[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana, 'Jeopardy!' 3/14

Did anyone notice on Monday, March 14, that in the "River" category on "Jeopardy!" when the question was something to the effect of "This singer had her first No. 1 hit single with the lyrics "no river wide enough to keep me from you" after she left The Supremes" Someone responded "Who is [Aretha] Franklin?"

Yeah I saw that. Let's face it, some of these younger folks just don't know any better.

I had a friend in her late 40s who knew nothing of Diana or the supremes I got her to watch DVDs of "Dream girls " movie then the compilation that was released of supremes tv performances..she wasn't impressed by the early supremes singles commenting that the songs sounded the same..I gave up should have shown her central park concert instead... sigh

In my experience, it isn’t just music history that the under 40’s appear to know next to nothing about. Somebody i had a conversation with last month thought Meryl Streep And Bette Midler were the same person.
    As for world history, you may as well be talking Russian. I’m guessing it’s no longer part of the curriculum. Whatever happened to the curiosity of the youth?.

Does not bring me happiness but I do remember when I couldn't tell the difference between Tony Bennett-Al Martino-Ed Ames etc. Generations change. So be it. I'm glad to have been where I was when I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Whatever happened to the curiosity of the youth?.
    It's still there. Plenty of the youth know the difference between Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin. Some others know a lot about other historical folks that aren't Diana and Aretha. It's easy to look at this new crop and figure they are all the same and they have no interests beyond the stereotypical interests of the day. But I can recall a similar attitude about my generation not long ago. And I imagine the same was said of my parents generation before me.

Ollie leave these kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It's still there. Plenty of the youth know the difference between Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin. Some others know a lot about other historical folks that aren't Diana and Aretha. It's easy to look at this new crop and figure they are all the same and they have no interests beyond the stereotypical interests of the day. But I can recall a similar attitude about my generation not long ago. And I imagine the same was said of my parents generation before me.

Ollie leave these kids alone!
    Don’t get me started darling lol.
    You can’t of course tar everyone one with the same brush, but as regards general history, i often find many of [[not all) the under 25’s pretty clueless. Perhaps it being a subject dear to my heart i notice it a lot more. It’s odd considering all the info is there at the touch of a button, so different from when I was a kid.
    It’s heartwarming to see young peeps discovering Diana’s music online though.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-16-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Don’t get me started darling lol.
    You can’t of course tar everyone one with the same brush, but as regards general history, i often find many of [[not all) the under 25’s pretty clueless. Perhaps it being a subject dear to my heart i notice it a lot more. It’s odd considering all the info is there at the touch of a button, so different from when I was a kid.
    It’s heartwarming to see young peeps discovering Diana’s music online though.
    I don’t think that this generation of under 25s are any less interested in general history than the last one. As a 21 year old history student I'd say its too general a claim to make.

And I'll fight you on that Ollie… on the beaches, on the seas and oceans, on the landing grounds… anywhere really, but most probably on line

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I don’t think that this generation of under 25s are any less interested in general history than the last one. As a 21 year old history student I'd say its too general a claim to make.

And I'll fight you on that Ollie… on the beaches, on the seas and oceans, on the landing grounds… anywhere really, but most probably on line
    I can only go on my own personal experiences Tom, and have yet to meet a person under the age of 25 who has managed to link the name Adolf Hitler with World War ll and didn’t think Diana Ross is Beyoncé’s older sister. What’s going on??.. I blame the schools and sometimes the parents.
    Great speech that by Mr Chamberlain.

Their parents obviously did not play Diana Ross music. I learned about previous generation greats from my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Their parents obviously did not play Diana Ross music. I learned about previous generation greats from my parents.
    While I imagine there are exceptions, I think because the world has changed so much and each family member has their own devices [[iPhones, iPads, computers, etc.), there isn't the tradition of being around the TV set for shared experiences. Now I will sound like an old coot, but I was born in 1957, and, as a family, we would watch "The Ed Sullivan Show," "The Hollywood Palace," etc. So we would see not only The Supremes/Diana Ross and The Supremes, but Andy Williams, Jimmy Durante, Bing Crosby, Jack Benny, etc. There weren't the options in the old days. Part of it, too, is the trait of having a curiosity about things that happened before your time. I used to go to our public library and sit in the audio-visual section and play records that were recorded before my time to acquaint myself with the musicals and singers/bands of an earlier time. My nieces and nephews don't know who a lot of singers/entertainers are. That "Jeopardy!" woman who said it was Franklin who left the Supremes, IMHO, looks like she is in her late 30s.

I nearly fell off the couch when I heard the contestant answer "Franklin". I thought: People think Aretha recorded for Motown because she was from Detroit, now they think she was in The Supremes.

In this contestant's defense she won Jeopardy that evening by being the only one to get the Final Jeopardy answer correct. Throughout the game she answered a lot of correct clues that I had no idea of the topic much less the answer. She won a second evening, as well, but lost today's game.

Diana has not had a radio hit for 40 years ….
    However, many of the younger adults know Cher ….. go figure …
    Diana is solely responsible for being somewhat forgotten and/or unknown.

My post was a generalisation, but what does seem to be lacking is the curiosity of older generations. I would imagine the bulk of under 21’s who went to see the “Dream Girls” movie were not even aware or remotely interested by the fact it was loosely based on the Supremes. That being sixteen years ago.
    The fixation today is with social media which appears to leave time for little else.

and didn’t think Diana Ross is Beyoncé’s older sister. What’s going on??.. I blame the schools and sometimes the parents.
    I know, right? We all know Aretha was Diana's older sister and Diana is Beyonce's aunt. I blame the Andantes for confusing everyone.

Fortunately, this isn't the case in the UK. Not Over You Yet was very successful in the Top 40 here and songs from her latest album have been played many times, especially on Radio 2.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I know, right? We all know Aretha was Diana's older sister and Diana is Beyonce's aunt. I blame the Andantes for confusing everyone.
    LOL. I was trying desperately not to sound like a boring old fart, but it’s difficult when discussing the generations. We really do need that Supremes movie to show the kids just what they've missed.

LOL. I was trying desperately not to sound like a boring old fart, but it’s difficult when discussing the generations. We really do need that Supremes movie to show the kids just what they've missed.
    Now I KNOW you're old... a movie? movie???? Nobody watches movies!

We need a Supremes TikTok #. [[lol!!!)

If you think a movie could be problematic, TikTok would kill any of the progress we've made in the Supreme vs Supreme fan wars truce that seems to have [[mostly) occurred since Mary's passing.

Now I KNOW you're old... a movie? movie???? Nobody watches movies!

It would need to be a very condensed retelling lol. Everybody still loves s good movie.
    ‘Disco’ is usually the word that’s gives one’s age away. Me, i’m hanging on to my 50’s by my fingertips.

If you think a movie could be problematic, TikTok would kill any of the progress we've made in the Supreme vs Supreme fan wars truce that seems to have [[mostly) occurred since Mary's passing.
    The only movie I’d watch is the The Shantel Story!

The only movie I’d watch is the The Shantel Story!
    Well seeing how I own the movie rights to that, I appreciate your future support.

Well there is also an opposite to your statement. I was at a family gathering a few year ago and a family member a girl in her 30s did not know Cher. Nobody could believe that she didn’t know Cher. We were all shocked. She however knew Diana Ross! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Well there is also an opposite to your statement. I was at a family gathering a few year ago and a family member a girl in her 30s did not know Cher. Nobody could believe that she didn’t know Cher. We were all shocked. She however knew Diana Ross! Lol
    Vgalindo, that is correct. I was deep in a CIA bunker with a bunch of under 25 recruits and not only did none of them know Cher and every one of them knew Diana Ross, but they knew the words to each and every song she's ever sung and bended a knee when her name was mentioned.

Vgalindo, that is correct. I was deep in a CIA bunker with a bunch of under 25 recruits and not only did none of them know Cher and every one of them knew Diana Ross, but they knew the words to each and every song she's ever sung and bended a knee when her name was mentioned.
    Out of curiosity, why would you be asking these recruits if they were partial to Cher or Diana Ross while in a CIA bunker?. It makes it sound like some unusual underground gay convention lol. Were Madonna, Kylie, or Pink mentioned as well......Doris Day Perhaps?.

Out of curiosity, why would you be asking these recruits if they were partial to Cher or Diana Ross while in a CIA bunker?. It makes it sound like some unusual underground gay convention lol. Were Madonna, Kylie, or Pink mentioned as well......Doris Day Perhaps?.
    What happens underground stays underground! Edit: well, mostly.
    Last edited by thanxal; 03-18-2022 at 09:56 AM.

What happens underground stays underground!
    I shall enquire no more, other then to say i’m extremely impressed with the young recruits knowing the lyrics to all those Diana Ross songs. Even a dedicated fan might not always lay claim to that one. Impressive indeed. Sounds like you all had a ball.

Sounds like you all had a ball.
    .....Or two!

thanxal, as you well know, we were both sworn to secrecy in that bunker. I therefore have no choice but to report you directly to agent RR79, as the officer in charge of the operation.

thanxal, as you well know, we were both sworn to secrecy in that bunker. I therefore have no choice but to report you directly to agent RR79, as the officer in charge of the operation.
    You were there?!? Your "disguise" must have been goooood. I'm not worried about agent RR79. I'll just say something about a better way to sequence tracks on an album and boom! gone.

Aww hell naw, don't bring me in this Tom! I wasn't there. I don't do bunkers, especially where it's a bunch of folks sitting around singing Diana songs. Diana songs are to be sung alone, in private, like Berry Gordy intended.

You were there?!? Your "disguise" must have been goooood. I'm not worried about agent RR79. I'll just say something about a better way to sequence tracks on an album and boom! gone.
    It'll take more than that to get rid of me, thank you very much.

Just before covid hit at my weekend dj residency I was working with a wonderful young drag queen who couldn't have been more than 21 years old I popped to the smoking area for a quick smoke one evening and I heard her say to a couple of patrons " you need to learn your history of the greats of the 70s..Cher ! Diana ! Bette! Barbra!" I jumped in and said "and Liza!!" And ran back to the dj booth I thought what she said was wonderful lol
    Last edited by nomis; 03-18-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Ah yes, our secret weapon.

Aww hell naw, don't bring me in this Tom! I wasn't there. I don't do bunkers, especially where it's a bunch of folks sitting around singing Diana songs. Diana songs are to be sung alone, in private, like Berry Gordy intended.
    As unbreakable as ever, RR.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Just before covid hit at my weekend dj residency I was working with a wonderful young drag queen who couldn't have been more than 21 years old I popped to the smoking area for a quick smoke one evening and I heard her say to a couple of patrons " you need to learn your history of the greats of the 70s..Cher ! Diana ! Bette! Barbra!" I jumped in and said "and Liza!!" And ran back to the dj booth I thought she said was wonderful lol
    That's great to hear. I would have added Judy and Marlene but be that as it may. Be well, Nomis, and thanks for your attendance on my LGBTQ+ community.

Well seeing how I own the movie rights to that, I appreciate your future support.
    I don't think I know who Shantel even is.

But reading this thread makes me think that - even in the absence of a proper Supremes/Motown documentary.movie, it would be easy to dream up a non-official substitute.

A movie/series about FANS of Motown/The Supremes where giddy fans of them from the 60s to today argue about them throughout their lives.

What is true/what is false - broken up by either real performances by the group or tributes [[say a song like Nathan Jones with no current clips) by imitators of today in the style of yesterday.

Actual history broken up by the story [[some could be fictional) of their fans.

I'd watch anyway lol
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 03-19-2022 at 09:43 AM.

On Tonight's episode two contestants thought Diana Ross is now 95 years old.

https://twitter.com/wallerABC7/statu...51420138754056

Ralph and I had a good laugh at that one.

Final Jeopardy answer --
    "In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material."

I couldn’t believe it! Poor Diana! Not something she’d want to be confused with Tony Bennett about! I was actually surprised two people got it wrong because Lady Gaga has been so prominent in celebrating Tony Bennett’s birthday with the special and an album and everything. Even if they were too young to really know how old Diana Ross was, I’m surprised they didn’t know who Tony Bennett was.

I too was shocked that anybody would guess Diana. Tony hit me right away as the correct answer but I guess it would not have been obvious to everyone.

The airdate of two out of three contestants guessing "Diana Ross" as the correct "Final Jeopardy!" answer was Monday, March 21. I was going to start a new thread instead of lumping it in with the time a week ago when a contestant said that "[[Aretha) Franklin" had left the Supremes.
    Here is a post I found after the March 21 program --

Name:  IMG-1427.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  91.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I had a friend in her late 40s who knew nothing of Diana or the supremes I got her to watch DVDs of "Dream girls " movie then the compilation that was released of supremes tv performances..she wasn't impressed by the early supremes singles commenting that the songs sounded the same..I gave up should have shown her central park concert instead... sigh
    I wouldn’t introduce someone to the Supremes with their earlier hits. They do sound rather dated - I mean WDOLG, BL, CSAM. I’d start with some edgier mid-60s hits, when HDH were at their songwriting peak - YKMHO, YCHL, Reflections. I am too young to remember the Supremes - I was born in 1968. My introduction to the Supremes came in 1980 when I got Diana’s Greatest Hits Vol2, which had a Supremes’ medley on it. I remember thinking how exciting those hits were.

Who won Jeopardy! tonight, March 21?
    by Matt Moore
    Jeopardy! opened up the week with another brand new episode. Here’s how everything played out on tonight’s show.

Finn Corrigan entered Monday night’s game as the returning champion with a two-day total of $39,602 — not bad for the student from Vista, California.

Tonight, he faced off against Karen Johnson, a member acquisition coordinator from Portland, Oregon, and Margaret Chipowsky, an attorney from Lawrenceville, New Jersey.

Who won Jeopardy! tonight?
    It was Margaret Chipowsky who jumped out to the early lead during the “Jeopardy!” round. She answered eight out of nine questions correctly for a total of $3,800. Finn Corrigan and Karen Johnson tied with $1,800.

Things got even more competitive during the “Double Jeopardy!” round. Johnson found herself in first after the second set of questions with $15,400. Corrigan was close behind with $11,400, followed by Chipowsky at $9,800.

However, “Final Jeopardy!” was a different story. Chipowsky was the only contestant to answer the clue correctly. A strong wager made her the new Jeopardy! champion.

What was tonight’s Final Jeopardy! question?
    Tonight’s “Final Jeopardy!” question was a tough one, stumping two out of three players. Here’s the clue in the category “Singers”:

In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material

Jeopardy
    Answer: Who is Tony Bennett?

Both Finn Corrigan and Karen Johnson guessed “Who is Diana Ross?” as their answer. Only Margaret Chipowsky correctly came up with Tony Bennett, who released the album Love for Sale with Lady Gaga in October 2021.

Who won Jeopardy! tonight, March 21, 2022?
    To recap, here’s how things ended on Jeopardy! for Monday, March 21, 2022:

1. Margaret Chipowsky: $18,800
    2. Karen Johnson: $7,999
    3. Finn Corrigan: $0

https://lastnighton.com/2022/03/21/w...ight-march-21/

I could see this mistake more easily as a regular Jeopardy question where they are just blurting out the answer quickly. But in the case of the final jeopardy question they have time to think about what their answer is. The problem is with the final Jeopardy question you have to come up with an answer, you can’t pass, and I suspect that they didn’t really think Diana Ross was 95 but they needed to come up with an answer and they were aware that she had come out with a new album so that’s who they put down.

I would’ve put, who is ABBA ?

Hee haw
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-22-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Carson Daly just talked about this on THE TODAY SHOW. Maybe it might bring about some renewed interest in THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Carson Daly just talked about this on THE TODAY SHOW. Maybe it might bring about some renewed interest in THANK YOU.
    I'll hope so. At 98 Diana would love a new hit. I should only look so good at 65.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'll hope so. At 98 Diana would love a new hit. I should only look so good at 65.
    The story this morning talked about the outrage amongst some fans and mentioned that the contestants both Tweeted apologies, saying that they knew Diana wasn't 95 years old but were stumped.

I think it is a compliment that two of them actually guessed Diana was still recording. I'm sure Diana has a sense of humor. She could respond with a Tweet saying something like "Thank you for the mention guys but I'm nowhere near 95 years old! LOL. But I do have a new album, incidentally called THANK YOU. I hope you like it!"

gee, exactly as I said it