[REMOVE ADS]

Mary's Grammy Museum "Tribute"; an Oversight

I've watched Mary's Grammy Museum Tribute, and I noticed a couple of glaring omissions. Regardless if these were oversights, I do believe there are a few people that should have been acknowledged:

1) You can't tell the entire Mary Wilson story without mentioning the ladies that sang beside her in the Supremes: Barbara Martin, Florence Ballard, Diana Ross, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Lawrence, Scherrie Payne, and Susaye Greene. I'd expand that to include Betty McGlown, Karen Jackson, and several other "backups" that Mary employed over the years.

2) Carl Fuerbacher. A long time friend, and the President of Mary's Fan Club for 30+ years. Carl was a lifeline to every Mary/Supremes fan pre-internet, and his newsletters are a treasure.

3) The team at Motown/Universal: Harry, George, Kevin, and especially Andy who we all know was a special friend of Mary's; at one point her assistant, and truly, more like a son than friend. I'd extend this to include folks like J. Randy, our own bradsupremes, and anyone and everyone involved in the Expanded Editions over the last [[almost) 20 years.

4) The team at Real Gone, including Joe [[and others mentioned above) that were essential in getting Mary's MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY released. It is truly a love letter to Mary, and from Mary.

5) The many, many fans; MANY of whom that have been along on the Supremes/Mary Wilson magic carpet ride from the very beginning. The fans that Mary considered to be family. The ones that showered her with gifts, and love, and adoration. You all know who you are. You've been swapping bootleg cassette tapes with each other for decades; you've been gossiping on the phone, and in letter, and in email, and in private message for years. We instantly recognize your name at the conventions, on the message boards, all across the internet. Stand up, each of you to are be applauded. You can bring as many big name celebrities as you'd like on stage, but WE were there with Mary every step of the way.

How thoughtful of you to mention all these folks even if they didn’t do so in the online tribute.

I agree. Although given how Supremes fans get along on these forums, the tribute to us should be virtual. Best not get us all on stage. It would make what happened between Diana and Mary at Motown 25 seem like a love fest!

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I agree. Although given how Supremes fans get along on these forums, the tribute to us should be virtual. Best not get us all on stage. It would make what happened between Diana and Mary at Motown 25 seem like a love fest!
    Styling wands at dawn.

As wonderful as the tribute was, of course there were some oversights. I think since her funeral was private for a few family and friends, this was healing for all of those who wanted to celebrate her life. I agree it would have been wonderful to have Andy, Harry, George and Kevin there which would have been much like the speeches from Parnell and the band. It was great to see her friends talk about her especially Brenda Russell who seemed to still be feeling this loss, much like most of us, but it was odd that Freda Payne was not included. I know Mary wrote that of all of the Supremes Scherrie was the one who would have been the best to carry on with in terms of talent and personality. Still, with an ex-Supreme in the audience not there on stage and other colleagues like the Hollands and Stevie Wonder there was an omission of the other ladies. I know Lynda was there and not sure how her faith is regarding this, I know someone told me they do not considered people who pass as dead just as "sleeping" but I am not 100% sure about that. Still, the tribute was personal and professional and all of those mentioned would have been wonderful inclusions. We don't know if Carl, Scherrie and Andy declined to speak because it was too personal for them or not. I am still glad we had something and that the CD is now out. Mary truly did touch us all.

jim I sent you a private Facebook message.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    As wonderful as the tribute was, of course there were some oversights. I think since her funeral was private for a few family and friends, this was healing for all of those who wanted to celebrate her life. I agree it would have been wonderful to have Andy, Harry, George and Kevin there which would have been much like the speeches from Parnell and the band. It was great to see her friends talk about her especially Brenda Russell who seemed to still be feeling this loss, much like most of us, but it was odd that Freda Payne was not included. I know Mary wrote that of all of the Supremes Scherrie was the one who would have been the best to carry on with in terms of talent and personality. Still, with an ex-Supreme in the audience not there on stage and other colleagues like the Hollands and Stevie Wonder there was an omission of the other ladies. I know Lynda was there and not sure how her faith is regarding this, I know someone told me they do not considered people who pass as dead just as "sleeping" but I am not 100% sure about that. Still, the tribute was personal and professional and all of those mentioned would have been wonderful inclusions. We don't know if Carl, Scherrie and Andy declined to speak because it was too personal for them or not. I am still glad we had something and that the CD is now out. Mary truly did touch us all.
    Regardless if Scherrie declined to speak, sh was sitting in the audience 50 feet from Turkessa and should have at the VERY LEAST been acknowledged. Lynda as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Regardless if Scherrie declined to speak, sh was sitting in the audience 50 feet from Turkessa and should have at the VERY LEAST been acknowledged. Lynda as well.
    Maybe they specifically asked not to be mentioned. I know a lot of people ask that in order to keep the attention on the deceased.

Add to this Randy Taraborrelli. He started the Supremes fan club and for many years was the link between the ladies and their fans. It's sad that his relationship with Mary soured over book deals, but that is business. I agree with acknowledging Carl who took over the reigns of keeping fans informed with classy newsletters for many years until the internet age came about.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Maybe they specifically asked not to be mentioned. I know a lot of people ask that in order to keep the attention on the deceased.
    I think that's a nice thought, but there was SO MUCH name dropping, it would have taken nothing to acknowledge them, especially since they were in the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Add to this Randy Taraborrelli. He started the Supremes fan club and for many years was the link between the ladies and their fans. It's sad that his relationship with Mary soured over book deals, but that is business. I agree with acknowledging Carl who took over the reigns of keeping fans informed with classy newsletters for many years until the internet age came about.
    Another name I thought of was Tom Ingressia.

I think that's a nice thought, but there was SO MUCH name dropping, it would have taken nothing to acknowledge them, especially since they were in the audience.
    Of course I agree with you. It would have been nice to hear their names since they were there.

Of course all these people could not be mentioned in the tribute. But it is nice to see so many of the names pop up here. Does anyone know the name of Mary's first moderator on her web site? He was a nice dude who died suddenly leaving us with Webby Bob, also nice, but knew very little about the Supremes. He had to ask what DRATS were

Mary was well liked and a lot of people stepped in to help her, including people here like Mary Brewster, who set up a My Space Page for her years ago, which was active til Facebook arrived, and Carlo, who stepped in to maintain Mary's site for a while. Mary had and has terrific fans who were devoted to her and after seeing the tribute, she was very well loved in the industry

jim I sent you a private Facebook message.
    Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Of course all these people could not be mentioned in the tribute. But it is nice to see so many of the names pop up here. Does anyone know the name of Mary's first moderator on her web site? He was a nice dude who died suddenly leaving us with Webby Bob, also nice, but knew very little about the Supremes. He had to ask what DRATS were

Mary was well liked and a lot of people stepped in to help her, including people here like Mary Brewster, who set up a My Space Page for her years ago, which was active til Facebook arrived, and Carlo, who stepped in to maintain Mary's site for a while. Mary had and has terrific fans who were devoted to her and after seeing the tribute, she was very well loved in the industry
    Thank you for the thoughtful mention, Milven.

I don't remember the name of Mary's first moderator, but I'm sure I could find out.

Edit: Milven...was the first moderator's name "Malcom"? I think his screen name was nDocNY.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-12-2022 at 09:42 AM.

I feel Mary's daughter did a fantastic job with this and I am glad it was done as a healing process for some. All of us know the love and respect that Carl and Tom had for Mary Wilson/the Supremes and we enjoyed the ride with them. I feel better just saying Thank You to all of them for all the years they kept us with them and enlightened to what was going on during these years. Carl and Tom are nothing less than Fantastic for their work and dedication with Mary and The Supremes and I know it was done out of love. To be honest I never heard them say a negative thing about the ladies and wouldn't they have been closer to them ? If they did I never read it or heard it. The only thing missing for me in watching this was Mary's son but I did see a picture of him and Turkessa together so I know he was there and I am sure he could have spoke if he wanted to. Sometimes it just takes a long time to heal and its only been a year.

Thank you for the mention Milven. Mary's MySpace days! That was a lot of fun. Dr. Ernesto played a big part in that as well.

Some of you recall there was a website, Vinz's Motown Forum. Several on SDF, including jim, Carlo, and brad were a part of that group. I often wonder what happened to Vinz; he seemed to have just dropped off the Earth.

Over the decades I've crossed paths with a lot of fantastic fans, thanks to Mary. Her passing truly was a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thank you for the thoughtful mention, Milven.

I don't remember the name of Mary's first moderator, but I'm sure I could find out.

Edit: Milven...was the first moderator's name "Malcom"? I think his screen name was nDocNY.
    Close enough. I loved his signature but could not remember it. I remembered saving it on my computer many years ago, but could not find it til you refreshed my memory. But on my computer, it is still a gif and each letter of the signature spins around. It doesn't seem to move when I upload it here. I copied my spinning signature from this signature

Nice memory of Mary's original message board

Name:  NdocY.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  3.7 KB

Ah yes! I remember that gif, Milven! Thanks for that blast from the past Ernesto also had that cute sun/cloud gif in his signature, with the title "Automatically Sunshine".

Mary and lynda were not invited and attended by purchasing $40 tickets. I notice that Andy and George weren’t there. I don’t know if this has to do with the Real Gone/UMG debacle, but it might. It might be the travel. I think it’s odd there were no notes read especially from Andy. I’ve heard the new CDs have Turquessa and Jay as producers. Has anyone a copy like that?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary and lynda were not invited and attended by purchasing $40 tickets. I notice that Andy and George weren’t there. I don’t know if this has to do with the Real Gone/UMG debacle, but it might. It might be the travel. I think it’s odd there were no notes read especially from Andy. I’ve heard the new CDs have Turquessa and Jay as producers. Has anyone a copy like that?
    You're correct, Scherrie, Freda, and Lynda were not invited and had to purchase tickets.

As for Mary's CD, yes there are differences in the booklet between the one released through Real Gone in January and this one from Universal the other week.

Real Gone version has Andy, George, and Joe listed first as producers, followed by Executive Producer for Real Gone Music: Gordon Anderson and then Executive Producers for Mary Wilson Enterprises, Inc. [[Turkessa, Jay and Mary).

The Universal version has Executive Producers for Mary Wilson Enterprises, Inc. listed first followed by Gordon Anderson [[but no credit for Real Gone). Then listed third are Andy, George and Joe as producers.

I should also add the Liner Notes credits for Joe, Andy, and Mark Bego along with the Annotations credit for Andy were removed from the Universal version.

Are there are others differences inside the booklet?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    You're correct, Scherrie, Freda, and Lynda were not invited and had to purchase tickets.

As for Mary's CD, yes there are differences in the booklet between the one released through Real Gone in January and this one from Universal the other week.

Real Gone version has Andy, George, and Joe listed first as producers, followed by Executive Producer for Real Gone Music: Gordon Anderson and then Executive Producers for Mary Wilson Enterprises, Inc. [[Turkessa, Jay and Mary).

The Universal version has Executive Producers for Mary Wilson Enterprises, Inc. listed first followed by Gordon Anderson [[but no credit for Real Gone). Then listed third are Andy, George and Joe as producers.

I should also add the Liner Notes credits for Joe, Andy, and Mark Bego along with the Annotations credit for Andy were removed from the Universal version.

Are there are others differences inside the booklet?
    I don’t have the Amazon book, I just had heard that there were some changes to The production credits and elsewhere, which I find remarkable since we know who did 99% of the work. Their absence at The Grammy event has not gone unnoticed.

I’m sorry Scherrie and Lynda were treated that way.