[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations' new album ‘60’

It seems as though The Tempts' new album from January, 60, passed without much fanfare and discussion here, so I thought I’d start a thread about it!

I thought the album had some good tracks on it, my favourites being "How Do You Spell Love" and "I Want It Right Now".

Anyone else listened to it?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-30-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Is “How Do You Spell Love” the same song that Margie Joseph sang which has as the answer “m-o-n-e-y?”

Hi Tom,
    Yes, weird that hardly any talk about this...I love this album!

As you see, 3 responses:
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...s-60-Chapter-2

Kenneth, no, I believe it's a new recorded song.

My thoughts:
    1. Let it Reign: not my taste, but again, establishing the Temptations as a great backing vocal group.
    2. When We Were Kings: Since Phoenix Rising, the Temptations sing a lot about them selves. Every album since them ["still Tempting"].
    3. Is It Gonna Be Yes Or No: I like it. Meandering. Old fashioned sound.
    4. Time For The People: social concious song. Hmm.
    5. Elevator Eyes: Third attempt? This song is presented as new since 1994 [box set] and 2000 Awesome
    6. My Whole World Stopped Without You: sweet do wop style, like it
    7. You Don't Know Your Woman: like it, except the autotune
    8. How Do You Spell Love: The mid 80's called, they want the Temptations back...
    9. Calling Out Your Name: The late 80's called, they too want the Temptations back..
    10. I Want You Right Now: yes, the steelpan is back! Like it
    11. Breaking My Back: Just My Imagination Running Away, but then different
    12. Come On: Including a 3 minute story, Otis telling the first time when he met Mr. Gordy and when they signed to Motown. And thankfully, a thanks to Mr. Gordy. [remember all the CDs coming out in the 90's when in the liner notes the handclappers, foot stompers and finally Mr Gordy was always thanked]

Final conclusion:
    A lot of memory lane, some songs to my taste, others require additional listening and growing custom too.

However, thank you Otis, for keeping the legacy alive, and releasing new music! 60! The Temptations are an institute and I'm happy they are still around!
    Last edited by 1382hitsville; 03-31-2022 at 03:00 AM.

I didn't listen to all of it because i'm pressed for time, but I like what I hear. This is good stuff!

In don't like the opening track. I'm sick of rap.

Great assessment 1382!

"Is It Gonna Be Yes Or No" is also nice. Very much a Smokey song… very laidback and mellow…

I also really like "Calling Out Your Name", nice 80s/90s vibes and great vocal by Terry Weeks.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-31-2022 at 10:57 AM.

I admit Ron Tyson still has it. But without a Dennis, Ollie, David it's just not the same group. Granted, from time to time Otis shines through. Everybody's listening to Otis now!! 60 years later!

Am I right in thinking these tracks were recorded without a fifth Temptation? Mario Corbino didn't seem to last five minutes, and the new guy can't have been aboard for the recordings. The album cover pic is coy, and only four guys have featured in the publicity pix for the release, plus in the Is It Gonna Be Yes Or No video there are just the four.

I've heard worse from them but then I've heard much better. It's ironic that the last Temptation is the one with the least talent!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Am I right in thinking these tracks were recorded without a fifth Temptation? Mario Corbino didn't seem to last five minutes, and the new guy can't have been aboard for the recordings. The album cover pic is coy, and only four guys have featured in the publicity pix for the release, plus in the Is It Gonna Be Yes Or No video there are just the four.
    Quite possibly soulwally! So, The Tempts that are definitely on the album would be Otis Williams, Ron Tyson, Terry Weeks and Willie Green. Having said that, I don’t recognise the lead vocals on a couple of tracks, so maybe a fifth Temptation was involved

No mention of who the 5th Temptation is here either… https://artsfuse.org/247969/album-re...l-celebration/

Copley, you're renting space in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    No mention of who the 5th Temptation is here either… https://artsfuse.org/247969/album-re...l-celebration/
    Wow, that review should definitely sell a few copies! That writer really knew the groups history. Brilliant review.

I've played it a few more times and each time I like it more, except for the first song with the rapping in it. It's an excellent album! More up-tempo, and better than the last few albums they did. It's almost as good as "The Last Word" by the O'Jays.

It has grown on me too soulster! I thought the last album they did, All The Time, was pretty good, but it was mostly covers, so didn’t feel quite like a Tempts album. This definitely does!

And that O'Jays album is great too!! I love "68 Summer Nights" and "Start Stoppin"
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-10-2022 at 07:06 AM.

Hi!

My short review: https://www.soulexpress.net/deep1_2022.htm#temptations

Best regards
    Heikki

Back inaday, what was the recording session like with Rick James on Standing on the Top [[Part 1 and 2) at Motown?

The album has been growing on me more recently. I also like "Time For The People", quite funky and feisty. And "You Don't Know Your Woman [Like I Do]" has a nice Motown groove, although the production is a bit synthesised. It actually reminds me of something off R. Kelly’s two Motown-inspired albums, Love Letter and Write Me Back.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Back inaday, what was the recording session like with Rick James on Standing on the Top [[Part 1 and 2) at Motown?
    Hey nativeNY, I wasn’t there, but I’m sure it was interesting to say the least!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey nativeNY, I wasn’t there, but I’m sure it was interesting to say the least!!!

Fair enough! Your vid helps.. Thanks, TomT.