[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up Boyz II Men: Weren't They on Motown?

Was just thinking the above. Were B2M on Motown? I'm thinking MotownPhilly album. Am I right or wrong?

Yeah! They were with Motown for the whole of the 90s [[when they were the label's top act, I'm sure]]

The biggest selling R&B act, according to this article:
    https://www.udiscovermusic.com/artist/boyz-ii-men/

Motownphilly's back again…

…doin' a lil' east coast swing

yes, but Motown was just another record label by that time.

Boyz II Men were an excellent act on the Motown label.

In the UK they had 12 top 40 hits

END OF THE ROAD 01
    MOTOWNPHILLY 23
    IN THE STILL OF THE NITE [[I'LL REMEMBER) 27
    I'LL MAKE LOVE TO YOU 05
    ON BENDED KNEE 20
    THANK YOU 26
    WATER RUNS DRY 24
    ONE SWEET DAY 06
    HEY LOVER 17
    4 SEASONS OF LONELINESS 10
    A SONG FOR MAMA 34
    CAN'T LET HER GO 23

Did yall catch them collab on the CMAs? They song [[Cold]]. Powerful cover!!

During their early-mid 90s heyday it was said that of all the post Berry Gordy Motown acts Boyz II Men was the only one that would have fit in and thrived in the classic Motown era

I agree. And the Boyz still bringing the fire! All that's left for their bucket list is a Lifetime A & E, BET bio. [[Think the New Edition/Bobby Brown stories. )

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Motownphilly's back again…

…doin' a lil' east coast swing
    ...not too hard, not too soft.

Guys, you MUST check out, on YouTube, Talks on Google. B2M break down their 3+ decades of musical greatness for about two hours. Very frank discussion about the low points too. Such as the Mike McCarty drama and the years when they fell off. Oh...and lots of humor too.

Wonder if Micheal Bivins from NE is still managing them?

Yeah, they were with Motown, but let's be honest... Motown was past it's heyday, when I think of the pinnacle of Motown to me it starts from 1962 and ends in 1974

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    Yeah, they were with Motown, but let's be honest... Motown was past it's heyday, when I think of the pinnacle of Motown to me it starts from 1962 and ends in 1974
    Motown moved on - problem? I think not. And here's the thing 1962 to 1974 = 12 years.

1974 to 1992 [["The End Of The Road") = 16 years.

Boyz II Men brought back the glory for Motown Records - and won a Grammy to boot.

From Wikipedia

"End of the Road" achieved domestic and international success. In the United States it spent a then record breaking 13 weeks at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, a record broken later in the year by Whitney Houston's 14-week number one hit "I Will Always Love You"; Boyz II Men would later match Houston's record with "I'll Make Love to You", which spent 14 weeks at number one in 1994, and then reclaim the record with "One Sweet Day" [[a duet with Mariah Carey), which spent 16 weeks at number one from 1995 to 1996.

"End of the Road" was the number one single of 1992 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1992. It is ranked by Billboard as the sixth most successful song of the decade 1990–1999.[1] It is also ranked at number 55 on Billboard's "All Time Top 100 Songs".[2] Internationally, "End of the Road" reached number one in Australia, United Kingdom and the Hot 100 Eurochart, among others. "End of the Road" has been certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for shipments of over one million units in the United States.[3] The song also won Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and Best R&B Song at the 1993 Grammy Awards.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-09-2022 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Motown moved on - problem? I think not. And here's the thing 1962 to 1974 = 12 years.

1974 to 1992 [["The End Of The Road") = 16 years.

Boyz II Men brought back the glory for Motown Records - and won a Grammy to boot.

From Wikipedia

"End of the Road" achieved domestic and international success. In the United States it spent a then record breaking 13 weeks at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, a record broken later in the year by Whitney Houston's 14-week number one hit "I Will Always Love You"; Boyz II Men would later match Houston's record with "I'll Make Love to You", which spent 14 weeks at number one in 1994, and then reclaim the record with "One Sweet Day" [[a duet with Mariah Carey), which spent 16 weeks at number one from 1995 to 1996.

"End of the Road" was the number one single of 1992 on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1992. It is ranked by Billboard as the sixth most successful song of the decade 1990–1999.[1] It is also ranked at number 55 on Billboard's "All Time Top 100 Songs".[2] Internationally, "End of the Road" reached number one in Australia, United Kingdom and the Hot 100 Eurochart, among others. "End of the Road" has been certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for shipments of over one million units in the United States.[3] The song also won Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals and Best R&B Song at the 1993 Grammy Awards.

That's nice, but Motown were still past their prime then, whenever people think of Motown of all generations, not just those who came of age during the 60s and the earlier part of the 70s, they think of that timeline I referred and the Detroit acts

All you posted was their achievements which really doesn't prove your point.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    yes, but Motown was just another record label by that time.
    And by the 90s, they were owned by Universal. It was no longer berry Gordy's company.

During Boys II Men's chart run of hits in the 80s, about the only other major artists the label had were Johnny Gil, Today, The Boys, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, and Shanice, and a couple of soundtrack albums. Of course, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson weren't consistent in their release schedules, and no longer appealed to a young hip-hop audience.

Public Enemy's "Fight The Power" came out on Motown because that's the label that released the soundtrack to "Do The Right Thing". They were signed to Columbia Records at the time. The only other soundtrack I remember from this time was "Cooley High".

In the early 90s, after MCA bought them, Motown was furiously reissuing product for the CD market, even partnering with Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    That's nice, but Motown were still past their prime then, whenever people think of Motown of all generations, not just those who came of age during the 60s and the earlier part of the 70s, they think of that timeline I referred and the Detroit acts

All you posted was their achievements which really doesn't prove your point.
    I don't know if you noticed but the thread is about Boyz II Men - so their achievements are exactly the point. What's the purpose in widening the discussion to "the good old days" which by your own admissions were short lived. It seems like a vain attempt to cheapen the achievements of Boyz II Men [[and anyone else who came after the "heyday") because they weren't part of that era. Believe it or not, Motown has had plenty of great acts since 1974.

Looking forward to their biopic, Brotherly.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    And by the 90s, they were owned by Universal. It was no longer berry Gordy's company.

During Boys II Men's chart run of hits in the 80s, about the only other major artists the label had were Johnny Gil, Today, The Boys, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, and Shanice, and a couple of soundtrack albums. Of course, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson weren't consistent in their release schedules, and no longer appealed to a young hip-hop audience.

Public Enemy's "Fight The Power" came out on Motown because that's the label that released the soundtrack to "Do The Right Thing". They were signed to Columbia Records at the time. The only other soundtrack I remember from this time was "Cooley High".

In the early 90s, after MCA bought them, Motown was furiously reissuing product for the CD market, even partnering with Rhino.
    Check out "Fight The Power" remix 2020 - speaks to George Floyd/Brianna Taylor; Nas, Queen Pen, etc. w/PE. Very haunting track.

i was going to ask if this forum thought boyz ii men were motown and unsurprisingly, question answered!

"formally, yes, but not in spirit: no"

the DTS cut of their second album is a "can't miss" if you ask me.