[REMOVE ADS]

Marilyn Talks Diana Ross

I came across on YouTube 80s pop singer talking about Diana.. apologies for not being able to share the link from my phone [[ sometimes modern technology defeats me)....anyway he talks about his friendship with make up genius Way Bandy who did Diana's face for "Swept Away" album cover.. Marilyn says that it was Diana's idea for the spiky hair etc..Bandy arrived at shoot and said to Diana "Miss Ross I always work with a clean face so I need you to take off the make up you already have on'" [[ they were alone in the dressing room) to which Diana replied " I haven't any on "....Bandy could clearly see she did indeed have make up so calmy made the request again..to which Ross again told Bandy she was make up free..after a third time an exasperated Bandy reached over to Diana and ripped off the two layers of false eyelashes Ross "wasn't" wearing and started working on her... Marilyn later on in the video goes into say Bandy surprised him with two front row tickets to see Ross at Radio City and that night she wasn't at her best and there was "difficulties" but doesn't say what they were..the after show party was held at a huge naval ship docked in New York and Marilyn goes on to describe how Diana worked the room for the press and guests ... apologies again for no link but I thought I would give a synopsis
    Last edited by nomis; 03-17-2022 at 03:24 PM.

This sounds like her 1984 engagement at Radio City Music Hall. Afterwards, they had a party for her on the USS Intrepid, if I remember correctly. They showed some of it on ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.

Not surprising that she wasn't at her best as this was the engagement where she was flying back and forth daily between Detroit and NYC to be with her terminally ill mother.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This sounds like her 1984 engagement at Radio City Music Hall. Afterwards, they had a party for her on the USS Intrepid, if I remember correctly. They showed some of it on ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.

Not surprising that she wasn't at her best as this was the engagement where she was flying back and forth daily between Detroit and NYC to be with her terminally ill mother.
    Marilyn says the ship was huge guests included Lauren Bacall Warren Beatty writer Lisa Robinson and photographer Steven Miesel.. he talks of how big the ship was compared to the 300 or so guests and how nervous he was to meet his idol the only thing he mentioned about her concert was that there was " tears" and Ross was not on top form which he foolishly mentioned to someone at the after party who turned out to be a reporter who printed his comments in people magazine days later

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Marilyn says the ship was huge guests included Lauren Bacall Warren Beatty writer Lisa Robinson and photographer Steven Miesel.. he talks of how big the ship was compared to the 300 or so guests and how nervous he was to meet his idol the only thing he mentioned about her concert was that there was " tears" and Ross was not on top form which he foolishly mentioned to someone at the after party who turned out to be a reporter who printed his comments in people magazine days later
    This was the engagement that I posted earlier. The ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT clips are on YouTube but the owner wouldn't allow them to be posted on other sites. Besides Lauren, other stars who commented were Eddie Murphy, Diane Lane, and Dustin Hoffman.

'Marilyn' - the drag vulture?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I came across on YouTube 80s pop singer talking about Diana.. apologies for not being able to share the link from my phone [[ sometimes modern technology defeats me)....anyway he talks about his friendship with make up genius Way Bandy who did Diana's face for "Swept Away" album cover.. Marilyn says that it was Diana's idea for the spiky hair etc..Bandy arrived at shoot and said to Diana "Miss Ross I always work with a clean face so I need you to take off the make up you already have on'" [[ they were alone in the dressing room) to which Diana replied " I haven't any on "....Bandy could clearly see she did indeed have make up so calmy made the request again..to which Ross again told Bandy she was make up free..after a third time an exasperated Bandy reached over to Diana and ripped off the two layers of false eyelashes Ross "wasn't" wearing and started working on her... Marilyn later on in the video goes into say Bandy surprised him with two front row tickets to see Ross at Radio City and that night she wasn't at her best and there was "difficulties" but doesn't say what they were..the after show party was held at a huge naval ship docked in New York and Marilyn goes on to describe how Diana worked the room for the press and guests ... apologies again for no link but I thought I would give a synopsis
    Marilyn should know that it's possible to be wearing any number of false eyelashes and no makeup in the same way that it's possible to wear socks without shoes. Unless, of course, the entire reason for dragging up such a 'memory' is to gain a buck or two.

Poor Diana. Yet another troll jealous of her success and beauty. The line stretches almost to infinity.

My first thought when I saw this thread topic was Marilyn Monroe discussing Diana Ross. given that she died in 1962, if she had discussed Diana Ross it would have been because she really liked those early Supremes singles!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    My first thought when I saw this thread topic was Marilyn Monroe discussing Diana Ross. given that she died in 1962, if she had discussed Diana Ross it would have been because she really liked those early Supremes singles!

I thought the same thing, what a shame it isn’t true. Maybe one day one of us will see a medium who can channel Marilyn to find out what she thinks of diana ross. That would be the most important question to ask her, wouldn’t it? Oh, I forgot. Maybe also ask who killed her. Those two things.

I am assuming we're talking about Boy George's sidekick here. Marilyn worshiped Diana Ross and wanted her to manage him. He also recorded her song "I Ain't Been Licked." Boy George had zero interest in Ross, he just wasn't a fan, but by floating Boy George's name around Diana's people, DR eventually returned Marilyn's calls. She wanted to start managing acts at this point in her career [[either '85 or '86) and she said she would take him on. Then she, Boy George and Marilyn all had an awkward meeting one night, and after that DR cut off all communication with Marilyn. To this day, nobody knows why. Eventually Marilyn ran into DR at some event and asked her why she wasn't returning his calls, and asked her what about songs like Reach Out and Touch and a couple of others that were about loyalty. Diana, allegedly said, "They are just songs, Marilyn. Just songs."

Oh yeah and one more thing, Boy wasn't sure what went wrong there, but suspected it was because he'd taken a pic of Marilyn and DR together and leaked it to the press. I don't if that was why things went wrong either, but the story certainly sounds like it could be true.

Ref the Swept Away album cover pic, I have seen a photo where her hair isn’t a Mohawk; rather, it is her full mane, albeit spiked. It looks like the photograph was cut to make it into a Mohawk.

If I can find the photo to which I am referring, I will post it. Has anyone else seen it and knows what I am talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by grangertim View Post
    Ref the Swept Away album cover pic, I have seen a photo where her hair isn’t a Mohawk; rather, it is her full mane, albeit spiked. It looks like the photograph was cut to make it into a Mohawk.

If I can find the photo to which I am referring, I will post it. Has anyone else seen it and knows what I am talking about?
    Is this the one?Name:  e77683238cb2c322a8b36a37b2bd8d44.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  92.5 KB

If this IS the picture you're thinking of, I'm wondering if the album cover was doctored or is it that the hair was kind of just brushed over her shoulder behind her...

When Diana attended the 1984 MTV Awards, she wore her hair in sort of a punk style.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Is this the one?
    No, that's not it. I searched for it today but couldn't find it. I'll do some more searching tomorrow. The photo I am thinking of - and I saw it well over thirty years ago - was the cover of the Swept Away album, i.e. in the silver jumpsuit - but her hair was the full-length mane. I assume it was a Francesco Scavullo photo.

Quote Originally Posted by grangertim View Post
    No, that's not it. I searched for it today but couldn't find it. I'll do some more searching tomorrow. The photo I am thinking of - and I saw it well over thirty years ago - was the cover of the Swept Away album, i.e. in the silver jumpsuit - but her hair was the full-length mane. I assume it was a Francesco Scavullo photo.
    It was a Scavullo shoot.. Marilyn mentions that in the you tube post