[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are Two Guys Getting It On On Miracles' LOVE MACHINE?

My conclusion:
    Absolutely Yes.

But I'll let you ponder it over before I make my case.

For starters, listen throughout but especially starting @ 5:10 thru 5:50:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-05-2022 at 02:50 PM.

I mean, ain’t nobody straight in LA.

Video not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    My conclusion:
    Absolutely Yes.
    We all hear what we want to hear, and see what we want to see

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    We all hear what we want to hear, and see what we want to see
    and we all hear what there is to hear and we all see what there is to see, and we all taste what there is to taste , and smell what there…… oh enough of that

so back to the tune ,
    what is it Carlo, you “want to hear” ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-05-2022 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Response Meant To be addressed to Carlo put wrong member

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I mean, ain’t nobody straight in LA.
    Yes …. That is part of the total equation here. LOVE MACHINE is from a thematic album package that delves into homosexuality front and center in its content.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Video not available.
    bummer.

Try this one :

same drill applies 5:10 thru 5:50 ....

I’d never really paid much attention to the, uhh, groans and moans before. But to me, it sounds like about 3 guys and 1 girl getting it on… LOL

You have a very vivid imagination.

Boogiedown, you are letting your imagination get the best of you.

The album is not about homosexuality. It is not front and center. Just because they put one song on it called "Ain's Nobody Straight In L.A." does not mean that it's what the album is about. In fact, if you listen to the banter at the end of that song, it clearly talks about straight men looking for women. The grunting on "Love Machine" is just that: grunting. Why can't it be a man grunting with a woman?

Geez! Where do people come up with this stuff? next you'll be saying that the heavy breathing on "Tell me Something Good" by Rufus is also gay.

I mean, we can't know for sure that it’s NOT two men grunting. It could be.

To me, it does sound like more than one male voice grunting, but I also hear a woman. I think it’s just about unfettered intimacy, generally!!!

I mean, we can't know for sure that it’s NOT two men grunting. It could be.

To me, it does sound like more than one male voice grunting, but I also hear a woman. I think it’s just about unfettered intimacy, generally!!!
    Hi Tom! Good for you to take the time to actually LISTEN to the song before commenting here. That's all it takes to hear two distinct male voices taking turns grunting over each other, shall we say.

Can you tell exactly where on the song you also hear a female voice in ecstasy ?? I don't hear it, I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Boogiedown, you are letting your imagination get the best of you.

The album is not about homosexuality. It is not front and center. Just because they put one song on it called "Ain's Nobody Straight In L.A." does not mean that it's what the album is about. In fact, if you listen to the banter at the end of that song, it clearly talks about straight men looking for women. The grunting on "Love Machine" is just that: grunting. Why can't it be a man grunting with a woman?

Geez! Where do people come up with this stuff? next you'll be saying that the heavy breathing on "Tell me Something Good" by Rufus is also gay.

Soulster! It's good to see you back! Glad I could come up with a topic to entice you! I've enjoyed your postings here in the past.

So, yes the album has a bigger concept than just homosexuality, its about life in LA....exciting times for the Detroit Motowners. However, gayness as a topic is most certainly brought forth front and center as never before [can anyone name a song that was dedicated to gayness so directly prior to this one? OK maybe BIG BRUCE ]....right down to the title itself....ANSILA.... forthright and even remarkably casual about it. I can't think of any other album that took on this topic so 'front and center' like this one did in the history of music. [ & certainly from old school days. anyone?]
    Why can't it be 'a man with a woman grunting'? ......because, its two guys that're being heard....

If there's a female involved we wouldn't have to be reaching to infer it ....it would've [and easily could've] been made clear.

In fact, if you listen to the banter at the end of that song, it clearly talks about straight men looking for women.
    And of course this is not LOVE MACHINE you're referring to, but an entirely different song, AINT NOBODY STRAIGHT IN LA that closes out that way...
    yes the banter created there: this was the escape clause of the tune, the cop-out....they wanted to make it clear to their buying public, that they, The Miracles, weren't singing about themselves [even if perhaps some of them were].

Oh my!!
    yes another moaning record.
    However the grunting heard here is clearly in response to a female's continuous 'encouragement' shall we say ...throughout the record and following the lines :

what I got will knock your pride aside....
    what I've got to give will sure enough do you good

nope. nothing gay about it.

Hi Tom! Good for you to take the time to actually LISTEN to the song before commenting here. That's all it takes to hear two distinct male voices taking turns grunting over each other, shall we say.

Can you tell exactly where on the song you also hear a female voice in ecstasy ?? I don't hear it, I've tried.
    Hey Boogie! Listening again, I think the female groan I’m hearing may be one or two high-pitched male groans… perhaps imitating a woman. To me, it sounds like all 4 Miracles are joining in.

Soulster! It's good to see you back! Glad I could come up with a topic to entice you! I've enjoyed your postings here in the past.

So, yes the album has a bigger concept than just homosexuality, its about life in LA....exciting times for the Detroit Motowners. However, gayness as a topic is most certainly brought forth front and center as never before [can anyone name a song that was dedicated to gayness so directly prior to this one? OK maybe BIG BRUCE ]....right down to the title itself....ANSILA.... forthright and even remarkably casual about it. I can't think of any other album that took on this topic so 'front and center' like this one did in the history of music. [ & certainly from old school days. anyone?]
    Why can't it be 'a man with a woman grunting'? ......because, its two guys that're being heard....

If there's a female involved we wouldn't have to be reaching to infer it ....it would've [and easily could've] been made clear.

And of course this is not LOVE MACHINE you're referring to, but an entirely different song, AINT NOBODY STRAIGHT IN LA that closes out that way...
    yes the banter created there: this was the escape clause of the tune, the cop-out....they wanted to make it clear to their buying public, that they, The Miracles, weren't singing about themselves [even if perhaps some of them were].

Oh my!!
    yes another moaning record.
    However the grunting heard here is clearly in response to a female's continuous 'encouragement' shall we say ...throughout the record and following the lines :

what I got will knock your pride aside....
    what I've got to give will sure enough do you good

nope. nothing gay about it.
    Oh, I check in once in a while, mainly to catch up on any new releases that may interest me. I also look to see about any political stuff, but all i've found is a thread about Kyle Rittenhouse being acquitted. I'm thinking news and politics is avoided around here because of the bad blood. Shocked no one is talking about Ukraine, though.

About the album: it's excellent, and I wonder how Berry Gordy released it. I'm sure he wasn't happy about it, given some of the subject matter. Motown was still trying to push inoffensive ballads and disco records in 1976.

I don't know what "Big Bruce" is, but there have been several songs about homosexuality in the past, even if they weren't explicitly so. "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holliday, anyone?

When I hear that grunting on "Love Machine", i'm thinking multitracking. I'm thinking of sex..er...love machines, not gay machines.

And, do you have any evidence that any of those Miracles members at the time were gay? It's just a song, man! You know the stereotype about Hollywood and gays, and that stereotype includes liberals, drugs, sex, wealthy, carefree people with all the free time in the world. Of course L.A. is a huge city, the second largest in the country, but has the largest land mass, and is prone to earthquakes and tremors.

The album and song focus on just one aspect of it circa 1976. It's just a city that just happened to have been the entertainment capital at the time.

Regarding the Rufus song: It was written by Stevie Wonder for the band Rufus. It was 1974. The word "pride" meant something way different then than it does now, or at least had a different connotation.

I know this forum is populated with gays, but, c'mon!

but there have been several songs about homosexuality in the past, even if they weren't explicitly so. "Strange Fruit" by Billie Holliday, anyone?
    I've always read that song is about lynchings in the south. Lyrics below.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant South
    The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
    Scent of magnolias sweet and fresh
    Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck
    For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
    For the sun to rot, for the tree to drop
    Here is a strange and bitter crop

Soulster,

funny how things can be misread or not made properly clear by the poster in the first place in these exchanges. In the case of TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD , I wasn’t being sarcastic , I really was agreeing that there’s nothing gay about it. It’s written to be about a female who has the hots coaxing a guy, who judging from the male moans, obliges . It never occurred to me that she’s doing so because the guy has to be convinced to be attracted to her femininity.

That would be quite a stretch , …. or would it, hee hee …one that’s now kind of amusing me .

is AINT NOBODY STRAIGHT IN LA the first song to use the word “gay”
    in that context so explicitly?, no innuendo, double meaning etc.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-28-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I've always read that song is about lynchings in the south. Lyrics below.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant South
    The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
    Scent of magnolias sweet and fresh
    Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck
    For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
    For the sun to rot, for the tree to drop
    Here is a strange and bitter crop
    "Strange Fruit" is indeed about lynchings.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Strange Fruit" is indeed about lynchings.
    Yes, but people have misinterpreted the content based solely on the title. I once read a critic's comment of it in the past that did just that [[I don't really respect most music critics, anyway).

Bottom line: saying the grunting in "Love Machine" are two gay guys is a product of an overactive imagination. Aside from themes of human sexuality on the album, there are also numerous silly lines about L.A. falling into the ocean on the track "City Of Angels".

Huh - I always thought those grunts were like the "ooh yeas" - the computer making those sounds like the love machine was Hal in 2001 or something - or Agnes in the Twilight Zone, a computer with a personality?

I never equated them to people - just sound effects from a machine.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Huh - I always thought those grunts were like the "ooh yeas" - the computer making those sounds like the love machine was Hal in 2001 or something - or Agnes in the Twilight Zone, a computer with a personality?

I never equated them to people - just sound effects from a machine.
    Me too!
    although I never cared for the song much and therefore haven’t paid that much attention to it —- AND if one were only familiar with hearing it via the radio bitd as I was and never listened to the full length album version , as I didn’t …. Well guess where exactly at what point the radio single has been elected to fade out , yep…. just as the frolicking begins.
    Now I have to say I’m surprised that people aren’t hearing what I’m hearing and it’s got me questioning what’s going on. I’m just noticing all this for the first time as I present it, but I fully expected to get yawns and comments like, of course everybody knows about that, “old news” as this crowd has a tendency to do. But nary a one. I can’t be the first person ever to notice this.
    Only Tom seems to be relating to what I’m talking about and even he keeps insisting he’s hearing multiples [all the Miracles ?] while I’m hearing two gents grunting.
    so it turns out there’s a caveat to the listening experience I’ll get into soon in a post when I have more time.

In the meantime let’s consider the lyrics. Firstly, what’s missing —-there’re lots of gender neutral “baby” references but never words like “girl” “woman” “lady” and no “ she” s. The absence of these words might just be fitting to the song , but it might also be intentionally ambiguous. Whatever the reason, convenient to my argument, they aren’t there.
    Some lyric sites seem to go out of their way to put in a “she” at one point where it’s clearly a “you” being sung, as other sites dictate correctly.

As to lyrics themselves, there’s one particularly odd line that’s in there that stands out.
    I’ll see if anyone else picks up on it , while I get to work.
    Composing by phone instead of computer sucks.

A lack of gender specific nouns is interesting Boogie! I’d not considered any of these things before if I'm honest, but whatever the intention, I definitely hear more than one MALE voice grunting in the song. Whether this was for a deliberate effect [[as if they were grunting back at each other in a ‘gay’ way]], or whether it was just to layer the sound, I'm not sure.

From Wikipedia
    City of Angels is an album by the Motown soul group The Miracles, released on Motown Records' Tamla label in September 1975. The group's fourth album recorded after replacing lead singer Smokey Robinson with Billy Griffin in 1972, City of Angels is a concept album, depicting of a man from "Anytown, U.S.A." who follows his estranged girlfriend Charlotte to Los Angeles, where she has gone in hopes of becoming a star. All of the tracks on the album were written by Billy Griffin and Miracles bass singer Pete Moore. Freddie Perren and Moore served as the album's producers.
    The album's first single, "Love Machine", peaked at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 on March 6, 1976, and was a multi-million-selling Platinum single,[3] becoming the most successful single of The Miracles' career. Its success coincided with the rise of the disco craze of the late 1970s. Another song on City of Angels, "Ain't Nobody Straight in L.A.", caused controversy due to addressing the subject of homosexuality: "Ain't nobody straight in L.A./It seems that everybody is gay."

If anyone out there has the CD reissue on Universal 2010, there is a comprehensive essay by David Nathan and featured interviews with the composers Warren "Pete" Moore and Billy Griffin
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-29-2022 at 01:35 PM.

For what it's worth, I isolated those grunts the best as I could using RX7, and you can clearly hear female "ahhhs" in there. There are not two guys getting it on.

https://we.tl/t-DebfkcUSKU

Soulster, that's some impressive sound analysis. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. Very good.

I'm going to keep very quiet on this subject as I don't want to get beaten up by Bruce Willis, who you may remember broke into this song when he was appearing in an episode of "Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm going to keep very quiet on this subject as I don't want to get beaten up by Bruce Willis, who you may remember broke into this song when he was appearing in an episode of "Friends"
    I’m only on season 4 at the moment so can’t wait for that episode, heeeeee

I had a girlfriend once that loved WHAM's "Love Machine" cover, she thought it was their original song. Let's just say the relationship didn't last too long when she thought the Beatles also did "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" first and the Stones "Going To A Go-Go" first - - it was the 80s in my late teens, but still, I had to say - no way, this can never work!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    From Wikipedia
    City of Angels is an album by the Motown soul group The Miracles, released on Motown Records' Tamla label in September 1975. The group's fourth album recorded after replacing lead singer Smokey Robinson with Billy Griffin in 1972, City of Angels is a concept album, depicting of a man from "Anytown, U.S.A." who follows his estranged girlfriend Charlotte to Los Angeles, where she has gone in hopes of becoming a star. All of the tracks on the album were written by Billy Griffin and Miracles bass singer Pete Moore. Freddie Perren and Moore served as the album's producers.
    The album's first single, "Love Machine", peaked at number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 on March 6, 1976, and was a multi-million-selling Platinum single,[3] becoming the most successful single of The Miracles' career. Its success coincided with the rise of the disco craze of the late 1970s. Another song on City of Angels, "Ain't Nobody Straight in L.A.", caused controversy due to addressing the subject of homosexuality: "Ain't nobody straight in L.A./It seems that everybody is gay."

If anyone out there has the CD reissue on Universal 2010, there is a comprehensive essay by David Nathan and featured interviews with the composers Warren "Pete" Moore and Billy Griffin

Yes according to wiki [although where in the album is this relationship actually explored?] : he follows his 'estranged' [wonder what's going on between them that bought that about] girlfriend to Hollywood where upon arrival he's excited to learn 'that everybody is gay'. Meanwhile Charlotte's so lonely [according to the song POOR CHARLOTTE] that she kills herself, resulting in the man from Anytown USA being so devastated, he focuses on his newfound adventure of returning to gay bars ....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Soulster, that's some impressive sound analysis. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort. Very good.
    Yes it is.

But these grunting exchanges go on for about four minutes, I wish Soulster, you had presented all of it, instead of a limited snippet, it would offer more clarity by listening to it in its entirety.
    Listening to the part you've provided, some might hear Billy's carrying-ons as sounding a little , 'womanly' .... ??

By this time, The Miracles were a group of all male singers. I doubt they would go to the bother of bringing in a female [an Andante? Syreeta?] to moan a little and then bury it amongst multiple male groans.

By comparison, and as a likely inspiration to the concept at play here, coming off the charts as a million selling #1 soul song, just as The Miracles went into the studio that summer of 1975:

Now that's how you present a female's groaning part on a record if that's your intention.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-01-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    I had a girlfriend once that loved WHAM's "Love Machine" cover, she thought it was their original song. Let's just say the relationship didn't last too long when she thought the Beatles also did "You've Really Got A Hold On Me" first and the Stones "Going To A Go-Go" first - - it was the 80s in my late teens, but still, I had to say - no way, this can never work!
    Really? I totally understand, but I would have had fun introducing her to all the originals.

Yes it is.

But these grunting exchanges go on for about four minutes, I wish Soulster, you had presented all of it, instead of a limited snippet, it would offer more clarity by listening to it in its entirety.
    Listening to the part you've provided, some might hear Billy's carrying-ons as sounding a little , 'womanly' .... ??

By this time, The Miracles were a group of all male singers. I doubt they would go to the bother of bringing in a female [an Andante? Syreeta?] to moan a little and then bury it amongst multiple male groans.

By comparison, and as a likely inspiration to the concept at play here, coming off the charts as a million selling #1 soul song, just as The Miracles went into the studio that summer of 1975:

Now that's how you present a female's groaning part on a record if that's your intention.
    Hah! Yeah! Only to be followed six months later by Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby"!

You know, in light of that Wiki explanation, maybe you are onto something, Boogiedown. Whatever, that's what I love about the music of the 70s: it was a crazy time where anything went, or people got away with anything, with no apologies!

Hah! Yeah! Only to be followed six months later by Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby"!

You know, in light of that Wiki explanation, maybe you are onto something, Boogiedown. Whatever, that's what I love about the music of the 70s: it was a crazy time where anything went, or people got away with anything, with no apologies!
    but wait Soulster , I need more push back !....I haven't finished presenting my case yet! lol!

Now you are thinking more like me....why is this so outrageous an idea .... it's the seventies where anything goes , if it feels good do it ...."freedom of expression is really the thing" is what the Miracles declare in AINT NOBODY STRAIGHT.
    Also, how else does LOVE MACHINE fit in with this concept album? The tie in would be if this song is about the gay stuff specifically brought up in ANSILA ....

If someone were to tell me about the Major Harris record, where a women moans sexually all over it, and how this was thought appropriate for family radio ... and I didn't already know it to be so ...I would have said "You're kidding me..."
    But there it is, and in plain sight. Why is this so impossible then on LOVE MACHINE from that same time ....masked as was thought to be a clever , safer approach , but there if one pays attention... Pushing the envelope ...

This appearance on Soul Train cracks me up. Harris just stands there while there's this anonymous woman groaning overhead . Seems most uncomfortable [inappropriate].

It doesn't help that Major's persona seems like some stuffy middle aged businessman, a horny boss with his young secretary getting it on in the back room of the office perhaps? lol!

And Soulster , you've lead me right into Donna Summer which I've wanted to mention. What is already airing in Europe that same summer LOVE MACHINE was created ? LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY. It's increasingly the "in" thing right now.

How did all this explicitness on pop records ever get started ? Blame it on the French and
    Je t'aime... moi non plus from the late sixties.

There's quite a read about it in wiki. Some highlights:

France Dimanche said the "groans, sighs, and Bardot's little cries of pleasure [give] the impression you're listening to two people making love".[3] The first time Gainsbourg played it in public was in a Paris restaurant immediately after they recorded it. Birkin said that "as it began to play all you could hear were the knives and forks being put down. 'I think we have a hit record', he said."

The song culminates in orgasm sounds by Birkin: mostly because of this, it was banned from radio in Spain, Sweden, Brazil, the UK,[11] Italy,[12] and Portugal,[citation needed] banned before 11 pm in France, not played by many radio stations in the United States because it was deemed too risqué,[2] and denounced by the Vatican and the L'Osservatore Romano;[11][12] one report even claimed the Vatican excommunicated the record executive who released it in Italy.[8] Birkin says Gainsbourg called the Pope "our greatest PR man".[6]

In the UK, it was released on the Fontana label, but, after reaching number two, it was withdrawn from sale. Gainsbourg arranged a deal with Major Minor Records and on re-release it reached number one, the first banned number one single in the UK[11] [have to say ,I don't understand how that works] ,

Gainsbourg asked her to sing an octave higher than Bardot, "so you'll sound like a little boy".

Gainsbourg also asked Marianne Faithfull to record the song with him; she said: "Hah! He asked everybody"
    When groaning records were becoming the rage ...JUNGLE FEVER... PILLOW TALK ... this version was again released in the UK in late 1974 charting for nine weeks.

US radio broadcasters decided "no" to JE T'AIME. It didn't even reach the Top half of the Hot 100.

Soulster:
    Whatever, that's what I love about the music of the 70s: it was a crazy time where anything went, or people got away with anything, with no apologies!
    Exactly. ...
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-03-2022 at 06:56 PM.

but wait Soulster , I need more push back !....I haven't finished presenting my case yet! lol!

Now you are thinking more like me....why is this so outrageous an idea .... it's the seventies where anything goes , if it feels good do it ...."freedom of expression is really the thing" is what the Miracles declare in AINT NOBODY STRAIGHT.
    Also, how else does LOVE MACHINE fit in with this concept album? The tie in would be if this song is about the gay stuff specifically brought up in ANSILA ....

If someone were to tell me about the Major Harris record, where a women moans sexually all over it, and how this was thought appropriate for family radio ... and I didn't already know it to be so ...I would have said "You're kidding me..."
    But there it is, and in plain sight. Why is this so impossible then on LOVE MACHINE from that same time ....masked as was thought to be a clever , safer approach , but there if one pays attention... Pushing the envelope ...

This appearance on Soul Train cracks me up. Harris just stands there while there's this anonymous woman groaning overhead . Seems most uncomfortable [inappropriate].

It doesn't help that Major's persona seems like some stuffy middle aged businessman, a horny boss with his young secretary getting it on in the back room of the office perhaps? lol!

And Soulster , you've lead me right into Donna Summer which I've wanted to mention. What is already airing in Europe that same summer LOVE MACHINE was created ? LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY. It's increasingly the "in" thing right now.

How did all this explicitness on pop records ever get started ? Blame it on the French and

When groaning records were becoming the rage ...JUNGLE FEVER... PILLOW TALK ... this version was again released in the UK in late 1974 charting for nine weeks.

US radio broadcasters decided "no" to JE T'AIME. It didn't even reach the Top half of the Hot 100.

Exactly. ...
    "Je T'aime" was also banned from UK radio but it still topped the charts.

This suggests that the record-buying public had the last word.

I'm not quite sure what that says about record buyers on either side of the Atlantic, however......

[I just liked the melody of "Je T'aime", so I bought the instrumental version by Sounds Nice and avoided having to listen to all that faux sex.]

Nope! No more pushback!

Well, the album version had more passionate moaning. The 45 RPM edit, which is what's presented here on the Soul Train clip cut out the worst of it near the end. But, that song did indeed get played on top 40 radio during the afternoons when kids could hear it. That's how I heard it, though I was already 12 years old in the late spring of '75.

The album cover makes him look like a pimp.

Hey! It's a nice change from all the damn rapping where every other word is the n-word, that's fer sure!

People wanting to push the envelope and stick it to "the establishment".

I never heard of the Je TiAme" here in the U.S., and top 40 radio didn't play "Jungle Fever", but man, radio went crazy playing "Pillow Talk" by Sylvia! It went straight to the top 10. It was mighty embarrassing for it to come on the radio when my mom was in the room when I was 10 years old. I knew exactly what was going on. It made Marvin Gaye's #1 "Let's Get It On" seem like a Sunday school hymn, and that one was played at jr. high dances.

People wanting to push the envelope and stick it to "the establishment".
    And there I was thinking that it was done because sex sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post

I'm not quite sure what that says about record buyers on either side of the Atlantic, however......

[I just liked the melody of "Je T'aime", so I bought the instrumental version by Sounds Nice and avoided having to listen to all that faux sex.]
    So #1s on the UK charts were based on sales only with no connection to airplay?

Just because the song was banned ....it was selling regardless , and very well , #2 ... so why would Fantana pull it??

It's got a wah wah -ish sound to it ...

Nope! No more pushback! Darn

Well, the album version [of LOVE WONT LET ME WAIT] had more passionate moaning. The 45 RPM edit, which is what's presented here on the Soul Train clip cut out the worst of it near the end. Yes and even at that, Soul Train rightfully cut it off early. But, that song did indeed get played on top 40 radio during the afternoons when kids could hear it. That's how I heard it, though I was already 12 years old in the late spring of '75. Seems wrong to be exposed to that at that age.

The album cover makes him look like a pimp. Quite a contrast from his Soul Train appearance. Neither quite hit the mark I would say.

Hey! It's a nice change from all the damn rapping where every other word is the n-word, that's fer sure!

People wanting to push the envelope and stick it to "the establishment". I think that's what's going on on LOVE MACHINE .... trying to be daring but with extreme caution. It's buried, camouflaged, after all, there's a lot to lose if it backfires. The song is 6:54 long. To make it an even two-parter each side would be 3:27 in length a perfectly acceptable time length for a single.
    LOVE WON'T LET ME WAIT is 3:45 in it's reduced 45 form.

Yet , the LOVE MACHINE 45 drops out at 2:55 making it a comparatively short single for the time. It drops out exactly when all the moaning groaning action kicks in. Why go to all the trouble to create all that , the effects, the overlays, in the record only to dump it entirely and have it absent on the 45 version? We already know moaning is now the vogue. Why not let it be heard some by letting the single have a length of another thirty seconds? Was Motown or The Miracles afraid to call too much attention to their antics ?? Would it get noticed with stereo becoming the norm even in cars, what can be heard on one channel? If word got out would the song tank, would their reputation suffer?
    What is the ulterior reason to fade the 45 out just at that point?? Seems intentional to me.

I never heard of the Je TiAme" here in the U.S., and top 40 radio didn't play "Jungle Fever", Soulster, it went Top 10 on Billboard's Hot 100 but man, radio went crazy playing "Pillow Talk" by Sylvia! yep It went straight to the top 10. It was mighty embarrassing for it to come on the radio when my mom was in the room when I was 10 years old. very interesting I knew exactly what was going on. It made Marvin Gaye's #1 "Let's Get It On" seem like a Sunday school hymn, and that one was played at jr. high dances. good input !
    So Soulster you've gone from 100% stating 'that's a guy and a gal carrying on' , to now ....??

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-05-2022 at 12:41 PM.

......and to move this along a little,
    can anyone spot the line in the lyrics that stands out as a little odd??

[also note word correction at another point]

Lyrics

I'm just a love machine
    And I won't work for nobody but you [[yeah baby)
    I'm just a love machine
    A huggin', kissin' fiend
    I think it's high time you knew
    Whenever I think of you
    My mind blows a fuse [[baby)
    When I look in you eyes
    My meter starts to rise, I become so confused
    My voltage regulator cools
    When I'm sitting next to you
    Electricity starts to flow
    And my indicator starts to glow, wooh
    I-I I'm just a love machine
    And I won't work for nobody but you baby
    I'm just a love machine [[yeah baby)
    A huggin', kissin' fiend
    And I won't work for nobody but you
    A huggin', kissin' fiend
    I'm gentle as a lamb,
    I'm not that hard to program,
    There's no way that you can lose
    My chassis fits like a glove
    I've got a button for love
    That she's [incorrect the word sung is 'you'] got to use
    If you look into my files
    I am sure you can find out how
    To turn me on just set my dial
    And let me love you for a little while, wooh

And I won't work for nobody [[but you baby)
    A huggin', kissin' fiend
    I'm just a love machine
    And I won't work for nobody but you[[baby)
    A huggin', kissin' fiend
    I'm just a love machine
    I won't operate for nobody but you
    A huggin', kissin' fiend

Source: LyricFind
    Songwriters: Warren Moore / William Griffin
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-05-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Gentle as a lamb?

I become so confused?

I become so confused?

yep bingo !!

Seems wrong to be exposed to that at that age.
    You must be under 40 or something. It was a different world in 1973. How do you think such songs got to #1? No one cared! It really was a game to see what people could get away with. And, kids were a little more sophisticated back then. We knew it was naughty, and yeah, you didn't want your mom around when the song came on the radio. But, we're also talking about a time where drug stores carried Penthouse and Hustler on the magazine racks in the drug store and they were not behind a counter. And, parents back then weren't obsessed with trying to shield kids from sex. Most buys were gonna have a nudie mag under the mattress or hidden in a closet. Seven-year-olds talked about wanting to pork school-mate Suzie. And if your mom found your dirty mag while gathering the clothes and bed sheets, and told your dad, the dad just probably laughed and said our kid is growing up!

yep bingo !!
    Boogie, you have convinced me for sure now!

You must be under 40 or something. It was a different world in 1973. How do you think such songs got to #1? No one cared! It really was a game to see what people could get away with. And, kids were a little more sophisticated back then. We knew it was naughty, and yeah, you didn't want your mom around when the song came on the radio. But, we're also talking about a time where drug stores carried Penthouse and Hustler on the magazine racks in the drug store and they were not behind a counter. And, parents back then weren't obsessed with trying to shield kids from sex. Most buys were gonna have a nudie mag under the mattress or hidden in a closet. Seven-year-olds talked about wanting to pork school-mate Suzie. And if your mom found your dirty mag while gathering the clothes and bed sheets, and told your dad, the dad just probably laughed and said our kid is growing up!
    You left out Wally and the Beave. Lol!

double post sorry
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-09-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Boogie, you have convinced me for sure now!

stay tuned for the grand finale of this expose!.
    Hey Tom wouldn't it be great if Billy Griffin chose to show up and spill the beans about this song ! Why not?? What's he got to lose at this point in his life ? It's actually significant Gay history, if we've got it right. And the renewed interest in it by talking about it could garner $$ for him. He's a credited author.

shall we break it down?
    the line:

When I look in your eyes
    My meter starts to rise, I become so confused

Keep in mind this is coming from someone boasting to be "a love machine".

A straight guy about to be "a love machine" is not confused when looking into a woman's eyes his meter rises, in fact everything is going as needed.
    Now a guy [new to LA in this story line] finds looking into a guy's eyes makes his meter go twang , he might find himself 'becoming confused' by this !!

Some more to ponder:

on this clip we can see the label for the disco promo only that came out for the clubs:

Odd word choice "THE FULL UNEDITED VERSION OF"

Most Disco 12" used words like 'Long Version' or 'Disco Version'. This one could just read "THE FULL VERSION OF" but the word unedited has been included. For starters the 45 version isn't edited in that its been sliced and diced... it just fades out at a certain point within the full version. By doing so it does seem to be editing out a certain aspect of the recording. 'Unedited' is almost another word for 'uncensored'.
    Strikes me they are trying to call attention to the long version's special content for the gay clubs* especially that might then want to play it ,

*since as the Miracles say, all the bars in LA are gay ....

Unedited : I cannot name another 12" pressing from Motown or any other label that uses that word. Anyone?

here's a shot of the label for the Frankie Valli 12"out at the same time:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-09-2022 at 01:27 PM.

I already agreed, but now I agree even more. Excellent work Boogie. I too would like to know more about these things from those who were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post

That is the same song as the 12" by Donna Summer on the "Thank God It's Friday" soundtrack, isn't it? I never heard the original before now. I never played the 12" that came with "Friday." It seemed to just be a rehash of "Love to Love You Baby" and was much too long in my [[then) humble opinion. It made a nice package but I don't recall anyone ever playing it on the radio, though I was too young for the clubs at the time and perhaps it got some exposure there though it would have had to compete with "Last Dance" which of course was the big song from the film.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    You left out Wally and the Beave. Lol!
    Agh! I need to proofread my posts! So many errors!