[REMOVE ADS]

TV One's Unsung to feature decade by decade music specials

From SoulTracks.com:
    TV One
    announced the premiere date of its four-part documentary special UNSUNG PRESENTS: THE DECADES, an examination of the music and social consciousness of the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. Following on the success of TV One’s groundbreaking ‘Music and the Movement’ special, these four ‘Decades’ episodes put a spotlight on songs that were chart hits, while also showing how they became signifiers for what was going on in the wider culture of Black America, from politics to fashion to business. UNSUNG PRESENTS: THE DECADES kicks off a night of back-to-back episodes on Sunday, February 27 starting at 9 p.m. ET/8C, beginning with the 1970s, immediately followed by the 1980s episode at 10 p.m. ET/9C.

The ‘Decades’ special tells the chronological story of the evolution of music, from Motown and disco in the 1970s and 1980s, to the revolutionary sound and style of Hip Hop in the 1990s and 2000s, showcasing the music and artists that provided the soundtrack of Black America. ‘Decades’, provides social commentary to cultural events such as the Vietnam War, the crack cocaine & AIDS epidemic, and police brutality in American society and the role music played.
    UNSUNG, an NAACP Image Award-winning series, is one of the network’s longest-running series, highlighting and exploring the careers and personal lives of some of the most talented, versatile and influential Black musical artists. ‘Decades’ spotlights Edwin Starr, The Floaters, Brick, Carl Carlton, Dazz Band, Jermaine Stewart, Rockwell, Teddy Riley, Public Enemy, All 4 One, Az Yet, Lisa Fischer, Jade, Digital Underground, Tweet and Keak Da Sneak.
    Airdates of TV One's upcoming new episodes of UNSUNG PRESENTS: The DECADES are detailed below:

• 1970s and 1980s premieres Sunday, February 27
    • 1990s premieres Sunday, April 17
    • 2000s premieres Sunday, April 24

A tapestry of history and song from a fresh perspective, ‘Decades’ displays both the trials and triumphs of the times, and how music influenced the Black experience.

Hope these will eventually show up on Youtube since I don't get that channel on my cable.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Hope these will eventually show up on Youtube since I don't get that channel on my cable.
    It's possible that these special episodes of Unsung will turn up on YouTube. I've seen quite a few of the shows from the series turn up on there. Anyways, 'fingers crossed'.

Personally, I think Brick and Edwin Starr need their own episodes. But, something is better than nothing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Personally, I think Brick and Edwin Starr need their own episodes. But, something is better than nothing I guess.
    I Agree! There are a lot of acts from the '70s that I'd love to see on Unsung [such as Edwin Starr & Brick]. However, the series has been leaning more & more towards artists the '90s & the 2000s [and each season of the show has been only four or five episodes at best].

To be fair to the producers of the show, they have reached out to some 70s artists like Enchantment and the Stylistics. However, they declined to participate because they don’t want to reopen old wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    To be fair to the producers of the show, they have reached out to some 70s artists like Enchantment and the Stylistics. However, they declined to participate because they don’t want to reopen old wounds.
    That's true. I've also heard about artists who don't want to open up details surrounding their private life and declined an appearance on Unsung.