[REMOVE ADS]

Studio Backup Singers for the Jackson Five?

I don't believe I have ever read whether or not the Jackson Five, during their heyday at Motown, used studio background singers in their recordings. Some of their work seems to feature, imo, very polished background vocals scored with intricate harmonic structure and doesn't sound like the brothers at all.

Also, surely, I'm not the only one to notice that their background vocals on the Motown 25 special were pre-recorded and even then, sound like the vocals may have been dubbed in by other background singers.

Some of their work at Motown was pretty sophisticated containing complicated vocal arrangements [[Looking Through the Window, I'll Be There, Maybe Tomorrow).

This might end up like a Supremes thread.

"I can hear Jackie and Marlon on this track but they should have been louder in the mix."

For my part, I can definitely hear the brothers on many tracks such as LTTW, "Skywriter", "I'll Be There" and others, but I can't say that they're not supplemented on some tracks. I can say there are often more than five voices, but I can't say that they're not just multiple overdubs.

What I can normally hear is Jermaine. His voice is quite distinctive, even in a choir.

It's also the case that the J5 were all musicians and capable vocalists as well as brothers and that singing complex parts wasn't beyond them.

For what it's worth, my belief is that the vocals on LTTW and "Skywriter" are all J5.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 03-18-2022 at 12:18 PM.

I have always believed that those voices are the brothers' and I think there is decent evidence to support it. I agree about the complexity of some of the vocal backing tracks - especially something like the amazing and beautiful 'With A Child's Heart' - but I put that down to the ear and talent of Bobby Taylor and his ilk arranging them.

The backing vocals on the Live at the Forum CD are clearly more frenetic and undisciplined than on record - as you would expect - but to me, it sounds like the same voices you hear on the studio recordings. Even stronger evidence for me is seen in the Jacksons Variety TV show. If you watch the episode with JoeyBishop, for example, where they sing 'Down By The Old Mill Stream,' to me, you are hearing the same voices as on 'Looking Through the Windows' and 'Buttercup'.

I could be wrong... but I hope not.
    Last edited by stupidactingsmart; 03-18-2022 at 03:27 PM.

I was the Chief Recording Engineer for Motown and the backgrounds were the Jacksons.

thank you Russ. Looking forward to your contributions from someone who was there...thank you for all of your great work, I really appreciate your making the sound of motown.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Terrana View Post
    I was the Chief Recording Engineer for Motown and the backgrounds were the Jacksons.
    Sorted then!

Many thanks.

Also, many thanks for joining in.

One of the rare and precious things that SDF achieves on occasions is to put Motown fans in touch with some of the people who actually made Motown what it is. This happens less and less as time passes and takes people away.

Having a real Motown person explaining stuff and saying how things really were is a great and highly valued experience.

Please stay with us, Russ.

[It probably wouldn't hurt [us] to tell us [again]the story behind the phasing on "Nathan Jones". "Oh please Dad, tell us that story again."]

And about your work, Russ, on Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons work for Motown, especially the still vaulted marvels.

Never doubted it was the Jackson 5 on "backing" for their records, their amazing talents are evident from the YouTube videos of their live performances.

Thanks for the info; best news today! I always love hearing good things about all the Motown artists. Be well and thanks for your contributions to the music we love.

Bobby Taylor sang background vocals along with Michael, Jermaine & Jackie on the songs that he produced.

Thank you, Russ, for your input on my query. I always have enjoyed your insights as to the going-ons in the sound room.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Thank you, Russ, for your input on my query. I always have enjoyed your insights as to the going-ons in the sound room.
    Do we have any insight into the recordings that LT Horn engineered during the 1974/1975 Brian Holland sessions that ended up on FOREVER, MICHAEL & MOVING VIOLATION?

It is clear that female background vocalists were present on some of those recordings.

Sisters Love are on Hallelujah Day...

Having access to many of the J5/MJ studio sessions, definitely the Jacksons on backgrounds. You can even hear them joking around before or after some recordings start. They were all talented