[REMOVE ADS]

A&E Announces James Brown Documentary, Produced by Mick Jagger and the Roots

From RollingStone.com-
    James Brown’s life and career will be the focus of an upcoming four-part documentary executive produced by Mick Jagger and the Roots’ Questlove and Black Thought.

A&E announced Friday 2/25/2022 that they have green-lit James Brown: Say It Loud, a massive four-hour docuseries that celebrates the Godfather of Funk’s legacy. The series will feature both never-before-seen archival footage and interviews with friends, family, collaborators and more, and track Brown’s life from the Jim Crow-era South to becoming “the hardest working man in show business.”

“I am thrilled to be producing the four part documentary series with A&E delving into the fascinating life of James Brown,” Mick Jagger said in a statement. “He was a brilliant performer who inspired me from the beginning and was deeply committed to the Civil Rights movement. I have always admired James and learned so much from him. I look forward to bringing the series to life.”

“The life of James Brown is significant not only to understand his immense musical impact, which inspires us and other artists to this day, but also for the deep and lasting impression he has had on American culture,” Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and Tariq ‘Black Thought’ Trotter added. “Brown’s life is a crucial and timely story of struggle, redemption, and self-identity and we are honored to have the chance to share it.”

James Brown: Say It Loud will arrive in 2023, a year that marks what would have been Brown’s 90th birthday. “Consistently facing obstacles and unbelievable odds, the documentary details how Brown persevered through decades of personal demons, racial injustice and career setbacks to find redemption and become one of the most celebrated and influential artists of the 20th century,” A&E said of the docuseries. “James Brown: Say It Loud is a definitive look at a complicated life and a reflection on the immense impact Brown continues to have as a musical and cultural trailblazer.”

After Mick had a hand in Get On Up, with the Kate Chadwick B., the CNN JB doc a few years ago, and countless books; Quest even did a panel discussion on ReelBlack...how can they AND A&E say, [[JBSIL is a definitive look...??!!"

That phrase is soooooo overused/overblown nowadays. In other words, what else is there left to say which hasn't ALREADY been said, people???

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    how can they AND A&E say, [[JBSIL is a definitive look...??!!"

That phrase is soooooo overused/overblown nowadays. In other words, what else is there left to say which hasn't ALREADY been said, people???
    According to the article, there's 'never before seen archival footage' and 'interviews with family, friends, collaborators & more'. That's good enough for me & I'm looking forward to seeing James Brown: Say It Loud when it comes out next year.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 05-05-2022 at 04:46 AM. Reason: corrections

Will this be a ‘warts and all’ look? James Brown definitely has some unsavory aspects to his life and story

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    Will this be a ‘warts and all’ look? James Brown definitely has some unsavory aspects to his life and story
    It looks it will be a 'warts & all' look at JB [along with previously unseen archival footage & interviews].

Hope that infamous mugshot is in there. How could you not let The Godfather of Soul at least comb his hair before booking him??! Big wart that.