[REMOVE ADS]

Bridge over troubled waters

On the song Bridge Over Troubled Waters off the New Ways album does anyone know who sings the last line of "I will ease your mind ?" I know its not Jean but I don't know if its Cindy or Cindy & Mary together or someone else. Any idea ?

my guess is M and C

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    On the song Bridge Over Troubled Waters off the New Ways album does anyone know who sings the last line of "I will ease your mind ?" I know its not Jean but I don't know if its Cindy or Cindy & Mary together or someone else. Any idea ?
    FYI -- if you check both the original on the Simon and Garfunkel album of the same name or the back of the Supremes album, it is "Bridge Over Troubled Water," not "Waters."

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    FYI -- if you check both the original on the Simon and Garfunkel album of the same name or the back of the Supremes album, it is "Bridge Over Troubled Water," not "Waters."
    ok smell you I still don't know.

I believe it's a meld of Andantes and CM, but that's just something I heard somewhere.

I don’t think the Andantes are on here it sounds like just Mary and Cindy doing that line

I like both the S & G original and the Supremes version, but think it would have sounded even better as a Mary solo, minus the thunder claps.
    The ultimate version for me has to be Roberta Flack from her “Quiet Fire” album. It takes you to another place.

i agree that the sound effects are a bit much today. but they were a new and fancy extra thing and was sort of "of the time"

I would have loved a more acoustic version. much of frank's work [[although i love it), borders on being over produced.

We've also mentioned lots of how the girls should have incorporated for their own songs and more of their lp tracks. Bridge would have been a more interesting live and stage song than We've Only Just Begun. and what if the girl performed this on Flip with just a simple background of guitars ands basic instrumentation. no huge orchestra, simple staging. glorious 3-part harmonies

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that the sound effects are a bit much today. but they were a new and fancy extra thing and was sort of "of the time"

I would have loved a more acoustic version. much of frank's work [[although i love it), borders on being over produced.

We've also mentioned lots of how the girls should have incorporated for their own songs and more of their lp tracks. Bridge would have been a more interesting live and stage song than We've Only Just Begun. and what if the girl performed this on Flip with just a simple background of guitars ands basic instrumentation. no huge orchestra, simple staging. glorious 3-part harmonies
    Perhaps because the song had been such a massive hit for S&G in 70, plus you had the stunning Roberta Flack version in 71, performing it live on tv might have appeared overkill.
    I agree in that it would have made a stunning addition to their live concerts, with Cindy being given a line or two

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Perhaps because the song had been such a massive hit for S&G in 70, plus you had the stunning Roberta Flack version in 71, performing it live on tv might have appeared overkill.
    I agree in that it would have made a stunning addition to their live concerts, with Cindy being given a line or two

and don't leave out Aretha!

yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

and don't leave out Aretha!

yum!
    Two brilliant versions. The RF version is almost a hymn, while Aretha gives it a gospel slant. Have you heard any bad versions of the song?.

both RF and AF have excellent versions. i think what makes the Sup version stand out is the stunning 3-part harmony and the 3 lead singing. and while i love my idea of the acoustic approach, Frank clearly was influenced by rock and opera/classical music. he's stated how he felt merging these different genres could only enhance the group's sound. and he was absolutely right

Roberta does a reverent, prayer version of the song. similar to her stunning version IMO of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Aretha is taking Bridge to the church. right up her alley

the New Supremes re-established themselves with Ladder and RO as 3 songbirds singing about love, humanity, peace with an ethereal, symphonic sound that is heightened by the 3 part harmonies and orchestration.

I'd say they still should have pushed their version on tv and stage. yeah Bridge was being done everywhere and by everyone - but so was We've Only Just Begun. and the Sups had something unique to say/do with Bridge so it's justified

Imagine this as the song they did in their stage show, prior to an intermission/break. the stage darkens and the girls just in individual spot lights. minimal instrumentation to start with. each girl singing their lead lines. no need for choreography. the music builds throughout and crescendo's to the ending. then lights out, black.

I think it's possible that I might have enjoyed a live version of "Bridge" where they could stretch artistically, but I really don't like the studio version. For my tastes it completely throws off what would have been an excellent A side of the New Ways album. The foghorn, the instrumentation, it's all kind of boring to me. Not bad, just...boring. But it was most likely a serious misstep not performing it live, as well as other album cuts. It's so frustrating to quarterback after the game is over because you see so many possibilities that the ladies [[and their camp) either didn't see or didn't think was worth a second thought.

Btw, I love to hear them do "We've Only Just Begun". Beautiful.

Two brilliant versions. The RF version is almost a hymn, while Aretha gives it a gospel slant. Have you heard any bad versions of the song?.
    oh Ollie why did you have to ask!!
    I have to admit , when I first heard this , I thought. "oh, oh disco is in trouble"

I have to admit , when I first heard this , I thought. "oh, oh disco is in trouble"

Actually not bad at all.

Very much of its time, complete with bombastic disco beats. It’s actually not that bad as Linda clearly has a very good voice. Would I want to own it....nah. Anymore?.

This is one of the rare times I like a disco song more from a distance , now years later.
    at the time it sounded like kitchen sink disco where everything possible was thrown at it , and at the time I felt certain songs should be left alone out some sort of reverence and BRIDGE was one of those I didn’t feel right prancing around on the dance floor to. Lol!

it is bombastic sort of like THE BOSS and on this day I’m kind of enjoying it !
    plus it’s Linda Clifford .

This is one of the rare times I like a disco song more from a distance , now years later.
    at the time it sounded like kitchen sink disco where everything possible was thrown at it , and at the time I felt certain songs should be left alone out some sort of reverence and BRIDGE was one of those I didn’t feel right prancing around on the dance floor to. Lol!

it is bombastic sort of like THE BOSS and on this day I’m kind of enjoying it !
    plus it’s Linda Clifford .
    I know exactly what you mean by reverential, as it’s almost a prayer set to music. Shaking your body down to the ground seems vaguely wrong.
    I still think it should have been a Mary solo with minimal accompaniment. Sometimes less is more.
    Katie Melua does an ok job, but the late, great Eva Cassidy like Roberta And Aretha makes the song her own. Out of curiosity, is Eva Cassidy known in the USA?. She died age 33 in 96.

I know exactly what you mean by reverential, as it’s almost a prayer set to music. Shaking your body down to the ground seems vaguely wrong.
    I still think it should have been a Mary solo with minimal accompaniment. Sometimes less is more.
    Katie Melua does an ok job, but the late, great Eva Cassidy like Roberta And Aretha makes the song her own. Out of curiosity, is Eva Cassidy known in the USA?. She died age 33 in 96.
    I don’t know of her Ollie but that means zilch.I mostly lost interest in new music by the mid eighties .
    Can tell you get my drift about BRIDGE . Are there any songs regarded as ‘sacred’ these days …. I wonder…
    I’ll look into Eva and give her a listen .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-19-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Yes, Eva Cassidy is known in the US. I am familiar with her “Over The Rainbow”. I bought her CD with this song about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think it's possible that I might have enjoyed a live version of "Bridge" where they could stretch artistically, but I really don't like the studio version. For my tastes it completely throws off what would have been an excellent A side of the New Ways album. The foghorn, the instrumentation, it's all kind of boring to me. Not bad, just...boring. But it was most likely a serious misstep not performing it live, as well as other album cuts. It's so frustrating to quarterback after the game is over because you see so many possibilities that the ladies [[and their camp) either didn't see or didn't think was worth a second thought.

Btw, I love to hear them do "We've Only Just Begun". Beautiful.

I look at it from the perspective of when it came out and my initial impression which was very favorable. I thought the foghorn was corny but more than that I thought at the end of side wine they are in it to win it. They were not sticking to the three minute formula passed hundred plus tracks and we’re being creative and bold just by stepping outside of the structure. Until I heard side twoI thought this album was going to go straight to the top with that smash single and a very dramatic take on the Simon and Garfunkel instant classic. I was surprised at how polarizing it was. People either loved it or hated it and that includes critics. It gave me hope because music was changing so drastically, I wanted my Supremes to be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I look at it from the perspective of when it came out and my initial impression which was very favorable. I thought the foghorn was corny but more than that I thought at the end of side wine they are in it to win it. They were not sticking to the three minute formula passed hundred plus tracks and we’re being creative and bold just by stepping outside of the structure. Until I heard side twoI thought this album was going to go straight to the top with that smash single and a very dramatic take on the Simon and Garfunkel instant classic. I was surprised at how polarizing it was. People either loved it or hated it and that includes critics. It gave me hope because music was changing so drastically, I wanted my Supremes to be around forever.
    I first got the album in 95. The only song I hated was "Come Together", because at the time there wasn't a version I liked at all. [[I have since grown an appreciation for Diana's version, though I straddle the fence between liking it or not.) I loved to liked everything else...except "Bridge". I usually dug the songs that deviated from the official lead singer, but "Bridge" bored me to tears from the first listen. I can't even remember the last time I really listened to it, so perhaps I'm due for a revisit, see if maybe my thoughts have changed with the passage of time.

This may have made for a better version.

I've always enjoyed the Supremes version of Bridge better than most others except for Aretha's of course. Love their harmonies on this.

Nice conversation and exchange of opinions.

Have you heard the one-take at her house by Chris Clark?

https://youtu.be/uM7uEe3cn28

Chris relates how this demo came about:
    "There's a funny story that goes with this -- and kind of speaks
    to the casual nature of its beginning. I wouldn't want people to think
    it was a finished product:

I was at the keyboard in my bedroom fooling around with the song
    trying to see if I had anything to bring to it. I grabbed a little hand
    held cassette player and taped it [[if you listen carefully, you can hear
    me turning the page of the sheet music -- eeh!).

My sister Jane Clark was in her studio waiting for her next clients and decided to put it onto a CD for me. When her clients came in -- they heard it and insisted on putting on backgrounds.

My sister fought them -- because of my ratty keyboard playing -- but, fortunately for me, they won.

And the backgrounds just knocked me out!
    And for some reason, I just really really love this cut.

Special thanks to vocalists extraordinaire
    Sonya Heller
    Melanie DeMore

And very special thanks to Walter Watson for the visuals. "

To see more of the wonderful artwork that was used in this video, please visit the website of Chris Clark @ http://www.chrisclarkinc.com/

Also her Yahoo fan club/group @
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/...

And Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...

Thank you,
    W. W. Watson, video director

I actually like their version of Bridge over Troubled Water, foghorn and all. I often wonder if the foghorn was recorded off the old ferry from Detroit to Boblo Island, a popular amusement park of the era?

And I like the idea of them incorporating some sort of acoustic version into the act. It could have been a nice addition and bonus points for doing a cover song that's actually on the album they've recorded rather than performing a cover with no accompanying album version.

A lot of work went into recording their album cuts and it's a bit of a shame that only a handful of those songs that never got a single release would never get a live performance, if only for the time the new album was fresh on the market and supposedly being promoted by the live concerts. Especially for the Right On album.

This song has such a beautiful blend and shame it was never performed live.