[REMOVE ADS]

Who is the oldest in age Motown artist still alive?

This question came up over the weekend from a friend. My guess was it is Mable John who is 91 years old. The key is "living." They need not be performing at this age either.

Am I right or am I wrong?

And I assume we're looking for actual artists, not just Motown people such as Berry Gordy who is 92. Great question, btw.

Joe Messina of the Funk Brothers is 93.

After Mable, Joe and Mr Gordy, the next oldest Motowner I can trace is Sammy Turner, born June 3, 1932, so coming up to 90 at the time of this writing. He cut "Only You" for the company in 1964.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 03-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    After Mable, Joe and Mr Gordy, the next oldest Motowner I can trace is Sammy Turner, born June 3, 1932, so coming up to 90 at the time of this writing. He cut "Only You" for the company in 1964.
    Wow I didn't even know that Sammy Turner was once on Motown or did a remake of the Platters 'ONLY YOU' song. I knew him around 1960 when he was working at a fruit stand in Paterson. I was a kid working at a record shop down the block from him. Soon after he left his job because he had a big hit record called LAVENDER BLUE. At the height of his fame, he drove by the record shop to show us his new Pink Cadillac; not bragging, just proud. His fame did not last long and soon he was back at the fruit stand. By 1964 I was in the army doing all the crap that you have to do in the army and also listening to all the great stuff coming out of Motown. But I had no idea that Sammy had signed to Motown.

Interesting that he recorded ONLY YOU. His voice is similar to Tony Williams, and he would have made a great replacement as lead singer of The Platters.

Sad that he was basically a one hit wonder. He had a wonderful voice and although I did not know him that well and only briefly, he was a nice guy before, during and after the height of his fame.

Glad that Sammy is still with us. "Dilly, Dilly" Sorry to have gotten off topic.
    Last edited by milven; 03-01-2022 at 06:33 PM.

How about Robert Gordy, at 91? He recorded as Bob Kayli on Tamla and Gordy before songwriting and working at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow I didn't even know that Sammy Turner was once on Motown or did a remake of the Platters 'ONLY YOU' song. I knew him around 1960 when he was working at a fruit stand in Paterson. I was a kid working at a record shop down the block from him. Soon after he left his job because he had a big hit record called LAVENDER BLUE. At the height of his fame, he drove by the record shop to show us his new Pink Cadillac; not bragging, just proud. His fame did not last long and soon he was back at the fruit stand. By 1964 I was in the army doing all the crap that you have to do in the army and also listening to all the great stuff coming out of Motown. But I had no idea that Sammy had signed to Motown.

Interesting that he recorded ONLY YOU. His voice is similar to Tony Williams, and he would have made a great replacement as lead singer of The Platters.

Sad that he was basically a one hit wonder. He had a wonderful voice and although I did not know him that well and only briefly, he was a nice guy before, during and after the height of his fame.

Glad that Sammy is still with us. "Dilly, Dilly" Sorry to have gotten off topic.
    You might then be interested in Cellarful Of Motown Volume 5 which has Eddie Hollands version of Only you plus a track that took over ten years to get included the wonderful Sammy Turner track All I Have Left Are Memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yKGe6gGiUg

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    How about Robert Gordy, at 91? He recorded as Bob Kayli on Tamla and Gordy before songwriting and working at Motown.
    I think you're right, Mary. Robert was born 15 July 1931, making him older than Sammy Turner.

Sammy Turner Motown 1055 B side "Right Now" well worth a listen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqs2-5WAvhc