[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick documentary "Don't Make Me Over" coming from CNN+

From EntertainmentWeekly.com-
    That's what major network acquisition deals are for: CNN has set the premiere for its hotly anticipated music documentary Dionne Warwick: Don't Make Me Over.

Five months after Dave Wooley and David Heilbrone's film debuted to positive reviews at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival, the network revealed Thursday that it will launch the nonfiction project as part of its CNN+ streaming service this spring.

"There have been many words to describe Dionne Warwick. However, for me, it comes down to one word: 'genius,'" said Wooley in a statement, adding that his research for the project points to Warwick being "a deeply transformational leader," and that "her extraordinary voice is a gift that she uses for her art, and always also as an instrument for creating positive change, compassion, and social justice, wherever she is."

One of the first major films to launch on CNN+, the doc follows Warwick as a talking head as the 80-year-old iconic singer revisits influential moments from her life and work.

Warwick became the first solo Black woman to win a Grammy for her contemporary vocal performance of 1968's "Do You Know the Way to San Jose," and earned six total Grammy awards across her career.

CNN+ is expected to announce an exact premiere date for Dionne Warwick: Don't Make Me Over soon.

I read about the CNN acquisition of this documentary and just assumed that it would be on CNN, not the new CNN +. CNN has had some very good documentaries on CNN, and I hope that at some point, this will also be available on CNN. It deserves a bigger audience. Besides the film festivals, was it ever, or will it ever, be in theatres?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It deserves a bigger audience. Besides the film festivals, was it ever, or will it ever, be in theatres?
    Good Question! I'm hoping that Don't Make Me Over gets a theatrical release [and a home video release on Blu-Ray] however, you know how streaming services can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    From EntertainmentWeekly.com-
    That's what major network acquisition deals are for: CNN has set the premiere for its hotly anticipated music documentary Dionne Warwick: Don't Make Me Over.

Five months after Dave Wooley and David Heilbrone's film debuted to positive reviews at the 2021 Toronto International Film Festival, the network revealed Thursday that it will launch the nonfiction project as part of its CNN+ streaming service this spring.

"There have been many words to describe Dionne Warwick. However, for me, it comes down to one word: 'genius,'" said Wooley in a statement, adding that his research for the project points to Warwick being "a deeply transformational leader," and that "her extraordinary voice is a gift that she uses for her art, and always also as an instrument for creating positive change, compassion, and social justice, wherever she is."

One of the first major films to launch on CNN+, the doc follows Warwick as a talking head as the 80-year-old iconic singer revisits influential moments from her life and work.

Warwick became the first solo Black woman to win a Grammy for her contemporary vocal performance of 1968's "Do You Know the Way to San Jose," and earned six total Grammy awards across her career.

CNN+ is expected to announce an exact premiere date for Dionne Warwick: Don't Make Me Over soon.
    Unfortunately, you can't watch the TIFF cinema release on YouTube. But it's [[Tiff Originals]] picks up right after the viewing. A Q. & A. interview follows. Check it out. Well worth it! Guess we just gotta wait for CNN+ this spring.

Sadly, CNN+ self-desructed a month after birth. Anyone know if Dionne's TIFF cinema release was ever shown? Any other streaming platforms? Hulu maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Sadly, CNN+ self-desructed a month after birth. Anyone know if Dionne's TIFF cinema release was ever shown? Any other streaming platforms? Hulu maybe?
    I saw it as part of an online/virtual TIFF screening, from the comfort of my home It was a decent documentary. As a fan of hers, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it was nice to see her honoured with a documentary. She certainly deserves it. I would imagine that they will work out a new deal with a different streaming platform, in place of their deal with CNN+.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I saw it as part of an online/virtual TIFF screening, from the comfort of my home It was a decent documentary. As a fan of hers, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it was nice to see her honoured with a documentary. She certainly deserves it. I would imagine that they will work out a new deal with a different streaming platform, in place of their deal with CNN+.
    Ok. That's good. Do have the link or site, Carlo? I could only get the after release TIFF Q. & A. from YouTube.

Unfortunately the documentary was only available for a limited time to those who purchased passes, through the Toronto Film Festival, back in September. Afterward, it moved on to the Montclair Film Festival, which also took place last year. At the moment, it seems it cannot be viewed/streamed anywhere, so I'm hoping that they'll be making it available again soon, since the CNN+ deal fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Unfortunately the documentary was only available for a limited time to those who purchased passes, through the Toronto Film Festival, back in September. Afterward, it moved on to the Montclair Film Festival, which also took place last year. At the moment, it seems it cannot be viewed/streamed anywhere, so I'm hoping that they'll be making it available again soon, since the CNN+ deal fell through.
    Thank you. I for one will be waiting, impatiently. I still remember singing Walk On By in hs chorus in the 70s!! Tee hee

I saw the documentary at Montclair Film Festival and after the showing, Dionne was on stage in person being interviewed by Stephen Colbert. I liked the documentary, but as Carlo said, learned nothing new.

With the demise of CNN+, I hope CNN finds a spot to broadcast it. Warner Media owns CNN and HBO, so maybe it will find a home on HBO or HBO MAX. I am surprised that it was not shown in theatres, but then, many movies have skipped theatres since the pandemic