's the same old song).
    "I'm Ready For Love", "Your Love Is Wonderful", "One Way Out", "I'm In Love [And I Know It]".

Love's Gone Bad - with Mary on lead? or what about flo?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    "I'm Ready For Love", "Your Love Is Wonderful", "One Way Out", "I'm In Love [And I Know It]".
    It's interesting that a lot of songs everyone is mentioning were at one time assigned to the Supremes - "Love's Gone Bad," "There's No Love Left," "Don't Compare Me With Her," among many others were all intended originally for the girls.

"One Way Out" was recorded by the Sups, but HDH for some unknown and strange reason erased their vocals and dubbed the Vandellas over without doing a mix.

I'm Ready For Love" was recorded in the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone." I heard two stories on this. The Hollands said they intended it for the Sups, but Lamont Dozier insisted it was always for Martha. It would have been a great follow-up to "You Can't Hurry Love."

"Come 'Round Here I'm The One You Need" would have been perfect for Supremes or the Four Tops. I can hear Diana as clear as day singing it.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-07-2022 at 01:42 PM.

yeah i doesn't surprise me that practically every producer was trying to work with the girls. you want your song to be a hit so you'll make lots of money and so makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm Ready For Love" was recorded in the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone." I heard two stories on this. The Hollands said they intended it for the Sups, but Lamont Dozier insisted it was always for Martha. It would have been a great follow-up to "You Can't Hurry Love."

"Come 'Round Here I'm The One You Need" would have been perfect for Supremes or the Four Tops. I can hear Diana as clear as day singing it.
    It's interesting to hear that The Supremes recorded a version of "I'm Ready For Love" at the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone". And while I love Martha & The Vandellas take on the song, I agree with you that it would've made a great sequel to The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love". And I also agree that "[Come 'Round Here] I'm The One You Need" would've been perfect for The Supremes or The Four Tops.

More Sixties Motown Songs that Would've Been great for DMF-
    "Baby A Go-Go", "Since You've Been Gone", "I'll Keep Holding On", "Knock On My Door", "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead", "Finders Keepers Losers Weepers", "Never Leave Your Baby's Side".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-10-2022 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    It's interesting to hear that The Supremes recorded a version of "I'm Ready For Love" at the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone". And while I love Martha & The Vandellas take on the song, I agree with you that it would've made a great sequel to The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love". And I also agree that "[Come 'Round Here] I'm The One You Need" would've been perfect for The Supremes or The Four Tops.
    I should clarify the Supremes never recorded "I'm Ready For Love." The instrumental track for it was done in the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone" and the Hollands stated they intended it for the girls. It was "One Way Out" that the Supremes recorded, but their vocals erased.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I should clarify the Supremes never recorded "I'm Ready For Love." The instrumental track for it was done in the same session as "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone" and the Hollands stated they intended it for the girls. It was "One Way Out" that the Supremes recorded, but their vocals erased.
    Thanks for the info Brad. It's too bad since I think that "I'm Ready For Love" would've been great for The Supremes. Oh well...

Brenda Holloway’s We’ll Keep On Rolling but with a Funk Brother instrumental backing.

One more that would've been perfect for DMF-
    "Going To A Go-Go"