[REMOVE ADS]

Mary's Grammy Museum Tribute 6pm ET/3pm PAC

Just a reminder to watch Mary's celebration this evening. Starts in a few minutes.

Browse - COLLECTION:live [[grammymuseum.org)

Live blogging it...

These are sweet stories.

Eddie Holland just said Mary was the better singer for WDOLG. Oh here comes the fight... 3...2...1...

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Eddie Holland just said Mary was the better singer for WDOLG. Oh here comes the fight... 3...2...1...
    Bruh...I was cringing until he quickly added the part about "for Where Did Our Love Go". And then when he said something about how Mary would come to HDH stuff but Diana wouldn't. I wanted to text him but I don't have his number. I'm like, "Eddie, do you know that I have to participate in Soulful Detroit, where folks are waiting to pounce on every little Diana vs Mary tidbit that they can turn into WW3? Shut up!"

Janie Bradford has quickly become the Motowner I most want to spend an afternoon with. Well, second Motowner.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Bruh...I was cringing until he quickly added the part about "for Where Did Our Love Go". And then when he said something about how Mary would come to HDH stuff but Diana wouldn't. I wanted to text him but I don't have his number. I'm like, "Eddie, do you know that I have to participate in Soulful Detroit, where folks are waiting to pounce on every little Diana vs Mary tidbit that they can turn into WW3? Shut up!"
    Ha ha. I guess Eddie forgot that Diana inducted them into the RR Hall of Fame.

But it is nice that they are giving Mary such a tribute. People have been sharing such warm memories.
    Last edited by reese; 03-06-2022 at 08:04 PM.

Uh oh. Turkessa just called Claudette the "First Lady of Motown". Don't tell Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Ha ha. I guess Eddie forgot that Diana inducted them into the RR Hall of Fame.

But it is nice that they are giving Mary such a tribute. People have been sharing such warm memories.
    It really is so nice.

Uh oh. Turkessa just called Claudette the "First Lady of Motown". Don't tell Roberta.
    I'm tired of telling Roberta that Tall Tales Turner has no claim to that title. Will she ever give that fight up?

I'm tired of telling Roberta that Tall Tales Turner has no claim to that title. Will she ever give that fight up?
    u so bad!!!!

Beautifully done program. The only negative was a few of the testimonies went long and I think that's the reason the panel discussion was so short. But I enjoyed the little bit of the panel that we did get.

Mary would have loved this.

It didn't dawn on me until Duke's video, but of the classic Motown groups, we're down to one original Supreme, one original Top, one original Tempt, one original Marvelette. There's two original Miracles left and the Vandellas are still intact. How many Contours left?

I always trip out when I see these legends these days. In my mind they are always the young folks from the album covers and video performances and it's a jolt when they suddenly appear with walking aides or wobbly legs.

I'm just glad they're still here.

Beautifully done program. The only negative was a few of the testimonies went long and I think that's the reason the panel discussion was so short. But I enjoyed the little bit of the panel that we did get.

Mary would have loved this.
    I'm so glad they put this together. It was very touching to hear all the stories.

I saw that but we all know Dr Reeves is the real First Lady Of Motown Records. Claudette needs to pull her hair away from her eye. Janie Bradford was great but seemed real frail God bless her and wasnt Marla Gibbs and family just lovely. Marla looks great for 90 years young. Nice to see Rita Coolidge via video and lovely ending with Mary Wilsons final video. Turkessa did her Mom proud today. Marys beaming with pride in heaven. My Mary Wilson CD is finally coming on Tuesday. Happy Birthday Mary youll always be Supreme.

LOL. Where on Gods green earth is Miss Turners lying butt. A real character but boasted and posted about him and Flo being best friends but couldnt produce one photo of them together. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It didn't dawn on me until Duke's video, but of the classic Motown groups, we're down to one original Supreme, one original Top, one original Tempt, one original Marvelette. There's two original Miracles left and the Vandellas are still intact. How many Contours left?

I always trip out when I see these legends these days. In my mind they are always the young folks from the album covers and video performances and it's a jolt when they suddenly appear with walking aides or wobbly legs.

I'm just glad they're still here.
    Two original Marvelettes are still with us: Wyanetta Cowart and Katherine Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I saw that but we all know Dr Reeves is the real First Lady Of Motown Records. Claudette needs to pull her hair away from her eye. Janie Bradford was great but seemed real frail God bless her and wasnt Marla Gibbs and family just lovely. Marla looks great for 90 years young. Nice to see Rita Coolidge via video and lovely ending with Mary Wilsons final video. Turkessa did her Mom proud today. Marys beaming with pride in heaven. My Mary Wilson CD is finally coming on Tuesday. Happy Birthday Mary youll always be Supreme.
    We won't tell Claudette, Roberta! It was a very nice and dignified event. So nice to see so many people turned up to celebrate Mary.

Roberta you will love the Alternate mixes.

Its a real conundrum when you have a group with two lead singers. One of them eventually had to come out on top.

LOL. Where on Gods green earth is Miss Turners lying butt. A real character but boasted and posted about him and Flo being best friends but couldnt produce one photo of them together. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Wherever he is, let's hope he keeps his butt there.

Two original Marvelettes are still with us: Wyanetta Cowart and Katherine Anderson.
    I wasn't aware Ms. Cowart was still with us! Glad to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Its a real conundrum when you have a group with two lead singers. One of them eventually had to come out on top.
    Three lead singers, with one positioned to come out on top.

Another negative of the tribute was Mary's publicist. Never mind that he spoke for much too long- he's grieving, so he has to be cut some slack- but that dig he took at Diana [[and Florence, perhaps) was rude and unnecessary. Even with Mary's passing, someone feels the need to jab at Diana in order to shine light on Mary. Even Bego didn't get up there and cross that kind of line. Definitely the low point of the evening.

I'm a bit surprised that Mary's fellow Supremes weren't represented. That's not to say that none of them were there that night, I don't know, but I can't really see Scherrie in particular being there and not getting up to have words. Of course it could be that they all said "enough" when Mary first passed. But it would've been nice if one or more of them had spoken that night, as well as Diana maybe sending a note of words. Just seems kind of odd that Mary's favorite thing in the world- besides her family and friends- the Supremes, didn't have one or more representatives that night.

But again, the tribute was beautiful. My favorite portions being Janie Bradford, Stevie Wonder and the panel of Mary's friends.

And I never realized Turkessa's resemblance to Mary. It's not as strong as Flo's daughters or Diana's kids, but for the first time I noticed it. Another thing I thought about during the program was Mary's mother, Johnnie Mae. I wondered if she could've even dreamed of the impact her daughter would have on the world. Mary's story is incredible.

Another negative of the tribute was Mary's publicist. Never mind that he spoke for much too long- he's grieving, so he has to be cut some slack- but that dig he took at Diana [[and Florence, perhaps) was rude and unnecessary. Even with Mary's passing, someone feels the need to jab at Diana in order to shine light on Mary. Even Bego didn't get up there and cross that kind of line. Definitely the low point of the evening.
    Agreed. Very tacky and unnecessary, especially when Ms Powell's words were spoken to him in private and not meant to be relayed to others. Mary would not have approved of that jab at Diana.

The evening and the tributes were otherwise generally lovely, beautiful, heartfelt and touching. Turkessa looked beautiful and did a wonderful job. I started crying when Parnell and Mary's band took to the stage. God Bless Ms Janie Bradford. I especially loved seeing and hearing her speak.

I noticed that someone on social media [[I believe Mary's niece) posted some photos from the event, including a photo of Tom Jones, while his video tribute played on the screen. However, it seems that his video was cut out of the version posted on the Grammy Museum's Collection Live website?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Agreed. Very tacky and unnecessary, especially when Ms Powell's words were spoken to him in private and not meant to be relayed to others. Mary would not have approved of that jab at Diana.

The evening and the tributes were otherwise generally lovely, beautiful, heartfelt and touching. Turkessa looked beautiful and did a wonderful job. I started crying when Parnell and Mary's band took to the stage. God Bless Ms Janie Bradford. I especially loved seeing and hearing her speak.

I noticed that someone on social media [[I believe Mary's niece) posted some photos from the event, including a photo of Tom Jones, while his video tribute played on the screen. However, it seems that his video was cut out of the version posted on the Grammy Museum's Collection Live website?
    Yes that was unfortunate and unnecessary. The audience didn’t react too well to it either.

Yes that was unfortunate and unnecessary. The audience didn’t react too well to it either.
    Agreed. I guess he spoke those words as a true publicist...always trying to stir up controversy or generate a headline. It was still classless and tacky though, considering that this was a celebration of life for Mary. He's old enough to know better.

I'm a bit surprised that Mary's fellow Supremes weren't represented. That's not to say that none of them were there that night, I don't know, but I can't really see Scherrie in particular being there and not getting up to have words. Of course it could be that they all said "enough" when Mary first passed. But it would've been nice if one or more of them had spoken that night, as well as Diana maybe sending a note of words. Just seems kind of odd that Mary's favorite thing in the world- besides her family and friends- the Supremes, didn't have one or more representatives that night.

But again, the tribute was beautiful. My favorite portions being Janie Bradford, Stevie Wonder and the panel of Mary's friends.

And I never realized Turkessa's resemblance to Mary. It's not as strong as Flo's daughters or Diana's kids, but for the first time I noticed it. Another thing I thought about during the program was Mary's mother, Johnnie Mae. I wondered if she could've even dreamed of the impact her daughter would have on the world. Mary's story is incredible.
    Scherrie and Lynda and Freda Payne was at the tribute at the Grammys on Friday night. I saw a photo on facebook. Let me look for it.

Fondly,

Roberta

Three lead singers, with one positioned to come out on top.
    In all honesty, i never really considered Barbara as having lead singer potential. Betty perhaps.

I watched it and thought it was very touching. I agree that there did not need to be any negative comments about Ross as it really had nothing to do with her. It was nice to hear the note from Berry Gordy and to hear from Mary's friends and former Motowners. Scherrie and Lynda were in attendance, Susaye was unable to attend. I know Scherrie has stated repeatedly that she is still sad and cannot believe it but perhaps she was not asked to talk or felt too emotional to speak. I know Freda has been with Mary quite a bit and was surprised she didn't speak. Brenda Russell seemed to really miss her friend when she spoke. It was nice to see Bubba Knight speak, surprised that Gladys didn't have a video too. Also surprised not to see a video from Martha Reeves, as they were good friends. There were alot of political people who spoke as well. Turkessa did a fine job guiding the night. I was happy to see so many people speak so warmly of Mary. It was touching save for a few unnecessary comments from her publicist.

Nice review of the tribute to Mary at the Museum

Legend-Laden Life Celebration for Mary Wilson Ranks Among the Grammy Museum’s Very Best

urweb.com/2022/03/06/legend-laden-life-celebration-for-mary-wilson-ranks-among-the-grammy-museums-very-best-photos/

Didn't I hear at some point it would be on Youtube for other to view ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Didn't I hear at some point it would be on Youtube for other to view ?
    It's up on collectionlive.com, which is the Grammy Museum's online video archive. You just need to register for a free account and then you can watch the celebration.

It's up on collectionlive.com, which is the Grammy Museum's online video archive. You just need to register for a free account and then you can watch the celebration.
    I was able to watch just by clicking on the link in the first post of this thread.

I was able to watch just by clicking on the link in the first post of this thread.
    Perfect, thanks Reese! Now Captain James will be able to very easily tune in

Hey Jim...I was reading your comment above in regards to Martha's absence. I was also wondering the same. I just read the sad news that her brother passed away on Sunday, which would likely explain why she did not attend nor participate by providing a video.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-08-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Like everyone else I was surprised that Freda, Scherrie & Lynda didn't speak. Hated to hear that comment from Jay otherwise a very classy event. I think the speaker that moved me the most was Donzell Davis Mary's drummer, very emotional.

Perfect, thanks Reese! Now Captain James will be able to very easily tune in

Hey Jim...I was reading your comment above in regards to Martha's absence. I was also wondering the same. I just read the sad news that her brother passed away on Sunday, which would likely explain why she did not attend nor participate by providing a video.
    Thanks, Carlo. That would explain it then. I am so sorry to hear that her brother has passed away. I send my prayers and condolences.

I forgot to mention Martha Reeves. I was surprised she was MIA. I'm sorry to learn that she's going through a difficult time in her own family.

Thanks everyone I appreciate letting me I could still go back and especially Carl. Half way through I had to stop and have a drink and shed a tear. I do not mean this in a negative way or to attack anyone but why do we wait until we loose someone to celebrate them ? Mary would have loved this !!! Oh well it is what it is. Mary's daughter is definitely her smile and laughter and eyes. The resemblance I never paid that much attention until seeing her on stage. Mary and I knew each other but not as well as some of you on here. I am no sure who made me laugh more, her or Flo. Definitely gone unexpectant but GOD needed her home. I have made my own Anthology CD and included songs like U and Don't Get Mad Get Even among others. The Supremes were bad ass !!! I was there and I know. There will never be another girl group like them.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks everyone I appreciate letting me I could still go back and especially Carl. Half way through I had to stop and have a drink and shed a tear. I do not mean this in a negative way or to attack anyone but why do we wait until we loose someone to celebrate them ? Mary would have loved this !!! Oh well it is what it is. Mary's daughter is definitely her smile and laughter and eyes. The resemblance I never paid that much attention until seeing her on stage. Mary and I knew each other but not as well as some of you on here. I am no sure who made me laugh more, her or Flo. Definitely gone unexpectant but GOD needed her home. I have made my own Anthology CD and included songs like U and Don't Get Mad Get Even among others. The Supremes were bad ass !!! I was there and I know. There will never be another girl group like them.
    Beautifully said Cap. However, I have the feeling that in Mary's case, these people did give her flowers when she was around. I don't think Mary's is a case where she didn't know she was so beloved. No, I've never met her and so am only speaking from a gut feeling. Watching her tribute didn't really make me sad, although the little bit of sadness was in knowing that she would have loved the entire ceremony but is not here to see it. What makes me sad is the music portion, the release of her EE and Anthology. I guess I'll add the public comments people have made about her voice since her passing. That's the one thing in life I think she didn't always get the credit she deserved, for being vocally gifted and her contribution to great music. That part it's sad that she's not around to see.

But I do think there should be more of a focus on these kinds of tributes while people are around to see and hear it. I'd love for someone to put something together like this for Diana Ross where she'd get to hear the impact of her talent, and the impact on those who know her personally, especially considering how often a public focus on her is geared toward the negative.