[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Apparently there exists a far superior mix that has yet to see the light of day. I played it to death at the time, but the sound quality on the original album always did sound rather tinny.
    The fact it was originally planned as a double album, means there be quite a few extra songs that were edited out when it was whittled down to a single album release.
    It might have been reduced to a single disk upon its release because it was somewhat dated. It was recorded in early 1973 but wasn't released until spring of 1974. In the interim, Diana had recorded hits like TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING and LAST TIME I SAW HIM, as well as the duets with Marvin Gaye. If they had recorded a later concert, it might have been more attractive, sales-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It might have been reduced to a single disk upon its release because it was somewhat dated. It was recorded in early 1973 but wasn't released until spring of 1974. In the interim, Diana had recorded hits like TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING and LAST TIME I SAW HIM, as well as the duets with Marvin Gaye. If they had recorded a later concert, it might have been more attractive, sales-wise.
    I don't think her set list had altered that drastically from 73 to 74. “Touch Me In The Morning” was an addition, but she wasn’t singing “LTISH” or any of the duet tracks from D&M. In fact other then “Sleepin”, i don’t believe she was performing any other songs from “LTISH”. Happy to be corrected. One of the highlights of the album for me is “I Love You Porgy”.
    Had they released “Blue” instead, it might possibly have sold better. I imagine with Berry always keen to highlight Diana's versatility, he was ready to move on to pastures new.

I don't think her set list had altered that drastically from 73 to 74. “Touch Me In The Morning” was an addition, but she wasn’t singing “LTISH” or any of the duet tracks from D&M. In fact other then “Sleepin”, i don’t believe she was performing any other songs from “LTISH”. Happy to be corrected. One of the highlights of the album for me is “I Love You Porgy”.
    Had they released “Blue” instead, it might possibly have sold better. I imagine with Berry always keen to highlight Diana's versatility, he was ready to move on to pastures new.
    I'm not sure what she did on tour during those years. But I did read an interview with Gil Askey who mentioned she was doing a new arrangement of LOVE CHILD to open her 1974 Universal Amphitheater engagement, as well as Stevie's SUPERSTITION, and Bette Midler's DO YOU WANT TO DANCE? It was also mentioned that she performed MY MISTAKE with G.C. Cameron during the engagement. Ron Miller mentioned attending a show where she performed TOUCH ME, SLEEPIN' and LAST TIME I SAW HIM.

Any of these would have made a more 1974-friendly album, although I hasten to add that I love the album as it is.

I'm not sure what she did on tour during those years. But I did read an interview with Gil Askey who mentioned she was doing a new arrangement of LOVE CHILD to open her 1974 Universal Amphitheater engagement, as well as Stevie's SUPERSTITION, and Bette Midler's DO YOU WANT TO DANCE? It was also mentioned that she performed MY MISTAKE with G.C. Cameron during the engagement. Ron Miller mentioned attending a show where she performed TOUCH ME, SLEEPIN' and LAST TIME I SAW HIM.

Any of these would have made a more 1974-friendly album, although I hasten to add that I love the album as it is.
    I would have loved to have seen her duetting with G.C Cameron. A more fitting duet partner then Larry Hagman me thinks lol. I wonder if it was a one off performance or a regular fixture. It’s rather annoying there are no recordings of what sounds like a very special concert presentation.I had no idea she had performed “LTISH” live, other then on the muppet show of course.

Those additional songs must have remained in her set list for only a short time. Unless of course she was on the road during 75, a year i thought she had taken off to be with her children.

Those additional songs must have remained in her set list for only a short time. Unless of course she was on the road during 75, a year i thought she had taken off to be with her children.
    I don't think Diana did much professionally during 1975. But she was the first performer at the Westchester Premiere Theatre in New York that year. The one review I read seemed to focus on the opening of the venue rather than her act.

I gather most of 1975 was spent preparing for the birth of her third daughter and the release of MAHOGANY.
    Last edited by reese; 03-01-2022 at 06:58 PM.

According to Taraborelli, the originally planned double album also included "Strange Fruit," "All of Me," and "Our Love Is Here To Stay" as part of the LSTB section, and "Being Green" was part of a longer Sesame Street medley.
    And of course on her 1973 European tour she did include some other songs, like "Somewhere" [[in the more jazzy arrangement), "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "I Don't Know How To Love Him", "When You Smile," "Together" [[not the Michael Masser song), and "Call Me." Would be great to have an early 1970s collection of live recordings, also including those of the 1970 At the Grove!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    According to Taraborelli, the originally planned double album also included "Strange Fruit," "All of Me," and "Our Love Is Here To Stay" as part of the LSTB section, and "Being Green" was part of a longer Sesame Street medley.
    And of course on her 1973 European tour she did include some other songs, like "Somewhere" [[in the more jazzy arrangement), "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "I Don't Know How To Love Him", "When You Smile," "Together" [[not the Michael Masser song), and "Call Me." Would be great to have an early 1970s collection of live recordings, also including those of the 1970 At the Grove!
    I was forgetting those songs. Looking back at the 70’s, she did manage to incorporate quite a few new songs into her set list during that time frame. It’s a shame it ended up all so predictable.
    An expanded ‘At The Grove” would be great idea, to include live performances from other concerts or even tv.

another song that was cut after this 66/67 period was the cute intro to Baby Love "now that you've heard some of our favorite songs..."

listening to the Symphony EE and enjoying the Roostertail show

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    another song that was cut after this 66/67 period was the cute intro to Baby Love "now that you've heard some of our favorite songs..."

listening to the Symphony EE and enjoying the Roostertail show
    It was so nice to see it back in The Return To Love tour!