[REMOVE ADS]

Atlanta Entertainment History

Hi!

Please read my review of a new book on the Atlanta music scene.
    There are also reviews of two CDs, including one by the Temptations -

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep1_2022.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Thanks for this information Heikki. Although I have never been to Atlanta [[well maybe to its airport), I understand that it has a great music scene. Back in the day, I absolutely LOVED the Ichiban label, which I am sure is mentioned in this book.

One of their artists as mentioned in your post was Sandra Hall. I have a few of her CDs and found her to be quite entertaining. Millie J's stuff on Ichiban was good also, but in my opinion that label did its best work with Francine Reed and especially with Trudy Lynn. Those two put out some HOT stuff!

Hi David!

I agree with you on those artists that you mentioned.
    Ichiban indeed was mentioned in the book, but surprisingly mainly in the context of rap music.
    Some of the other less-known artists that are featured include Lee Moses, Gorgeous George, Roy Lee Johnson and Barbara Hall. Also Major Lance's tragic life is briefly told about.

Ichiban has released two excellent outstanding CDs circa 1995/1996 in their Soul Classics series as a tribute to the great Mary Wells. I am fortunate enough to have both in my collection.

Never, Never Leave Me - the 20th Century sides - Mary Wells - 19011-2109-2

Dear Lover - The Atco sessions - Mary Wells - 19011-2509-2

A must for all Mary Wells fans. Great releases.

I agree Woodward those are 2 GREAT releases by Ichiban.

In the 21st century, ATL seems synonymous with "The Dirty South", primarily hip-hop & so-called R & B /Soul.[[rap/drill/trap.) Not my cup of tea.