[REMOVE ADS]

opportunities for JML in 1973

on FB a fan posted an interview with Mary and a UK reporting in March 73. she talks a bit about why she thought the JW set didn't sell, about the new Stevie single, etc. the articles ends with talking about upcoming plans for the group, which included:

*the expansion of the wig line
    *a cartoon series voiced by the Supremes
    *tv specials
    *Mary mentions they'd like to get into more acting opportunities
    *Mary also mentions some ideas about fashion work, maybe something with Vogue
    *finally she mentions the possibility of doing individual projects while still a member of the group

other than the initial launch of the wig line, of course none of these happened. and some [[like the cartoon) really don't seem to be the right direction for the group.

in the gown discussion, Brad mentions that Mary was hesitant to deviate much from the sequin/glam look since that was so closely associated with the group. but they definitely needed to do something new and fresh by 73.

Dating back as early as 1971, the Supremes were still the biggest girl group; makes me wonder why they weren't thought of for the cameo in "The French Connection"? The Three Degrees performed "Everybody Gets to Go to the Moon" which was [[or was later) in the Supremes act. "TFC2" came out in 1975; still a good opportunity for a nightclub appearance.

Or how about "Car Wash" in 1976. Were the Supremes too "dated" by then, allowing the Pointer Sisters a spot?

Would there have been an opportunity in COOLEY HIGH? Or THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Dating back as early as 1971, the Supremes were still the biggest girl group; makes me wonder why they weren't thought of for the cameo in "The French Connection"? The Three Degrees performed "Everybody Gets to Go to the Moon" which was [[or was later) in the Supremes act. "TFC2" came out in 1975; still a good opportunity for a nightclub appearance.

Or how about "Car Wash" in 1976. Were the Supremes too "dated" by then, allowing the Pointer Sisters a spot?

Would there have been an opportunity in COOLEY HIGH? Or THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY?
    Re THE FRENCH CONNECTION, I think the movie happened to be filming at the Copa when the Three Degrees were appearing there. If this is true, they just lucked out.

CAR WASH might have been interesting. But by that time, the Pointers were hotter.

COOLEY HIGH? Not sure what they would have done in that film since most of the characters were high school students.

By the time TGIF was released, the group had disbanded.

Cooley High was set in the early 60s and the kids in the movie weren't going to supper clubs at the Palmer House.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Cooley High was set in the early 60s and the kids in the movie weren't going to supper clubs at the Palmer House.
    But they could have played a group of "do-wap" girls. Glynn Russell Turman isn't that much younger than Mary or Scherrie.

i always thought it would have been fun having them on Good Times. Given their work on the various tv skits, i'm not too sure about their acting skills

the Vogue comment was also interesting. doing something aligned with the fashion industry [[besides wigs lol). working with a designer or two for a fall fashion spread or partnering with the Parsons School of Design or something.

Most of these plans were nothing more than talks between the ladies. Going into 1973 the ladies were ice cold and betting everything on the new Stevie single. We know how that turned out.

The wig line didn't last long. Most African American women were now wearing funky clothes with their own hair. Mary herself stopped wearing wigs during the promotion of the line. In a very short time the wig line was dead.

Cartoon series? That might have come from the popularity of the J5 and their cartoon series, but the Supremes were nowhere near as popular. I do believe there was some talk with ABC about a comedy series while Cindy was still there, but Motown was not interested.

Motown was pretty much done with them. Jean and later Lynda were smart enough to see that. Mary continued to fight.

Interesting about the ABC discussion. I don't think at that time JMC were really candidates for an ongoing acting role. frankly i don't know that they could have really done a variety show like Tony Orlando and Dawn or the Osmonds. guest spots would have been about all i would have thought they could successfully pull off

it's interesting to speculate what MIGHT have happened had BW been a hit. maybe not a hit like Love Child or something but if it had at least gone Top 20 like Nathan or Floy and also gone high on the R&B charts. Then that could have revitalized the group, the Stevie recordings would have moved forward and then what would they have done? how could they have used this boost as an opportunity to modernize the group and all

The Tenptations had a tv show in 1969. Smokey and the Miracles in 1970. Diana in 1971. Could the Supremes have pulled one off? They could have had the Four Tops as special guests, and performed "River Deep". Flip Wilson might have been a good guest for some comedy sketches. Then of course you'd have to have the token white guest, lol. Nancy Sinatra? Carol Channing?

The Tenptations had a tv show in 1969. Smokey and the Miracles in 1970. Diana in 1971. Could the Supremes have pulled one off? They could have had the Four Tops as special guests, and performed "River Deep". Flip Wilson might have been a good guest for some comedy sketches. Then of course you'd have to have the token white guest, lol. Nancy Sinatra? Carol Channing?
    Well, not so fast about Carol…

Broadway Legend Carol Channing Dies at 97; "Proud as Can Be" of Her Black Heritage
    Last edited by sansradio; 03-23-2022 at 10:08 PM.

Yeah I think the girls could have done a special. But I was talking about a weekly sitcom or variety show. That I don’t think would have worked

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thank you for sharing that!

Ok, Ethel Merman? Lol.

Thank you for sharing that!

Ok, Ethel Merman? Lol.
    ROTFL! I was gonna suggest her as a replacement!😁

My guess is that Mary's comments were wishful gaslighting, of the 'If I mention it, it may take fire' sort. Harmless - my beloved Aretha did the same until the very end. Logically, if records were not selling and bookings were diminishing there would be little [if any) interest in a cartoon series, fashion work, comedy [!?) etc. As far as acting ... going back to the late 60's anybody [really ... anybody) who had a hit record would talk about acting. The dream? Sure. The reality? Seen any of Sting's acting?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My guess is that Mary's comments were wishful gaslighting, of the 'If I mention it, it may take fire' sort. Harmless - my beloved Aretha did the same until the very end. Logically, if records were not selling and bookings were diminishing there would be little [if any) interest in a cartoon series, fashion work, comedy [!?) etc. As far as acting ... going back to the late 60's anybody [really ... anybody) who had a hit record would talk about acting. The dream? Sure. The reality? Seen any of Sting's acting?
    lol or for that matter, the Supremes in Tarzan?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    My guess is that Mary's comments were wishful gaslighting, of the 'If I mention it, it may take fire' sort.
    I collect After Dark magazine, which was an entertainment magazine in the late 60's - early 80's. It is overfilled with references to projects that never happened, that were being worked on, that were almost completed, that were about to start filming - and were never heard from again. This runs across the entire industry and was done by everyone. Mentions like these kept people talking, and indicated that these stars were active.

1973 was a pretty bleak year for the Supremes. Jean and Lynda were on their way out; Cindy would later rejoin, with the addition of Scherrie. But it would be almost another 2 years before a new record would come out. Mary needed to do something to keep interest in the group, so why not throw out a few crumbs to see if the birds would pick them up. At this point, the group as a while should have had a complete overhaul.

1973 was a pretty bleak year for the Supremes. Jean and Lynda were on their way out; Cindy would later rejoin, with the addition of Scherrie. But it would be almost another 2 years before a new record would come out. Mary needed to do something to keep interest in the group, so why not throw out a few crumbs to see if the birds would pick them up. At this point, the group as a while should have had a complete overhaul.
    I totally agree with you. It didn't have to be a bleak year though. A revamp of the group and their act could have helped make up for the lack of a hit single. Imagine Lynda's solo being "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" instead of "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You"? More modern gowns, like the burgundy ones on Flip Wilson or the floral at Coconut Grove would have also helped, I think.

Unlike Cindy, Lynda had lead singer potential. Had she stayed, it would have made for a dynamic combination having her and Scherrie trading lead vocals. Perhaps going for a more soul/rock sound with new arrangements of old hits. Wardrobe to match of course. Mary could have handled the bulk of the ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I totally agree with you. It didn't have to be a bleak year though. A revamp of the group and their act could have helped make up for the lack of a hit single. Imagine Lynda's solo being "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" instead of "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You"? More modern gowns, like the burgundy ones on Flip Wilson or the floral at Coconut Grove would have also helped, I think.
    It made no sense that the group didn't ride the coattails of Lynda's association with Stevie. A "Stevie Medley" would have been WONDERful. Better than "Cherry Pie" or any of the dated showtunes.

completely agree. the group didn't properly leverage their work with Smokey or Stevie. in both cases they should have heavily hyped up the production partnerships. adding medleys of hits to their act. trading off leads throughout the medley

and yes, lynda was sorely underused during this time. Mary was hesitant to put too much focus on the new girl. but the whole point of a new addition to the group is that they can bring something NEW. they did manage to do a little of this with Susaye. but they definitely missed the opportunity with Lynda.

they should have ditched the TCB stuff, added more of their own content, added in the smokey or stevie medley.

one of the oddest medleys is the For Once in My Life/Cabaret/I'll take you there/thank you for letting. they sing it well but wtf? how on earth do you connect this mix of songs into a medley?!?!?!?!

also i think they should have continued to push into new fashions. i've not seen the floral gowns in person but would be interested in learning more about them. Also i think they could have done more like the FJ look. coordinated, highly fashionable but not exact matches. while needing some sort of thematic unity, they could have done more with their style

I might have asked this or mentioned this before, but I wonder if changing the title of the "Floy Joy" LP to "The Supremes Sing Smokey" might have injected a little more life into the release? They could have used the pic with them and Smokey on the cover, and maybe added "DMWB" or "My Guy" to the track list?

If Lynda stayed , Scherrie wouldn’t be considered seeing that Cindy was returning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Unlike Cindy, Lynda had lead singer potential. Had she stayed, it would have made for a dynamic combination having her and Scherrie trading lead vocals. Perhaps going for a more soul/rock sound with new arrangements of old hits. Wardrobe to match of course. Mary could have handled the bulk of the ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If Lynda stayed , Scherrie wouldn’t be considered seeing that Cindy was returning
    I was thinking more if Lynda had stayed and Cindy not returned. Scherrie And Lynda both possess soulful, power house voices that would have made any transition to a more gritty, funky sound and presentation more authentic. Cindy was soft and sweet.

I saw Lynda take over lead at the Copa when Jean got "sick". She did an outstanding job - she was new to the group and was giving her all to learning her back up routine of singing and choreography. So to step in to the lead with such ease is outstanding. I may be wrong, but it has been my impression that she also would have been a good manager of the group and probably should have taken care of the finances too. She would have had to been better than Pedro. But we fans complain too much and nothing lasts forever. I am grateful for their long run and hits and liked the entire group from beginning to end

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I saw Lynda take over lead at the Copa when Jean got "sick". She did an outstanding job - she was new to the group and was giving her all to learning her back up routine of singing and choreography. So to step in to the lead with such ease is outstanding. I may be wrong, but it has been my impression that she also would have been a good manager of the group and probably should have taken care of the finances too. She would have had to been better than Pedro. But we fans complain too much and nothing lasts forever. I am grateful for their long run and hits and liked the entire group from beginning to end
    Interesting milven. As a Supreme, i think Lynda might have accomplished a lot given half the chance. Visually and vocally she was spot on. What makes you think she might have made a good manager for the group?.

I think a MLC lineup would have worked better than a MLS. Both S and L have great voices but both are more "lead" voices. they're unique. they're not soft. there's something about them that helps them cut through orchestration. similar to jean.

I didn't find the blend of MJL to be as strong as MJC or MSC. Mary and cindy are frankly probably the 2 most compatible for backing vocals. their blend if flawless and that provides a perform platform for a lead like J or L or S.

and i also agree that Lynda wasn't given nearly enough opportunity to shine. both onstage and in whatever role with the group management/direction. i don't know about handling the money and the total management of the group. but i think her fresh ideas and wanting to evolve the Supremes were discounted and overlooked by mary

After Jean’s departure the group needed a complete shake up both vocally and image wise. The choreography for “He’s My Man” was hopelessly dated and twee. A more street wise presentation would have worked wonders for the group. Lynda with her sassy vocals and presentation would imo have been better equipped then Cindy in making such a change appear authentic.

i think the MSC lineup was excellent, vocally. their singing on Sup 75 was extremely strong, even if many of the songs themselves were not strong. i find HMM to be, at best, a novelty tune. but their vocals on it are excellent. and the Ivey Woodford songs were top notch. definitely more pop than disco. I think "Can't Stop A Girl" and "Color My World Blue" were some of the strongest 70s songs, of all the lineups. perfect pop songs with great 3-part harmonies and melodies. if they'd been released and had just decent support from motown, i believe they would have charted quite well

But you're spot on that the choreography and look of the group was way off. the Sups were getting older - mid 30s at this point. and they'd been on the pop front for over 10 years. so they already ran the high risk of just being "old" but then to add on top of that the outdate fashions and styles, just not the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think the MSC lineup was excellent, vocally. their singing on Sup 75 was extremely strong, even if many of the songs themselves were not strong. i find HMM to be, at best, a novelty tune. but their vocals on it are excellent. and the Ivey Woodford songs were top notch. definitely more pop than disco. I think "Can't Stop A Girl" and "Color My World Blue" were some of the strongest 70s songs, of all the lineups. perfect pop songs with great 3-part harmonies and melodies. if they'd been released and had just decent support from motown, i believe they would have charted quite well
    I consider the songs you mention pleasant if unspectacular. They really needed their own “Lady Marmalade” or “When Will I See You Again” to compete with the many girl groups who were overtaking them at the time. I don’t hear anything on the “Supremes” album of 75 that was capable of that.
    The singles released from “High Energy” might have charted better with a revamped presentation. Certainly something a little more slick.

but then what would one expect Mary to say when asked what's in the works for the Supremes?

"Not a damn thing honey"
    lol

I consider the songs you mention pleasant if unspectacular. They really needed their own “Lady Marmalade” or “When Will I See You Again” to compete with the many girl groups who were overtaking them at the time. I don’t hear anything on the “Supremes” album of 75 that was capable of that.
    The singles released from “High Energy” might have charted better with a revamped presentation. Certainly something a little more slick.
    well of course it's all a matter of opinion. I think the pop songs on Sup 75 are high quality while both the released and unreleased disco tracks [[HMM, This is why, where do i go from here, dance fever, mr boogie, bend a little) are rather generic disco. not particularly hideous but any disco act could have done them

Walking is IMO the first new "sound" for the group in many years. there's lyric and melody - not just thumping dance track. excellent vocals that have a real catch to them - the whooo hooo whoo HOOO! of the backing vocals is very catchy. there's a "you go girl" mentality and tone here. a sort of girl power style that fits the group nicely

after the earthiness of the earlier 70s, disco brought back glitz and glam. which was perfect for the girls. unfortunately their visual presentation often fell short with their poorly defined look.

this was still early in the mass population's exposure to disco. Saturday Night Fever wasn't released until fall 77. Walking and HI from that lp and then much of the dance tracks on MSS had a unique style, an aggressive sound. and had the group been properly managed, it's possible this could have revived things

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    well of course it's all a matter of opinion. I think the pop songs on Sup 75 are high quality while both the released and unreleased disco tracks [[HMM, This is why, where do i go from here, dance fever, mr boogie, bend a little) are rather generic disco. not particularly hideous but any disco act could have done them

Walking is IMO the first new "sound" for the group in many years. there's lyric and melody - not just thumping dance track. excellent vocals that have a real catch to them - the whooo hooo whoo HOOO! of the backing vocals is very catchy. there's a "you go girl" mentality and tone here. a sort of girl power style that fits the group nicely

after the earthiness of the earlier 70s, disco brought back glitz and glam. which was perfect for the girls. unfortunately their visual presentation often fell short with their poorly defined look.

this was still early in the mass population's exposure to disco. Saturday Night Fever wasn't released until fall 77. Walking and HI from that lp and then much of the dance tracks on MSS had a unique style, an aggressive sound. and had the group been properly managed, it's possible this could have revived things
    I agree in that “MS&S” was perhaps a year to early. Songs such as “Let Yourself Go” and “Don’t Want To Be Tied Down” would have been perfect records for when Saturday Night Fever & disco exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    but then what would one expect Mary to say when asked what's in the works for the Supremes?

"Not a damn thing honey"
    lol
    Truth told, Mary adopted this "always something in the works" for the rest of her life and career. There was always a pending record contract, a new release "coming soon", a cameo in a movie, a book deal in the works, on and on and on. I never faulted her for it, just a way to stay relevant and in the public eye.

Truth told, Mary adopted this "always something in the works" for the rest of her life and career. There was always a pending record contract, a new release "coming soon", a cameo in a movie, a book deal in the works, on and on and on. I never faulted her for it, just a way to stay relevant and in the public eye.

True. Mary liked to be 'busy'.