[REMOVE ADS]

Recent Photo - Supremes

There was a recent photo on Facebook of Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne and Joyce Vincent with Tony Turner - it said they hadn't seen him since 2013. It was a lunch date.

I can't copy the photo from there but Tony looks like Tony always looked.

Is this the photo? No Susaye and Lynda instead???Name:  275877881_10217146274922632_7105323599527209299_n.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  94.7 KB

Just the girls:

Name:  275873495_10217146274842630_5494390483155114061_n.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  96.2 KB

Now you see him....

Name:  275842528_10217146274882631_4388699764239312818_n.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  94.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Is this the photo? No Susaye and Lynda instead???Name:  275877881_10217146274922632_7105323599527209299_n.jpg
    What crypt did they drag him out of for this photo op? His name has been mentioned a few times recently in this forum. See what happens when you speak of evil a certain number of times? It appears.

Just the girls:

Name:  275873495_10217146274842630_5494390483155114061_n.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  96.2 KB
    Now this is much better. Beautiful ladies. Beautiful photograph.

Now you see him....

Name:  275842528_10217146274882631_4388699764239312818_n.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  94.6 KB
    I wish we didn't.

I'm going to have to speak to the ladies about the company they keep.

.According to a reply on Facebook, Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce are longtime friends and get together to socialize often, Susaye is still in the group. Keep in mind that Scherrie and Lynda went together to Mary Wilson's Grammy Memorial and paid to get in. So, they still do socialize-Susaye did not go to the memorial as she was said to have a prior commitment. If you have TT's book, Scherrie wrote a note that was on the cover about the book.

Tony wrote only a bare minimum about Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye in his book. The book was published during a time when "sensational tell-alls" were the rage and style. Mary's book was also on the sensational side, as was Call Her Miss Ross.

obviously none of us know the real relationship between Tony and the women, why they're still hanging out, etc. that's their business. And let's face it - all of us have friends that we like but might not like everything they've done or every decision they've made

The ladies look very happy. TT would be in the running with Marilyn for the last living person on earth that I would trust as regards anything Diana and/or Supremes. Or anything else, actually.

What I read into this is that in the past, too much was made of next to nothing - the books all emphasized minor events about Diana because without that, the sales weren’t there. Much of it is seen for what it was - an attempt to sell a book and make money. As Taraborelli said recently - CHMR isn’t the book he’s most proud of - but it did start a decent career for him.

It does seem odd to me that there were no Ross and Supremes at the tribute and that Scherrie and Lynda paid to go. On the other hand, if Diana showed up personally, it would have created way too much hoopla. Susaye had another engagement!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What crypt did they drag him out of for this photo op? His name has been mentioned a few times recently in this forum. See what happens when you speak of evil a certain number of times? It appears.
    You know guys, it might be nice if when someone posts an innocent photo of friends gathering together to not make personal attacks. I have questioned Mr. Turner's books in the past, but this is strictly a situation where he was in LA, is friends with the ladies, and invited them to dinner. So why must this be made ugly? Speak of evil? Where is that in this photo?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    ....If Diana showed up personally, it would have created way too much hoopla. Susaye had another engagement!
    Some people just attract attention whether they want to or not. Elizabeth Taylor and Diana Ross are the type of people who attract too much attention and if I remember correctly, they decided not to attend Michael Jackson's services for that reason and because they wanted to grieve in private. Diana may also remember the wrong attention that she got at Flo's service which turned out not to be flattering and it took away from the service. Whatever works. To each his own

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    You know guys, it might be nice if when someone posts an innocent photo of friends gathering together to not make personal attacks. I have questioned Mr. Turner's books in the past, but this is strictly a situation where he was in LA, is friends with the ladies, and invited them to dinner. So why must this be made ugly? Speak of evil? Where is that in this photo?

boogiedown liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

boogiedown liked this post
    I pretty much agree with the proviso that Tony dredged up so much crap and fabrication that what goes around comes around.

If you want to be photographed with Donald Trump, there’s a certain baggage that goes with it. And in a minor Motown way, the same goes for Tony Turner. It’s not like a photo with Mother Teresa or Vladimir Zelensky.

I pretty much agree with the proviso that Tony dredged up so much crap and fabrication that what goes around comes around.

If you want to be photographed with Donald Trump, there’s a certain baggage that goes with it. And in a minor Motown way, the same goes for Tony Turner. It’s not like a photo with Mother Teresa or Vladimir Zelensky.
    but i guess the point is that crap that was dredged up wasn't about you or me. it was about the group members, Berry, other motowners. Now while S and L were not really singled out in the book, they are part of the organization "The Supremes" and so were impacted as such.

so if they were able to move past or find a way to see be friends with TT, then i guess that's a signal to all of us fans. maybe it's that time heals or what's in the past...

Focusing on Tony, at least relates to the photo in this thread.....bringing TRUMP [???], who hasn't been president for two years and hasn't dated Susaye in thirty into it is - what's the word .....I'll just say borderline diagnosable .

Besides you're from Canada ....why the Trump fixation, and look who you've got in charge and taking you down the toilet ... got any photos of you with him you'd be proud to share!

ps

I would've yawned and moved on but for some reason you quoted my post in your comments.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2022 at 03:56 PM.

He’s got a really good one with a banana down his pants - a big one. Trudeau would still win an election now.

I do think Tony might be entitled to a little understanding - but not a lot - because he was a public muck-raker

I wonder why they would post a picture with someone that’s fairly controversial in Motown quarters - maybe have the lunch and skip the Facebook post.

Good old Facebook; it’s like a phone - you can’t live without it but you hate them.

I wish we didn't.

I'm going to have to speak to the ladies about the company they keep.

I have never met him, but the girls like him very much and were thrilled when he offered to take them to dinner while he was in town.

re: mentioned Trudeau photo:
    are you within 'close proximity' ?

hee haw!

Hundreds of miles away

But in one of the blackface photos, if it isn’t cropped, part of the banana is sticking out if I remember correctly - and as I said, he didn’t choose a small banana

I sure wish I had y'all running to my defense the times I've been attacked in this forum.

Tony "Tall Tales" Turner has been a running joke in this forum the whole time I've been posting here, and now all of a sudden he's someone to be respected? I have not forgotten the proposed third book where Tall Tales alleged that Berry Gordy molested him. I could never have respect for that person. I also have not forgotten the interview he did where he claimed Florence was a drug addict. If Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce are fine keeping company with this trash, that's their business. My comments were made in the spirit of keeping with the joke that is Tony Turner in this forum. If he's off limits now, too fuckin bad. Fuck him and the books he shit out.

I sure wish I had y'all running to my defense the times I've been attacked in this forum.

Tony "Tall Tales" Turner has been a running joke in this forum the whole time I've been posting here, and now all of a sudden he's someone to be respected? I have not forgotten the proposed third book where Tall Tales alleged that Berry Gordy molested him. I could never have respect for that person.
    OMG...are you serious...? I had never heard that. Unbelievable.

I never read any of his books because folks whose opinion I respected said they were mostly swill.

And let's face it. We're all known by the company we keep.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

I never read any of his books because folks whose opinion I respected said they were mostly swill.

As I recall Berry Gordy either sued or threatened to sue him and that assertion ceased.

Tony "Tall Tales" Turner has been a running joke in this forum the whole time I've been posting here, and now all of a sudden he's someone to be respected? I have not forgotten the proposed third book where Tall Tales alleged that Berry Gordy molested him. I could never have respect for that person. I also have not forgotten the interview he did where he claimed Florence was a drug addict. If Lynda, Scherrie and Joyce are fine keeping company with this trash, that's their business. My comments were made in the spirit of keeping with the joke that is Tony Turner in this forum. If he's off limits now, too fuckin bad. Fuck him and the books he shit out.
    i think it's perfectly fair game to discuss All That Glittered or the even worse Temptations book. but this thread is focusing more on S and L and their apparent ongoing friendship with him. and judging that. i think that's the line that's being crossed. if they want to dine with him and enjoy his company, so be it. that's their choice and we're done

but a thread devoting to laughing and making fun of his book - go for it!! lol

Focusing on Tony, at least relates to the photo in this thread.....bringing TRUMP [???], who hasn't been president for two years and hasn't dated Susaye in thirty into it is - what's the word .....I'll just say borderline diagnosable .

Besides you're from Canada ....why the Trump fixation, and look who you've got in charge and taking you down the toilet ... got any photos of you with him you'd be proud to share!

ps

I would've yawned and moved on but for some reason you quoted my post in your comments.
    Somebody got triggered here.

He’s got a really good one with a banana down his pants - a big one. Trudeau would still win an election now.

I do think Tony might be entitled to a little understanding - but not a lot - because he was a public muck-raker

I wonder why they would post a picture with someone that’s fairly controversial in Motown quarters - maybe have the lunch and skip the Facebook post.

Good old Facebook; it’s like a phone - you can’t live without it but you hate them.
    I think the reason is obvious: they don’t care what other people think about Tony Turner. He is their friend. They would see no reason not to post a picture enjoying lunch at Granview with their friend. They spent a fair amount of time together over the years, his controversies would never get in the way of the way they feel about each other. Don’t they look happy in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Somebody got triggered here.
    yes the trump bullshit gets tiring . Especially coming out of nowhere . Time to move on people.

hey you still keeping your N95 in a paper bag for 48 hours
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2022 at 08:09 PM.

yes the trump bullshit gets tiring . Especially coming out of nowhere . Time to move on people.

hey you still keeping your N95 in a paper bag for 48 hours
    Sorry I didn’t realize that or at least didn’t remember that Trump could be a trigger.

It makes sense that at this stage in their lives, any Supreme will do what they want

I, too, agree that the ladies are free to be friends with anyone they choose. Doesn't move the needle one bit for me. But ... TT didn't trash them in his 'books', and it's informing to remember that somewhere TT did say that the Temps were 'bigger b!tches', 'worse b!tches', or whatever, than the Supremes, and that the Three Degrees were worse than both. Yet, only anti-Diana 'memories' ever seem to surface. Hmmm. In closing: heaven help us if 'Marilyn' and Tony Turner have become the go-to's for Supremes 'information'.

Yeah, he was going for a third book, this one with the teaser that Gordy was his first sexual experience. Gordy sued and that was pretty much it for Tall Tales. I do not have the stomach for people who lie about being molested, raped or the victim of racial violence. They make it that more difficult for real victims who come forward. If for nothing else, Tall Tales is disgusting for that and that alone.

That being said, he can spin quite the tale, so I wouldn't rule out reading the two published books. As long as you read them with the understanding that you can't believe any of it, even if there is truth to even the slightest portion, you will definitely enjoy the read. Both of his books are comical and if it weren't for the slanderous nature of them both, Glittered, and Deliver, would make excellent movies.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think it's perfectly fair game to discuss All That Glittered or the even worse Temptations book. but this thread is focusing more on S and L and their apparent ongoing friendship with him. and judging that. i think that's the line that's being crossed. if they want to dine with him and enjoy his company, so be it. that's their choice and we're done

but a thread devoting to laughing and making fun of his book - go for it!! lol
    This thread was about Tony Turner, which opened the door to my love of joking about him. I did not attack any of the ladies and assumed that this forum, which has been subjected to my unfunny sense of humor for years now, would have quickly latched onto the joke. I do not know Scherrie or Lynda or Joyce personally to actually talk to them about anything, never mind their "friendship" with Tall Tales. When I posted I had no idea these would be the reactions. I just knew we'd have some good laughs.

I'll stick to the facts from now on.

bringing TRUMP [???], who hasn't been president for two years and hasn't dated Susaye in thirty into it is - what's the word .....I'll just say borderline diagnosable .

Besides you're from Canada ....why the Trump fixation, and look who you've got in charge and taking you down the toilet ...
    Way to go. Saying political comments [[especially when not your country) should not be posted in here by posting negative comments about politicians [[not from your country).

That's some gold record performance right there..

And you get a gold record for best editing

Yeah, he was going for a third book, this one with the teaser that Gordy was his first sexual experience. Gordy sued and that was pretty much it for Tall Tales. I do not have the stomach for people who lie about being molested, raped or the victim of racial violence. They make it that more difficult for real victims who come forward. If for nothing else, Tall Tales is disgusting for that and that alone.

That being said, he can spin quite the tale, so I wouldn't rule out reading the two published books. As long as you read them with the understanding that you can't believe any of it, even if there is truth to even the slightest portion, you will definitely enjoy the read. Both of his books are comical and if it weren't for the slanderous nature of them both, Glittered, and Deliver, would make excellent movies.
    You know, it's amazing though how much this special brand of "disinformation" [[to use an overused word) can do.

Back in the mid-60s, there was a very spurious biography published about Jean Harlow, the Blonde Bombshell from the 1930s, stories fed to the "writer" by her agent from 30 years prior. The lies that they wove into that biography would have qualified as slander, were not all the principals already dead and long gone. [[You can't defame the dead.) Anyway, those lies ended up feeding 2 [[both flop) films about Harlow's life, and some of the lies are still repeated today even in some supposedly legitimate outlets, such as that supposedly Harlow's mother denied her medical treatment during her dying days due to her Christian Science faith.

All this to say I absolutely understand what you're saying, but few readers would be able to distinguish the truth from the lies or be as knowledgeable and critical as you might be.

I know some of Taraborelli's [[sp?) books have been also criticized. I read "Call Her Miss Ross," and it seemed to be well documented and annotated, though obviously it took a decidedly nasty tone in several places regarding Diane. But I think he was also the one who pointed out that Mary had omitted some very favorable facts regarding Ross, such as that Ross loaned her money to buy a home. Does anyone recall this, or am I conflating someone else's book with CHMR? I think it came out after "Dream Girl," but I'm not positive.

As usual, I rely on you experts to correct me!
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-19-2022 at 12:57 PM.

You know, it's amazing though how much this special brand of "disinformation" [[to use an overused word) can do.

Back in the mid-60s, there was a very spurious biography published about Jean Harlow, the Blonde Bombshell from the 1930s, stories fed to the "writer" by her agent from 30 years prior. The lies that they wove into that biography would have qualified as slander, were not all the principals already dead and long gone. [[You can't defame the dead.) Anyway, those lies ended up feeding 2 [[both flop) films about Harlow's life, and some of the lies are still repeated today even in some supposedly legitimate outlets, such as that supposedly Harlow's mother denied her medical treatment during her dying days due to her Christian Science faith.

All this to say I absolutely understand what you're saying, but few readers would be able to distinguish the truth from the lies or be as knowledgeable and critical as you might be.

I know some of Taraborelli's [[sp?) books have been also criticized. I read "Call Her Miss Ross," and it seemed to be well documented and annotated, though obviously it took a decidedly nasty tone in several places regarding Diane. But I think he was also the one who pointed out that Mary had omitted some very favorable facts regarding Ross, such as that Ross loaned her money to buy a home. Does anyone recall this, or am I conflating someone else's book with CHMR? I think it came out after "Dream Girl," but I'm not positive.

Call Her Miss Ross came after Dreamgirl. He did mention that Mary did not include that Diana had lent her money for a house downpayment that she didn't mention in her first book. That was probably because it happened after Mary divorced her husband in the early 80's and Dreamgirl did not focus on the 70's Supremes or her marriage and solo career. Mary mentioned the loan in Supreme Faith as well as Diana agreeing to be godmother to her daughter and supporting her in her solo debut and wrote about that positively even though the undertones were that since they were no longer bandmates they weren't as close even though they still remained somewhat cordial. There are always multiple interpretations of relationships, but I don't think the books Mary wrote did more than prove their different personalities with each of their faults in certain situations highlighted and the things each admired of the other.

I think Tony's books are about the funniest GD things I ever read. I've read Glittered 15 times and it still makes me laugh. I don't care if it's exaggerated--it is FUNNY. One time I told him I didn't know why people didn't get the humor in his books, and I recall him saying something like 'But does anybody say that what I wrote wasn't TRUE?" He had a point--people couldn't point to any lies in the book, they just didn't like him talking about it. I have another friend who is actually friends with most of the former Supremes, and his problem with Tony's book was that he [[Tony) made it sound like he was at every legendary Supremes incident when he wasn't. I think that's a fair point but seriously, I don't care. His books on The Supremes and the Temptations are some of my favorite humorous books out there, right up there with Confederacy of Dunces.

I agree with those of you who want to keep ridiculous politics off this forum. Thank you in advance.

I read the Harlow book..I don't know how much was true but it was a good read..I enjoyed it the mystery of Harlow's husband's murder was fascinating

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I read the Harlow book..I don't know how much was true but it was a good read..I enjoyed it the mystery of Harlow's husband's murder was fascinating
    I know, I know… I read it too. And I believed every word until years and years later. I think I read it when I was about oh I don’t know 25 or so, I’m still gullible but I was even more gullible then!