[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations & The Devil

What's up with The Temptations and the devil logo used in the 60s? I understand the obvious temptation/sin/devil relationship, and even though I think it looks great, it's a surprising, or possibly shocking, design choice for the times, no?

Here's the rear cover of a 1966 concert program and some late-60s letterhead:
    Name:  IMG-5682.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  91.5 KB

What's even stranger is that the design gets reused on the rear cover of a Four Tops concert program, also from 1966:
    Name:  IMG-5683.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  91.9 KB

Hmmm - I wasn't aware of this. My guess is that it just looked 'cool', in those pre-PC days. BUT ... it is troubling to see now-a-days.

It's odd they recycled the layout for the Four Tops program. It doesn't even make sense to use the devil for theirs, must have been a lazy art department, lol. Maybe somebody can ask Otis!
    Darin

Maybe both groups were considered hotter than hell.

Here's a picture of David Ruffin sitting on top of The Temptations trunk with the drawings of the devil on it [from 1995's Emperors Of Soul box set].

Name:  tempts.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  8.0 KB

Underwhelmed by their 60th anniversary album. Is it just me? I lurv the temptin' Temps and I'm trying real hard to like it but.....

It's time to stop recording

Sounds like the temps are having a[devil]of a time selling this album..hehe temptations forever!!

Ain't nobody comin' to see you, Otis!
    Apparently, they Ain't coming to see the current and ever fluctuating lineup either. But O wasn't kidding when he said, Temptations Forever!!

The link to the "Devil" is "Temptation" Big Thanks for the Youtube Trunk never seen it before. Like Nick questioned its a strange one for the Four Tops? more likely as its the same Icon they would have been pre-printed beforehand, no doubt utilised the printed stock to save cost.

Heres a few more from Motown, thankfully no picture sleeves other than J.B. and he has a nice Photo of himself with Mrs Jones. Oh can't see any horns !!

Adorables "Devil In His Eyes" [Golden World]
    Carolyn Crawford "Devil In His Heart"
    Jerry Butler "The Devil In Mrs Jones"
    Mike & The Modifiers "Devil Love"
    Shorty Long "Devil With The Blue Dress On"
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 04-03-2022 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Maybe both groups were considered hotter than hell.
    Hah! I like that!

Devil's in the details. Must be doing something right. Been recording for 60 years, despite seemingly lukewarm sales.