[REMOVE ADS]

Real Gone Music Present Darlene Love's "The Many Sides of Love" for Record Store Day

From SecondDisc.com:

From the moment she stepped out of the background to sing the commanding leads on such classic songs as "Christmas [Baby Please Come Home]" and "He's a Rebel," Darlene Love's voice has been recognized as one of the most powerful in rock and R&B. On Record Store Day, April 23, Second Disc Records and Real Gone Music will celebrate Love's extraordinary legacy of song with a new retrospective featuring fifteen of her most criminally overlooked recordings. The Many Sides of Love: The Complete Reprise Recordings Plus! is not only our very first Second Disc Records release for Record Store Day, but it's a long overdue celebration of the enduring artistry of Darlene Love.

The Many Sides of Love
    brings together - for the first time on long-playing vinyl - all of the rare single sides recorded by Darlene for the label Frank Sinatra founded, Reprise Records, both as a solo artist and with The Blossoms [the most famous line-up of which featured Darlene, Fanita James, and Jean King]. The collection also features the sides The Blossoms recorded [with Darlene on lead, of course] for guitarist Barney Kessel and as The Wildcats.

These soulful tunes are every bit as absorbing as Love's more famous recordings for Phil Spector, with songs from David Gates, Lee Hazlewood, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, and Van McCoy; productions by Hazlewood and Jack Nitzsche, and Jimmy Bowen; and arrangements by H.B. Barnum, Gene Page, Ernie Freeman, and Bill Justis. In other words, the cream of the crop came together for Love and The Blossoms' Reprise recordings, all of which have been newly remastered for this release by Mike Milchner at SonicVision.

But there's still that Plus! in the title. The Many Sides of Love additionally offers Darlene's volcanic rendition of Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich, and Phil Spector's "River Deep, Mountain High" from her star turn in Broadway's Leader of the Pack [produced by Ellie and the legendary Bob Crewe] as well as two Andy Paley-written and produced cuts from the Dick Tracy soundtrack/companion album and Darlene's delightful duet with Bette Midler on the Spector-era classic "He's Sure the Boy I Love."

The release includes a four-page insert with rare photos as well as comprehensive liner notes by TSD's Joe Marchese. It's all been designed in the style of a period Reprise LP by John Sellards and pressed onto teal vinyl by Gotta Groove Records. The RSD release of Darlene Love's The Many Sides of Love - The Complete Reprise Recordings Plus! is strictly limited to 3,500 copies. Look for this tribute to one of the greatest vocalists of all time at your local record store on Saturday, April 23 from Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records - and keep it locked here for more RSD reveals from Real Gone and other labels!

Darlene Love, The Many Sides of Love: The Complete Reprise Recordings Plus! [Real Gone Music/Second Disc Records RGM-1375, 2022]
    Side One

1. TV Commercials - Barney Kessel [Reprise single R-20,152, 1963]
    2. What Are We Gonna Do In '64? - The Wildcats [Reprise single 0253, 1964]
    3. 3625 Groovy Street - The Wildcats [Reprise single 0253, 1964]
    4. That's When the Tears Start - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0436, 1966]
    5. Good, Good Lovin' - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0436, 1966]
    6. My Love, Come Home - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0475, 1966]
    7. Lover Boy - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0475, 1966]
    8. Let Your Love Shine on Me - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0522, 1966]
    9. Deep Into My Heart - The Blossoms [Reprise single 0522, 1966]

Side Two

1. Too Late to Say You're Sorry - Darlene Love [Reprise single 0534, 1966]
    2. If - Darlene Love [Reprise single 0534, 1966)]
    3. River Deep, Mountain High - Darlene Love [Elektra single 7-69647, 1985]
    4. Mr. Fix It - Darlene Love [Sire U.K. single W 9535, 1990]
    5. He's Sure the Boy I Love - Bette Midler and Darlene Love [Warner Bros. LP 545542-2, 2014]
    6. Mr. Fix It [1930s Version] - Darlene Love [Sire LP 9 26236-2, 1990] [Bonus Track]

Looks like I'll be standing in line next month!

Looks like a great album. I’m not familiar with any of her recordings with the Blossoms except for one that I think was on another label perhaps called “Break Your Promise.” But this really should’ve been a double LP. Even though it’s the length of an LP from back in the day, I think most folks expect to get more material than that if they’re going to shell out the high price that vinyl usually commands.

Thanks Motown Eddie! I was looking at the RSD lists yesterday, saw this release and was initially skeptical, but I think I may need to get it. I just won't be standing in any lines...been there, done that lol. I will get it online from a local record store the next day, like I did with Real Gone's Dusty Springfield Atlantic Singles vinyl release last year. Some of these lines at my local record shops start as early as 6 am and people wait for hours. I have seen some stores have RSD lineups start as early as midnight, with people sleeping in sleeping bags and tents. Oy!

I'm especially curious about the 1985 version she did of River Deep. I don't think I've heard it. I noticed it came out as a 45 rpm b/w Leader of the Pack by Annie Golden. Interesting.

I noticed there will also be a 50th anniversary vinyl release of Dusty Springfield's See All Her Faces for RSD this year, but have yet to see any further details. I believe it will be a 2 LP set.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-19-2022 at 11:40 AM.

This is the song I remember. I believe it would be from after the period that this album focuses on, early 70s I would say. It’s not the usual type of song you think of when you think of Darlene Love, but wow the Blossoms are really excellent and Love never let’s go of the drama in the song. To me they kind of evoke the sound of the 3 Degrees around the same time, like on their fantastic “maybe“ album. Anyway let me know your thoughts on her way of singing. Wow, she really is phenomenal.

i’d like to see what else is on the album this appears to be from, though it has the look of a bootleg to my eyes…

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks Motown Eddie! I was looking at the RSD lists yesterday, saw this release and was initially skeptical, but I think I may need to get it. I just won't be standing in any lines...been there, done that lol. I will get it online from a local record store the next day, like I did with Real Gone's Dusty Springfield Atlantic Singles vinyl release last year. Some of these lines at my local record shops start as early as 6 am and people wait for hours. I have seen some stores have RSD lineups start as early as midnight, with people sleeping in sleeping bags and tents. Oy!

I'm especially curious about the 1985 version she did of River Deep. I don't think I've heard it. I noticed it came out as a 45 rpm b/w Leader of the Pack by Annie Golden. Interesting.

I noticed there will also be a 50th anniversary vinyl release of Dusty Springfield's See All Her Faces for RSD this year, but have yet to see any further details. I believe it will be a 2 LP set.
    I've been lucky with RSDs. The lines have never been too long on the occasions I've gone. The only disappointment this year is that Darlene's is the only release I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This is the song I remember. I believe it would be from after the period that this album focuses on, early 70s I would say. It’s not the usual type of song you think of when you think of Darlene Love, but wow the Blossoms are really excellent and Love never let’s go of the drama in the song. To me they kind of evoke the sound of the 3 Degrees around the same time, like on their fantastic “maybe“ album. Anyway let me know your thoughts on her way of singing. Wow, she really is phenomenal.

i’d like to see what else is on the album this appears to be from, though it has the look of a bootleg to my eyes…

Thanks for posting this. I like this very much.

I don't have a memory of this recording even though it is featured on a bootleg Blossoms collection that I have, THEY CAME TO SING Vols. 1 and 2. According to the 45cat.com website, it was released on Bell in November of 1970. One video on YouTube shows the 45 label and it was a production by Stan Watson and was arranged by Thom Bell. It was written by Wm. Hart of the Delfonics and done by them in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I don't have a memory of this recording even though it is featured on a bootleg Blossoms collection that I have, THEY CAME TO SING Vols. 1 and 2. According to the 45cat.com website, it was released on Bell in November of 1970. One video on YouTube shows the 45 label and it was a production by Stan Watson and was arranged by Thom Bell. It was written by Wm. Hart of the Delfonics and done by them in 1968.
    Is that Jean King sharing the lead vocals with Darlene?

I've been lucky with RSDs. The lines have never been too long on the occasions I've gone. The only disappointment this year is that Darlene's is the only release I'm interested in.
    Lucky guy...I waited in line in the drizzling rain last year for half an hour and after the line didn't move much, I stepped out and went home. I was waiting to buy the Aretha Live in Philly RSD release, but ended up buying it online from another local store who had leftover copies in their inventory, later that day.

I'm also curious about the Dusty Springfield See All Her Faces RSD anniversary release, as well as the half speed anniversary remaster of Rick Astley's Whenever You Need Somebody. I see there is also going to be a picture disc reissue of Donna Summer's 1982 album with Quincy, but I'm likely going to skip that one. I don't need another picture disc of an album that I already have multiple copies of. Plus, the original EU picture disc looks much nicer than this new one

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Is that Jean King sharing the lead vocals with Darlene?
    I'm not sure but I believe so.

Lucky guy...I waited in line in the drizzling rain last year for half an hour and after the line didn't move much, I stepped out and went home. I was waiting to buy the Aretha Live in Philly RSD release, but ended up buying it online from another local store who had leftover copies in their inventory, later that day.

I'm also curious about the Dusty Springfield See All Her Faces RSD anniversary release, as well as the half speed anniversary remaster of Rick Astley's Whenever You Need Somebody. I see there is also going to be a picture disc reissue of Donna Summer's 1982 album with Quincy, but I'm likely going to skip that one. I don't need another picture disc of an album that I already have multiple copies of. Plus, the original EU picture disc looks much nicer than this new one
    This is a coincidence. Last year, I was in line to buy the Aretha in Philly set [as well as sets by Candi Staton and Ike and Tina] and it began to rain on me as well! But it was brief. The big delay was Covid related. They would only let a few people into the RSD section at a time so you had to wait until people left before you could enter. I was lucky enough to get the Candi Staton set but I had to go to another location to purchase Aretha. Unfortunately the Ike and Tina set [according to the guy in the store] wasn't released.
    Last edited by reese; 02-20-2022 at 10:25 AM.

I wouldn’t be able to find my 45 of this without digging through many boxes, but as I recall it had a silver label. I didn’t know its heritage but wow, the Delfonics are certainly all over this in terms of their usual sound. I bet they sang it great and I’m going to look for their version as well. Thanks.

This is a coincidence. Last year, I was in line to buy the Aretha in Philly set [as well as sets by Candi Staton and Ike and Tina] and it began to rain on me as well! But it was brief. The big delay was Covid related. They would only let a few people into the RSD section at a time so you had to wait until people left before you could enter. I was lucky enough to get the Candi Staton set but I had to go to another location to purchase Aretha. Unfortunately the Ike and Tina set [according to the guy in the store] wasn't released.
    Funny coincidence, Reese Same thing happened to me...as they were limiting the number of people allowed in the store. Funny enough, there were only three or four people ahead of me in the line, but the guys who were in the store were taking their sweet time, so I ended up leaving. Ah well.

I noticed that there is an Ike and Tina vinyl release for RSD this year in the UK...

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/ike-tina-turner/

Funny coincidence, Reese Same thing happened to me...as they were limiting the number of people allowed in the store. Funny enough, there were only three or four people ahead of me in the line, but the guys who were in the store were taking their sweet time, so I ended up leaving. Ah well.

I noticed that there is an Ike and Tina vinyl release for RSD this year in the UK...

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/rsd-list/ike-tina-turner/
    Thanks for the info re Ike and Tina. Their set last year was supposed to be from sessions recorded at their Bolic studio and has since been released on cd.

This collection is also coming to CD 5/6/2022:

Darlene Love The Many Sides of Love CD – Real Gone Music

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    This collection is also coming to CD 5/6/2022:

Darlene Love The Many Sides of Love CD – Real Gone Music
    Thanks for the info.

Ace Records have released most of these tracks on CD already. A singles set on The Blossoms, 1966-1970, would be a more enticing CD prospect.