[REMOVE ADS]

Supreme Connection to last night's Oscars

We had some Supreme connections at last night's Oscars. Arianna Debose, who won Best Supporting Actress for West Side Story, was in the Broadway version of Motown the Musical playing our beloved Mary Wilson and understudy to the part of Diana Ross. Ross' daughter,Tracee was a presenter at last night's show and looked lovely. For the Best Picture, Liza Minnelli co-presented with Lady Gaga and 50 years ago she won Best Actress against Diana Ross[[Liza thought Ross was going to win). Liza did not look well and was confined to a wheelchair. It made me think of our Supremes and I understand why Cindy's family has guarded her from the public with whatever illness she has. How lucky we are that Diana Ross and Scherrie Payne[[along with Susaye) are still vibrantly out there performing for us to see. I also thought of our beloved Mary Wilson, how much she is missed yet the silver lining is that she continued vibrantly even through the pandemic and did not pass away with us looking at her in public with any visible health issues. But we did have those Supreme connections last night.

At least Diana slapping Berry Gordy on the set of Mahogany was limited to film crew, and not in front of a global tv audience. Not that it makes it ok.
    Mr Smith will never be seen in quite the same way again.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    We had some Supreme connections at last night's Oscars. Arianna Debose, who won Best Supporting Actress for West Side Story, was in the Broadway version of Motown the Musical playing our beloved Mary Wilson and understudy to the part of Diana Ross. Ross' daughter,Tracee was a presenter at last night's show and looked lovely. For the Best Picture, Liza Minnelli co-presented with Lady Gaga and 50 years ago she won Best Actress against Diana Ross[[Liza thought Ross was going to win). Liza did not look well and was confined to a wheelchair. It made me think of our Supremes and I understand why Cindy's family has guarded her from the public with whatever illness she has. How lucky we are that Diana Ross and Scherrie Payne[[along with Susaye) are still vibrantly out there performing for us to see. I also thought of our beloved Mary Wilson, how much she is missed yet the silver lining is that she continued vibrantly even through the pandemic and did not pass away with us looking at her in public with any visible health issues. But we did have those Supreme connections last night.
    Diana herself was also visible in the poster for The Wiz​ during Wanda Sykes’ Hollywood museum tour.

It shows that one man with a vision, gathering talented people around him, made an everlasting impact on social culture. I deeply respect and admire that.

Here is my question.........When we will hear Chris Rock's apology for making such a crude comment in the first place? Insult comedians are of course a style all their own and sometimes it works, but there are lines to be drawn and he started the entire incident and therefore could learn from it.

Where does one draw the line, dying children jokes. I wasn’t really a fan when Ricky Gervais hosted the Golden Globes, although i did have the occasional chuckle. I think it’s all gotten a little to personal and spiteful. Its always fun when a celeb is put on the spot, but there has to be limits. Having said that, slapping someone in the face is never an acceptable course of action. Will Smith might have gained so much more public sympathy had he dealt with his anger in a more civilised way.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-30-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Here is my question.........When we will hear Chris Rock's apology for making such a crude comment in the first place? Insult comedians are of course a style all their own and sometimes it works, but there are lines to be drawn and he started the entire incident and therefore could learn from it.
    Apologize for a tame joke? Was it tasteless? Sure. Jada Pinkett Smith just said a few weeks ago she doesn't care about what people think of her hair. I'm sure he's learned from it but that doesn't mean he has to apologize for it. If that's the case, every comedian will be apologizing for every joke someone found offensive. Ultimately, it's freedom of speech.

Go watch a Comedy Central Roast or old clips of Don Rickles or Joan Rivers making jokes about the Holocaust. Pete Davidson makes jokes about 9/11. Turn on an episode of Family Guy where they go after everything under the sun and all of it far worse than Chris Rock's joke. He was the bigger person in the moment. After being assaulted and embarrassed in front of millions of people, he didn't instigate or continue with it. He kept his cool, gathered himself and went on to present the award. I think that speaks for itself.

Here is a lovely photo of Mary with Ariana Debose, who played Mary, in Motown the Musical. She also had a starring role in Summer, the Donna Summer Musical.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Here is a lovely photo of Mary with Ariana Debose, who played Mary, in Motown the Musical. She also had a starring role in Summer, the Donna Summer Musical.

This is a lovely pic with Mary looking as glamorous as ever. I wonder if she ever attended the oscars as a guest?.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

Carlo, Thanks for sharing that lovely photograph of Mary Wilson with the future Oscar Winner who played her in Motown the Musical, Ariana Debose. Iconic.

Hi Ollie,

Yes she did, even in 2019 Mary bumped in to Diana at an Oscars party by Elton John:

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/25/diana...-oscars-party/

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Hi Ollie,

Yes she did, even in 2019 Mary bumped in to Diana at an Oscars party by Elton John:

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/25/diana...-oscars-party/
    Thanks for posting. Despite all that had transpired between the two women over the years, there appears to have still existed a modicum of affection.

We, as fans always project our own feelings to things that have happened. Reading the article as Mary been discribes as "antagonist" feels wrong.

I have friends who I have worked with for 10 years, meeting them 20 years after, and it was fine.

And again. Reading what the girls wrote about that period, we will never know what really went on.

So, swallow that grain of salt. Appreciate what the girls brought us and how they smiled when meeting after many years. We are not mind readers and interpreters.

Mary went to the Oscar parties many times, Diana as well, hosted a few.

Love is all that matters...

I feel it needs to be stated that the PageSix article is not an accurate portrait of what happened. Diana’s spokesman is 100% correct. Diana and her kids knew Mary was there. Evan initially wanted to bring Mary over to the table to say hello but they noticed Mary was sitting with Quincy Jones and felt it was better for them as a group to go over and say hello to the both of them. Diana and Mary greeted each other with a hug, a bit of small talk, and then took a photo with Quincy. No fireworks, no friction. Everything was cordial and pleasant.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-01-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    We, as fans always project our own feelings to things that have happened. Reading the article as Mary been discribes as "antagonist" feels wrong.

I have friends who I have worked with for 10 years, meeting them 20 years after, and it was fine.

And again. Reading what the girls wrote about that period, we will never know what really went on.

So, swallow that grain of salt. Appreciate what the girls brought us and how they smiled when meeting after many years. We are not mind readers and interpreters.

Mary went to the Oscar parties many times, Diana as well, hosted a few.

Love is all that matters...
    Despite the hard work and the ups and downs, i’m sure there were a lot of fun times along the way.

Mark Bego, who loves to stir up Diana/Mary drama, was the cited source in the Page 6 article, for the POV that Diana/Mary meeting at the Oscar party was tense and dramatic. Best to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Motown supports Will Smith:

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

I don’t think it was crude at all, he wasn’t making fun of her or saying she doesn’t look good he was saying that without hair she could be in G.I. Jane and she could be and that’s not passing judgment on how she looks anything else. Now if he had said something about her being unattractive or ugly or something like that it would be completely different. I don’t see that it was any kind of insult at all. She’s not self-conscious about it she doesn’t wear a wig she doesn’t try to cover it up she talks about it openly and owns it. Will thought it was funny …….at first.