[REMOVE ADS]

RIP Bobby Rydell

I loved his song Forget Him, The Cha Cha Cha, and Volare

Good God....another one? Geez....my fave Butterfly Baby

Rest In Peace Bobby Rydell. Thank you for the music. What set Rydell apart from the other Teen Idols of the time, was that he actually could sing. He had a very good voice and understood showmanship. He will be missed.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...0s-1235225834/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...33c8885249a912
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 04-05-2022 at 07:16 PM.

This is sad news. He had at least thirty or forty top forty hits in the fifties and sixties, but is not in the R & R Hall of Fame

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...0s-1235225834/

Very sad to hear. He had a lot of versatility. I absolutely agree he was not your typical teen idol. The material he recorded on Capitol after he left Cameo-Parkway has been rereleased in expanded form and it shows a lot of maturity as well as promise for his future. I'm not sure how much he recorded after that. I think, like with Rick Nelson, he's too often dismissed as lacking any depth and real talent. He deserves much better than that.

I do not know who could possibly think Ricky Nelson or Bobby Rydell could not sing. At the time, I was not a fan of either, but I dam sure knew they could really sing. Bobby Rydell was the youngest entertainer to ever headline the Copacabana. Everyone I ever knew in entertainment that knew Bobby Rydell said what a wonderful, down to earth person he was. Rest In Peace, Bobby Rydell.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I do not know who could possibly think Ricky Nelson or Bobby Rydell could not sing. At the time, I was not a fan of either, but I dam sure knew they could really sing. Bobby Rydell was the youngest entertainer to ever headline the Copacabana. Everyone I ever knew in entertainment that knew Bobby Rydell said what a wonderful, down to earth person he was. Rest In Peace, Bobby Rydell.
    Not long ago I went into a trendy record store that sells mostly new vinyl, all the expensive reissues, and the proprietor, who was definitely of the age that would know Nelson, kind of scoffed at me when I asked if he had any of his albums. I couldn't believe it. I thought that was really tacky. I mean, the guy's running a business and he should at least respect his customers' interests which after all might result in a sale.

And I agree with you...the guy could sing. He may have had all the right connections but I don't see how anyone could question his talent. He also stayed true to his music and grew over the years, never accepting that he might be forgotten after his early glory years. He, BJ Thomas and James Brown are still my all time favorite singers.

RIP Bobby Rydell

#14 Billboard Hot 100 in 1961:

and into the disco fray with his 1976 redo:

I learned something about him that I was unaware of. His last decade of his life must have been pure torture.

This was reported in the WaPo: Mr. Rydell kept busy even as he battled depression and alcoholism following the death of his first wife, and credited a kidney and liver transplant in 2012 with extending his life.

Can one imagine what his life was like with a kidney and liver transplant? I never knew he had these operations.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I learned something about him that I was unaware of. His last decade of his life must have been pure torture.

This was reported in the WaPo: Mr. Rydell kept busy even as he battled depression and alcoholism following the death of his first wife, and credited a kidney and liver transplant in 2012 with extending his life.

Can one imagine what his life was like with a kidney and liver transplant? I never knew he had these operations.
    A dear friend of mine had a kidney transplant during Covid. Pain doesn't even come close to describing his ordeal, not counting BEFORE the transplant! And Bobby had a kidney AND liver transplant?! I cannot fathom that.

Well, enough sad tales. A good friend of mine, when we met, decades ago, he immediately started calling me Bobby Rydell. [[my real name is Rob.) And for the life of me I couldn't understand why. 1) Never heard of him. 2) I was flummoxed as to why I didn't! So I did some research. By the end of my journey, I even read his autobio.!!! Conclusion? 1) Obvious one: Rob=Bobby. 2) I wish I would have learned about Rydell sooner!!! Others said, upthread, he had obvious talent...that's a understatement!!!! I smile whenever I listen to his music. Every.Time.