[REMOVE ADS]

Review of Diana's Austin TX show 4/2/22

https://www.austin360.com/story/ente...it/7240349001/

Not sure if this link will actually get you there, hope so.

Yes, it works. Thanks for posting.

wish that site had more room for ads.

Sounds like an OK routine show.
    The writer amended the original, I'm guessing adding that Ross recorded I WILL SURVIVE herself, after first writing he was surprised by that Gloria Gaynor song chosen as her encore.
    I remember the same thing occurring for me when I saw her at The Hollywood Bowl, returning to the stage for her encore and asking "why in the world is she singing Gloria Gaynor's song??"

Ross also took a moment near the end of the show to sign a poster for 14-year-old Louie Ranieri, a lifelong fan from Rhode Island who flew to Austin with his mother to attend the show. A video posted on TikTok of Ranieri being brought to tears when his mother told him they were going to the concert went viral, racking up almost 500,000 likes as of Sunday morning.

Sounds like a rather disappointing show - the set list, tired gowns, and crowd size. Any hope that her act would be updated were quashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Sounds like a rather disappointing show - the set list, tired gowns, and crowd size. Any hope that her act would be updated were quashed.
    I had a friend who attended this show and said she didn't sound her best either. It sounded like she had difficulty hitting some notes and her voice tended to crack a lot. I don't know if its because she's barely performed over the past two years or no rehearsal. Maybe the keys need to be slightly lowered.

but what would she update it with? yes she recorded a new album but several fans that have rather close ties with her [[at least professionally) have stated that she pretty much tired of promotional tours years ago. seems like at this point in her career she enjoys the occasional recording, puts the record out, and that's it. then when she goes on the road, it's mostly about doing a "greatest hits" review. and frankly that seems to be mostly all that she or her fans really want.

the woman has an absolutely massive catalog - she could perform for days and still not sing every song she recorded that's been released. and while us extreme ardent fans might be breathlessly waiting something super rare [[like One love in my lifetime, You Got It or something along those lines) the fact is she hasn't sung those in decades, the band and staging hasn't been set for any of those. and no one but a few of us would care about them. and in an hour-long show, there are too many mega hits to skip in order to make room for those

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    but what would she update it with? yes she recorded a new album but several fans that have rather close ties with her [[at least professionally) have stated that she pretty much tired of promotional tours years ago. seems like at this point in her career she enjoys the occasional recording, puts the record out, and that's it. then when she goes on the road, it's mostly about doing a "greatest hits" review. and frankly that seems to be mostly all that she or her fans really want.

the woman has an absolutely massive catalog - she could perform for days and still not sing every song she recorded that's been released. and while us extreme ardent fans might be breathlessly waiting something super rare [[like One love in my lifetime, You Got It or something along those lines) the fact is she hasn't sung those in decades, the band and staging hasn't been set for any of those. and no one but a few of us would care about them. and in an hour-long show, there are too many mega hits to skip in order to make room for those
    At her age, she's not going to update her show. We all can give up on that. Not gonna happen. But what is frustrating is that with a massive catalog of hit records like she has there is no reason for her to continue singing "More Today Than Yesterday" and "I Will Survive." They're not her songs, we're tired of hearing them. Yes, I know people will say she can sing whatever songs she wants and she does, but again there's no reason to be doing them when she has a treasure chest of hits at her disposal. But none of this matters as she's likely in her last days of touring.

What I want is a sense that Diana Ross is having fun .... not just going through the motions in her sleep .... I saw Bob Dylan do that at a concert and I thought ...don't do me any favors by the mere gift of your regal presence ...

I honestly hope the pressure isn't on her to continue to perform to maintain the homes and comfortable lifestyles of her extended and growing family.

yeah i agree that we could skip those two. my only guess is that she really likes those songs and really enjoys singing them. I always thought she should have tried to push Carry On more. it's a great message and DAMN she sang the F out of it on the Every Day album. it's less known so people wouldn't always just think she's singing someone else's song, like with Survive.

Or frankly, The Boss would be an AMAZING closer

You should not talk about yourself like that it does not look good on you

As regards live concerts, i think Diana has been going through the motions for many a year now. She appears to really enjoy chatting with the audience, but the performances often come across as fairly perfunctory.
    I rather suspect “I Will Survive” to be there at her last curtain call. It’s heartwarming that she at least gains pleasure from performing it again, again and yet again
    I’m guessing this set in cement setlist is what she will be touring the UK with this summer I really hope to be pleasantly surprised, and she performs a couple of songs from her new and very personal album.
    Grateful of course she is still performing at 78.

I'd like to see her mix up the set list a bit. If nothing else rotate some of the hits in and out of the show. I certainly don't expect her to do something like Sleepin, or Heavy Weather, or Turn Me Over, etc.

On the other hand, there was that young fan who went viral on tik tok because his mother had got tickets. Most likely that show in Austin was his first time seeing Diana Ross live, so her show and set list no doubt made him and his mom very happy. And in the end, if the vast majority of people leaving the show are feeling happy and it was time and money well spent, then that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    You should not talk about yourself like that it does not look good on you
    Have pity on the poor dears.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I'd like to see her mix up the set list a bit. If nothing else rotate some of the hits in and out of the show. I certainly don't expect her to do something like Sleepin, or Heavy Weather, or Turn Me Over, etc.
    “Turn Me Over” would make for a perfect addition. Minimal effort and rehearsal needed, with just a few words to remember. Someone should suggest it.

Diana seems to be doing the UK tour that was planned pre-covid; can't wait for more USA dates to appear!

my opinion on the matter is this

this woman has been performing live on stage for over 60 consecutive years. she has more then earned the right to sing whatever the fuck she wants.

she has contributed so much to the world of popular entertainment, being a trailblazer and advancing the positive public image of women and african americans.

therefore if she decides on her set list based on her favs and a few mandatories, that's fine. I might have other favs or prefer to hear other songs, but she's earned this and there is most definitely limited time left to see and enjoy her live. so i'm happy to sit there and hear Baby Love for the 10,000th time

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What I want is a sense that Diana Ross is having fun .... not just going through the motions in her sleep .... I saw Bob Dylan do that at a concert and I thought ...don't do me any favors by the mere gift of your regal presence ...

I honestly hope the pressure isn't on her to continue to perform to maintain the homes and comfortable lifestyles of her extended and growing family.
    Ross has a large family and she wants to ensure they live comfortably for a long time. Money is her main motivation just like for the rest of us who get up and go to work. If it were strictly for the love of performing we'd see variations in her setlist.

from what fans and others have said, she's more than financially secure. she ensured that in the 80s. so her performing today isn't about the revenue. she has a love for her fans and audience and is willing to at least do this. it's a basic greatest hits review. she could easily just retire and enjoy her large family [[which has been and always will be her top priority). but she loves to sing and will agree to a small amount of touring

Bluebrock and others have mentioned that she had already tired of the big, traditional world tours to promote an lp by the late 90s. all of the PR work, the interviews and tv shows, etc. My guess is her goal isn't to worry about if an album scores in the Top 10 or has a big hit. if she's going to record, it's going to be a collection of songs she loves and enjoys. if she performs live, same.

also she's only going to do an hour or so stage show. so let's face it - there's a limited number of songs that can fit in an hour

some of the mandatories IMO would include

Mountain
    theme from mahogany
    Reach out and touch
    the Boss
    I'm coming out
    upside down
    my man
    maybe another 1 or 2 Lady songs
    4 or 5 Supremes songs include Stop, You Can't hurry love, baby love
    I will survive [[while i agree others could be better apparently she loves the song and so it's gonna be include)
    Love hangover
    touch me in the morning
    something from the 80s - why do fools or missing you perhaps

that's roughly 18 or so songs. plus stage patter, dialog, costume changes. This set list really does include the mandatory songs - you can't have a DR concert without most of these. and if each song is 2 - 3 mins, you have an hour-long show

So there's room, at most, for 1 or 2 songs to cycle in? out of the scores that she has

I wonder how many houses out there include Diana's name on the mortgage/ property tax papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I wonder how many houses out there include Diana's name on the mortgage/ property tax papers?
    Not mine. Darn.

...hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    my opinion on the matter is this

this woman has been performing live on stage for over 60 consecutive years. she has more then earned the right to sing whatever the fuck she wants.

she has contributed so much to the world of popular entertainment, being a trailblazer and advancing the positive public image of women and african americans.

therefore if she decides on her set list based on her favs and a few mandatories, that's fine. I might have other favs or prefer to hear other songs, but she's earned this and there is most definitely limited time left to see and enjoy her live. so i'm happy to sit there and hear Baby Love for the 10,000th time
    Personally i couldn’t care less if she has been performing for 80 years and was 92. If the show is stale i would still say so, no matter who the performer. I’m not really into this must be grateful at all times bag.
    I’m pleased if peeps leave the show happy, but there are also many fans, and certainly two that I know personally who long for just a modicum of change to enliven this all so predictable show. It’s just contrasting opinions.

I agree with the points you are raising here, Sup_fan. The current staple of hits in her setlist doesn't leave much wiggle room for new songs. The current show also seems to give her comfort and confidence at her age, without the stress of having to arrange a rehearsal with her band to learn new songs, not to mention also potential challenges with memory, in order to remember the timing, pacing, queues and lyrics of new songs. I don't think she has much of a management team, let alone a formal manager these days. If she were to put something new together, that extra logistical effort would likely need to be initiated and taken on by her directly. At the age of 78, travelling to different cities, states and countries is hard enough, sometimes remembering new lyrics is hard enough...sometimes physically stepping on a stage for an hour or so, is hard enough, for some. This is the reality. I think it's possible that she could throw in the towel any day, in regards to touring. I can understand the comments from fans here and in the Facebook groups, who want to see her reach out to new musical territory on stage. I would love that too, but I just can't see it happening. Some may also find her current 'take me or leave me' attitude frustrating, in regards to offering the same show, no promotional appearances, etc., but this is the reality. At this point, she is giving us whatever she chooses and is focusing on spending time with her loving family. At some point, she's going to stop touring. When that happens, I could see her continuing to do sporadic residencies in Vegas. That type of setting, where she's in the same place for longer stretches of time, would likely make it much easier for her to stage a new show, if she wanted to. And just maybe, we'd get to hear her perform "Turn Me Over"
    Last edited by carlo; 04-06-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Very insightful commentary. Let's all be appreciative that Ms.Ross continues to tour and enjoys to perform. In reality, her set list echoes the mindset of her song "I Am Me". When you go to a Diana Ross Concert, you will "Have Fun Again".

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Very insightful commentary. Let's all be appreciative that Ms.Ross continues to tour and enjoys to perform. In reality, her set list echoes the mindset of her song "I Am Me". When you go to a Diana Ross Concert, you will "Have Fun Again".
    Thats funny, i was listening to “I Am Me” in the car today.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I can understand the comments from fans here and in the Facebook groups, who want to see her reach out to new musical territory on stage. I would love that too, but I just can't see it happening. Some may also find her current 'take me or leave me' attitude frustrating, in regards to offering the same show, no promotional appearances, etc., but this is the reality. At this point, she is giving us whatever she chooses and is focusing on spending time with her loving family.
    At some point, she's going to stop touring. When that happens, I could see her continuing to do sporadic residencies in Vegas. That type of setting, where she's in the same place for longer stretches of time, would likely make it much easier for her to stage a new show, if she wanted to. And just maybe, we'd get to hear her perform "Turn Me Over"
    A brand new Vegas show when she hits her 80’s might be rather interesting. Personally I can’t ever imagine that happening but hey, never say never lol.
    I find it sad that LSTB, being probably the biggest achievement of her solo career is reduced to repeat performance of one song or nothing at all. Perhaps the bulk of the crowd that now attend her shows would rather here something they can sing along to as in “I Will Survive”.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Agree! Lets face it, it's not the Ms Ross from Central Park, It's not the ms Ross sounding the same as on the records.

Appearances can be deceiving, she looks great, there must be something in the water at Hitsville, because so does Thelma Houston, Claudette Robinson, Suzanne DePasse Otis Williams, Smokey Robinson and even Berry Gordy. They don't look like their age, but inside they are still late 70's, early 80's and even well in the 90's. Don't dare to ask if it is all natural....Kim Weston and Martha Reeves have aged gracefully and still look beautiful in their own way.

I don't know about you but I don't know any people at that age who still have the drive, the energy and the desire to become number 1, or re-invent themself. Especially if you have done that for 30+ years.

Yes, I do to have fantasies about songs I would like her to perform live. I dream that in a few years she will do a "Stolen Moments" show during a residency.

But, we have followed her throughout the years, some longer than others and by now we should have a little understanding of her behavior. Harshly put, she is an oldies act with a greatest hits oldie show. At the same time, if you have the chance to go to one of her concerts now, go. She seems more relaxed than ever, inhaling the admiration and love she gets and there is still some peak time Diana Ross, the Boss, left in her.
    Last edited by 1382hitsville; 04-08-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Sadly, some of the gowns look as old as the songs.

Sadly, some of the gowns look as old as the songs.
    [haha, ahem], there have been plenty threads about how long Mary and the Supremes wore their dresses, but Diana is too wearing some to the threat...Doesn't she like shopping anymore?

now that is something that could be easily updated - some new gowns. and as much as she loves fashion, that should be an easy one