[REMOVE ADS]

So In Love - Jennifer Holliday new song 2022

This is excellent! Thank you Jack! I didn't know she has a new single out.

Great song and performance.

This is a pleasant surprise. The song was produced by Terrell Sass and David Farmer.

Sass has worked with Holliday over a number of years.

The Hollywood 360: You also worked with Jennifer Holliday…

Terrell Sass:
    I first met her as a session drummer. Her drummer couldn’t make it so I substituted for him. I told her, “Miss Holliday; I have some music that I think you would really sound good on.” She said, “okay, send it to me.” I didn’t really think she would listen to it. Two months later I got an email and that said, “I like the music and more importantly, can hear myself singing on it.” I worked on a song with David Farmer for her called, “The One You Used to Be.”

The Hollywood 360:
    How was it working with Jennifer Holliday?

Terrell Sass:
    She’s a legend, a genius. I got to experience her greatness 1st hand! I was playing drums for her during a run on Broadway that was Christmas Night thru New Year’s Eve. Hearing her powerful voice and seeing how she affects crowds…oh my goodness. She is probably one of my favorite artists I have worked with. She is something special.

The Hollywood 360: You are talking about a very important fact in the music industry today. So much of the music is already electronically produced without it being a live, pure sound. And you seemed to have been thrilled to hear the power and purity of Jennifer Holliday’s voice without any help.

Terrell Sass:
    A lot of younger artists lean on auto tune. Everything she recorded during our sessions was a keeper. Jennifer would sing an entire record straight through, and Dave and I would be impressed, then she would say, “let’s do it again” and she would do an even better take. We were blown away. She is a rare breed. I think that fact that she was a singer on Broadway and you had to sing every night made her voice strong as ever. We are working on two new songs now. She’s in NY doing an amazing job as “Shug Avery” the Color Purple on Broadway.

The Hollywood 360:
    How would you classify her music?

Terrell Sass:
    Pop, Soul, with some Gospel in it.

I will never forget we were rehearsing, getting ready to go to Broadway. She sent us an additional song that she wanted to perform. I spent all night learning it. When we go to rehearsal she said, “I’m really glad you all know it, but this is how we are really going to do it. “ When we finished, that song was so soulful and big. People at that concert were crying. Seeing that person it was priceless.

The Hollywood 360:
    You are a composer yourself. How do you compose music?

Terrell Sass:
    Since I have played every genre as a drummer and I also play piano… I know exactly what I am looking for when I’m producing a genre. My main philosophy is…”drumming comes last.” Even though that’s my favorite instrument to play. I know if I get everything else the way I hear it in my head, the drums will be the icing on the cake. I normally start with the bass and piano part to get the chord progressions down, and then write the bridge [[if there is a bridge). From there I might use some synthetic drums, just as a reference for LaMarquis Jefferson [[my main session bassist). After he lays his track down I will get the guitar parts laid. Finally I will lay the drums. From that point I will send it to a writer and hope that they are good with a key and the tempo.

The Hollywood 360:
    What writers do you choose?

Terrell Sass:
    I have a network of writers. I have someone who does my soul records. I have someone in Nashville that does my pop records. I love the Nashville style of lyricism and story telling PS. I play country music too!! Nashville is my other other home.
    https://thehollywood360.com/the-holl...-smoove-jones/

Very nice new song from Jennifer Holliday! Thanks Jack020 for sharing it.

It really is a lovely song. Jennifer sounds wonderful, I am glad she is still recording.

I met Jennifer on an Atlantis cruise where she was the main act. Part of her performance was inviting couples who were together the longest on the stage with her while she sang At Last. When she asked where we came from [[Holland) she reminded us that she received a Dutch Edison Award [[Grammy) for AIATYING.
    Years before while visiting a Florida thriftshop I found a Dreamgirls Playbill with her autograph on the front.

So In Love is a nice simple love song that does NOT need the over embellishments that the singer added. To me, they were silly and annoying. Over embellishing seems to be her style.

This is great. Really well produced and she's not over singing.

I hope there is an album coming soon

Time will tell. But a new character, Miss Teddy, just sang TELL IT TO MY HEART on THE MASKED SINGER and I could swear it is Jennifer.

Reese, I think you are bang on! Surely Jennifer....

I am behind on Masked Singer but from an earlier song, Jennifer was someone that came to mind for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I am behind on Masked Singer but from an earlier song, Jennifer was someone that came to mind for me too.
    It did turn out to be Jennifer. She was revealed a couple of weeks ago.