[REMOVE ADS]

I'm Grateful - Tops

Anyone know the history of this tune from their second album?

"Something About You" [[our extended version from Motown Big Hits & More) and "I'm Grateful" have quickly grown to be my number one Tops requests.

I was hoping to share some info with the listeners on "I'm Grateful" - I probably get 6 different requests a day for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post

"Something About You" [[our extended version from Motown Big Hits & More) and "I'm Grateful" have quickly grown to be my number one Tops requests.

I was hoping to share some info with the listeners on "I'm Grateful" - I probably get 6 different requests a day for it.
    DISCLAIMER: The following might not be what you're looking for.

Wow! I just went to my Music on my Mac to re-listen to this track and lo and behold, I already had that album cued up on my screen. As you know, this was from the 1965 Second Album which contained mostly HDH songs and productions. Some sources say that album was co-produced by Smokey Robinson.

I always assumed the song, "I'm Grateful", was totally a HDH written/produced song; however, the credits said it was written by Eddie Holland, Cleo [[or Leo, depending on your source) Drake, and George Fowler. It uses the popular, I, vi, IV, V chord progression for most of the song.

As much as I love the Andantes, I often felt they were mixed a little too loudly in a lot of their work with the Tops. But then again, I must consider the success of these productions augmented with these talented ladies. As a young kid listening to the Four Tops, I was amazed at how the Obie, Duke, and Lawrence sounded so much like females. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post

According to the Don't Forget The Motor City site, "I'm Grateful" was originally recorded by Eddie Holland in April 1963 and was unreleased [until the Eddie Holland collection It Moves Me-The Complete Recordings 1958-1964 from Ace in 2012]. Anyway, the version of the song by The Tops is yet another highlight of their classic Second Album.

Thanks all - "I'm grateful" for your responses.

The liner notes to the Eddie Holland collection states that there were 2 mixes made of Eddie singing "I'm Grateful" In both cases his vocal is placed far back in the mix, so Keith Hughes chose the one that he thought was a slightly better mix.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    The liner notes to the Eddie Holland collection states that there were 2 mixes made of Eddie singing "I'm Grateful" In both cases his vocal is placed far back in the mix, so Keith Hughes chose the one that he thought was a slightly better mix.
    After the rabid success of I Can't Help Myself, Motown went into high gear, as they often did when one of their acts struck pay dirt. This meant for a higher than usual amount of recordings in an effort to follow up on their success and these tracks go in to making Second Album one of the best Motown lps of the 60s. If you look at Motown's classic lps, such as Going To A Go-Go, Shotgun, Reach Out, More Hits, Right On, Renaissance, etc, they were born from a large amount of recordings that were either trashed or wound up in later packages. HDH has often said they preferred working with the Tops and producing that amazing choral effect that made their records stand out. Duke Fakir once told an interviewer that when It's The Same Old Song was rush released that he and the other Tops were at the plant putting labels on the record to insure fast delivery to radio stations. Motown was a hot bed of creativity during this period that they barely had enough studio time to accomodate all the mixing.

I'm Grateful I don't think was intended for anything more than an lp cut. I love it, the strings and harmonies are top notch. There were several other possible hits off Second Album, including Smokey's Is There Anything That I Can Do, a Smokey production that copied the HDH formula and the dynamic Since You Been Gone. Also Helpless was given consideration as a single.

I think Duke and the guys had to help with the labels due to Columbia [[?) rush releasing an old 45 to cash in on the success of ICHM.
    Motown had to rush their own , legitimate follow up. Allhands to the pump.