[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross: Minnesota State Fair

Diana is performing at the Minnesota State Fair, Saturday, September 3rd. Got my tickets, 10th row! Yay!

Lucky!!!!!

Big acts to be in state fairs, huh? Reminds me of the time hearing about Beyonce performed at the Michigan State Fair back in the day.

Good Luck Fans!

Anyone from SDF going to see Diana on Saturday? Looking forward seeing the Lady! ♡

Yep: Row 33. I'll bring binoculars. My friends just saw the Beach Boys and the Temptations. I'll have to look at their attractions next year.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Yep: Row 33. I'll bring binoculars. My friends just saw the Beach Boys and the Temptations. I'll have to look at their attractions next year.
    I'll be Row 10. I'll look for you! ♡

Enjoy !! I see it’s outdoors, looks like perfect weather

Take notes , full reviews expected !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-02-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Hiya all; I'm still coming down from the mountain of seeing our Miss Lady Diana. In a word, she was SUPREME!

I'll start out by saying that it was a perfect weather day for an outdoor concert. The MN State Fair typically gets upwards of 200,000 visitors per day, and yesterday was no exception! How fun was it, while milling through the Fair, to run into dlorne from the SDF! I'm so glad we were able to chat and snap a picture; next time he's in town, I'm hoping to meet up for dinner or a drink.

dlorne; please feel free to embellish my review, in case I've missed something!

Diana started in typical fashion with I'M COMING OUT. She entered with a really colorful evening gown [[new that I've seen) with a sheer and feather duster. I thought Diana has trimmed down quite a bit; she looked FANTASTIC!

She then went to MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY, followed by a Supremes medley with YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, STOP, and BABY LOVE, then a full version of LOVE CHILD.

She did several costume changes: a red dress with rhinestones, a black dress with huge cover up "jacket" [[She joked that she didn't have enough time to zip up the back of the dress during the break, so she wouldn't be taking off the jacket), a white sequined gown with matching white cover up, then a silver sequined pant suit that was to die for. All of these costumes were new to me since I'd seen her last.

Her set list included:

WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
    TAKE ME HIGHER
    THE BOSS
    UPSIDE DOWN
    LOVE HANGOVER
    EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD
    CAN'T EXPLAIN [[from LSTB: there was a little technical problem during the first part of the song, but she rebounded and was wonderful)
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH [[she had everyone turn their cell phone flashlights on; the stadium was filled with thousands of lights, like fireflies; it was breathtaking!)
    IF THE WORLD JUST DANCED [[with prerecorded vocal assistance)
    Then closed the show with MAHOGANY/MOUNTAIN

She came back out for an encore of I WILL SURVIVE.

But the audience would not leave and not let her leave! So she came back out for a SECOND encore. She joked that the band had played all the songs they knew and she was out of songs. So she did a short Q and A [[I couldn't hear the question and don't remember the answer), then decided to do THANK YOU [[similar to ITWJD with "assistance").

I thought she was in top form; looked great, sounded great. She gave a few laughs that her back was going to hurt tomorrow [[today) from all the movement and dancing [[she put her hands on her hips a few times and pretended to have pains), but was in very good spirits and gave you 100% Miss Diana Ross.

I posted this for my friends, which I think sums it up perfectly:

Diana was, in a word, Supreme; exactly how you'd ever imagine her to be. She sang all the hits, and pulled out a few lesser known treasures for the die-hards. The hair, the sequins; it was everything.

Seeing Miss Ross is an experience. You are in the presence of something just too fabulous. I overdid it with the pictures, but being so close, the temptation was too strong not to capture every moment to treasure for a lifetime. I danced, I sang, and truly enjoyed the company I shared space with.

I first saw her in 1991, and have been blessed to see her many times since. People attend her shows for a variety of reasons; mine is deep. She's played a big part in the sparkle of my life. Who knows when we'll cross paths again. Until then, thank you. ♡

Just want to add one side note: JUST as the concert ended, and we left the Fair, there was a shooting in the Midway [[where all of the rides and games are). Things became a bit hectic, and put a shadow on the evening. They actually ended up closing the Fair dowm early. I'm glad that everyone made it out safely, and Diana's sparkle of the evening was able to overshadow what could have been a very tragic incident.

I’m so glad you had such a great evening mb. When I saw Diana in July, she appeared uninspired, and clearly suffering with some sort of throat problem. I’m thrilled she has rebounded and is back on form.

this is great! .... good for her and thanks for the rundown.

How would you describe the audience and was it sold out?
    That opening act, enjoyed??
    Any Ross family sightings / mentions?
    And why do you think she needs added "help" performing her latest songs , but not on others??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-04-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Boogie:

The opening act was Naturally 7, a 7 man acapella group. Reminded me a lot of Boyz II Men with the coordinated suits and fantastic vocals. They got several standing ovations during their set. They sang for about 45 minutes.

Then SURPRISE! Rhonda showed up and did about a half hour set. She did several original songs from her CD, as well as SOMEWHERE, ROLLING IN THE DEEP, and LANDSLIDE. I thought Rhonda was good. Not really my cup of tea; I think she over annunciates and a lot of her songs come across more as dramatic readings. She's talented no doubt, but so very different in style than her mother.

The State Fair Grandstand holds between 14k and 15k [[I don't recall the exact number). It wasn't sold out, but the main floor was full, as well as the majority of the bleacher seats. I'd guess at least 10k - 11k in attendance. The audience ATE HER UP. As I mentioned, you go to Diana for the experience of seeing Miss Ross. She gave you every bit of diva that you'd expect. If she would have said JUMP, the audience in unison would have said HOW HIGH!?!

I'm not really sure why she's still using vocal assistance on her new songs. She certainly should have learned the lyrics by now. I don't know if it's a band thing, where they're not sure of the music? To be honest, I don't recall if they played during those songs. She still seemed a little unsure of herself, which is odd, because she was in rare form.

Thank you MB! Good solid turn out.

A parceled show with last segment being Diana .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-05-2022 at 11:20 AM.

REACH OUT AND TOUCH [[she had everyone turn their cell phone flashlights on; the stadium was filled with thousands of lights, like fireflies; it was breathtaking!)
    Marybrewster, This was one of the most magical sights at the Hollywood Bowl, too! For me, this was as stirring as all the pre-pandemic times all held hands and swayed to Reach Out.
    I was told the Bowl was sold out that night, so you know how breathtaking this was.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-05-2022 at 03:39 PM.

I can’t believe Diana didn’t do "Reach Out" when I saw her!!!! Would have made a great night even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Hiya all; I'm still coming down from the mountain of seeing our Miss Lady Diana. In a word, she was SUPREME!

I'll start out by saying that it was a perfect weather day for an outdoor concert. The MN State Fair typically gets upwards of 200,000 visitors per day, and yesterday was no exception! How fun was it, while milling through the Fair, to run into dlorne from the SDF! I'm so glad we were able to chat and snap a picture; next time he's in town, I'm hoping to meet up for dinner or a drink.

Diana started in typical fashion with I'M COMING OUT. She entered with a really colorful evening gown [[new that I've seen) with a sheer and feather duster. I thought Diana has trimmed down quite a bit; she looked FANTASTIC!

She then went to MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY, followed by a Supremes medley with YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE, STOP, and BABY LOVE, then a full version of LOVE CHILD.

She did several costume changes: a red dress with rhinestones, a black dress with huge cover up "jacket" [[She joked that she didn't have enough time to zip up the back of the dress during the break, so she wouldn't be taking off the jacket), a white sequined gown with matching white cover up, then a silver sequined pant suit that was to die for. All of these costumes were new to me since I'd seen her last.

Her set list included:

TAKE ME HIGHER
    THE BOSS
    UPSIDE DOWN
    LOVE HANGOVER
    EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD
    CAN'T EXPLAIN [[from LSTB: there was a little technical problem during the first part of the song, but she rebounded and was wonderful)

But the audience would not leave and not let her leave! So she came back out for a SECOND encore. She joked that the band had played all the songs they knew and she was out of songs. So she did a short Q and A [[I couldn't hear the question and don't remember the answer), then decided to do THANK YOU [[similar to ITWJD with "assistance").

I thought she was in top form; looked great, sounded great. She gave a few laughs that her back was going to hurt tomorrow [[today) from all the movement and dancing [[she put her hands on her hips a few times and pretended to have pains), but was in very good spirits and gave you 100% Miss Diana Ross.

Diana was, in a word, Supreme; exactly how you'd ever imagine her to be. She sang all the hits, and pulled out a few lesser known treasures for the die-hards. The hair, the sequins; it was everything.

Seeing Miss Ross is an experience. You are in the presence of something just too fabulous. I overdid it with the pictures, but being so close, the temptation was too strong not to capture every moment to treasure for a lifetime. I danced, I sang, and truly enjoyed the company I shared space with.

I first saw her in 1991, and have been blessed to see her many times since. People attend her shows for a variety of reasons; mine is deep. She's played a big part in the sparkle of my life. Who knows when we'll cross paths again. Until then, thank you. ♡
    Great review Mary Brewster. Dianas sure in a league of her own. May she continue to bless the world with her gifts for as long as the good lord allows.

Her set list included:

TAKE ME HIGHER
    THE BOSS
    UPSIDE DOWN
    LOVE HANGOVER
    EASE ON DOWN THE ROAD

Hey marybrewster: What a hoot to actually meet you in the fairgrounds amongst those 200,000+ people. How cool was that. You gave a great review of the evening. I too thought she looked svelt, and radiant. She really enjoyed the audience [[even though she said she couldn't see us, and they couldn't/wouldn't turn up the lights), and seemed relaxed, and just so personable. Her band and 4 back ground singers were spectacular too.
    I give Rhonda credit for being in the middle of 2 acts that got people dancing. Rhonda is more jazz oriented, lyric oriented, and I think that is difficult in an open stadium setting. I enjoyed her though.

My husband and I are looking forward to her show in NYC next week [[His first time, my 10th). How long was the show and when did it start from the time of the time on the ticket? Trying to figure out dinner reservations here.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    My husband and I are looking forward to her show in NYC next week [[His first time, my 10th). How long was the show and when did it start from the time of the time on the ticket? Trying to figure out dinner reservations here.
    The ticket said 7pm and her opening act came out right at 7. She has her daughter Rhonda opening as well and her set is about 20-30 minutes. But DR's engagement was advertised as "with Naturally 7". DR's shows always start on time. I've only been to one where she was late, and I've been to lots and lots.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Hey marybrewster: What a hoot to actually meet you in the fairgrounds amongst those 200,000+ people. How cool was that. You gave a great review of the evening. I too thought she looked svelt, and radiant. She really enjoyed the audience [[even though she said she couldn't see us, and they couldn't/wouldn't turn up the lights), and seemed relaxed, and just so personable. Her band and 4 back ground singers were spectacular too.
    I give Rhonda credit for being in the middle of 2 acts that got people dancing. Rhonda is more jazz oriented, lyric oriented, and I think that is difficult in an open stadium setting. I enjoyed her though.
    Rhonda performing music from a six year old CD as Marybrewster reports seems kind of curious. What is she like on stage ? Is she chatty? Friendly ? Humorous? Does she speak about her Mom ?

I saw Rhonda open for her mom at Hollywood Bowl a few years back.

Pros: Good singer, nice stage presence. Not on the level of her mom but she has presence and can work the audience.

Cons: Her stage patter attempted to be inspirational but came off as a bit preachy. Her original songs can be like that as well. Kind of like the songs on the Thank You album. I don't know if she has cut down a bit on the preachiness and just let her original songs do the talking for her.

Rhonda's music had a "theme":
    BREATHE - DETANGLE - SOAR

I thought she was fine; a very capable singer, but it's so easy to want to compare her to Diana. Rhonda's set was definitely "inspirational". Very "life coach-ish". I'm not sure how that truly resonates with an audience that's there to see her Mother.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    Our tickets were for 7pm. Naturally 7 came out right about on time. They played for about 45 minutes. Rhonda followed and played about 30 minutes. I had heard Diana's set would start at 8:15pm. I took pictures, and my first picture [[prior to her hitting the stage) was at 8:19pm.

That sais, I'd be there, seated, no later than an hour after the start time, assuming both N7 and Rhonda are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post

Pros: Good singer, nice stage presence. Not on the level of her mom but she has presence and can work the audience.

Cons: Her stage patter attempted to be inspirational but came off as a bit preachy. Her original songs can be like that as well. Kind of like the songs on the Thank You album. I don't know if she has cut down a bit on the preachiness and just let her original songs do the talking for her.
    "Preachy" is a very good word. Maybe dlorne has a different opinion?

One thing I noticed, lol: Rhonda had on the same outfit I saw her in last time she opened for her Mom, several years ago. A black leather bustier.

Two more comments, lol:

Diana's "tour book" is the same thing she's been selling for at least the last 2 or 3 times she's been to the Twin Cities [[6 or 8 years?) It was updated a little bit to include some "Thank You" references, but it's mostly the same old pictures, the majority from sessions for TAKE ME HIGHER, EDIAND, and RTL. I love tour books and was really hoping for something new. I ended up passing.

And:

Unless I missed it, other than Diana singing the Supremes hits, I don't think she ever mentioned the group once. No pictures on the big screen; nothing. Usually she'll at least say "the Super Duper Supremes".

Attorney, legal analyst, author, radio host and all-around goddess Laura Coates introduced her POTUS show today with a rave of Diana's Minnesota Fair performance. Laura is a MN native and was there visiting family over the weekend. It was a joy to hear her enthusiasm - Laura said it was the best Diana concert she had ever attended!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Attorney, legal analyst, author, radio host and all-around goddess Laura Coates introduced her POTUS show today with a rave of Diana's Minnesota Fair performance. Laura is a MN native and was there visiting family over the weekend. It was a joy to hear her enthusiasm - Laura said it was the best Diana concert she had ever attended!
    I love it! I was attending with someone who had never seen Diana in concert before and she said that it was in her top 2 concerts EVER. I should havd asked what was #1, lol.

Diana may have had issues in the UK, but she's definitely rebounded.

Rhonda is 50 years old, if not a bit older. She's not going to have some contemporary pop star career at this point. I'm sure she's satisfied more or less with the sort of singing career she has--opening for and touring with her mother, and headlining small club gigs and the like.

At least Evan isn't opening on this tour. Same show that I saw Rhonda open a few years back at Hollywood Bowl. Evan performed as well. He wasn't very good, stood there gripping the mic stand and kept his shades on the whole performance. Voice was OK but no stage presence. Not a shock that his singing career went nowhere. So much for Nepotism.

Thanks Spreading Love!
    You didn’t attend this time ? You’ve moved or ….?

I was visiting LA when I saw her at Hollywood Bowl. I'll be attending the concert next week at Radio City Music Hall.

I was visiting LA when I saw her at Hollywood Bowl. I'll be attending the concert next week at Radio City Music Hall.
    What with her huge return to form, i’m not sure the UK tour was such a great idea, receiving many negative as well as positive reviews.
    Hope it turns out to be a great evening SL, and look forward to reading your critique. Do you have good seats?.

Sounds like it was an excellent concert. I am just happy we still have some of our greats still alive and performing well. I would like to see her again and also would like like to see the FLOs at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Sounds like it was an excellent concert. I am just happy we still have some of our greats still alive and performing well. I would like to see her again and also would like like to see the FLOs at least once.
    I've always wanted to see the FLOs as well, but they're never in my area. I wonder how much touring they actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Yes, Diana's audience as well as audiences writ large have been ecstatic over the 2022 concerts. Those who have wasted 50-60 years of their lives trying to prohibit Diana from becoming a solo star ... not so much. [#you lost. Spoiler alert, you lost) I've got a 7th row seat for Diana's return to Radio City Music Hall on Sept.13th [sold out, as always) and I hope you are able to see her again!

I've always wanted to see the FLOs as well, but they're never in my area. I wonder how much touring they actually do.
    The closest they ever came to my area was a few years ago when they were a few hours away from me in West Virginia. It seems they travel more overseas. I think the clunky billing of Scherrie & Susaye Formerly of the Supremes with Joyce Vincent doesn't help. I think the Europeans seem to know them better. I do never really see much of a tour schedule on Facebook and when I do it is usually a date somewhere in Europe. I would love to see one of their shows. I am sure I wouldn't be disappointed. I have seen Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, both of whom put on great shows. I should check out there sight to see if they are even touring. I am sure after Covid, it must be difficult for older acts like that.

Not exactly a concert, but they will be in California performing on October 1st for
    MOTOWN: CELEBRATING THE MUSIC, THE MAGIC, THE LOVE World Premiere .

The show highlights the early days of Motown Records as told by those in the Motown Family.

The show includes a Motown panel, featuring artists, writers, producers, and executives including: Brian Holland, hitmaker known for songs including "Stop! In the Name of Love"; Claudette Robinson of The Miracles; Iris Gordy, former Motown Vice President; Janie Bradford, co-writer of "Money That's What I Want"; and Miller London, pioneering record salesman.

Performing songs that have brought people together for over six decades are Thelma Houston, Brenda Holloway, Scherrie, Lynda & Susaye Former Ladies of The Supremes, and special guests.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-an...tober-20220831

Those who have wasted 50-60 years of their lives trying to prohibit Diana from becoming a solo star ... not so much. [#you lost. Spoiler alert, you lost)!
    Quite worrying really.

Yes, Diana's audience as well as audiences writ large have been ecstatic over the 2022 concerts. Those who have wasted 50-60 years of their lives trying to prohibit Diana from becoming a solo star ... not so much. [#you lost. Spoiler alert, you lost) I've got a 7th row seat for Diana's return to Radio City Music Hall on Sept.13th [sold out, as always) and I hope you are able to see her again!
    Well I'll be there at Radio City Music Hall and I'm going to do everything in my power to shut down and negate Diana's solo stardom to ensure she's erased from the history books as a legend of entertainment. We shall see who wins!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Not exactly a concert, but they will be in California performing on October 1st for
    MOTOWN: CELEBRATING THE MUSIC, THE MAGIC, THE LOVE World Premiere .

The show highlights the early days of Motown Records as told by those in the Motown Family.

The show includes a Motown panel, featuring artists, writers, producers, and executives including: Brian Holland, hitmaker known for songs including "Stop! In the Name of Love"; Claudette Robinson of The Miracles; Iris Gordy, former Motown Vice President; Janie Bradford, co-writer of "Money That's What I Want"; and Miller London, pioneering record salesman.

Performing songs that have brought people together for over six decades are Thelma Houston, Brenda Holloway, Scherrie, Lynda & Susaye Former Ladies of The Supremes, and special guests.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-an...tober-20220831
    Wow! Scherrie, Lynda, and Susaye!

Well I'll be there at Radio City Music Hall and I'm going to do everything in my power to shut down and negate Diana's solo stardom to ensure she's erased from the history books as a legend of entertainment. We shall see who wins!
    I am not really getting this. I started following The Supremes and Diana Ross separately in 1970. I think they were all amazing. I don't have to put down anyone to say someone else is amazing. Both the Supremes and Diana Ross were/are amazing. I think we need to enjoy them while they are still performing. Life is too short. Plus, I must not be "in" on this type of thought.

Wow! Scherrie, Lynda, and Susaye!
    Double WOW I posted this and didn't even realize that this is not the current line-up, but is three legitimate former Supremes. I guess Lynda came back for this one time event.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Double WOW I posted this and didn't even realize that this is not the current line-up, but is three legitimate former Supremes. I guess Lynda came back for this one time event.
    Yes! If you you click on the link, they've created a pretty cool picture of the three Ladies.

Yes! If you you click on the link, they've created a pretty cool picture of the three Ladies.

Who are they?

I'm just getting in from seeing Diana at the Boch Center Wang Theatre in Boston tonight.

I won't post a review as I'd basically be copying what was written above. But I will say that Diana sang her heart out tonight and the crowd was with her all the way. After seeing some of the recent European shows, I didn't expect to enjoy the concert as much as I did. But I can honestly say that tonight probably ranks in my Top 5 of Diana concerts I've attended in the past 20 years.

One touching moment came near the end when she was planning to sing THANK YOU. Then she asked if anyone had questions. A gentleman mentioned how inspirational her version of HOME had been for him and she said she would try to sing it. It was rather heartfelt as she started off strong but forgot one of the verses. One of her backup singers, Fred, came to her aid and helped her through. She didn't complete the song but it was a great, impromptu moment.

She also did about four songs from her latest album. For one, COUNT ON ME, she brought Rhonda on stage to sing it with her. Neither of them knew all of the words but it was very touching to see the obvious love between them.
    Last edited by reese; 09-09-2022 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm just getting in from seeing Diana at the Boch Center Wang Theatre in Boston tonight.

I won't post a review as I'd basically be copying what was written above. But I will say that Diana sang her heart out tonight and the crowd was with her all the way. After seeing some of the recent European shows, I didn't expect to enjoy the concert as much as I did. But I can honestly say that tonight probably ranks in my Top 5 of Diana concerts I've attended in the past 20 years.

One touching moment came near the end when she was planning to sing THANK YOU. Then she asked if anyone had questions. A gentleman mentioned how inspirational her version of HOME had been for him and she said she would try to sing it. It was rather heartfelt as she started off strong but forgot one of the verses. One of her backup singers, Fred, came to her aid and helped her through. She didn't complete the song but it was a great, impromptu moment.

She also did about four songs from her latest album. For one, COUNT ON ME, she brought Rhonda on stage to sing it with her. Neither of them knew all of the words but it was very touching to seethe obvious love between them.
    Sounds like you had a memorable night reese. It’s such a shame she hasn’t taken time out to learn the words to any of the songs from the new album. I would have thought ”Count On Me” would be one of the easier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Sounds like you had a memorable night reese. It’s such a shame she hasn’t taken time out to learn the words to any of the songs from the new album. I would have thought ”Count On Me” would be one of the easier ones.
    At this stage, I'm sure Diana is using a teleprompter. It is probably harder to learn and retain the words for newer material than to remember those for songs she has performed for the past 50 years.

That said, I was sitting in the first row of the orchestra pit and had a really good view. From my angle, of the new songs, she did know THANK YOU because the teleprompters were behind her when she did most of it.

At this stage, I'm sure Diana is using a teleprompter. It is probably harder to learn and retain the words for newer material than to remember those for songs she has performed for the past 50 years.

That said, I was sitting in the first row of the orchestra pit and had a really good view. From my angle, of the new songs, she did know THANK YOU because the teleprompters were behind her when she did most of it.
    Song such as “Home” lol. The Teleprompter is a great idea. Streisand always uses one.
    Would love for her perform my favourite ballad from the new album “Just In Case”.
    Glad you had a great evening. I so wish she had been in this kind of rare form when i saw her in the UK. “Upside Down” seems the only song from Glastonbury doing the rounds last time I looked. Probably just as well.

She also did about four songs from her latest album. For one, COUNT ON ME, she brought Rhonda on stage to sing it with her. Neither of them knew all of the words but it was very touching to see the obvious love between them.
    Thank you for the review and comments. I too didn’t know what to expect after some of the reviews from the UK. But we were spectacularly surprised at the Hollywood Bowl. This also ranks in my Top Five Diana Ross concerts.

I wish she had done Count On Me for us. It’s a perfect duet since Rhonda wrote the song.

Your impromptu moment was also special. Was that Fred the same person who wrote I Love You?

Happy we both had this special time with Diana Ross