[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Diana Ross 76

Diana Ross 76

just revisited the EE and this is really a great album. it's enjoying it's 45th anniversary and this week in 1976 saw LH enter the pop charts!

thoughts on the album? it's another hodge podge of producers How does it hold up as a set compared to Touch Me In The Morning [[another hodge podge) or what about the upcoming Baby It's Me [[1 producer)

of the unreleased tracks, should they have replaced some?

I have to say that out of a grouping of unreleased content in an EE, this has to be some of the most diverse and eclectic. You have country-tinged Sorry, Harmony, Masser's To Love Again, the odd Jeffrey Bowden tracks.

This is one of my favorite album of Diana's. In content, I think it just as good as TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING or BABY IT'S ME.

The album is indeed a hodgepodge but I think the songs hang together well. Vocally, she sounds as good as ever but with a bit more grit in her voice, on songs like LOVE HANGOVER, YOU'RE GOOD MY CHILD, and ONE LOVE IN MY LIFETIME. But you still have the classic ballads like AFTER YOU. Even the somewhat older track SMILE fits in well.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    just revisited the EE and this is really a great album. it's enjoying it's 45th anniversary and this week in 1976 saw LH enter the pop charts!

thoughts on the album? it's another hodge podge of producers How does it hold up as a set compared to Touch Me In The Morning [[another hodge podge) or what about the upcoming Baby It's Me [[1 producer)

of the unreleased tracks, should they have replaced some?

I have to say that out of a grouping of unreleased content in an EE, this has to be some of the most diverse and eclectic. You have country-tinged Sorry, Harmony, Masser's To Love Again, the odd Jeffrey Bowden tracks.
    My only negative critique of the album is it’s closer, Smile. I remember thinking it’s dated sound was intentional when DR 76 was released. IMO, To Love Again would have been a much better fit to include with the other Michael Masser productions DYKWYGT, ITITALT and After You.

One of my favourite Diana albums, containing two of the very best ballads of her career in “Theme From Mahogany” and the melancholy “After You”.
    “Love Hangover” is timeless, while i prefer the unreleased version of “Your Good My Child”. “I always thought the superbly soulful “Ain’t Nothing But A Maybe” would have made a good single. Photography of course superb, and must have helped sell the album.

see i enjoy smile but i'm not sure about it being the album closer. i love the arrangement and her vocals - it's another of the treasures from the Blue sessions. One Love is a more jubilant song and perhaps a more fitting closer.

I do really like Harmony and To Love Again. both would have been strong inclusions

Imagine if Diana HAD recorded Don't Leave Me This Way and it had been on here too!

I can still remember the "shock" of hearing Lover Hangover for the first time. I was totally amazed how Diana delivered a performance that was nothing like anything from the past. A superb album throughout which portrays Diana's wide portfolio of skills admirably.

I too like the unreleased versions and would have preferred the full remit of vocals to have been present on the released Love Hangover and One Love In My Lifetime.

Without offending anyone, I am pleased that Don't Leave Me This Way wasn't released by Diana as it was too similar to Love Hangover. Thelma was the right "home" for the song.

Whenever Motown was trying to find a hit on an artist the formula was to have their best producers compete for control of an artist. Then when hit single[[s) happened, the producer of those singles generally got the artist. Diana Ross 1976 was one of these lps. Diana had not been recording much after the birth of her third baby and wanted time off for her family. So the race was on to re-establish her.

The lp is indeed uneven with some great tracks and some not so great. Michael Masser was her pre-dominant producer but Hal Davis got her back with Love Hangover, if only for a short while. He did a few more tracks on Ross that stayed in the vaults and some appeared on the Ross 78 set.

In using this philosophy Motown usually turned out great lps such as Touch Me In The Morning, the Supremes Right On, and the Miracles Renaissance lp. Then sometimes the result was not so satisfying, such as Ross' Last Time I Saw Him and the Supremes 1975 set.

I hated Love Hangover and still do, always sounded like cheap disco. I think if Gordy had stuck with Ross and Masser we'd have had another Streisand. His I Thought It Took A Little Time was astounding only to be buried with the disco crap. Also Ross disliked working with Masser because he pushed her so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Whenever Motown was trying to find a hit on an artist the formula was to have their best producers compete for control of an artist. Then when hit single[[s) happened, the producer of those singles generally got the artist. Diana Ross 1976 was one of these lps. Diana had not been recording much after the birth of her third baby and wanted time off for her family. So the race was on to re-establish her.

The lp is indeed uneven with some great tracks and some not so great. Michael Masser was her pre-dominant producer but Hal Davis got her back with Love Hangover, if only for a short while. He did a few more tracks on Ross that stayed in the vaults and some appeared on the Ross 78 set.

In using this philosophy Motown usually turned out great lps such as Touch Me In The Morning, the Supremes Right On, and the Miracles Renaissance lp. Then sometimes the result was not so satisfying, such as Ross' Last Time I Saw Him and the Supremes 1975 set.

I hated Love Hangover and still do, always sounded like cheap disco. I think if Gordy had stuck with Ross and Masser we'd have had another Streisand. His I Thought It Took A Little Time was astounding only to be buried with the disco crap. Also Ross disliked working with Masser because he pushed her so hard.
    I agree about "I Thought It Took A Little Time" [[although I love "Love Hangover" myself). It's a fantastic song that deserved to chart higher and most definitely would have, but with the 5th Dimension releasing their version of "Love Hangover," Motown had to rush release Diana's version. In doing so, Motown actually hurt the sales of two potential big hits - "I Thought It Took A Little Time" and the Supremes "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking." Motown pulled support and push from those releases and diverted it all to "Love Hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I hated Love Hangover and still do, always sounded like cheap disco. I think if Gordy had stuck with Ross and Masser we'd have had another Streisand. His I Thought It Took A Little Time was astounding only to be buried with the disco crap.
    Streisand scored two huge disco hits in the 70’s with “The Main Event” and “No More Tears [[Enough is Enough). Who needs two Streisand’s?. I would sooner have one Diana Ross.

given that Masser and A&S were the only producers to consistently produce both quality music with DR and big hits, it's amazing he wasn't given a full album. supposedly To Love Again would have been a full lp of his material [[new) and then when she left the label they filled it out with older tunes. but that was 8 or 9 years AFTER he'd hit #1 with TMITM

i know Masser is known predominantly for his mega ballads with DR but songs like No One's Gonna Be A Fool and Together show some of the more upbeat pop potential.

Obviously it is a matter of taste, but "Love Hangover" is a masterpiece. Although clearly "inspired" by Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby", it adds a level of sophistication. I do prefer the alternate version of "Your Good My Child" over the released one. Of the bonus tracks on the EE I would only consider "Harmony" as a good addition to the album, though the released version seems unfinished, demo-like. When I was younger -- this was the only Diana Ross record in my parents' collection -- I loved "Kiss Me Now" but now I think it does not fit the album that well.

i like LH but it's not a song i listen to often. i think the sultry intro with the hot dance mash up was a great idea. just like the story we've all read about Diana first doing the slow sexy part without any problem but then laughing in the studio saying "i can NOT do that!!" until Davis eased her into it, the song itself eased her fans into Diana Doing Disco. by the end it just seems like the most natural thing

i see Side 1 of the album as having somewhat of a story arc. You have two lush ballads - dreamy and romantic. then the first half of LH is turning up the heat. the romance is growing into desire. All of these building up to the hot and heavy climax with the dance part. Then Kiss Me Now is playful afterglow. tickling one another, giggling, smiling

realize some might find it just too jarring and that side 1 should have simply ended with LH. that certainly wouldn't have bothered me but i can also see this arc i've described

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Obviously it is a matter of taste, but "Love Hangover" is a masterpiece. Although clearly "inspired" by Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby", it adds a level of sophistication. I do prefer the alternate version of "Your Good My Child" over the released one. Of the bonus tracks on the EE I would only consider "Harmony" as a good addition to the album, though the released version seems unfinished, demo-like. When I was younger -- this was the only Diana Ross record in my parents' collection -- I loved "Kiss Me Now" but now I think it does not fit the album that well.
    I remember being at a family get-together where everyone was grooving to LOVE HANGOVER. That is, until someone flipped the 45 over. KISS ME NOW began and probably lasted through the first verse before someone took it off the record player.

It may be a hodge podge collection of songs, but for this album it works as it shows off the range Diana Ross possessed as a pop singer and entertainer in 1976. There's something for everyone on this--disco, ballads, pop, standards. And she has the star power to hold it all together to make this a cohesive package. Naming the album after herself may not be terribly creative, but in this instance, it was the right call.

I’m only really familiar with the four singles off this album, but I think "Love Hangover" and "Do You Know Where You're Going To" are Diana at her best. The first a sexy, glorious, funky yet sophisticated disco extravaganza… The second a gorgeously grand and enchanting ballad that sweeps and soars … both entirely different, yet both encapsulating all that is Diana and all that is wonderful…
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-07-2022 at 03:21 PM.

“Love Hangover” is for me the greatest disco record of all time.
    As regards ballads on the album, i think “After You” held greater hit potential then “I Thought It Took A Little Time”. It’s lyrics are certainly far superior.

and no one has mentioned the amazing cover!! is it not one of the best!

and no one has mentioned the amazing cover!! is it not one of the best!
    Mentioned on my first posting. Stunning pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Mentioned on my first posting. Stunning pics.
    oops - missed that! lol

yes it is a stunning pic. the whole shoot is great but the front cover one is really sensational. I can only imagine in 76 seeing that in the stores and just being stunned!

oops - missed that! lol

yes it is a stunning pic. the whole shoot is great but the front cover one is really sensational. I can only imagine in 76 seeing that in the stores and just being stunned!
    I spied the expanded version in a record shop only a couple of years back and it really stood out from the other cd’s.
    The image on the back cover seems to have been used quite a bit over the years on T-shirt’s, compilations etc.

oops - missed that! lol

I still remember how eye-catching that cover was in record stores in 1976!

all of the pics from this photo shoot are great but man. the cover one was just truly sensational that pose!

“After You” should have been the final single.

“After You” should have been the final single.
    i love the song but I find it a bit rambling. there isn't as clear of a structure to the tune in terms of Verse 1, Verse 2, chorus, etc. There isn't a story so much so it's a little hard to follow. But man - stunningly beautiful and one i enjoy hitting the repeat button on.

i just think it might not have clicked as a single 45 on the radio

in the summer of 1976 , Love Hangover was hot and got my attention.i became a huge fan after buying this album. filled with great tracks. at the time i thought Kiss Me Now was a bit out of place . even though i liked it , i felt it would have fit Last Time I Saw him lp better. i would have chosen To Love Again in its place but this is why i love these expanded editions, it gives us a deeper dive into Ross in that time frame. some great tunes and these collections allow us the be our own producer and mix up the track lost.
    Smile was beautiful and I didnt have a problem with it here on this album but i think it does fit the Blue album better.
    overall a great collection of songs.still in my top 5 albums

ps. i LOVE After You as well, and i always thought it should be a single
    motown released the hits album in july , way ahead of time and should have held it back till christmas ,giving One Love time to take off and then released After You.
    i think motown cut the black album short

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    ps. i LOVE After You as well, and i always thought it should be a single
    motown released the hits album in july , way ahead of time and should have held it back till christmas ,giving One Love time to take off and then released After You.
    i think motown cut the black album short
    I very much agree david. The strength of “After You” being it’s relatable lyrics, coupled with Diana’s tender and convincing heartfelt vocal. I was always surprised “One Love In My Lifetime” charted as high as it did.

I always like One Love In My Lifetime,..funky dance track.hoped it would get a dance mix one day. But cool hearing Diana rockin it

i couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with One Love until reading Randy's book and the notes by George. the song wasn't cut down well to a 45 and they left in too much instrumental. if it had been structured a bit better for a single, it probably would have done better

also seems like there was little to no tv promotion for it.

i couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with One Love until reading Randy's book and the notes by George. the song wasn't cut down well to a 45 and they left in too much instrumental. if it had been structured a bit better for a single, it probably would have done better

also seems like there was little to no tv promotion for it.
    I haven't listened to the actual 45 in years but the version of ONE LOVE on her GREATEST HITS album is longer than the version on DIANA ROSS '76. I bought the GREATEST HITS album first and it includes additional instrumental sections that I was suprised to find missing when I bought the DIANA ROSS album.

Re promotion, as with most of her 70s singles, Diana didn't sing it on tv aside from an appearance on THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL and later, her 1977 NBC TV special.

“Love Hangover” is for me the greatest disco record of all time.
    As regards ballads on the album, i think “After You” held greater hit potential then “I Thought It Took A Little Time”. It’s lyrics are certainly far superior.
    "Love Hangover" is a classic and a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    No arguments here Guy.

One Love had too much shouting, and thus, I never liked it.

I certainly think it was the wrong choice of single for the UK. “Ain’t Nothin’ But a Maybe” or “AY” would have been a better choice. For me, “One Love” comes across as just a fairly pleasant little pop number.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Having experienced it in the discos in '76, it was extremely successful in the way it was structured. A DJ could go into it off of any song of any BPM, and while the intro played the floor could change out, although not many would leave, and as more and more found a space on the floor by the time the disco part kicked in, it was packed and there was literally no room left for anyone else to join in.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-13-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Having experienced it in the discos in '76, it was extremely successful in the way it was structured. A DJ could go into it off of any song of any BPM, and while the intro played the floor could change out, although not many would leave, and as more and more found a space on the floor by the time the disco part kicked in, it was packed and there was literally no room left for anyone else to join in.
    At one of the clubs I frequented "in my youth", the DJ would use Love Hangover as the final song in a series of slow "smoochy songs" where the fast section broke up the smooches and the dance floor would come alive.

I love LH to this day, as well as the whole album, especially the alternate versions on the expanded edition. Like others above, I have always regarded I Thought It Took A Little Time as a masterpiece. However, having heard the longer ending on the alternate version, I think the released version could have benefitted from a slightly longer ending to really portray the sense of celebration in the song. I'm sure many of us have lived the feelings portrayed in the song, I know I have and I ended up marrying the lady.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    At one of the clubs I frequented "in my youth", the DJ would use Love Hangover as the final song in a series of slow "smoochy songs" where the fast section broke up the smooches and the dance floor would come alive.

perfect!!

I love LH to this day, as well as the whole album, especially the alternate versions on the expanded edition. Like others above, I have always regarded I Thought It Took A Little Time as a masterpiece. However, having heard the longer ending on the alternate version, I think the released version could have benefitted from a slightly longer ending to really portray the sense of celebration in the song. I'm sure many of us have lived the feelings portrayed in the song, I know I have and I ended up marrying the lady.

more perfect!!