[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Witchi Tai To

Witchi Tai To

I'm happy to have these - but my initial reaction to this and Green River was I am no longer surprised they weren't released

WTT was a unique song that has lost its uniqueness in this version and the hooks in the Creedence song are really watered down

Still I want to hear the rest and I'm glad to have it - but these songs weren't going to be hits

What the heck is is why in gods name would any one release this it’s one of the worst songs I have ever heard Mary deserves better

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    What the heck is is why in gods name would any one release this it’s one of the worst songs I have ever heard Mary deserves better
    No need to be over dramatic. It’s far from being the worst.

If you knew anything about the song, it’s a peyote chant adapted by Native American jazz saxophonist Jim Pepper who based it off a chant his grandfather taught him in the Native American church. Yes, it is definitely out of the Supremes usual love song fare, but it’s different and it works. Would it have found a place on an album? Probably not, but that’s not because the song is bad. It’s experimental for them. It’s a beloved song by many and has been heavily covered - the Supremes being one of the first to cover it. I find it to be an intriguing song and they [[Mary & Cindy) do a great job with it.

I get why it was vaulted as I can't see it fitting anywhere on Cream of the Crop or Right on. But good to know all involved were experimenting a bit and trying out different ways to record the Supremes in the studio.

That track is hot. Giving it another listen, I like the song a bit better than I did last night. Same track, different lyrics and content, and this could've been a killer.

I'm not convinced this is Mary and Cindy. Sounds Mary and Jean to me.

fantastic !
    great horns and especially liking the bass line.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-06-2022 at 01:54 AM.

For those who forgot what Deke Richards wrote about this song here it is;

Well, you have to understand Frank Wilson and I were close. We usually came to Detroit together, and stayed at the same place Harlan House / Quality Inn on Grand. We lived next door to each other. We ate at the same restaurant together, etc, etc. It just happens we were together in a cab on our way to the studio when we heard that song, and we both loved it. Same goes for another one we were crazy about, "Everlasting Love" by Robert Knight? We both blurted out simultaneously, "I love that song!" We thought they would both be great covers we could use on the Supremes LP. The only problem with "Wichi-Tai-To" was the absence of lyrics. I remember we ordered the sheet music, but what you hear is what you get. It's just a chant and a verse. So we thought it would be good for Mary to sing. We tried dubbing her in straight, then with an edge, and settled on a quiet almost whisper, which sounded the best. However, the magic of that song was it was so different at the time: A chant with a simple groove. With Jim Peppers different sounding vocal floating through the groove, is what made it all come together. I think the problem was we couldn't make more of what wasn't there, without taking liberties and changing it. BUT, we couldn't do that, or we would have been giving up what made the tune so special. So, we were in a jam. That tune was meant to be enjoyed as is, not necessarily recut. Nevertheless, we overdubbed Mary, and then sweetened the track with brass. My copy only has the soft vocals. The trick on this one would be to use the soft and the hard vocal as a shadow. Problem is, I don't know if Frank saved the other vocals or tossed them. Maybe we will see it come out one of these days. Maybe I'll even get to mix it.

The way Deke said it, it seems like it’s Mary only

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    It’s Mary dubbed a few times with a whisper vocal, straight vocal, and then additional vocal boost of her and Cindy. You can tell it’s Cindy when they split into two part harmony when she sings “Makes me feel glad that I’m not dead.”

It’s far more enjoyable when you take it for what it’s worth - an experimental track with the girls trying something new. It’s suppose to have that mysterious, mystique sound because that’s what the song envokes. It could be quite possible the only experimental track the group ever did. When you get into the idea that the Supremes, who at that time were being seen as a nightclub act, doing something out of their norm and singing a peyote chant, it’s really kind of fun.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-05-2022 at 02:01 PM.

By the way, this is the original version of the song by the short lived band Everything Is Everything. That’s Jim Pepper singing the lead.

Yes I like Mary on this song.

I listen to this a few times now I can hardly understand what the heck she’s singing the words are not clear it’s nice…to be Released now we know what it was all about

I listen to this a few times now I can hardly understand what the heck she’s singing the words are not clear it’s nice…to be Released now we know what it was all about
    It’s a chant in an indigenous language and a verse in English.

Witchi tai tai
    Gimme rah
    Woah rah neeko
    Woah rah neeko
    Hey nay hey nay no wah

Water spirit feelin’
    Springin’ round my head
    Makes me feel glad
    That I’m not dead

That’s it. That’s all they are singing.

they were being experimental and I think for what it is they were very successful at creating a sound and a mood. I don’t see its commercial potential but sometimes when you’re taking chances on things you take a shot at what isn’t the obvious. I kind of like it but it will not be on any of my playlists I would imagine. Who knows how many incredible records we enjoy every day that began the same way. And as a Mary completist, I’m thrilled to have it. It shows yet another facet of her voice.

For those who forgot what Deke Richards wrote about this song here it is;

Well, you have to understand Frank Wilson and I were close. We usually came to Detroit together, and stayed at the same place Harlan House / Quality Inn on Grand. We lived next door to each other. We ate at the same restaurant together, etc, etc. It just happens we were together in a cab on our way to the studio when we heard that song, and we both loved it. Same goes for another one we were crazy about, "Everlasting Love" by Robert Knight? We both blurted out simultaneously, "I love that song!" We thought they would both be great covers we could use on the Supremes LP. The only problem with "Wichi-Tai-To" was the absence of lyrics. I remember we ordered the sheet music, but what you hear is what you get. It's just a chant and a verse. So we thought it would be good for Mary to sing. We tried dubbing her in straight, then with an edge, and settled on a quiet almost whisper, which sounded the best. However, the magic of that song was it was so different at the time: A chant with a simple groove. With Jim Peppers different sounding vocal floating through the groove, is what made it all come together. I think the problem was we couldn't make more of what wasn't there, without taking liberties and changing it. BUT, we couldn't do that, or we would have been giving up what made the tune so special. So, we were in a jam. That tune was meant to be enjoyed as is, not necessarily recut. Nevertheless, we overdubbed Mary, and then sweetened the track with brass. My copy only has the soft vocals. The trick on this one would be to use the soft and the hard vocal as a shadow. Problem is, I don't know if Frank saved the other vocals or tossed them. Maybe we will see it come out one of these days. Maybe I'll even get to mix it.
    Thank you for sharing this because I missed it. Deke and I did not discuss this in any of our conversations so it’s wonderful information to have.

There's definitely a higher, non Mary voice on here. I'm not convinced it's Cindy.

This IMO is the surprise highlight of this release.
    sort of like The Four Tops STILL WATER it’s innovative and unconventional and broadens what to expect from an artist .
    glad I didn’t let what seemed like a silly title turn me away which was my first impulse.

love a song that builds instrumentally as it goes and continues to add interest as it progresses as this does. Busier and busier. My go-to listen at the moment.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-06-2022 at 11:59 AM.

I’m assuming if there’s a extra voice it’s either Cindy or possible one of the Andantes or one of the Blackberries

I’m assuming if there’s a extra voice it’s either Cindy or possible one of the Andantes or one of the Blackberries
    It could be Cindy, but something about it sounds more Jean to me. I don't believe it's anyone other than a then current Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It could be Cindy, but something about it sounds more Jean to me. I don't believe it's anyone other than a then current Supreme.
    I wish I could find it, but Deke did say on the forum here years ago he completed it when they were still DRATS. They were DRATS up to January 14, 1970 and Jean was recording months before so it's possible, but after listening to it and knowing Cindy's voice, I believe it's just Mary and Cindy. This may have been one of those instances were they knew Diana was leaving, Jean wasn't selected yet, and they wanted to experiment with Mary and Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I wish I could find it, but Deke did say on the forum here years ago he completed it when they were still DRATS. They were DRATS up to January 14, 1970 and Jean was recording months before so it's possible, but after listening to it and knowing Cindy's voice, I believe it's just Mary and Cindy. This may have been one of those instances were they knew Diana was leaving, Jean wasn't selected yet, and they wanted to experiment with Mary and Cindy.
    I agree with your comments that it's a fascinating study into some of the experimentation going on. sometimes things clicked, sometimes less so. or maybe something was great but never really fit into the future plans.

not trying to stir the pot - but it is a bit of a shame that there wasn't more experimentation done with the DMF lineup. and maybe they did do a little bit but things were wiped. seems like they did do some of this experimentation with the concept albums.

And I can hardly understand what the heck you're writing about because of your lack of punctuation.
    Last edited by 144man; 03-09-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Makes sense. Like I said it could be Cindy, just seemed more Jean to me. Maybe it's Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That track is hot. Giving it another listen, I like the song a bit better than I did last night. Same track, different lyrics and content, and this could've been a killer.

I'm not convinced this is Mary and Cindy. Sounds Mary and Jean to me.
    I also like it. It’s a very interesting song. Different but I do like it.